Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E08: I Did Not See That Coming

I was mostly ok with Russell taking the rug because the owners had been mistreating it, but I'm not happy they've apparently turned him to klepto who "liberates" expensive objects and heirlooms because they were being mistreated. Boo.

I've been a Divya apologist lately, but even I was glad her story focused on the patient (even though there was a maternity angle).

I think I'm tired of Dr. Bob. Still don't care about Emma.

Liked Jeremiah and Viviana going on a date; not liking Divya thinking it was a "business" transaction. That seems like lazy writing.

Hank's new love interest: not sure yet. I like her more than some others he has had (and I was secretly thrilled she left him after he brought up the transplant) but I'm not convinced there is much chemistry there.

• Love 1

I agree with everything Catray said. I do like Charlotte and i love seeing Hank smile, but I'm worried this is part of Hank's hero complex that he feels he needs to help her as opposed to just being with her. I don't know.

I appreciated the comedy of the Russell moment at the end, and Paige's face - but klepto? No.

What's the over/under on when Jeremiah proposes the green card marriage?

Am OVER Emma. Cinco = tool. The mean girl = beeyotch who deserves her absinthe photo on snarkhampton. I *did like that Emma at least had the smarts to call Hank for help.

This whole "Emma Who?" is just too contrived.  Of course this girl who has been in the Hamptons for a couple of weeks is the bestest, prettiest, etc. (where do you get your hair done?) um, no.  I did like the line about her two gay dads though.  Am also not sure about the new love interest, but mainly it may be because I think Hank is pretty chemistry free with whomever they pair him up.  I'm tired of the counseling sessions for Evan and Paige.  Sigh.

(edited)
What's the over/under on when Jeremiah proposes the green card marriage?

Season "cliffhanger" maybe?

I have zero interest for Hank romance. The show tries to do too much all the time. There are some people who just like to work and don't feel the need for relationships.

I'm tired of the counseling sessions for Evan and Paige.

I don't see how their 'issues' are anything more than mundane married life. Everything has to be a Thing on tv. 

What's worse is that there's seemingly 17 different people writing Evan/Paige. They've been shown to each have their own shit going on, which is great because normally the tv wife doesn't, and they've been shown to be able to talk things out on their own. Then, we get buffoon Evan and Paige who has to run to the therapist to ask permission to go to the bathroom. It's inane. 

There are some couples that tend to argue a lot and it's not that big a deal. 

I really, really, really despise Divya's attitude with Jeremiah when they are seeing patients. She started with the firefighters. You are a PA, a good one, but a PA. Jeremiah is your boss. He was way beyond polite in asking her to not get clouded about the patient, and she blew him off. 

What in the living fuck has Divya done to "be there for Jeremiah?"

Edited by ganesh

She's there in his house for him at all times, has her daughter be there for him all the time too -- is it her fault that he doesn't talk to her and tell her his problems or secrets -- after all, she's there just for him!

(edited)

I don't care what happens to anyone on this show as long as Divya can Have It All. 

Seriously, the Emma plot is useless though. Completely unneeded. 

Wow, you see Jeremiah with a woman and automatically go to hooker. This show can really suck.

Edited by ganesh

I really, really, really despise Divya's attitude with Jeremiah when they are seeing patients. She started with the firefighters. You are a PA, a good one, but a PA. Jeremiah is your boss. He was way beyond polite in asking her to not get clouded about the patient, and she blew him off.

I co-sign this with one exception: She didn't just blow him off; she was condescending and rude. Of course she diagnosed all her issues. I am sure POW will be pregnant with triplets and will name them all Divya. Mr. Crs has learned to pause after her scenes to give me a moment to rant. I cannot believe TPTB cannot see how badly they're writing her character!

I'm wondering if the writers and actor don't realize it and think they've created this 2014 version of The Enjoli Woman. 

