Type keyword(s) to search

Food Hacks

• Start Topic

I'll start. 

Eating Takis (actually right now the Doritos Takis competitor, Dinamita) with chopsticks. 

Yes I know it sounds ridiculous, but I despise getting that red dust everywhere on my hands, face, countless napkins, sink water handles, etc. And I'm very good with chopsticks. 

For the record, next time I buy them I may try this with crunchy cheetos/cheese doodles, especially with the flamin' hot versions. 

Don't mock me!  (heh) 

Your food hacks? 

• Love 2

Not really a food hack, more of a technique.

Use your fingers to separate egg yolks and whites.  Not a water bottle.  Not the shell.  Use your soft fingers instead of hard edges that can break the yolks.  I got that from Sara Moulton, circa 2000.

• Love 1
On 5/6/2021 at 10:20 AM, larapu2000 said:

Not really a food hack, more of a technique.

Use your fingers to separate egg yolks and whites.  Not a water bottle.  Not the shell.  Use your soft fingers instead of hard edges that can break the yolks.  I got that from Sara Moulton, circa 2000.

Yes, I copied that from my mom! Hands are our best tools!

On 5/1/2021 at 11:39 AM, Kromm said:

I'll start. 

Eating Takis (actually right now the Doritos Takis competitor, Dinamita) with chopsticks. 

Yes I know it sounds ridiculous, but I despise getting that red dust everywhere on my hands, face, countless napkins, sink water handles, etc. And I'm very good with chopsticks. 

For the record, next time I buy them I may try this with crunchy cheetos/cheese doodles, especially with the flamin' hot versions. 

Don't mock me!  (heh) 

Your food hacks? 

I pour Cheetos on a plate and eat it with a fork. I too hate Cheeto dust on my fingers. 😐

On 10/21/2021 at 7:34 AM, Nicmar said:

I pour Cheetos on a plate and eat it with a fork. I too hate Cheeto dust on my fingers. 😐

LOL I pour Cheetos in a small bowl and use the pointy end of a flosser to stab them so I can keep my hands clean.

• Love 1

A hack that actually works!

On 3/1 (more than a week ago) we did the grocery pickups, which included a bunch of avocados. Out of eight, two of them were somewhat far along, so I gave them to my husband to eat pretty much right away. I told him I was doing an experiment with the other six. I'd been sent an email hack (I forget from where) saying that avocados will keep for a crazy long time if you store them in the fridge in a decanter of cold water (my decanter was just a pitcher). He's always giving me a hard time about letting them go to get rotten before I use them. So he'd been forewarned and wasn't to nag me if the experiment didn't work. Because . . . science.

Anyway, we just made guacamole, and all the avocados were perfect. The hack worked better than I could've expected! You have to be brave to try it, 'cause that's a lot of green, in both senses, but I'm here to swear that this is a real thing.

You're welcome.  🥑

• Useful 3
  • Love 5

Update on the Avocado Project: There are two from the original batch of eight still floating in the fridge, and the poke test tells me they're in great shape. This makes eleven days, which is practically a miracle. It's hard to believe that this harebrained idea really works. I can't decide whether to eat them or leave them to see how much longer they'll last.  🥑🥑

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
On 3/12/2022 at 10:03 AM, Mondrianyone said:

Yep, I think one will be giving its life for lunch today and the other will continue to float for a while.

I truly appreciate your scientific approach, and your non-influencer status to give us the most accurate results!!  This is crazy awesome.  I am queen of the rotten avocadoes.  So much so that I have gotten to a point where I just buy them the day of or before because I don't trust myself, lol.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

The final verdict is that this system will keep avocados in close-to-perfect condition for two whole weeks. It's wonderful.

But no trying to swipe my crown as queen of the rotten avocados. I'll fight you for that.  I've killed far too many of them to give up so easily.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
(edited)

I just read this:

"The FDA does not recommend this practice," an FDA spokesperson tells Well+Good. "The main concern is with the possibility that any residual human pathogens—like Listeria monocytogenes and Salmonella spp.—that may be residing on the avocado surface, may potentially multiply during the storage when submerged in water." 

But is this even a big deal if you wash the avocados first?

Whoops -- ETA:

In addition to that initial concern (Listeria! Salmonella!), the FDA spokesperson also notes that even giving the 'cado a good scrub when you're ready to chow down won't necessarily get rid of the harmful bacteria. "Research performed by FDA scientists has shown that Listeria monocytogenes has the potential to infiltrate and internalize into the pulp of avocados when submerged in refrigerated dump tanks within 15 days during refrigerated storage. In this case, even surface disinfecting the avocado skin prior to slicing would not be able to remove the contamination," the FDA says.

https://www.wellandgood.com/storing-avocados-in-water/

Damn it! I am sorry if I wrecked the fun -- I was elated to learn of this!

Edited by TattleTeeny

I'm deeply offended at having my refrigerator referred to as a "dump tank."

(A) I use them before 15 days. (B) Here I am, after doing three batches of them, healthy as a horse. Or maybe a burro. But if you're concerned, don't try it.

(edited)

I still may! This just seems like a concern that could apply to a lot to stuff — and I bet some kind of authorities could find a similar possible scenario for just about anting we do in kitchens to make our lives easier.

Edited by TattleTeeny

I just made some chili.  It is WAAAAYYY too hot.  I only added chipotle peppers (thinking it would be just a smokey taste - wrong).  I added a dollop of sour cream in it.  but it could still blow your head off (tastes good though).  Does anyone know how to fix this?

3 minutes ago, Boston said:

I just made some chili.  It is WAAAAYYY too hot.  I only added chipotle peppers (thinking it would be just a smokey taste - wrong).  I added a dollop of sour cream in it.  but it could still blow your head off (tastes good though).  Does anyone know how to fix this?

Add potatoes.

• Love 1

Cantaloupes: Thumping or shaking them to check for ripeness is largely  a futile exercise.

However, my late father taught me the trick that's had a 90+% success rate down the decades: pick it up and sniff the stem part- if that stem smells like a fresh,ripe cantaloupe, the fruit inside will also be that way. BUT if you can't smell anything, leave it be because it's almost always underripe.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
52 minutes ago, Blergh said:

Cantaloupes: Thumping or shaking them to check for ripeness is largely  a futile exercise.

However, my late father taught me the trick that's had a 90+% success rate down the decades: pick it up and sniff the stem part- if that stem smells like a fresh,ripe cantaloupe, the fruit inside will also be that way. BUT if you can't smell anything, leave it be because it's almost always underripe.

I always smell them too, but didn't know it was supposed to be near the stem.

• Love 1