Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E06: What The World Needs Now

Barry convinces Jamal to meet with exiled opposition leader Sheik Rashid. But when the meeting takes a turn for the worse, Jamal is forced to make a difficult decision that will impact the lives of his family and his country forever.

The Sheikh played them well. Bassam thinks he's smarter than he really is. I'm really beginning to like Jamal's complex character. I hope Doppelganger Molly isn't playing both sides. Or it may be three sides, Jamal, Bassam, and Uncle. I think the Uncle attacked his own men to manipulate his brother to gas the people.

Oh, this isn't going to end well...

Good episode - no kids, not much Molly, lots of Jamal and Leila.  I have to admit that I am totally on Team Jamal, even with his violent, raping behaviour.  At least he is funny, intelligent and fun to watch.  OTOH, Bassam is naive, self-righteous and allowed himself to be totally outplayed by the Sheik. 

I had to laugh (sorry) when Jamal "helped" the Sheik in the bathroom.  Of course, Molly would be the one to ruin things for him. 

• Love 3

I'm really beginning to like Jamal's complex character.

Is Jamal still raping and abusing women? I tuned out after the second episode because I couldn't handle the possibility of seeing anymore of that. But I liked the general story.

Is Jamal still raping and abusing women? I tuned out after the second episode because I couldn't handle the possibility of seeing anymore of that. But I liked the general story.

No, but he's been out of commission for a while. He now has a mistress that is a Molly look alike.

Yeah, for a brief second, I totally thought Jamal's mistress was Molly.  That certainly would have been a hell of a twist.  Partner-swapping! (why, yes, I still suspect that Bassam and Leila's hate-lust will come roaring back in the future.)  But, I do wonder about the mistress.  I know Jamal said he was meeting the ambassador to Norway, but she didn't sound Norwegian, so I'm guessing that was just a cover story.  Whoever she is, she didn't seem to have any inkling of Jamal's rapey ways. 

I think the Uncle attacked his own men to manipulate his brother to gas the people.

Yeah, I also suspect it's going end up being the Uncle/General, who was behind the bombing.  I think the Sheik was being truthful with Bassam, but Bassam's dad really did seem like he wanted peace at that rally, so I think this was a third party's doing. 

Probably the best episode, even though I figured it was going to end with Jamal losing his cool, and harming the Sheik.  But, I enjoyed the political stuff, and the interview montage, where you see Jamal, Leila, and everyone else playing their part.  Even The General did a decent job!  Also liked that Bassam actually was played quite a few times, and isn't automatically owning everyone. I still wish he was more interesting.  Jamal is an awful human being, but he continues to be a more lively character.

• Love 1

I cannot believe that Bassam never anticipated that the sheikh would ask for elections. Bassam's not quite the asset he thinks he is.

I feel badly for Jamal because he's a toddler. He has no skills for dealing with disappointment. Of course he would try to kill the sheikh.

• Love 2

So it looks like, at the most basic,  it comes down to Jamal's chief complaint being "I never got enough love".  It's getting more difficult for me to care what happens in the end, as pretty much everyone is undeserving of any sympathy.  At least they could show Jamal as at least something of a  wily puppetmaster, setting his opponents up in a long game to achieve his own ends.  Instead, we get a violent brute with no finesse whatsoever.  I did like the scene in the cabinet meeting, when he is confronted with the intricacies of actual governance and finance, and opinion polls.  "Why the hell did I ever take this job?"

• Love 1
(edited)

I have to admit that I am totally on Team Jamal, even with his violent, raping behaviour.  At least he is funny, intelligent and fun to watch.

I started watching this show because I've been a fan of Adam Rayner's since "Mistresses," but Ashraf Barhom (Jamal) is the main reason I'm still watching.  It finally dawned on me last night that he was in The Kingdom and I remember thinking he was the most compelling actor in that film even though he was up against heavyweights like Chris Cooper and Richard Jenkins, in addition to big names like Jamie Foxx and Jennifer Garner.  I'm going to have to seek out more of his work.