I mean it's one thing if the actor is playing it that way, but I don't think she is. The scene were they were both blatantly ignoring Jeremiah who was doing his job was the height of unprofessionalism. I wonder if she thinks she has more latitude because she is a major stakeholder?

I actually didn't have a problem with her cracking the case. She was on call and went to check on the patient; she is supposed to do that. And it was pretty obvious to anyone with analytical skills when you walked into the kitchen that the pots might be the problem. 

(edited)

I was mostly ok with Russell taking the rug because the owners had been mistreating it, but I'm not happy they've apparently turned him to klepto who "liberates" expensive objects and heirlooms because they were being mistreated. Boo.

So much WTFuckery in this episode, but this one just nags at me. I liked that Russell was rescuing a unique and priceless item from people who would have destroyed it without turning a hair. Of course it's a thing and not a life, but I see it as something like an animal lover liberating an abused pet from a horrible person before it dies a miserable preventable death.

Once would have been admirable. Sure, the rug is real Holy Shit! expensive, but it obviously wasn't about the money to him but about saving something irreplaceable that happened to be expensive. But now by piling on that he's done it before several times it muddies the waters as to motive, and I hate that. Now Russell looks like a bit of a weasel, and on this show that's Evan's job.

I wasn't paying close attention to the episode because there was way too much Divya and I'd wander away a bit. Did Russell give the rug back to those twits? If so, that was the real criminal act.

Edited by CoderLady

Not for anything, but I would have slammed the door on Paige's face. She's got to bring her therapist to do some dippy shit? "Russell, we're in business together and our behavior reflects on one another. I'm not comfortable you took the rug, and I think it's unprofessional. Let's forget about, but this can't happen again."

You know, like adults.

I love this show.  It's perfect summer fluff to me.  I'm happy that Hank has somebody in his life, at least for the moment.  She does own a business across the country.  I don't think Russell's motives changed, I think he just got really comfortable rescuing beautiful objects from unhappy homes.  It's not about the monetary value for him, IMO.

I know Russell is very, very wrong, but I couldn't help laughing when he noted for Paige all the items he had "rescued" over the years.  The look on her face was priceless.

• Love 1
It's not about the monetary value for him, IMO.

Oh definitely not. But Paige was concerned because it is actually stealing. If found out, their fledgling business is fucked.

I'd actually liked it if the show had some balls and went all in and Paige and Russell were totally liberation partners. 

• Love 2

I'd actually liked it if the show had some balls and went all in and Paige and Russell were totally liberation partners. 

This 10+. It would give USA a chance to do a little something to make the show a bit more edgy in a fun way and maybe keep them from being tempted to do something dark.

Wow, you see Jeremiah with a woman and automatically go to hooker. This show can really suck.

Well, in fairness, Viviana was dressed exactly like the Julia Roberts character in the opening scene of Pretty Woman (sans cute cap). And hey, her name was Vivian!  *Chandler voice* Could this show get any lazier? /CV

My huge WTF moment (and there were many) was when they had to get the guide down the mountain with a broken leg. Wouldn't most groups that included 2 in-shape men just hold him up by the arms and half-carry him as he hopped on his good leg? But no, Hank had to assemble a perfect stretcher with sticks and a bicycle tire. Which had to be more difficult - and heavier - to carry!

The stretcher was more of a splint for his fractured leg, something important so he wouldn't lose it.

I can buy the hooker thing because Jeremiah was giving her money. I'm sure if there was no money exchange, Divya wouldn't have thought anything of it.

I like Hank's girlfriend, which only means that her surgery will go horribly wrong and she will blame him. He deserves to be happy and she doesn't seem so crazy like his previous interests.

Paige continues to be awesome and Emma continues to be an idiot. I'm suppose to feel sorry for what mess she's gotten herself into with Oz?

Edited by twoods
I can buy the hooker thing because Jeremiah was giving her money. I'm sure if there was no money exchange, Divya wouldn't have thought anything of it.

So any man that happens to be giving a woman money at night is a hooker?

