Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E02: Meat: The Legends

• Start Topic

Behrad is Team Mom&Pop. Same pal. I also enjoyed Zari being so over him being philosophical about a burger and then using their power to assemble the burgers.

Spooner getting in Ava’s face makes me like her even more. Ava needs to be reminded of what she (and the team but she most emphatically) is demanding of her. The telepathic connection looks like it seriously hurts. No surprise that they bonded at the end but at least Ava apologized. 

The planet they crashed on gave me major Battlestar Galactica flashbacks. I like Sara’s outfit. I wonder where the jacket comes from. 

Hey it’s Amelia Earhart! No offense honey but that hair does you no favors. Oh she’s an alien so the hair makes sense.

The secret sauce looks like Thousand Island dressing. I take it someone on the writing team isn’t a fan?

So the goo came from evil Mothra? Glad that old fashioned electrocution took it out. It’s nice to keep it simple.

I knew it would end up being Big Belly Burger. Nicely done show.

OG Zari! Getting annoyed and arranging for a second totem. Love her always.

Let Zari plan the wedding Sara.

• Love 3
12 minutes ago, scarynikki12 said:

The secret sauce looks like Thousand Island dressing. I take it someone on the writing team isn’t a fan?

It looks like Thousand Island dressing because they were doing a riff on the Big Mac.  San Bernandino is the birthplace of McDonald's.

And look at Mick, actually being helpful for the first part of the mission before vanishing.  I'm guessing he'll get into a screaming match with Ava at some point.

Heh. Zari ex machina.

Good episode, though I feel the teasers spoiled a good part of it. The "special sauce" for hamburgers is goop from a alien moth's cocoon? And the big climax involves Zardashian, Behrad and Nate fending off crazed people hungry for the sauce? I don't question it. Same goes for the housewife passing the goop off as her own recipe, which ends with her getting eaten by said alien moth.

2 hours ago, cambridgeguy said:

And look at Mick, actually being helpful for the first part of the mission before vanishing.

Yeah, was it established what happened with him? I have faith in the writing. For instance, Ava's "down home" accent was pretty funny. And I won't be critical about how "Amelia Earhart on another planet" isn't new. Well, the bit with her coming off as a recording is original. Gary's continued existence, on the other hand, needs a payoff at the end. Sara probably can kill him in ten different ways without him even realizing it That is restraint.

Seriously, Zari's chilling in the totem, and she's all, "Fuck it, you're both getting totems!"

3 hours ago, cambridgeguy said:

It looks like Thousand Island dressing because they were doing a riff on the Big Mac.  San Bernandino is the birthplace of McDonald's.

I appreciated the shoutout from wife about wanting to beat "those brothers".

• LOL 1
(edited)

Heh, of course the Legends helped pave the way for the Big Belly Burger franchise to become thing!  Can't wait for the episode that will lead to the creation of Jitters!

Another fun episode where a quest to find an alien goes from dealing with a "special sauce" that makes people rabid for meat to a straight-up Mothra-style monster/alien flying around and eating people.  For most shows, that combination would be pure insanity, but that's just a normal day for a Legends episode and I wouldn't want it any other way!

Loved the Burger Bros/Trio stuff.  Nate getting into the job was good, but I really liked delving more into the relationship of Zari and Behrad, and how Behrad truly enjoyed his time as a burger flipper back in the day, because it was a time where he didn't feel like he was just "Zari's brother", but his own person.  And how this version of Zari is considered a newbie compared to him, so she's now adjusting to that.  Tala Ashe and Shayan Sobhian really bring a good sibling dynamic here.  And they both finally got totems, thanks to original Zari still chilling in the totem, whose brief appearance really delighted me!

I wonder about the longevity of Spooner as a Legend once the alien threat is taken care of, but I did like her standing up to Ava and some of her reckless decision making.  It's not like I think Ava's ideas are bad, but they just feel rushed and incomplete, and most of the victories comes from the rest of the Legends having to pick up the slack on that end.

Looks like Astrid really isn't a Legend, but I still suspect she'll factor in later since Olivia Swann is a regular.

Mick really did just randomly disappear after being very helpful at first.

Also down for Constantine/Matt Ryan's hilarious southern American accent.