Edited by dcinmb

Since Barry's been in the US for 20 odd years, he should have told his brother that the Sheikh is doing well in the polls because the most popular member on many, if not most, football teams is the back-up quarterback.

Speaking of Barry, a couple of episodes ago Barry said he wouldn't be around long enough to need a formal title, such as Adviser to the President. Now Barry's proposing elections a year or two off and, since he's the one proposing them, he's implicitly promising that he'll be around for the duration.

The other doctors in his practice must be thrilled.

Hope Sheikh survives, shame on you Jamal.

Jamal's solution was a compromise that maintains power for the family while minimizing bloodshed.

So far, Barry's way is a loser and Tariq/Leila's way would have led to hundreds dead and thousands injured. Jamal's way only hurts/kills one person.

No, but he's been out of commission for a while. He now has a mistress that is a Molly look alike.

Aside from being a bottle blond, I don't think Jamal's mistress looks like Molly. 

Yeah, I also suspect it's going end up being the Uncle/General, who was behind the bombing.  I think the Sheik was being truthful with Bassam, but Bassam's dad really did seem like he wanted peace at that rally, so I think this was a third party's doing.

On the other hand, the Sheikh has admitted he's said things to divide the brothers, so perhaps he's lying about the bombing.

But for now, I'm going with Tariq as the culprit.

...I enjoyed the political stuff, and the interview montage, where you see Jamal, Leila, and everyone else playing their part.  Even The General did a decent job!

I think Tariq did as good a job as can be expected. My nephew is nuts, but so was his father and look what his father accomplished!

I thought Leila was a little over the top when she said that Abuddin was Jamal's first love and that she was resigned to being second.

Yeah, I also suspect it's going end up being the Uncle/General, who was behind the bombing.

Same here. He's always itching to put the military into situations where violence should be a third or fourth option, not a first. Plus, I think Jamal curtailed his power even before Bassam blew into town, so the general is feeling a little shackled.

I cannot believe that Bassam never anticipated that the sheikh would ask for elections. Bassam's not quite the asset he thinks he is.

I KNOW. My eyes practically fell out of my head when everyone was so astonished the sheik asked for free elections. Is no one paying attention to what's happening in the region? And I thought Molly was naive.

Speaking of Molly, once again I thought her wardrobe for the big meeting was inappropriate, and that giant bow on the back of the dress was awful. I guess the show is going to drop the story of the guy she saved last week? I know the sheik is a bigger fish to fry, but Molly telling the ambulance guy who she was and realizing the power of her last name was the first interesting thing that happened to her.

Jamal in his silly uniform cracked me up. He looked like he was playing dress-up. Barhom does a fantastic job with Jamal. He's a terrible, horrible person, but he's mesmerizing.

How likely is it that the sheik and Jamal would end up alone in the bathroom.

If Jamal was feeling better about himself, he probably wouldn't have done it. Instead, Leila is holding out on him, he's dropping in the polls and everyone is fawning over his opponent.

This show hasn't been good since the pilot IMO.  The pilot was great because it seemed to focus mostly on the screwed up dynamics of the family.  I thought we were in for more sleazy moments and rising suspense, but the show just morphed off into this slow and boring political folly which has failed to maintain my interest.  There are only four episodes left of this season and I feel as if nothing has really happened. 

• Love 1

I KNOW. My eyes practically fell out of my head when everyone was so astonished the sheik asked for free elections. Is no one paying attention to what's happening in the region? And I thought Molly was naive.

I agree that Bassam & Co. should have thought about it since they should have access to information about their world that viewers don't.

That being said, the show hasn't done a particularly good job about providing background on the Sheikh, the region of Ma'an, and the relationship between the two. Sometimes I get the sense the Sheikh's power base is in Ma'an, sometimes that he's a national leader with particularly strong roots in Ma'an, sometimes that he's a regional leader with some national appeal. I'm still not sure how large the population of Ma'an is to the rest of the country, how people outside of Ma'an feel about Ma'an, and how many people feel that a choice between Jamal & the Sheikh is just a choice between competing dynasties (when the Sheikh was talking to his son in the car on the way to the meeting, the Sheikh didn't say he was doing it for the Abuddin, but for his family).