Divya is a horribly self-centered person and for the most part, shallow since she's been on the show. She says, "I've done all I can to be there for Jeremiah" and now he's saying he has "private matters" and not telling me and pouting about it. This is allegedly one of your best friends who literally opened his home to you when you got knocked up and hasn't demanded a cent in rent. He wants some time on his own outside of HankMed, of which is he is literally The Boss, so how is that your business? And if you see him with a woman, she must be a hooker because who would go out with him? Oh yeah, the pop star, who everyone on the show acknowledged that she and Jeremiah were totally cute together. 

And of course, you always pay hookers openly in the street so anyone can see. Give me a fucking break. No offense to the actor but Divya can go fuck herself. So the show is basically violating its own canon for cheap manufactured drama. But we should all be focused on whether Divya "Can Have It All." [actual line of dialogue]

As someone who is currently on Lupron and trying to get pregnant, I was totally ready to throw something at my TV when they inevitably had the patient become miraculously pregnant on her own, as almost every TV show and movie that attempts to discuss infertility does. Therefore, I was very pleasantly surprised that not only did they get the Lupron side-effects right (yeah, it sucks), but also all the other treatments and drugs. I also liked how they said that removing the excess copper from her system would "improve her chances" rather than cure all of her infertility issues. And DH was happy that I didn't have to break the TV.

I do agree with others who are not happy with the Russel the Klepto storyline. I was kind of on his side about the rug, but then it got icky when it turned out that his whole house seemed to be furnished with "rescued" items.

My huge WTF moment (and there were many) was when they had to get the guide down the mountain with a broken leg. Wouldn't most groups that included 2 in-shape men just hold him up by the arms and half-carry him as he hopped on his good leg? But no, Hank had to assemble a perfect stretcher with sticks and a bicycle tire. Which had to be more difficult - and heavier - to carry!

I kept waiting for them to ask for help from the bodyguards you know Boris has following him since he is such a target. Or Boris' helicopter. Or, you know, use a cell phone. Having said that, I like the McGuyver medicine scenes best.

I am generally unsatisfied with the season. Divya is insufferable. Evan bugs as usual. I am tired of the couples counseling. And Emma is annoying. If it weren't for my undying love of Hank, I would be bailing.

• Love 1

Finally saw this episode. Loved Boris (whose character I wish they would kill off), hiking with those hiking poles. Looked silly. But they needed them for the McGyver miracle to follow. Lucky thing that someone had his machete-like knife with him. Where did the wire come from? Maybe the bicycle spokes. Maybe the rider was wearing braces?

Not seeing Divya as becoming interested in Jeremy. I keep looking for that, but see no evidence of her growing attraction to him. She's too consumed with herself to be more than curious/nosy. Rolled my eyes when she talked about being so close to him. I guess a lot more goes on off-camera.

Tired of Paige's itty-bitty dresses and accessories. The manufactured marital problems between her and Evan are idiotic. Evan's asinine hypersensitivity to using common words (like "see") to a blind person. What's he like, in the fourth grade now?

What's so honorable about rescuing rare items from abuse and storage in a basement and keeping them for yourself? Seriously, that guy is a criminal.

I feel that the expected maturity and/or IQ level of the intended viewer has sunk many years/points with time. I'm okay with a little TV fluff, but this crap has become too juvenile.

I find Emma to be the most interesting character. Up to no good, but seemingly quite level-headed and nice enough (sort of). What's going on in her world is far more interesting than what's going on in the others' worlds. For me, she, Hank (when he's not involved with Boris), and Jeremiah are the most bearable characters right now.

Like the sunshine and scenery, though.

It says a lot about a show when the best adjective is 'bearable.' 

Evan is the most inconsistently written character I think I've ever seen on tv. One week he's a buffon, the next week he's an effective CFO of HankMed.

I don't care about anything to do with Emma. I don't get the need for every show seemingly to have teen plots. It just feels forced. I'd rather they spend more time on Russell and Paige. 

