Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E06: An Ocean Inside Me

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, Blue Plastic said:

Didn’t Janette get the house key from her dad’s real estate office?  Why didn’t he ever notice it was gone?

And why didn't Martin ever change his locks? I feel like it is the first thing I'd do when I move into a new house, to make sure anyone with an old key can't get in.

2 hours ago, JenE4 said:

Good catch! I didn’t realize that Greg waited an entire year to check to see whether the key was Martin’s! Wow. That really adds a whole new layer to it, with Cindy saying your whole world will collapse when you realize the truth about Jeanette, and, true, Dad stuck by her side for another year.

I didn't think Greg waited an entire year either. I thought he was doing that in 1994. It makes sense that he would check the door right after Cindy left him. It doesn't fit that he'd make a point of connecting with Jeanette in 1995, only to turn around and finally check the key.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

And why didn't Martin ever change his locks? I feel like it is the first thing I'd do when I move into a new house, to make sure anyone with an old key can't get in.

I didn't think Greg waited an entire year either. I thought he was doing that in 1994. It makes sense that he would check the door right after Cindy left him. It doesn't fit that he'd make a point of connecting with Jeanette in 1995, only to turn around and finally check the key.

Hmm. There was also the crime scene tape and sticker on the door, so I do think this was 1994 when it was an active crime scene. I don’t think that crime scene tape was still there when Jeanette returned in 1995 a couple episodes ago.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

It was the 1995 lighting for Greg's scene going into the house. (1993 and 1994 are the years I have trouble telling apart when Jeannette and/or Kate aren't in the scene, because the lighting differences between the two are more subtle. 1993 is very bright and sunny and 1994 is still fairly bright. But 1995 is so dark and gritty and blue that it's unmistakable for me.) Plus he may not have been willing to lose all he did for Jeannette if he had already known that she had the key for the house - they had that little speech of his in the previouslies for this episode. Plus Cindy's parting comment to him about how he'll feel when he realizes and is all alone for that realization wouldn't have nearly as much power if it happened just a few hours later.

In regards to the defamation lawsuit, Jeannette presumably can't offer definitive proof that she didn't see Kate (it's hard to prove a negative like that), but her lawyer probably intends to make the argument that the police investigated and concluded they couldn't charge her. Kate went on TV with her accusations after the police told her that, which is problematic and probably why her lawyer told her not to do it. Plus, I suspect that Jeannette has learned from Jamie that Kate saw them kissing and that her lawyer plans to use the timeline of Kate not reporting Jeannette until after she saw that. It goes a long way towards demonstrating malicious intent on Kate's part.

Angela, I know you're pretty new in town, but you can so do better. Though I guess Greg listens to her a bit more than he did his own wife. Sarah Drew has always been very good at playing a brittle person who spirals, yet has reserves of strength that enable her to power through, and this episode really let her showcase that.

• Love 2

To me, 93 is the most obvious because it's so much brighter than the other 2, but I think they've been coloring 94 and 95 too similarly at times lately for me to be able to tell unless Jeanette and Kate are there because their looks and demeanors are so different in all the time periods. But now @Black Knight has me wondering if maybe I'm actually mixing up 93 and 94 lol. In any case, I think they needed to have way more of a contrast in the colors and lighting between the years because it's confusing.

• Love 4
On 5/19/2021 at 9:49 PM, JenE4 said:

When Jeanette walks into “mall jail” and sees Jamie, she quickly pulls Kate’s  scrunchy out of her hair. This is pretty much the only time we’ve seen her feel guilty or embarrassed by her actions. I mean, she’s even still traipsing around with the stolen shirt on her waist (until throwing them back at Tenille’s mom 2 years later, with the tag still on one of the shirts). She has a slight flash of remorse across her face in ‘94 when Cindy was asking whether she’s ever been in Martin’s house, but she stuck to her story—as obvious as it was to Mom that she was lying.

Speaking of liars, what an odd storyline with Tenille’s mom throwing herself at Martin and then going on TV to lie that he was the aggressor, then involving herself in the court case. I mean, I guess that’s not as bad as lying about your child’s paternity, but just all around a strange character to introduce. It’s not that believable to think that a pedophile interested in kidnapping a 16 year old would nearly have also “kidnapped” someone in their late 40s! But we have no shortage in this town of middle-aged moms obsessed with their glory days of high school and still hoping to be the hottest girl on the block. But I suppose the point was to show there’s another life Jeanette is willing to destroy to save her own; blackmail comes too easy to her.

