Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E11: Make No Mustique

PENULTIMATE EPISODE!

Things seem to be warming up between Liza and Charles, but a piece of intel and an exotic trip make Liza feel iced out; Kelsey moves into a new apartment, and Lauren throws her a housewarming party with a surprising ending.

Original air date: 6/3/21

(edited)

I need to check with TV tropes if there's an entry for 'completion fatigue'. I just want to push all these characters over the finishing line no matter how ridiculous their plots turn out.

So, Inkubator has a podcast now? Since when? Was this ever mentioned before? And who pays for all the free shots? And look: clever business woman Kelsey seals a deal with a handshake after 5 seconds of looking at the first page (I checked back she never even looked at the second page)? Also: Liza never got to take a look yet happily shakes hands with Charles. Sure, a handshake is not legally binding but holy cow ladies! And then clever business woman Kelsey runs to her new boyfriend - who isn't even in publishing - for advice and agrees to hand over what is clearly a confidential memo? Why are we supposed to root for these idiots?

Oh hi, Pauline and Lauren's parents - nobody really missed you but here you are.

Quinn's Evil Lady Coat is the episode's MVP - if the wardrobe department was doing its job as subtle as the writers room it would have been made of 101 Dalmatian puppies. Liza's blue halter neck dress and the red dress she wore to the housewarming were great too. Clearly focusing on fashion is what will help me reach the finishing line (despite Lauren's ridiculous half Alexis-Carrington-Colby-wannabe top).

Edited by MissLucas
  • Love 9

I admire y'all for watching Younger at the crack of dawn (is that what you're doing?) Anyway you have my gratitude for giving me something to read to distract myself from work. Spoilers be damned! Last episode Liza had a throwaway line about having a podcast 'in beta' or something. So dumb. Where would they find the time and resources to get a podcast 'in beta,' on their own? I guess they are doing a lot of 5-9 hustlin' like in the Dolly Parton Super Bowl commercial and they just weren't showing us that.

• Love 3
31 minutes ago, BingeyKohan said:

I admire y'all for watching Younger at the crack of dawn (is that what you're doing?) Anyway you have my gratitude for giving me something to read to distract myself from work. Spoilers be damned! Last episode Liza had a throwaway line about having a podcast 'in beta' or something. So dumb. Where would they find the time and resources to get a podcast 'in beta,' on their own? I guess they are doing a lot of 5-9 hustlin' like in the Dolly Parton Super Bowl commercial and they just weren't showing us that.

Haha, you got me pegged!  I actually watched it at the crack of dawn and then went back to bed for an hour, LOL.  I don't know why I've been in such a rush, though.  These last few episodes have been so predictable you don't even need to watch them.  So the penny finally drops with Charles.  Yawn.  It's so ridiculous you almost wonder how the actors keep a straight face in those scenes.  Lifetime Original Movie vibes, LOL.  It was an interesting twist for Pauline to have turned up with "her true love" and encourage Liza to pursue hers, but I suppose it works to redeem her somewhat.  So sending Liza a picture of a ring and telling her he planned on proposing to Quinn was a ruse, huh.  They didn't really make Quinn as much of a bitch in those last scenes as they could have. 

My husband actually knew Liza was headed for Million Air based on the background when she was in the cab.  So that was pretty realistic as far as these things go.

Question:  Who sent the text about the ring and "proposal"?  I was too groggy to remember.

• Love 4

33 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

Question:  Who sent the text about the ring and "proposal"?  I was too groggy to remember.

Pauline sent the text as part of the most pathetic storyline this show has ever seen - I know thats a very competitive category, but it might just have the edge over Chad & Thad.
Is Pauline afraid her daughters like new mommy Quinn more than their new Princeton daddy because she is loaded and can buy them ponies and stuff?

• Love 1
50 minutes ago, Aulty said:

Pauline sent the text as part of the most pathetic storyline this show has ever seen - I know thats a very competitive category, but it might just have the edge over Chad & Thad.
Is Pauline afraid her daughters like new mommy Quinn more than their new Princeton daddy because she is loaded and can buy them ponies and stuff?

Thanks, I knew it was probably her or Lauren.  Pathetic storyline indeed.

