Type keyword(s) to search

Bargain Block - General Discussion

• Start Topic

HGTV's "Home Town Takeover" shows local contractors and work people. I'd love it if "Bargain Block" did the same.

Also, I'd be interested in seeing how the men deal with loan officers. What goes into the loan decision from the bank's perspective?

• Love 2
On 5/7/2021 at 7:57 AM, OFDgal said:

Watching him put those circular pieces of wood on the wall, I was thinking that to get rid of that ugliness you would have to cut that part of the wall out.  He put too many nails in each piece to be able to remove them any other way. 

I think HGTV must be encouraging the "artist" guy to "create" all that bizarre "design" work in order to make this show unique. What convinced me was seeing an article about them with photos of some of their earlier flips that were very traditional with nice staging.

• Love 2
25 minutes ago, CruiseDiva said:

I think HGTV must be encouraging the "artist" guy to "create" all that bizarre "design" work in order to make this show unique. What convinced me was seeing an article about them with photos of some of their earlier flips that were very traditional with nice staging.

I wonder if some of their bizarre decorating has something to do with the furnishings they have available.  These houses are sold furnished so I would think that might dictate some of the choices.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I kind of like the show.  I guess it's the premise I like the most. I was wondering just how the 2 of them got all of that work done though.  I know HGTV shows have elves come in while we're not watching to do all the work.

I hate the designs on most of them.  The one I saw last night had branches in a headboard.  How do you avoid getting your hair or pillow case tangled up in that?

I did not like the all black first floor.  The rest of the rooms were nice bright colors and looked nice.

I hated the bed with the curtain hanging haphazardly from the ceiling.

I like the 2 guys and I get a kick on them wheeling that shopping cart of belongings from house to house.

Real Estate lady has such a nasally voice.

• Love 3

I've noticed something interesting and a disheartening on this site. It seems that if a viewer has a problem with the voice, face, or hair of a buyer/seller, that buyer/seller is invariably a woman.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
(edited)
On 5/5/2021 at 9:21 PM, akg said:

I found this article (She works in Detroit’s mortgage industry — but she could still barely get one for her own home) to be very interesting (definitely more interesting than Keith's decorating). The She of the title (Diamond DeYampert) bought one of K&E's houses but had to jump through a ton of hoops to get the mortgage finalized. 

There's more but those are the sections most relevant to the show. Again, I wish they were including more of the behind the scenes stuff like this. The way they're filming now makes everything seem super easy. And this would be a great way to educate HGTV viewers on redlining and other barriers Black people face when trying to buy a home.

When I read this article, I didn’t imagine she would actually be on the show, so I was quite surprised when she showed up in last night’s episode!  It was rather bittersweet seeing her so excited about the house and knowing the hurdles she would face in trying to buy it. It’s also easily my favorite of the houses they’ve done, and if designing for a client actually makes Keith practice some restraint, then I’m all for it. (Total coincidence, but I had just been thinking at the beginning of the episode that I was surprised they weren’t being approached by buyers who were looking to buy and renovate a house in the neighborhood.)

I would totally want a half-bath upstairs, though I get why they didn’t spend the time and money to put one in.

ETA Wow, and the appraisal ended up bringing the purchase price down to $88k from the $102k that she offered. 😬 

Edited by netlyon2
Remembered the purchase price problem
  • Love 3
(edited)

What I really disliked about the Urban whatever house was the 'railing' on the upper part of the stair way wasn't up to code, and the spaces between stair railings were way too big.    So, I'm hoping that was fixed after the filming.    The kitchen was much better than the original, though I didn't like the very light counter tops.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 4

I just saw this for the first time- it was the 'Safari' house and the 'Country Estates' house episode. The giant leopard, giraffe and whatever the 3rd one was painted 'wallpaper' treatments were actually kind of interesting and seemed to be appealing to the buyers they featured (shrugs).

The detail I was baffled by was the bunk bed they built; I think it was in the Country Estates house 2nd bedroom. The top bunk was at least 6 feet above the bottom one;  there was no railing or anything around the top part and there seemed to be a mattress, so I think it was meant to be used by a 2nd kid. Seemed extremely dangerous. 

• Love 10

Good point about the towering upper bunk on the bunk bed.  It was unusable as a bed, any kid who managed to get up there could never get down safely, and they could never sit up without hitting their head on the ceiling.    They could have given more storage space with under bed drawers, and no top bunk.   A book case headboard would have been nice too. 

The safari theme with the thick paint spots will be horrible to try to cover up.    

• Love 6

Interesting couple of homes tonight. Loved how the first open houser was the former owner of the house with the decrepit bathroom. Yeah, they fixed it right. I hope.

Didn't sound like they had a lot of faith in the buyers from the School House's open house. So I'll bet they were glad to take any offer. 

That upstairs room was cute, but I assume the door was a closet. And so the one-bath was downstairs. Hope the buyer is young.🤣

• Love 2
2 hours ago, buttersister said:

Interesting couple of homes tonight. Loved how the first open houser was the former owner of the house with the decrepit bathroom. Yeah, they fixed it right. I hope.

Didn't sound like they had a lot of faith in the buyers from the School House's open house. So I'll bet they were glad to take any offer. 

That upstairs room was cute, but I assume the door was a closet. And so the one-bath was downstairs. Hope the buyer is young.🤣

That is what I don't like about this show.   The budget is unrealistic.  That bathroom was falling apart.  Are you trying to tell me the plumbing and the electric in these houses are ok?  They didn't even address it.  They replaced the rotten wood and went on their way.

• Love 4

Neither the Farm House or the School House were obvious themes at all. Quite odd that both non-theme houses were in the same episode. I wonder if the woman who sold the house feels she got a good deal or not? And where did she move to?