One moment Jeanette is talking with Jamie, and the next she’s suddenly throwing away all of her clothes, and saying her old clothes aren’t her anymore. I guess the scrunchie mojo rubbed off. She’s also blaming Mallory for making them do bad things, but she was thrilled to get caught at the mall, excited to tell Jamie how she does bad things, and on her own went right back to break into Martin’s house.

Both Jeanette and Cindy are lonely and have no one to talk to. They both want to confide in Derek, but he’s not interested in hearing it. Greg is checked out, too. Unfortunately they, Jeanette and Cindy, don’t seem to trust each other. Yet, somehow Angela is there to listen to each of them. The old bartender is a good listener trope? So, Cindy had big dreams of being a flight attendant. Now I guess that’s why her high school fixation was such a big storyline because she’s literally just done NOTHING in 20 years but sitting around waiting for her kids to blossom...didn’t even “show them how to blossom” whatever the hell that means, lol. So Cindy just decided to give up on being a wife and mom to “fly the friendly skies” and yet somehow told Angela that she didn’t leave the marriage?? Unless she was just going to her sister’s for a few days, and maybe somehow Greg is going to turn it around on Cindy for “ruining” their family by making him see the truth about Jeanette?

More strangely to me about Tanya, wtf kind of story is that too tell to Harris about your false paternity claims and child support? 

"Hmm, this guy doesn't seem very into me. Maybe if i tell him something that makes me look like a complete nut job and a horrible person that will get him interested! I've known him for a couple of hours, I should go ahead and share a deep, dark secret w/ him..." 

I know, that's giving her to much credit, since they are portraying her as completely(and ridiculously) oblivious to the fact that he clearly wants nothing to do w/ her.

On Cindy-

Why the assumption she chose to give up being a wife and a mom? 

I got the impression her going to her sisters was out of frustration, to cool down and think. 

A flight attendant can be a wife and mother. I know several that are. It's no different than  any other parent that travels a lot. And it's not like her kids are infants, one is already leaving for college.

• Love 11
(edited)

Definitely Cindy can still be a wife and a mom as a flight attendant but I don't get the sense that her husband will be supportive of it. He would probably be making passive aggressive comments like what he does to Jeanette.

I too find it difficult to differentiate between '94 & '95.

Edited by waving feather
  • Love 3

Of course it’s hard to know what one would do in these kinds of situations, but I would think instead of Jeannette’s parents being concerned about her lying when they discovered the key, they’d be worried about her being a victim of the kidnapping abuser, as well. Anytime I have heard of a case of abuse by a well-known person, there are always worries in the community of who else they victimized. As a parent I would want to know WHY she had that key. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, Lsk02 said:

Of course it’s hard to know what one would do in these kinds of situations, but I would think instead of Jeannette’s parents being concerned about her lying when they discovered the key, they’d be worried about her being a victim of the kidnapping abuser, as well. Anytime I have heard of a case of abuse by a well-known person, there are always worries in the community of who else they victimized. As a parent I would want to know WHY she had that key. 

That's a great point. I think the answer for this series is two-fold: First, Jeannette is different from any other teenage girl in that her father was the realtor, so she had access to a house key in a way that wouldn't need to involve Martin, unlike any other teenage girl in the town. And Jeannette didn't exhibit any of the stereotypical signs (I use "stereotypical" because no, not everyone reacts the same way to being victimized, but Cindy and Greg don't really seem like people to understand that - especially in the mid-1990s); she was thriving until Kate was rescued and started making accusations that destroyed the life Jeannette had built. Second, since the first her parents heard of Jeannette being connected to Martin's house was in the context of Kate's accusations, they'd have a bit of tunnel vision about whether what Kate said was true or not. They also probably assume that if Jeannette were a victim of Martin's too, she would have stepped forward at that point since it's the easiest way to combat Kate's accusations. I don't think that's a great assumption to make, but again, for the mid-1990s, I can see Cindy and Greg thinking that way.

• Love 3
(edited)
On 5/20/2021 at 3:27 AM, mamadrama said:

That bothered me as well. I don't mind surprises but that came from out of left field without any breadcrumbs to follow back.

Here's my other issue...

There are only a couple of episodes left. I feel like the show took way too long getting to Martin and his shenanigans. He's only appeared a handful of times. I realize that this is a show about the aftermath, but I'm afraid they're just going to throw a shit ton of stuff at us in the last episode and call it a day.