It feels like this season has been going on for approximately five hundred years, every single thing that I expected to happen has happened just the way I expected it to alongside a LOT of padding and showing not telling. Just because the show is pointing out its clichés (oh wow, running to the airport for love just like in a movie!) doesn't mean they aren't still clichés. It just means that they know they're being lame and are trying to cover it up by acting like admitting how lame they are compensates for their lameness, which it does not. 

I guess that Inkubator podcast has very quickly made it to the App Store and I am sure will be a huge hit because this show is convinced that Inkubator is just the coolest and most unique thing ever and that Kelsey and Liza are geniuses for figuring out that open mic nights are a thing and that people like free shots. How this thing works continues to baffle me, especially as they act like the greater company has no say over what they do despite being funded by them, but I'm not a super duper publishing genius I guess. 

Liza and Charles getting back together and Charles deciding that marriage isn't a deal break anymore could not have been more obvious, it almost makes them breaking up at all for just a few episodes so close to the end completely pointless. Except this will allow Quinn to go full soap opera villain after they spent a few episodes showing her as an actual person. With the amount of random villains this show has accumulated, I feel like the finale is destined to involve someone getting shoved into a pool. 

• Love 4
(edited)
2 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

With the amount of random villains this show has accumulated, I feel like the finale is destined to involve someone getting shoved into a pool. 

Ah, good times!

I vote for Pauline and Quinn re-enacting Krystle vs Alexis in the lily pond!

Edited by MissLucas
  • LOL 4
  • Love 2

So Charles finally admits “I honestly don’t even like the woman.” So Quinn was a rebound and revenge relationship against Liza then. I think the writers did a disservice by putting her and Charles together, rather than just letting Liza and Charles be single along the way, before they get back together again.

I can’t believe it’s the finale next week already and all we’ve seen of Diana was a zoom call. TPTB said the reason why they couldn’t have Miriam Shor as a full cast member was due to Covid-19 considerations, which I took to mean that they’re trying to work with a small cast as much as possible. I understand if that’s really the case, but ugh, they found a way to have Claire be in a couple of episodes, and Kelsey’s new bf who was a totally new character this season. Diana was sorely missed, and a huge reason why this last season was a letdown. 

• Love 7
13 hours ago, Yeah No said:

Million Air

No clue what this is or means

58 minutes ago, slowpoked said:

I can’t believe it’s the finale next week already and all we’ve seen of Diana was a zoom call.

Guessing Diana is occupied with another project and can't work on this one because of time and travel.

2 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Thank you.  Specifically, in this episode they were going to the one at the airport in Westchester County, NY.  You could see the sign on the glass when they focused on Quinn in one of her scenes there. 

Million Air is one of those places rich people go to charter a small jet or use the coordinated FBO (fixed based operation) services of the company to manage their own private jets.  My husband's semi-retirement career was owning and driving a limousine and his uber-rich clients often took flights to and from there.  After about a year of virtually no work due to the pandemic, he got hired by a Westport based client as his personal driver, who often charters flights out of there.  How the 1% live.  Or in this guy's case, the .5%, LOL.

BTW, due to the pandemic it became more common for uber-rich people to charter small jets to avoid coming into contact with too many people. 

4 hours ago, slowpoked said:

I can’t believe it’s the finale next week already and all we’ve seen of Diana was a zoom call. TPTB said the reason why they couldn’t have Miriam Shor as a full cast member was due to Covid-19 considerations, which I took to mean that they’re trying to work with a small cast as much as possible. I understand if that’s really the case, but ugh, they found a way to have Claire be in a couple of episodes, and Kelsey’s new bf who was a totally new character this season. Diana was sorely missed, and a huge reason why this last season was a letdown. 

I agree, but I thought it was because she was otherwise occupied and I figure that because of Covid the show (and possibly her too) didn't want to be traveling back and forth from wherever she was to film the show, so they gave her the zoom option.  I thought that was a good compromise, but I didn't think it was going to be one 2 minute appearance.  From the way they made it sound before the season aired we were going to see her a few times.  I suppose she might reappear in the finale but it still will feel like we got g*****!