So, Sara and Gary crash on a planet that; outside of some weird looking plants and a purple screen tint; hilariously still looks like the normal Vancouver wilderness.  I'm pretty sure I saw that location in every genre show shot in the area.  But, hey, there's a dog!  And Amelia Earhart!  Who... is actually some kind of alien that just bit and poisoned (?) Sara.  Yep, classic Legends of Tomorrow!

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Love 2

I just have to say, I'm consistently in awe of Tala Ashe's acting-she really makes OG Zari and Zari 2.0 feel like such wildly different characters that it almost feels like she's a different actress. It's impressive. 

• Love 7
(edited)

Was that really Amelia Earhart or a shapeshifter alien? Funny she mentioned "The Canary". I didn't know she had a plane nicknamed "The Canary" early on IRL. Wonder if the writers would link it to Sara somehow. I wish Sara had something more interesting to do this episode.

I felt like I've seen the whole meat-eating monster thing before, so that wasn't too interesting to me.

Ava has taken over Sara's place again with the customary "new guy/gal shares a drink with the Captain and both come to an understanding" tradition.

Still annoyed with all the fiance/wedding talk.

I liked how Mick really took initiative in the beginning. Didn't even realize Astra was missing until I read it here.

Edited by lurker22

No wonder Caity had so much free time. She's barely in the episode. I'm really thinking they just did this to show how awesome Ava is at being the Captain. Ava gets to bond with all the newcomers while Sara is always missing or in a coma. Sara is just there even in her own storyline and now she's dying again. 

I still like that Mick is the only one that doesn't consider Ava his Captain. He chose to follow Sara after Leonard. He didn't choose Ava. She just inserted herself as the boss. 

I do like that we are getting different aliens. But the meat thing was gross when I saw it on Buffy and it's still gross. 

• Love 4

That was a fun episode, not only did we get everyone in cute 50s attire (Behrad in particular was looking great) but the plot of the week led to a lot of cool action and character dynamics, some gross stuff, some funny stuff, and a battle with evil alien Mothra who secretes tasty but evil secret sauce. You can tell the show is excited about getting to really dig into alien tropes and plots, with alien abductions, creepy cocoons, man eating monsters, all that good stuff. They are also giving us a pretty good mixture of different kinds of aliens, and the effects continue to have really stepped it up. While we haven't seen a whole lot of it yet, I also like that they are still using magic with the aliens, like Constantine using magic to get the alien sludge out of the mascot. And of course they accidently helped invent Big Belly Burgers, time travel is wacky like that. 

I like Spooner alright so far, although I do question the show adding yet another character in a show that already has a really huge cast that they sometimes struggle use. Like how Mick just disappeared halfway through the episode, I worry that they will get so excited by their shiny new character that more established characters will get pushed to the background. That's how we lost Ray and Nora after all, they wanted to get rid of older characters to make room for their new favorites. They seem to be more and more interested in their original characters than in the characters that came here from other shows, despite that being the shows original gimmick and strength. I also admit to being a bit nervous about new characters showing up and getting the Mona treatment, where a quirky new side character soon becomes one of the stars and their bit gets old ridiculously fast and become nails on a chalkboard. 

Getting into Ava's face and calling her out on her shitty leadership does make me partial to Spooner right away though. Ava just does not have the leadership skills to be captain, she didn't even really have it to be co-captains, but then she had Sara to deal with the people stuff while Ava could focus on the managerial parts of running things, but now her leadership style of "do it because I said so" really isn't coming off as great. I really try with Ava, I really do, and she does have scenes and moments that I really like, but the show pushing Ava and Avalanch just turns me off so much, especially now that Ava has basically become the lead. She just isn't interesting enough to carry a show, especially a show as wild as this. Her wanting to get Sara back is understandable, but she really does need to think about the safety of the team and others as well, Sara would want that. Its also annoying how the show is totally focused on Ava missing Sara so much that we hardly get to see how anyone else is dealing with Sara being missing, despite them all being her friends and some of them knowing her even longer than Ava has, and Sara is just "wedding wedding wedding" even while on an alien planets, its more of Sara being totally joined at the hip with Ava, even when they aren't anywhere near each other. 

Ava also really needs to have a talk with Spooner about her whole "kill all aliens" plan considering we have long since established that there are plenty of perfectly nice aliens out there. Like the people they tried to get in touch with just last week, who have spent several seasons battling bad guys who want to kill all aliens. If they ever do call in Supergirl and her friends to help, we don't want there to be any shoot first misunderstanding. Kara would be fine obviously, but its not a great way to say hi to your friends. 