Depending on all of that, it's possible that calling elections wouldn't be in the Sheikh's best interest, since he might expect to lose, and that he'd prefer other reforms.

Now that I think about it, I'm surprised that in the entire time he's been in exile, the Sheikh has never called for elections. I also don't recall his son ever mentioning that possibility during the protests in the square.

Speaking of Molly, once again I thought her wardrobe for the big meeting was inappropriate, and that giant bow on the back of the dress was awful.

Prom queen immediately came to mind every time I've seen her in the last few episodes.

I also don't recall his son ever mentioning that possibility during the protests in the square.

The politics and worldview of the show are a mess. I get it's trying to be an amalgam of what's been happening in the Middle East, but there has to be some clarity in what Abboudin's specific situation is.

Yeah, for a brief second, I totally thought Jamal's mistress was Molly.

I was thinking she was the American Ambassador's wife. 

(when the Sheikh was talking to his son in the car on the way to the meeting, the Sheikh didn't say he was doing it for the Abuddin, but for his family).

I tuned in late so,  I didn't see this scene. But the radical young leader (can't  remember his name) is  the Sheikh's nephew.

• Love 1

She was never ID'd as such, but that doesn't mean it isn't true. We don't know anything about her except the relationship has been going on for a while and she seems to know how to handle Jamal.

• Love 1

If the Sheikh truly does think (and as we all know is somewhat true) that Bassam is the one influencing his brother towards less totalitarianism and more openness and willingness towards change, then his blatant attempts at pitting them against each other say a lot about his real motivations.

She was never ID'd as such, but that doesn't mean it isn't true. We don't know anything about her except the relationship has been going on for a while and she seems to know how to handle Jamal.

The ambassador's wife and the mistress were played by two different women.

I tuned in late so,  I didn't see this scene. But the radical young leader (can't  remember his name) is  the Sheikh's nephew.

I believe Ihab Rashid, the radical young leader, is the Sheik's son.  In this episode, Jamal referred to Ihab as the monkey and the Sheikh as the monkey's father.  Also, the reviews I've read of both this episode and the previous episode refer to them as father and son.  I believe Ihab is the nephew of Walid, the Sheik's brother.

• Love 1
(edited)
OTOH, Bassam is naive, self-righteous and allowed himself to be totally outplayed by the Sheik.

This is becoming repetitive. There is a problem, Jamal instinctively wants to handle it "the old way," Bassam says here is a better way, the better way doesn't work (usually because it ends up being too naive), and Jamal is left in a worse situation than he was in before in the sense of his being ruler. Rinse and repeat. The only difference in the cycle is that Jamal finally seems to be getting irked at Bassam, and the Sheik is/was playing off that.

What needs to happen is either Jamal tries something on his own and it fails, or Bassam suggests something that Jamal actually makes work better. Let's have some variety, show.

And no way the Sheik ends up in that bathroom with none of his people at least waiting outside and observing Jamal leaving.

If the Sheikh truly does think (and as we all know is somewhat true) that Bassam is the one influencing his brother towards less totalitarianism and more openness and willingness towards change, then his blatant attempts at pitting them against each other say a lot about his real motivations.

What it actually does is make Bassam more important than he would have been otherwise. If the opposition becomes more deferential to Bassam, people will notice, it spreads and ultimately there will be a showdown between brothers. And I suspect Bassam may be a far more difficult opponent than Jamal. It's easy to manipulate hotheads.

Edited by Ottis

It's interesting that Jamal does actually seem open to change and to Bassam's influence, as it were.  But Jamal is also heavily influenced by that Qadaffi video, too, and I think that is a huge motivator.  He sees the writing on the wall.

Loved the 60 Minutes interview clips.

Yeah, for a brief second, I totally thought Jamal's mistress was Molly.  That certainly would have been a hell of a twist.

Jamal and his evil penis are baaaaack! (that was one massive erection Leila turned her back on - heh)

And, mistress was a dead ringer for Molly. Wonder what her story is.