I don't get the need for every show seemingly to have teen plots.

Don't forget, it's about advertising dollars. Teens and young adults are a prime target.

To me, it's increasingly obvious that teens are who this show is catering to now. That's why Evan remains goofy and Paige wears those clothes. Hank and Divya seem to be fading.

Going by what's on the CW network, I don't see this show as aimed at teens. For one, the ongoing focus is on way too many responsible adults. (Yes, even Evan.) Divya and Paige dress younger than they are but they are adults. There's only one teenager and she's neither in high school on the show or, more importantly, in a triangle with a bad boy/nice guy combo. She did get a mandatory diss by the local mean girl cabal in an earlier episode but that was a one-off, not an ongoing thing each week.

I would place the target audience as the usual 20's and 30's demographic. Also, since USA seems to be trying for an FX Lite vibe lately I think they're moving farther up the age scale, not down.

Teens watch this show? Why would they be a target? I would think 18-35 are because those people have their own money to spend.

Marketing people generally make me scratch my head in bafflement, mainly because in this economy, teens, and even 18 - 25 year-olds (and a bit older), are relying more on Mom & Dad for a roof over their heads, major expenses, etc., since the job market sucks.  It's the 35 - 60 demographic that has more cash to spend.

Emma continues to bug, mainly because the actress 'acts' with her lips, which is really distracting.  I even think it slurs her speech a bit.  I don't get the whole "Emma Who" thing.  I mean, I get it, but it just falls flat to me.  I would totally have sent a picture of that total bee-yotch of a girl who snarked on Emma and then passed out smoking absinthe fumes.

Jeremiah = love!  I'm thinking he'll ask Viviana to marry him to keep her in the country, but she'll get a last-minute reprieve, and they'll continue their sweet relationship anyway.  Maybe that will be the end of season cliffhanger?

Also, since USA seems to be trying for an FX Lite vibe lately I think they're moving farther up the age scale, not down.

If they're moving up the age scale, they're surely not targeting a higher sophistication or education level.

The plots are juvenile. Mark Feurstein is aging out of this show.

The proof, though, will come with time when the sponsors determine if their dollars are well spent.

Guess I wasn't the biggest fan o the show since the beginning.  Makes more nice noise in the background while I'm online.  I'd rather has a show you have to pay attention to at least for 30 minutes of the show.  The marriage counselor is just stupid and Emma could go jump - anywhere.  Yes, Hand is getting a bit long in the tooth for this young Doctor bit.

Well, my level of interest is that I decided to watch last week's episode before the next one airs tomorrow--and found I'd missed THIS episode without noticing.

Sounds like the whole hour was Tool-Time.

Going by what's on the CW network, I don't see this show as aimed at teens.

Maybe you're not responding to my comment. In case you are, I stated teens and young adults.

Can't say I see a whole lot of responsibility on this show. There's Evan. There's the PA who got knocked up. There was Hank's dishonesty (that which made Jeremy want to separate from HankMed). Boris only looks out for himself and has endangered Hank. Also, Hank's done risky things on Boris' behalf. There's MacGyver Hank. There's the whole man-of-mystery storyline behind Boris. Sacani has the social skills of a fifteen year old.

I was taking my time getting around to watching this episode. This was my last episode. I've stopped watching.

To me, it's increasingly obvious that teens are who this show is catering to now. That's why Evan remains goofy and Paige wears those clothes. Hank and Divya seem to be fading.

As noted, virtually all the characters on the show are late-20s to mid-30s with years of life experience and professional training. That says "grownup" to me. I think if I was a teen I'd be bored with Divya's baby drama or Hank's relationship with Boris or Evan and Paige's marriage counseling adventures and would probably stop watching by now.

On Tuesdays, I also watch "Finding Carter" on MTV, which requires me to shake my cane at the screen while I tsk-tsk.

I can't imagine those crazy kids caring about concierge healthcare in the Hamptons.  Hahahahahahaha!