Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: Enter Number Two

• Start Topic

On 5/6/2021 at 5:19 PM, blixie said:

I don't think the math really works for DJ to be Kevin's if everything is as was stated and Erin wasn't lying about DJ being a year old. If he is, he was conceived 22 months ago and Kevin was dead a month earlier.

Unless Erin left town to give birth to DJ, I doubt she could be lying about his age to anyone local. But we know DJ has had his first birthday -- do we know how long ago that was? Could he be 14 months old?

Even with DJ's date of birth publicly known, she would have some leeway to lie to potential fathers about the date of conception, or to Frank if she wanted to tell him Kevin was the father posthumously. But if Frank believed Kevin was the father I don't know why he wouldn't have wanted to acknowledge the relationship openly and let the family, including Drew, know DJ.

• Love 1

I guess I thought “enter number two” (by way of Gordon Lightfoot) referred to Zabel as Mare’s second suitor.  There’s something in the song about someone bringing “all the good things out” in the singer of the song. In a way, Zabel actually does/did bring out the better Mare. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 5/4/2021 at 12:59 PM, gesundheit said:

I agree, but what she did have solid evidence of was that he 100% lied to her face about a murdered girl. It would be very strange not to immediately confront him, I think.

On 5/3/2021 at 5:05 PM, gesundheit said:

I guess for me it was just everything about the question that couldn't wait -- a man she knew who was in that exact current moment in a house full of kids was potentially someone who raped a kid and was linked to a murder of that kid. It certainly wasn't clever detective work or anything at all, but I imagine most people with any concern for the safety of others would've felt it couldn't wait one single second. I'd be more worried about a detective in that position with those relationships being emotionally detached enough to say "well, guess there's nothing to do at the moment, we'll handle this by the book tomorrow, strategically." That would've really thrown me. So yes, bad police work, good human-ing? (That's the best way I can put it.)

YMMV, but I disagree.  If Mare were just an average concerned neighbor, maybe I could see her barging over like that.  But as a detective, she is just begging Frank's eventual lawyer (if it went that far) to find grounds to throw out whatever she thought she was going to somehow convince Frank to say by ambushing him.  She was very very emotional, and that's when people make mistakes..  If she waited, and had him at the station, there would still be the element of surprise when she (or someone else) confronted him, and there would be clearer heads, as well as other detectives or even videotape if he did end up saying something incriminating.    

On 5/3/2021 at 12:04 PM, cmahorror said:

Mare did give Frank plenty of opportunity to talk to her away from everyone. She asked him several times to speak with her outside before finally saying why she wanted to speak with him and, even then, she didn't drop the big bomb, just told him she knew he lied to her. Then Frank left the door open for everyone to hear what was going on, including his daughter. That is some passive-aggressive assholery of the first order there. It makes Mare look like the bad guy for questioning Frank even though he was the one in the wrong to lie to her in the first place.

But I think the point is that he was not obligated at all to talk to her in the first place, so the fact that she offered to do it outside is kind of moot.  I know this isn't a great analogy, but it's kind of like if a bully gives a kid multiple opportunities to hand over their lunch money, and then the kid doesn't so he beats the kid up, the bully can't then claim, "but I gave him multiple chances to do what I said", cause there was no legit reason for the kid to need to hand over the money in the first place.

On 5/3/2021 at 12:43 PM, lakin1013 said:

2. Mom Helen calls social services to find out what Carrie has to do to get Drew back.  NO.  That is betrayal of magnitudes so large I cannot even guess at them.

I thought she said she had a friend in social services, and then the friend easily could have been generically telling her what a person in Carrie's situation would have to do to get their child back. 

On 5/3/2021 at 5:36 PM, peachmangosteen said:

Another UO but I didn't think Evan Peters was very good in the drunk scenes. 

I didn't either...for some reason the whole time, I kept feeling like I was watching someone playing the part of someone being drunk, rather than feeling like I was actually watching someone being drunk

On 5/2/2021 at 11:29 PM, FemmyV said:

Who was the grafittist on the video tape, and why did Mare think the best thing to do was let them off the hook?

As I think someone else said, I think it's the surly kid who lives behind them.  I think Mare just didn't want to have to deal with it, since there would now be proof and she'd need to take it farther, but I also think she might have been trying to spare their feelings since the kid gave the finger to the camera.

• Love 3

Not clear on how Mare thought she'd get away with planting evidence however, when Carrie said something like, "I don't give a shit about his ticks". I could see Mare feeling total despair that this kid has no shot at a healthy life if he ends up with her. A judge and social workers might agree. At least wait until it goes through the system.

Mare does seem somewhat impulsive which in my mind makes a bad detective. Zabel's description of his dogged strategy sounds like it would work better in terms of actually solving cases.

• Love 2
On 5/3/2021 at 12:41 AM, gesundheit said:

But we know Mare took the drugs from evidence to do "something bad," so unless she changed her mind and then someone else planted the exact same drugs from evidence, she still framed her. What else could have happened that absolves Mare here? Maybe I'm not thinking big enough but it seemed pretty black and white, especially since she didn't really defend herself. 

What kind of cop is stupid enough to plant evidence in its original bag with such a memorable logo AND  change the inventory list Jeez. Wouldn’t you just take some out of a few bags and put in a plain bag duh

• Love 2
(edited)
On 5/3/2021 at 12:41 AM, Ms Blue Jay said:

I really didn't like Jean Smart hanging so precariously on the top of that bannister.  What the hell was the point of that besides giving me major anxiety?  And who talks to someone from that far away on their first meeting?  Such odd filming (or character?) choices.

Quoting myself, Jean talks about it here.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Thanks 1
On 5/2/2021 at 10:18 PM, Vella said:

Why is the writing for this show so bad, especially for Mare? I don't mind if someone is unlikable, but when she confronted Frank, she came off 100% like a jealous ex-wife. Why is she so bad at her job? Why can't she do ANY of it in a seemingly professional manner?  Getting told extremely important information and then reacting so over the top that she's screeching at him 2ft from his daughter's ears, then invites said daughter into the fiasco and then 15 seconds later she somehow gets shamed back to her own house?...

Why is this bad writing? It's who the character is.

It was abundantly clear to me, even though it was subtext, that "jealous ex-wife" is a huge undercurrent driving Mare's actions--although she doesn't realize it. She is destructive, and self-destructive. I don't have a problem with that. In fact, I find it interesting in a show's hero.

So how exactly did Dylan get to the hospital after being shot? He was shot in the middle of nowhere in the middle of the night by Lori's dad. The dad's buddies found him passed out by the stream the next morning. And then the doctor said it was good that Dylan got to the hospital as quickly as he did or he might not have survived? So how did he get to the hospital?

On 10/21/2021 at 10:01 PM, Kel Varnsen said:

So how exactly did Dylan get to the hospital after being shot? He was shot in the middle of nowhere in the middle of the night by Lori's dad. The dad's buddies found him passed out by the stream the next morning. And then the doctor said it was good that Dylan got to the hospital as quickly as he did or he might not have survived? So how did he get to the hospital?

I'm only just now watching, and I hesitate to post much on these episode threads, but I definitely had the same question and kind of assumed it would eventually be explained, and somehow be meaningful.  At least as a red herring.  I guess everyone else knows by now, so I'm off to watch the next episode.

Oh and I also questioned whether Colin was drunk, or "drunk", for some yet unknown reason.  Maybe related to "planting" the evidence?  I dunno.  Glad I don't have to wait a week for a new episode!

I agree about the Broadchurch vibes.