Re: Bassam - like Leila said: "Look at you, so impressed with yourself." That dude is going to get everyone killed.

Not missing the kids at all.

I'm so rooting for Jamal, his character is the most riveting thing about this show.

• Love 1
(that was one massive erection Leila turned her back on - heh)

Seriously. Jamal's face when he saw it was hilarious.

Is Justin Kirk's character supposed to be the American ambassador or some sort of special envoy? I thought Jordana Spiro played his girlfriend or someone he knew, not his wife.

(edited)

I believe Ihab Rashid, the radical young leader, is the Sheik's son.  In this episode, Jamal referred to Ihab as the monkey and the Sheikh as the monkey's father.

Thanks I saw that last night. I was confused by on the night of the bachelor's party,I got the impression the nephew of the opposing party.

I hate the way they throw in these players who seem to be vital to the story line, without "proper introduction". The man who burned himself to death and now Jamal's  American'(?) mistress

I guess I want everything spoon-fed so  I don't have to think  about or remember  details from week to week.

Edited by stacey
Fixing quote issues
I had to laugh (sorry) when Jamal "helped" the Sheik in the bathroom.

I laughed too because I knew the Sheik was eventually going to find his ass in a sling with all the talk against Jamal and his family that he was making.

Once is fine, but he seemed to take pleasure in taunting the Al Fayed family on a regular basis right up to the moment when he wound up alone in the bathroom with Jamal.

Not particularly smart, you wind up dead like that, or at the least, your head bashed on the toilet seat...

I'm really beginning to like Jamal's complex character.

I really enjoyed several moments of humor: 'i will take that under advisement' and for some reason when Barry texted him from outside, his expression was hilarious. 

I know Jamal said he was meeting the ambassador to Norway, but she didn't sound Norwegian, so I'm guessing that was just a cover story.

Jamal hilariously winked at the other guy in the car when he said that. 

Hope Sheikh survives, shame on you Jamal.

I don't. I think the episode made it clear that it was setting up a brother v brother election. The Sheikh was telling Barry how he is his father's son, and now there's some mystery what lead to the gas attack, which it is totally believable that the General set it all up on his own. 

What it actually does is make Bassam more important than he would have been otherwise. If the opposition becomes more deferential to Bassam, people will notice, it spreads and ultimately there will be a showdown between brothers. And I suspect Bassam may be a far more difficult opponent than Jamal. It's easy to manipulate hotheads.

I actually think the Sheikh's entire motivation for running was to set up Barry. 

TPTBs made an error not just shipping the kids back to the USA right off the bat. This show doesn't need them, and not every show needs kids in it. When Barry runs for President they could fly the kids back out. 

• Love 1

The show could have used the kids to point out how the younger Abbudins see the status quo, but instead all we got was a glimpse of how the privileged live, which zzzzzzz. That nightclub could have been anywhere.

I don't see why the kids can't be shipped back to the States, either. What time of year is it supposed to be? Don't they have school soon? Perfect reason to never see them again.

• Love 1

Finally watching this episode and I had to hit "pause" to say:

Alice Krige is SO GOOD!  I totally bought her 60 Minutes interview.  "My son wants what's best for Abbudin, even if that thing is not him."  Oh, wait, no, she means Rapey Jamal. 

Also, Barry really glossed over the loser scenario, didn't he?  Jamal can just go buy an island somewhere and live in exile.  Beach bum, imperial ruler--same same.

Also, Barry really glossed over the loser scenario, didn't he?  Jamal can just go buy an island somewhere and live in exile.  Beach bum, imperial ruler--same same.

I actually kind of bought it, because I think Bassam is trying to subtly remind him that this leadership role was never a thing he really wanted. Jamal spends an awful lot of his free time watching news footage of a bloodied and doomed Gathafi. It didn't work, of course--Jamal eventually drank the familial Kool-Aid to devastating effect, so his decision to "help" the sheik in the bathroom wasn't too surprising.

This show has some problems, but Jamal is definitely not one of them. I'm amazed at how invested I am in learning more about such a reprehensible creature. His character is far more layered and complex than Bassam's character has any hope of being.