I still like it, though.

On 5/20/2021 at 7:04 AM, peachmangosteen said:

Well then, never mind what I just said lol:

Source

I am interested in seeing what they may do in another season. Especially since they said they are going to reveal everything in season one. I agree they haven't shown enough of Martin, especially the time spent with him and Kate between him abducting her and her being freed from him. I had thought they could draw out more episodes by focusing more on the interaction that Kate/Martin had while she was abducted. I also think they could also focus more on what happened after Jeanette decided to transform herself into a more popular person. We haven't seen much of that either. We have just mainly seen her made over and then dealing with the aftermath of Kate being rescued. There are several months before that, well we could see her settling into her more popular role, while Kate isn't around. 

Right now, while we know that these two things happened, it feels like they are showing a more abstract view of those things. It seems like there could still be a lot more story told regarding those two things. . Like seeing what happened the moment Martin abducted Kate, watching conversations between them during that time, how her family reacted. Also, seeing everyone react to Jeanette making herself over, her falling for Jamie etc... Though, maybe we will see more of that happening in the remaining episodes this season.

I can't remember if anyone over here has mentioned this already, but maybe this show will take more of a Desperate Housewives type of approach to future seasons. Like maybe they will solve the main mystery this season and we will somehow get new mysteries/ordeals in future seasons. (And they will somehow keep the original cast involved). And or maybe will have a continuation of the girls lives and other events they deal with in future years. Like maybe the next season will deal with the next three years in the 90's (96-99). Or something along those lines. 

Edited by Jx223
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 5/22/2021 at 8:10 AM, JenE4 said:

Hmm. There was also the crime scene tape and sticker on the door, so I do think this was 1994 when it was an active crime scene. I don’t think that crime scene tape was still there when Jeanette returned in 1995 a couple episodes ago.

On 5/22/2021 at 10:14 AM, peachmangosteen said:

Yea, I thought Greg was going to Martin's house in 1994 as well. But I think it's getting increasingly hard to tell the difference between the 1994 and 1995 scenes if they don't involve Jeanette or Kate.

On 5/22/2021 at 10:40 PM, Black Knight said:

It was the 1995 lighting for Greg's scene going into the house. (1993 and 1994 are the years I have trouble telling apart when Jeannette and/or Kate aren't in the scene, because the lighting differences between the two are more subtle. 1993 is very bright and sunny and 1994 is still fairly bright. But 1995 is so dark and gritty and blue that it's unmistakable for me.)

Yes, it was the 1995 lighting for Greg, and they also had continued doing that thing they've done before to span timeframes, where we see someone leaving a room in one timeframe, and enter the next room in another timeframe; this approach was parallel to that.  Also, IIRC, the crime scene tape was there for 1994 and Cindy, but we did not see that for Greg.

On 5/19/2021 at 10:18 AM, mandymax said:

I noticed that Jeannette was wearing Kate's scrunchie when she went to Martin's house and hid in the closet.

Good observation!

On 5/19/2021 at 12:45 PM, SnarkEnthusiast said:

Other thoughts: I don't buy Jaime and Jeanette starting to bond in "mall jail." 

I didn't buy it either, as it was written.  I can maybe, maybe see him remembering her from that earlier mall encounter.  And I can see him being willing to talk to her in the mall jail because he would have been bored.  But they had him have a fascinated look when she said she had done bad things (or whatever she said), and I just don't buy that he would have cared that much.  Plus I wish they would have let us hear what she said, because either she made stuff up that would have been genuinely bad, or she confessed all the stuff she had been doing with Mallory and Vincent, which I really don't think would have held his interest.

On 5/20/2021 at 1:28 PM, waving feather said:

But she acts different each scene. They could have made the different layers of her personality more organic and seamless. But it's always, this scene we have Sweet!Jeanette!, then Creepy!Jeanette, then Menacing!Jeanette!. Sometimes within the same time period. Unless she is some kind of a psychopath, it doesn't add up.

On 5/19/2021 at 1:16 AM, Cranberry said:

We also saw a little more of Jeanette's former goofy personality when she was playing cards with Vince and her dad

Unfortunately I felt that the cards scene rang false...not that the character Jeanette was faking it, but that the writing for the scene was false.  She went from being uber sullen every freaking time we have seen her in that timeframe, to being downright giddy, and I just don't think the transition would have been that quick. 

