Type keyword(s) to search

S12.E25: DinoDon; Copper Cow Coffee; Lit Handlers; Super Potty Trainer

• Start Topic

Sharks: Mark, Daymond, Kevin, Lori, Robert

Realistic, life sized dinosaur animatronics that you can buy for yourself; A pour-first Vietnamese sustainable coffee; Beverage coolers with many designs with handles on them; A back rest for babies potty-training so they don’t fear falling into the toilet.

(edited)

Season Finale

1. Dino Don-(Don has a dinosaur named after him, and was a technical consultant to Steven Spielberg on Jurassic World)- Big, noisy realistic dinosaur robots.    The sellers have a cooperative project to support museums.  The dinos are up to 110 feet long.   He tours groups of the dinosaurs to various zoos and museum to raise money to support the institutions.     Many of the dinos are $5,000 and up.  Kevin and Daymond want to buy them right now.   Don wants to do a gate share with the zoos, and museums.  They have 150 dinos to go on tour.   Kevin doesn't think their business values are accurate, and really doesn't believe the profits.   Mark offers the money for 25%. and makes the deal. (the back of their shirts say "We Love You Mark Cuban") 

2, Copper Cow Coffee-Vietnamese coffee, dark roast, with sweetened condensed milk for at home.  Her margins (70%), and numbers are fantastic.  80% of sales are online.   Her profit, and losses are not great.   I can't figure out with her millions in sales, she has no profit.    Robert makes the deal for 8%.

3. Lit Handlers-Sleeves for all sizes of beverage containers.  There's a built in fabric handle, and pocket in the handle.   Good sales this year, made in China, on track to sell $780,000 this year.     Seller is super impressive, knows her numbers.  50/50 online, and retail, with great margins.  Lori says seller doesn't need a partner.  She wants help with licensing, and growing the company.  Daymond makes the deal, beating out Kevin.  (They sell these on Amazon, charge shipping and handling.   They have one that fits pint ice cream containers). 

4. Super Potty Trainer-A potty training aid to keep the kid from falling in the toilet.  I'm out, I have no kids.  Valuation is based on talks they're having with Walmart.    They have no sales, and barely any inventory.  Daymond and Lori are talking about going in together, for 50%.   They want to do a licensing deal.   Lori and Daymond make the deal. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

The Coffe thing. Given her great margins, how was she losing all that money, esp given IIRC half her sales were direct ? Only thing I can think of is that her earlier investors were loan sharks. She should have been much more profitable . I’m surprised the sharks didn’t dig deeper on that.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2

Loved the dino folks.  Great business, they know what they're talking about.  If they hadn't gotten the deal with Mark, would they have had to back out of the tank, or would it just have been edited? 

I liked the coffee thing, although I like it black, which to me is not Vietnamese coffee.  I think it would really work if you're traveling and have access to hot water but not the equipment to do other than instant.  I would market to hotels, if I were  her.  I liked her though., and thought they were pretty rude.  

The potty thing, I'm not at all in the market for that.  Didn't really care for the couple, the whole thing is 1 product.  On the other hand, I didn't see the point of the Squatty Potty and now I love mine.

Lit handles: Nice product, but I didn't get the name.  

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, mjc570 said:

Loved the dino folks.  Great business, they know what they're talking about.  If they hadn't gotten the deal with Mark, would they have had to back out of the tank, or would it just have been edited? 

I was wondering that too. How awkward would it have been if they were only able to make a deal with Robert or someone and then couldn't show their backs?

I guess the potty training people have a good product, but I'm guessing that women's daughter is not pleased to have her mother discussing her potty training fears in detail on TV. 

I didn't get why Damon was so rude to the coffee woman. He thought she didn't need the money? He wants her to do more to help people? She didn't even seem to be turning a profit. It seems like there are a lot of other people on the show who could have been asked that question. Maybe I missed something.

• Love 5
On 5/21/2021 at 8:05 PM, KaveDweller said:

I didn't get why Damon was so rude to the coffee woman. He thought she didn't need the money? He wants her to do more to help people? She didn't even seem to be turning a profit. It seems like there are a lot of other people on the show who could have been asked that question. Maybe I missed something.

I was confused by this as well. Wonder what put that burr under Damon's saddle?

• Love 3

My question about the coffee lady was why she had so much in the bank, but yet so much debt, and wanted more money from the sharks?  The lack of profits with the amount of sales was strange too.     It just didn't make sense. 

Lit also means exciting or excellent, or a lot of fun.   Another slang term I had to look up, because I have no clue about the meaning.    

I like the assortment on Amazon, and think it looks like a useful, and product at a decent price.

• Love 1
On 5/21/2021 at 11:05 PM, KaveDweller said:

Add me to the confused list.

23 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

My question about the coffee lady was why she had so much in the bank, but yet so much debt, and wanted more money from the sharks?  The lack of profits with the amount of sales was strange too.     It just didn't make sense. 

I also found it strange - wouldn't you use the cash to pay down your debt and reduce the amount of interest you owe?  They always tell people with financial problems to pay down your debt first - especially credit card debt.

I had two toddlers who did not want to be potty trained, and were also afraid of the toilet, so I consider myself to be somewhat of an expert on this.  I thought that this potty trainer was a bad idea.  Unless this is installed on a toilet dedicated to the toddler's use, someone other than the toddler has to set this up every time they want to use it and make sure that they put it down in the correct location on the toilet for the sizing.  Also, the under seat of the toilet tends to get quite disgusting.  You would be constantly wiping off the seat, the bowl, and this gadget all the time.   No thank you!