Of course Gary and Sara end up running into Amelia Earhart out in space...or do they? Something really weird and surprisingly creepy going on there, its like an episode of Star Trek just started. 

Love seeing a glimpse of Zari 1.0, and of course she gave Zari 2.0 and Behrad matching totems because she's frustrated with their arguing. I also love that Zari goes to 50s burger joints dressed like she just walked out of a Grace Kelly movie, and I was happy to get a lot of nice sibling stuff between Zari and Behrad. 

• Love 5

And now for the important stuff.

What happened to the dog? I hope he didn't end up being Amelia's dinner. Of course he is probably the dangerous alien collector and those lights at the end are taped to the heads of his dog minions (Pack of Doom? ... needs workshopping).

Why didn't Mrs. Burger-Joint put a bucket under her cocoon? I don't want to eat alien excretion that was scraped up off of someone's floor!

I did like Gary missing the "only intelligent life" insult.

• Love 2

Two episodes in and I'm really not feeling this season so far. 

Too much Ava.  Too much Gary (some characters are best in small doses).  Way too much of the new gal. 

Are aliens going to be a running theme for the whole season? 

Who knew Amelia Earhart was basically a grown up version of Little Orphan Annie? 

I'm guessing McDonald's won't be signing on as a sponsor any time soon. 

• Love 1
(edited)
39 minutes ago, Bulldog said:

Yes, that's been the plan since the end of last season.  It's why Sara was abducted by aliens in the first place.

Edited by legaleagle53

Good episode.  I continue to like Spooner and her getting in Ava's face was a highlight.  She and Ava actually played off of each other really well at the end.

Gary seems to be better as a character with this new backstory.

Hey it’s Amelia Earhart! No offense honey but that hair does you no favors. Oh she’s an alien so the hair makes sense.

I only wish it was possible for Amy Adams to have played her Night at the Museum 2 Amelia Earhart.  That was a super fun performance on her part, one I wish could be repeated.

I did not enjoy this episode at all, I know it is supposed to be funny that some orange-pinkish alien excretion is the secret sauce, and I guess that works in the context of the camp that is this show, but... yuck.

Once again, this show blew all its special effects budget on the alien.  The restaurant is getting attacked by a mob of hangry zombielike diners and none of Behrad, Zari or Nate thought to use their powers to defend themselves?  I think the only instance of powers we saw were Zari using the wind powers to float the burgers?  I didn't think the air totem worked that way, it's always been shown to just be a blast of wind.  But apparently now it can be used like telekinesis?  Constantine didn't even use his powers.

When Gary and Sara were on the pinkish planet, why was Gary still the skittish paranoid wimp he was when he was a human?  He is an alien that can EAT PEOPLE.  I'm so tired of his simpering and whining.  He shouldn't be scared of anything.

Not understanding the point of Amelia Earhart at all.  So was that supposed to be the actual Amelia Earhart, and she was taken over by aliens?  She was flying her plane with Fred Noonan and then what?  Disappeared into a portal?  What happened to Fred?  Did she eat him?  I just don't understand the point of this character, and I was wondering if the real Amelia Earhart actually talked like that.  The tough talking, whipsnapping, vaguely Southern accent.  I thought she was from Kansas?

On 5/10/2021 at 10:48 PM, Bulldog said:

Two episodes in and I'm really not feeling this season so far. 

Too much Ava.  Too much Gary (some characters are best in small doses).  Way too much of the new gal. 

Who knew Amelia Earhart was basically a grown up version of Little Orphan Annie? 

I'm guessing McDonald's won't be signing on as a sponsor any time soon. 

Fully agree about Ava and Gary.  I've never liked them, and hate the increased emphasis on them.  And I do think this season is going to be all about hunting alien signals, looking for the one who will be able to tell them where Sara is.  Just like how in prior seasons, they were tracking down time anomalies and each episode took them to a different time/place.

If so, I am not too thrilled about this... part of why I like this show is about the travel to different historical eras and meeting historical people.  If it's all about aliens, how is that working?

• Love 2

This show lost its plot a long time ago, now it just seems to be about wacky they can be. Even the characters barely act like characters we met in the beginning. They used to be better at balancing the wackiness with serious stories, now they just care about how much they can get away with. The critics like it so leaned 100% into it. 