On 5/21/2021 at 1:27 PM, Blue Plastic said:

Didn’t Janette get the house key from her dad’s real estate office?  Why didn’t he ever notice it was gone?

Right.  And further, since he would have noticed it was gone, he would also have recalled how odd it was that the three kids stopped by his office when apparently they never do, and he would have connected those events.  Then, when Cindy told him about the key, he would have remembered "Oh yeah, that key had been missing and Jeannette was involved in it", and he would have been fairly quick to be convinced that what Cindy was saying was true. 

• Love 2
(edited)
20 hours ago, LuvMyShows said:

Yes, it was the 1995 lighting for Greg, and they also had continued doing that thing they've done before to span timeframes, where we see someone leaving a room in one timeframe, and enter the next room in another timeframe; this approach was parallel to that.  Also, IIRC, the crime scene tape was there for 1994 and Cindy, but we did not see that for Greg.

Good observation!

I didn't buy it either, as it was written.  I can maybe, maybe see him remembering her from that earlier mall encounter.  And I can see him being willing to talk to her in the mall jail because he would have been bored.  But they had him have a fascinated look when she said she had done bad things (or whatever she said), and I just don't buy that he would have cared that much.  Plus I wish they would have let us hear what she said, because either she made stuff up that would have been genuinely bad, or she confessed all the stuff she had been doing with Mallory and Vincent, which I really don't think would have held his interest.

Unfortunately I felt that the cards scene rang false...not that the character Jeanette was faking it, but that the writing for the scene was false.  She went from being uber sullen every freaking time we have seen her in that timeframe, to being downright giddy, and I just don't think the transition would have been that quick. 

There was definitely crime scene tape when Greg went in the house. It was flowing down in a ribbon down behind him, and they replayed this clip several times during the previouslies. He also knocked over a vase (or something) in anger, so the house was still furnished with Martin’s belongings in 1994. When Jeanette returned in 1995, when Vince followed her there on the night before he was questioned, the house was then empty. How Jeanette managed to get in when her parents had already taken the key is beyond me. But I’ve been fooled by the lighting a few times myself. They’ve used the darker lighting just when people are upset and fighting, so there were a number of times I thought a scene was 1995 because it was lit dark, but then someone would be there with their 1994 hair. The hair is definitive way to tell—but that does confuse matters when the kids aren’t in the scene.

Edited by JenE4
Oops wrong name
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, JenE4 said:

How Kate managed to get in when her parents had already taken the key is beyond me.

The only time we know Jeanette (I assume that's who you meant) went back to Martin's house after Martin's death and Kate was rescued was the night we saw where Vincent followed her.  That night she broke a window.  The scene shows 1993 Jeanette using the key to break in and she grabs the yearbook. She walks to the window and 1993 Jeanette's reflection is in the window, then the window breaks and 1995 Jeanette breaks in. (I remember because I liked the transition.)   

• Love 4
On 5/22/2021 at 9:14 AM, peachmangosteen said:

Yea, I thought Greg was going to Martin's house in 1994 as well. But I think it's getting increasingly hard to tell the difference between the 1994 and 1995 scenes if they don't involve Jeanette or Kate.

1994 and 1995 are so hard for me to differentiate as I binge through this show (faster than I wanted to). 

Even  Kate is hard for me to differentiate in the different timelines unless she's with Mallory.

• Love 1

Harley Quinn has a terrible name and the girl looks 35. I know it’s nepotism that got her the role.

She reminds me of Allison Mack!

Jeanette is really unlikable! 

Martin didn’t change his locks? 

Who is Annabelle?

On 5/19/2021 at 12:35 AM, LittleIggy said:

@ZeeEnnui Jeanette loved a card game called Nerts not Nerds candy.

Guess I’m the only one who likes Jeanette. I don’t find her evil based on what we have seen so far. 
I like Mallory only when she is Kate’s friend.

I started binge watching the series this past week and I agree with the bolded. Though you're on your own regarding Mallory, lol. Even with her friendship with Kate, that chick just bugs. 

But like you, I'm still not buying that we've seen anything so far that supports Jeanette as this completely evil psychopath. Some questioned why she kept returning to Martin's house specifically and my guess is well one, it's the only one she had a key to. To break into anyone else's house she'd have to steal another key, which ups the risk factor. Two, I really think it's the rush she got from the fact that she KEPT getting away with it. That she could willy nilly come and go in this man's house with none the wiser.