A similar thing happened on another show I watched, "American Housewife" where a female cast member (Ali Wong) appeared in its last season only via video calls.  Although there was no formal reason given by the show or ON the show for this situation, it was rumored that she might have been especially Covid-avoidant and/or occupied elsewhere.  Then after a few episodes, she disappeared and it looked like they replaced her with other in-person characters.  Then the show got canceled anyway.

• Love 2
(edited)
59 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

I agree, but I thought it was because she was otherwise occupied and I figure that because of Covid the show (and possibly her too) didn't want to be traveling back and forth from wherever she was to film the show, so they gave her the zoom option.  I thought that was a good compromise, but I didn't think it was going to be one 2 minute appearance.

iirc Miriam Shor has a house in Italy (she spent part of her childhood there). If she was in Europe last autumn it would have been possible for her to travel to the US, but a lot more difficult to return to Italy legally.
But it doesn't have to be travel related. If she has asthma or something that puts her more at risk from Covid it would probably make her uninsurable on set.

Only having her on for only 2 minutes is taking the mickey.

Edited by Aulty
  • Love 3

I guess we’re just supposed to believe the Chicago syndicate of old white guys in suits that Charles has to go begging to loved Inkubator at first sight? I feel like he would have gotten a lot of “for that reason I’m out”s in that room. (And why wouldn’t Liza and Kelsey pitch then anyway, not Charles?)

• Love 2
(edited)

Can we talk about how big of a piece of shit Rob is for sending the Inkubator pitch to literally everyone in the world? I get that it was for convoluted reasons so that Quinn would get it, but he sucks.

Edited by bilgistic
  • Love 3
3 minutes ago, bilgistic said:

Can we talk about how big of a piece of shit Rob is for sending the Inkubator pitch to literally everyone in the world? I get that it was for convoluted reasons so that Quinn would get it, but he sucks.

I think he sent it to one person then that person forwarded it then that person forwarded it etc -- but regardless I do think this episode was supposed to make him seem a little shady? i doubt he makes it to the finish line with Kelsey. 

• Love 4
1 minute ago, bilgistic said:

Can we talk about how big of a piece of shit Rob is for sending the Inkubator pitch to literally everyone in the world?

I think he sent it to only one person but that person sent it to another one and so on... A classic case of 'two persons in the know of a secret is one person too many'.

I'm still not over Kelsey asking him for advice. It's another instance of the giant gap between show and tell that defines her character. We're told she's this incredibly business savvy, emancipated young woman - yet we see her running with a business proposal to her boyfriend. Why??? Why could she not discuss this with Liza who is her partner or  a lawyer specializing in such deals (she can't consult with one of Empirical's lawyers because they a) don't exist and b) conflict of interest) or she could have asked Diana!!!

• Love 3

I can't tell if we are supposed to think Rob is a dick or not.

The actor plays it completely ambiguous.

But my take is he dated Claire and dating doesn't sometimes work out.  I don't think that in itself makes him a dick.

My take on him sending Kelsey pitch is he shouldn't of done it

But I am glad he did.

When is Kelsey going to see the writing on the wall about Charles?

Now you guys know I love Charles but Kelsey started there as Charles hire and he still sees her and someone he has to coach.

He is frequently condescending to her.  He frequently makes comments to her he would never say to someone else.  She will never be truly running anything under Charles.  She has turned down so many opportunities to stay where she is comfortable.  And the last time she stayed she lost being an editor without so much as boo from Charles to the board.  She needs to go.

Liza and Charles was always going to happen but they never worked out their problems and why all the development with Quinn for nada

I like Max with Lauren, I always did.  I think Lauren is into him she doesn't like that he's perfect on paper

I saw an inkling of Josh romance with Kelsey and its a nope for me.

• Love 3
15 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I agree, but I thought it was because she was otherwise occupied and I figure that because of Covid the show (and possibly her too) didn't want to be traveling back and forth from wherever she was to film the show, so they gave her the zoom option.  I thought that was a good compromise, but I didn't think it was going to be one 2 minute appearance.  From the way they made it sound before the season aired we were going to see her a few times.  I suppose she might reappear in the finale but it still will feel like we got g*****!