• Love 3

I really liked the tv interview bits, it was hilarious to see everyone putting so much effort in faking it. 

I watch this show and keep wondering what could have been if Bassam had been half as compelling as Jamal who by all means should be a ridiculous character but ends up being the one we all seem to be invested in. And it's not like Bassam's life isn't rife with material to create an interesting character - on the contrary, there's so much potential, but he always just sounds like some random political advisor. I don't feel his emotional connection to any of what's happening, and it doesn't help that his lines are often terribly banal.

Edited by glitterpants
This show has some problems, but Jamal is definitely not one of them. I'm amazed at how invested I am in learning more about such a reprehensible creature.

He's shaping up to be one of tv's classic villains. I don't have to root or like characters to watch a show, but if they're boring, I'm out. He's not boring. 

Also, Barry really glossed over the loser scenario, didn't he?  Jamal can just go buy an island somewhere and live in exile.

I used to wonder why those dictators like Qaddafi or Saddam Hussein for instance would never just take their money and just leave so that they could live in opulence and not get killed.  I realized that plenty of people have money, some of them have billions even.

How many of them have a country?  Very few.

The traditional wisdom says power is a greater aphrodisiac than wealth.  These ruler types wouldn't ever be able to replicate the lifestyle they're used to, no matter how big their Swiss bank accounts. 

Jamal agreed to ditch the dynasty and hold democratic elections way too fast.  His wife had a point when she asked about his son's birthright.  I think the smarter move would have been to say:

"Look, I've only now inherited the position.  Did you see me let those men out of prison--I'm different from my father.  He would not have tolerated the protests in the square, but I hear you.  Give me time [5 years?] to prove myself and we will revisit the question of elections then.  I want what's best for Abbudin, even if it isn't me."  [Love that line!]

Then he could float the bonds, build the schools and hospitals, set up some sheik/citizen advisory panels and get those insurgents off his back for some breathing room.  It's not much different from Barry's plan, without giving away the store.

Jamal agreed to ditch the dynasty and hold democratic elections way too fast.  His wife had a point when she asked about his son's birthright.  I think the smarter move would have been to say:

"Look, I've only now inherited the position.  Did you see me let those men out of prison--I'm different from my father.  He would not have tolerated the protests in the square, but I hear you.  Give me time [5 years?] to prove myself and we will revisit the question of elections then.  I want what's best for Abbudin, even if it isn't me."  [Love that line!]

That assumes the people of Abuddin will give Jamal time. I think for this scenario to work, Jamal has to make some immediate, major changes to how the country functions. I'm not sure he is willing to do that. He very reluctantly agreed to hold free elections, and we don't know if they will actually happen.

I think in many cases, they stay for the military and all the others who've supported the regime for years.

The dictators may be able to exile themselves and their families, assuming they've not committed war crimes or are wanted by the ICC and assuming some country is willing to host them.

But they might not be able to leave behind those who made their power possible.  Supposedly that was a factor in Egypt, as a reason Mubarak didn't leave.  I think the US would have facilitated his exile just to avoid bloodshed on the streets.

Just a simple question - why not just stall the elections with excuses 'cause the Sheikh is  (was) not long for this world.  In truth the attempt in the bathroom was a possibility that the Sheikh could have hit his head with his retching.

I enjoy the Jamal character the most in the way they have developed him.  I guess I always thought once  you begin to do things the right way, you'd continue.  It seems all of a sudden Jamal just snaps.  Not as bad as someone like Saddam Hussein.  He used to hang boys from lamp posts and let them rot as warnings.  He and his sons watched videos of the people he had tortured, raped, etc.  Jamal has a way to go - hope  it doesn't happen though.  His wife, Lelia,  is the most dangerous.

Well, if he didn't have the elections and kept stalling, it would probably make the situation worse because then everyone would think he was full of shit. Kind of like, once you call the elections, you have to go all in. Maybe he should have stalled on making the decision to hold elections. Or set a date farther along where it's possible the Sheikh would die in the meantime.