The drink holders seemed ok, but I just could not get that excited about them - maybe because I don't tend to carry drinks with me other than a refillable water bottle, and have not struggled with transporting it.

Those dinosaurs were awesome - I would love to see an exhibit of them someday.

• Love 2
57 minutes ago, aemom said:

I also found it strange - wouldn't you use the cash to pay down your debt and reduce the amount of interest you owe?  They always tell people with financial problems to pay down your debt first - especially credit card debt.

I agree, when you have $1.5 million in the bank, why are you coming on Shark Tank for a deal, and why aren't you paying some debt down?    I bet there was a lot we weren't told about the issue Daymond had with the seller, that ended up on the cutting room floor.        There was something very strange about the pitch, the deal, and the interaction with the sharks.   

The cup holder sounded strange at the beginning, but I know so many who have used the cups without handles, and had a big spill.   So a cover with a handle would work at giving you a better grip, and if there are several people with plain outsides on their cup, it helps you figure out which one is yours.    Also, the holder for ice cream pints has a pocket, you can put the spoon in it, and I liked that idea.  

• Love 4

I usually like Damon, but I had no idea what he was trying to get to with his point on the coffee lady trying to raise capital with money in the bank while others are struggling in the pandemic. Just was weird and didn’t make sense to me considering that line of thinking can apply to many others so far in this season.

On 5/23/2021 at 7:54 AM, khyber said:

I think Damon's issue was that she kept losing millions of dollars and was very nonchalant about it.  I think she had already lost like 3M or something like that and she seemed like she'd be okay to just keep losing more money and that's what made Damon upset.  I don't think it was so much that she had lost money but it was just there was no explanation or care about it.

I wish she would have had the Sharks make the coffee themselves (provided them with hot water then the bag set up) as I have the product but I've only used it once and when I poured the hot water into the bag all the ground floated to the top then over the side and into my cup.  I would've liked to have seen if that was just a challenge for me.

I'm glad someone else mentioned the potty training thing and that the child would  have to put it in and take it out unless you have an extra bathroom.  That seemed like it could be dangerous but it wasn't mentioned on the show.    

I really liked the Dinosaur people and the young lady with the bottle sleeve thing.  I have no use for either but glad they got deals.

I understand the limitations around Covid but boy this season just was not great as far as the products/ pitches go (to me anyway).

• Love 4
3 hours ago, I Want My MBTV said:

I wish she would have had the Sharks make the coffee themselves (provided them with hot water then the bag set up) as I have the product but I've only used it once and when I poured the hot water into the bag all the ground floated to the top then over the side and into my cup.  I would've liked to have seen if that was just a challenge for me.

I was wondering, when she demoed it, why she put such little water in.  This is likely why.   I wish the Sharks had asked about repeat customers.  

• Love 1
On 5/24/2021 at 11:52 AM, aemom said:

I had two toddlers who did not want to be potty trained, and were also afraid of the toilet, so I consider myself to be somewhat of an expert on this.  I thought that this potty trainer was a bad idea.

Me, too. The first thing I said was, "kids are too small to get up on the toilet, that's why you have the potty." I don't know too many kids who want to have their feet dangling half a foot off the ground while they're just learning to do their business. Using this would involve putting a step stool or something they could put their feet on while they sat, so they wouldn't be afraid they would fall off.

The reason the daughter felt comfortable enough to use the toilet when her mom was sitting there was likely because her mom was there, not because she had something supporting her back. What a weird solution in search of a problem.

• Love 5
11 hours ago, Eolivet said:

Using this would involve putting a step stool or something they could put their feet on while they sat, so they wouldn't be afraid they would fall off.

They can package it with the Squatty Potty. 

• LOL 3

I was glad the season finale had original Sharks and not any guest sharks.  I just enjoy the originals more than the guests.  

Daymond stated that he can't sleep at night if he loses even a dime of someone else's money, so I think that was his issue-that she just didn't seem to care (after all, it's not her money she's losing).  I get it and agree with it-one has to be super responsible with other people's money.

I totally expected Lori to get the potty training thing.  I was surprised she partnered with Daymond as I thought she would want the entire 50%.

I think the dino people could increase profits by also selling their creations.  That would be two streams of revenue (and it would be a small consumer base but it would add revenues).

• Love 2
(edited)

Yes, Daymond, and another shark wanted them for their own yards.   (Either Mark or Kevin wanted one too, I think).    I can see rich people paying a lot to get a herd for their estates.     I can also see the huge indoor recreation areas (Great Wolf Lodge for one) getting some for decoration.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 1

It has been weeks since the show aired, so I decided to look at the "Super Potty Trainer" reviews on Amazon and it wasn't there.  There were many potty seats that go on top of the regular seat that have a back to them, which would be much ore practical than having to lift up and down the toilet seat and then have to get the Super Potty back in the right spot.  

I wish one of the sharks would have brought up how cumbersome that potty was, but I suppose they can all afford designated potty training bathrooms that no one but toddlers use.  I also wish they would have asked the potty people jsut how their seat makes the potty training process any faster.  The seat doesn't teach kids to understand when they need to go.

• Love 1