I guess if that’s the case, then that makes sense. But theoretically, if a character needs to be sidelined due to COVID-19 limitations, I would have gone with Lauren. The character was just so especially annoying this season. If a regular human being behaved the way she did in the workplace, that person would have fired a long time ago. Her antics are not especially funny.

Incidentally, did Diana ever learn Liza’s real age? The seasons are so far apart I can’t remember anymore. Because if Diana didn’t know yet, and Miriam’s screen time was cut criminally short this year and there would never be a chance to know, I would feel greatly cheated. I feel that Diana should have been one of the first persons to know, given that she essentially gave Liza her second chance at a successful professional career. 

5 hours ago, dmc said:

Liza and Charles was always going to happen but they never worked out their problems and why all the development with Quinn for nada

I was actually surprised that they permanently closed the book of Liza/Josh at the first episode of this season. I thought they would have done the triangle again, if for the last time. But this season telegraphed the endgame pretty early on. 

I always knew she was going to end up with Charles, but I’m probably one of the few people who were Team Josh, or at least not totally opposed to him for Liza. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, slowpoked said:

Incidentally, did Diana ever learn Liza’s real age? The seasons are so far apart I can’t remember anymore. Because if Diana didn’t know yet, and Miriam’s screen time was cut criminally short this year and there would never be a chance to know, I would feel greatly cheated. I feel that Diana should have been one of the first persons to know, given that she essentially gave Liza her second chance at a successful professional career. 

Yes, Diana was the last one to find out. I think it happened when Pauline outed Liza when speaking publicly at least a season ago.  They showed a clip from that episode in this episode.  She just blurts out that Liza Miller is a 42 year old divorced woman, not the 26 year old she's been claiming to be.  I remember thinking that Diana wasn't half as mad at Liza as she should have been.  She was probably more pissed knowing that she was the last one to find out.

What I'm having trouble remembering is what happened to Enzo.  Did Diana break up with him?  I forget.

7 hours ago, dmc said:

Same. I think that at the very least they were trying to plant the seed of jealousy with Rob. First Josh seemed very protective when he asked Rob if he was going to be as careless with Kelsey as he'd been with Claire. Then they had Kelsey touching Josh while they were talking about how much they would miss sharing a bathroom as roomies. Now to me (a person who has had lots of platonic friends), this stuff is nothing. But it's tv so of course Rob will read too much into it and get jealous/suspect that there's something going on between Kelsey and Josh.

• Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, Yeah No said:

What I'm having trouble remembering is what happened to Enzo.  Did Diana break up with him?  I forget.

They got married. He’s the one on the honeymoon with her.

Thanks for the refresher on Pauline outing Liza and Diana finding out that way. You inspired me to search for a clip, and here’s what I found:

Scenes like this prove that Diana/Miriam Shor is just irreplaceable. No one can do caustic, yet sincere emotion like she does. They tried this season with Quinn, but it just wasn’t the same. 

Edited by slowpoked
  • Love 11

I'm happy that Liza and Charles are back together but wish they'd never broken up in the first place. I would have much rather watched this season where they are happily together and there are other storylines or obstacles that don't involve Charles acting like a different person for much of it. 

It's like he suddenly came out of his weird brain fog and became Charles again who loved Liza all along. Waste of time and lazy writing IMO. I'm always more impressed when a show can keep a couple interesting and together rather than throwing in contrived problems and breakups just to create drama. 

I too desperately miss Diana. She's my favorite character and every time Lauren is on I can't help but think "Diana would be funnier in this situation." I don't mind Lauren at all, but small doses of her are definitely better. 

Surprised at how little Josh is in this season. He's basically a nonentity after being such a major character for so many years. 

• Love 6
(edited)
12 hours ago, dmc said:

4 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Same. I think that at the very least they were trying to plant the seed of jealousy with Rob ... But it's tv so of course Rob will read too much into it and get jealous/suspect that there's something going on between Kelsey and Josh.

I wouldn't rule it out the way this season is going, but they already had a go at that. When Josh, Kelsey and Lauren took off for a few days to go to at Lauren's former bosses' penis villa. Josh and Kelsey kissed but agreed that its weird or something like that.