Amelia Earhart was used as hey we need a historical figure to because that was the plot of the show. When in earlier seasons meeting and finding Amelia Earhart would've meant something. Instead she's just used as another wacky character in a show that only cares about that now over telling a story. 

I'm sorry but I don't think Jess/Ava is lead material. She has no presence. She doesn't command attention like Sara or even Rip did. She's just boring. They try to keep telling us how awesome she is has the Captian then show how awful she is at it. Yet we're supposed to think she's better than Sara? At least when Sara screwed up mission's it was because she cared about others too much, Ava has to constantly be reminded to care about others at all. 

• Love 5

Meh episode.

Ava irritates me, but I couldn't help but laugh when she talking about containing the alien and then it flew up and burst out of the house.

1 hour ago, Sakura12 said:

Amelia Earhart was used as hey we need a historical figure to because that was the plot of the show. When in earlier seasons meeting and finding Amelia Earhart would've meant something. Instead she's just used as another wacky character in a show that only cares about that and now telling a story. 

I'm sorry but I don't think Jess/Ava is lead material. She has no presence. She doesn't command attention like Sara or even Rip did. She's just boring. They try to keep telling us how awesome she is has the Captian then show how awful she is at it. Yet we're supposed to think she's better than Sara? At least when Sara screwed up mission's it was because she cared about others too much, Ava has to constantly be reminded to care about others at all. 

Yep... also like Spartacus was.  I agree with you that in past seasons, there would have been a reason why they needed to meet with these people, there was something that they needed to do to preserve the timeline.  Now, it's just like they are random appearances for the sake of having a random historical figure show up.  I find it very sad, I love the historical aspects of the show.  Isn't that the very reason why Nate was brought in?  Because he is a historian?  Is he ever asked about history anymore?  Instead we have Gary and his deck of Inspiring Female Historical Figures to provide us with historical background now.  Sad.

Also agree that the Ava Experiment is a failure, the actress is not a lead at all.  When she was explaining to Betty Crocker what she was doing and all that, it was just laughably bad.

The only good thing that came out of this episode is that Zari 2.0 mentioned that she wanted a role in management of the ship.  Maybe she can take over as Captain.  She'd be far better than Ava.  At this point, Ava is willing to do whatever it takes to find Sara.  Too much emotional attachment.  The leader needs to make decisions based on what is best for everyone, and instead, it looks like we are going to have a season of them randomly zipping around in time and place while chasing every lead Ava finds about Sara.  What is the crew's purpose at this point?  It used to be to preserve the timeline and eliminate the anomalies.  But not anymore.  Are there no more time anomalies?  Have they all been eliminated?  I forget what the resolution was from prior seasons.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, blackwing said:

The only good thing that came out of this episode is that Zari 2.0 mentioned that she wanted a role in management of the ship.  Maybe she can take over as Captain.  She'd be far better than Ava.  At this point, Ava is willing to do whatever it takes to find Sara.  Too much emotional attachment.  The leader needs to make decisions based on what is best for everyone, and instead, it looks like we are going to have a season of them randomly zipping around in time and place while chasing every lead Ava finds about Sara.  What is the crew's purpose at this point?  It used to be to preserve the timeline and eliminate the anomalies.  But not anymore.  Are there no more time anomalies?  Have they all been eliminated?  I forget what the resolution was from prior seasons.

The anomalies were all dispatched two years ago. Last year, it was the "encores" that Astra had released from Hell as part of her revenge against Constantine, together with the Fates.  This year, it's aliens who have been let loose in the timestream to mess with history.

• Love 1

The best explanation I had for Earhart was that an alien looked like her to lure Sara and Gary in. Using... some sort of mind-reading so the alien knew what to look like? (Bear with me here, making it up as I go.) Gary had those notable women cards, and if felt beyond coincidental that they'd run into a person from the deck. The dog being similar, taking the appearance a familiar as a lure. Earhart didn't exactly fly with a dog so there's no other reason for her "character" to have one! Unless there's just some random real dog on some random planet and honestly I'll buy some sort of shapeshifting magic over that. And the alien does this to... try to pull in any travelers in the hopes of finding someone who can fly the home? I dunno, I'm reaching here.