Weird and possibly a little creepy, sure. But I think it's made clear that with the petty theft and other stuff that yeah, Jeannette totally got a rush from doing illegal things. This is not something that crazy or weird. It's certainly not good and something a parent would probably need to put a stop to if they find out but I can't say I've never heard of teenagers who act out like that.

The problem for Jeannette is that her little dark secret of being a creeper going into someone's house became bigger when Kate got kidnapped. Because yeah, who's going to believe her, "I went into his house and was creeping around but totally didn't do what Kate said I did." Especially considering how to the outside world, it looked like she "stole Kate's life." Her having access to the house is a smoking gun against her which is why it made perfect sense she kept trying to lie about it. 

I'm also surprised some seem to feel like they don't know or understand Jeannette and her dramatic changes in the three timelines. Seems pretty clear cut to me - 1993 Jeannette was a dorky teenager that clearly dreamed of being beautiful and popular, hence the Kate worship and crush on Jamie. Then she got her braces out, Kate disappeared, and considering she'd obsessed over these people, it probably wasn't hard for her to know the right clothes to wear, the right things to say to worm her way into that life. These people are all shallow. It probably didn't take much beyond her simply wearing the right clothes and having the right hair. And no, I still don't think that's more proof of her being evil. I think it's proof of her being a teenager who wanted to be popular.

And 1995 Jeannette is bitter and angry because if she is telling the truth about not seeing Kate, I thought she explained her feelings pretty damn well in the scene with her lawyer where she outlined everything she's lost and every hateful name she's been called. She's a town pariah for something that we'll assume for now she really didn't do. Of course she's angry, bitter and all emo. As someone noted above, I guess for me I'm in the minority where I feel like Jeannette is the more compelling because there is still the unknown of whether she's guilty or not. 

Again, we know Kate's story. She was groomed by a sick perv who kidnapped her and she's now still dealing with the trauma of that. With Jeannette, she's either an evil psycho that deliberately left someone kidnapped to keep enjoying the perks of her newfound popularity or she's a troubled teen who sure, did some shady things, but not what she's accused of and is being punished for, at least in the court of public opinion. And so you're watching her story through two lens - if you think she's guilty, everything adds to the narrative of evil, psycho Jeannette. But if you don't, most of it doesn't seem that strange.

Like threatening Tanya - a woman who would lie about her kid's paternity and then lie about being sexually harassed for some 15 minutes of fame, is now threatening to paint someone else as a liar and evil. Yeah, to protect myself, if I'm innocent, I'd threaten the bitch too. I also fail to see how Jeannette's comments about Mallory in 1993 were so awful - she wasn't wrong. I do think Mallory kind of obnoxiously pushed Vincent and Jeannette around at times. Yes, we know Jeannette's not some goody two shoes and clearly gets a thrill from illegal shit but Mallory is annoying the times when Jeannette and Vincent would try and argue against doing something. 

• Love 4
On 3/14/2022 at 4:19 PM, truthaboutluv said:

Like threatening Tanya - a woman who would lie about her kid's paternity and then lie about being sexually harassed for some 15 minutes of fame, is now threatening to paint someone else as a liar and evil. Yeah, to protect myself, if I'm innocent, I'd threaten the bitch too. I also fail to see how Jeannette's comments about Mallory in 1993 were so awful - she wasn't wrong. I do think Mallory kind of obnoxiously pushed Vincent and Jeannette around at times. Yes, we know Jeannette's not some goody two shoes and clearly gets a thrill from illegal shit but Mallory is annoying the times when Jeannette and Vincent would try and argue against doing something. 

Completely agreed. Also, what was up with that list? When they talked about it at first, I thought it was this cute thing, like, "eat strawberries this summer!" or "watch fifteen new movies!" or "go the cinema!" or other innocent, fun things to do with your friends.

Instead it's this "become a juvenile delinquent"-list. I didn't react so much at the house, nobody was supposed to be there, the key was in Jeannette's dad's office, etc. That seemed real, something that kids do that sounds fun/spooky. But it just went on and on and on with the illegal stuff. Even the throwing balloons at the fancy party—as much as I don't like Joy (Kate's mother) I found that scene really uncomfortable to watch. Obviously it dwarfs under what happened to Jeannette later, but even that could have caused problems for her father in a small town like that. I brushed it off because it seemed as if were supposed to laugh it off, but everything on that list seems to have the potential to cause trouble or lead people down the wrong path.

Jeannette wasn't wrong when she said that everything Mallory had put on that list was illegal.

Edited by Bellatrix