Edited by Aulty
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, slowpoked said:

I guess if that’s the case, then that makes sense. But theoretically, if a character needs to be sidelined due to COVID-19 limitations, I would have gone with Lauren. The character was just so especially annoying this season. If a regular human being behaved the way she did in the workplace, that person would have fired a long time ago. Her antics are not especially funny.

I was actually surprised that they permanently closed the book of Liza/Josh at the first episode of this season. I thought they would have done the triangle again, if for the last time. But this season telegraphed the endgame pretty early on. 

I always knew she was going to end up with Charles, but I’m probably one of the few people who were Team Josh, or at least not totally opposed to him for Liza. 

I was okay with Josh or Charles as I like them both

9 hours ago, Aulty said:

I wouldn't rule it out the way this season is going, but they already had a go at that. When Josh, Kelsey and Lauren took off for a few days to go to at Lauren's former bosses' penis villa. Josh and Kelsey kissed but agreed that its weird or something like that.

Right they better not toss Kelsey at Josh the last episode and be like...okey dokey happy ending for all

Kelsey and Josh are friends and if they wanted them to be more they needed to establish that WAY before now.

• Love 2
On 6/3/2021 at 5:17 PM, tennisgurl said:

It feels like this season has been going on for approximately five hundred years, every single thing that I expected to happen has happened just the way I expected it to alongside a LOT of padding and showing not telling. Just because the show is pointing out its clichés (oh wow, running to the airport for love just like in a movie!) doesn't mean they aren't still clichés. It just means that they know they're being lame and are trying to cover it up by acting like admitting how lame they are compensates for their lameness, which it does not. 

Liza and Charles getting back together and Charles deciding that marriage isn't a deal break anymore could not have been more obvious, it almost makes them breaking up at all for just a few episodes so close to the end completely pointless. Except this will allow Quinn to go full soap opera villain after they spent a few episodes showing her as an actual person. With the amount of random villains this show has accumulated, I feel like the finale is destined to involve someone getting shoved into a pool. 

It's really exhausting. The entire show has been leading to Charles & Liza, obvious from the jump, and even people like me who adamantly did not want it knew it was happening, knew it was the whole point. So for me it just felt like an inevitability and when they finally did get together the show could focus on the fun stuff, so I was actually looking forward to that point. And then they decided to just reset and do it all over again for the last season. It feels like a rip-off for Liza/Charles fans and those of us who don't like them together. Who did this please? Did they think anyone was going to get nervous when they had him date a cartoon monster five seconds after the breakup? 

Really hoping at least someone isn't paired off for their character's ending.

Also, just... how truly stupid is Liza for never thinking Pauline might be seeing her ring?

• Love 4

Did anyone else catch that Lauren’s dream was a reference to the horrible Netflix show Sex/Life? 

I’m glad Charles and Liza are back together, but the stakes felt very low. Paulina scheming to get them together definitely seemed weird.

Liza and Kelsey keep making decisions without consulting each other. That doesn’t bode well for a long term partnership. 

Next week is the finale and frankly, I’m glad I waited to watch it for free on TVLAND instead of paying for another streaming service. This season hasn’t been great  so far. 

Does anyone know if TVLAND is going to repeat this season. I watched this episode, but I had my DVR set to record, and for the first time ever, it didn't record this episode. Weird.

Quinn treating Charles like a subordinate/child was COLD. She's going to have to find another nice looking prop for her run for Governor.

1 hour ago, chessiegal said:

Does anyone know if TVLAND is going to repeat this season. I watched this episode, but I had my DVR set to record, and for the first time ever, it didn't record this episode. Weird.

My DVR didn't record this episode, either. I watched in On Demand.

I thought Kelsey wanted to keep Inkubator separate from Empirical because she was afraid Charles would cherry-pick authors and not take chances on any of the up-and-comers she and Liza wanted to nature. Isn't that exactly what Charles wants to do? 

I thought the point of a private plane is that it's on your schedule? I know there are flight slots and stuff like that, but isn't it easier to make adjustments?

Of course Charles and Liza are end game. Sigh.