3 hours ago, Grrarrggh said:

Neither the Farm House or the School House were obvious themes at all. Quite odd that both non-theme houses were in the same episode. 

Those were two of the least obnoxious houses they've renovated, but the geometric "pass through" from the kitchen to the living area in each house was weird. Also... very little storage in those kitchens without upper cabinets.

• Love 4
34 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

What made me confused about the round pass through was that it was right over the stove (unless I wasn't paying attention, again), and didn't have a range hood, or did it?   

I noticed that as well and though it would be totally unusable with the stove below it. I didn't see a range hood. Do these guys ever put one in?

2 hours ago, CruiseDiva said:

the geometric "pass through" from the kitchen to the living area in each house was weird.

At least they put a shelf in the triangle one so things could be put there. Although that might interfere with socializing. I feel like pass throughs should do both. If they wanted to do fancy shapes, maybe mirror the tops of the awesome doorways (speaking of mirrors, they've used this one in almost every bathroom).

I hated the padded shapes they used for a headboard in the school house master bedroom. Better than sticks you can't rest your head on but still ugly.

Open shelves in kitchens don't make sense to me. There's almost no storage and what is there has to be organized and pretty. 

• Love 4

I think the open shelves are cheaper than upper cabinets.    The only place I've heard an explanation that makes sense is on the short term rental or vacation market, where everything people need in the kitchen is out where they can find dishes, and glassware easily.   For a regular house, it's either to save money on putting up upper cabinets, or a design feature no one will ever like.   If I was looking at a house, and wanted a lower price, I would rather not have open shelves, and just leave the wall painted, and if you want to you can add upper cabinets later.   I would never use an open shelf, in the kitchen or bath.    

• Love 5
3 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I think the open shelves are cheaper than upper cabinets

Definitely. The shelves also help make a small kitchen seem larger. 

I forgot to mention the camper. If I were buying that house, I'd make them haul that away before I signed anything. It took up a nice chunk of the backyard and was pretty useless. 

• Love 6
35 minutes ago, akg said:

I forgot to mention the camper. If I were buying that house, I'd make them haul that away before I signed anything. It took up a nice chunk of the backyard and was pretty useless. 

That would be my demand as well. What were those dudes thinking? Who the heck would want to use that decrepit camper for "living" space? Even fixed up it was an eyesore.

Instead of messing around with the camper they could have put in an upper cabinet in the kitchen.

• Love 4

After seeing all these episodes you can tell they have a warehouse with multiples of things like tile, mirrors, wood countertops etc. They use them in practically every single house. 

BTW, isn't all tile hand laid?

• Love 1
42 minutes ago, Grrarrggh said:

After seeing all these episodes you can tell they have a warehouse with multiples of things like tile, mirrors, wood countertops etc. They use them in practically every single house. 

After laying 1000+ sqft of tile in my basement, I know my wrists were begging for a machine to do it...

• LOL 2
1 hour ago, Grrarrggh said:

I can't remember the exact context but you can use something like this for walls/backsplashes. It's more of a sticker and doesn't need grout (I think). I don't know about floors. Which reminds me, I'm very curious how well the tile floor Keith painted a few episodes ago is going to hold up. Especially in a heavy traffic area like the kitchen.

• Useful 1
11 hours ago, akg said:

I forgot to mention the camper. If I were buying that house, I'd make them haul that away before I signed anything. It took up a nice chunk of the backyard and was pretty useless. 

All I could think was, why didn't they keep the trailer for themselves to live in - rather than moving their stuff from house to house in that ridiculous shopping cart and wagon - that gimmick got old fast.  
In the unlikely event that they don't own any property where they could put the trailer, maybe the guys could harness up and pull it to each worksite.😉

• LOL 4
  • Love 4
14 minutes ago, kirklandia said:

All I could think was, why didn't they keep the trailer for themselves to live in - rather than moving their stuff from house to house in that ridiculous shopping cart and wagon - that gimmick got old fast.  

Heh. Good point. Although it wouldn't be fun unless they could connect water and electricity. Which is another issue they're leaving for the future owners.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
On 5/20/2021 at 11:32 PM, akg said:

At least they put a shelf in the triangle one so things could be put there. Although that might interfere with socializing. I feel like pass throughs should do both. If they wanted to do fancy shapes, maybe mirror the tops of the awesome doorways (speaking of mirrors, they've used this one in almost every bathroom).

I hated the padded shapes they used for a headboard in the school house master bedroom. Better than sticks you can't rest your head on but still ugly.

Open shelves in kitchens don't make sense to me. There's almost no storage and what is there has to be organized and pretty. 

Can't stand all the open shelving they are showing in kitchens.  You want to be able to hide all your dishes and glasses in cupboards where it doesn't have to be perfectly neat.  Besides maybe 2 for decorative purposes or coffee mugs, I don't want any.  That headboard was too ugly for words.  Awful.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, justdoit10 said:

You want to be able to hide all your dishes and glasses in cupboards where it doesn't have to be perfectly neat. 

AND keep them clean.  Who wants to have to dust everything they take down from a shelf before they use it?  My crystal is behind closed doors and it still needs to be taken out and washed once a year.

How are they not wearing masks at some of the walk throughs. Those places look so vile, I can't even imagine the cooties floating around.

• Love 6
18 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I think the lack of upper cabinets is because they don't want to pay to buy and install them.   

Not necessarily. In the latest Flip or Flop episodes T&C didn't install upper cabinets either and that house sold for over $2M. The money they spent on that house would be probably be enough for a whole season of Bargain Block. Floating shelves look pretty but they're very impractical. Some of the cabinets in the kitchen I inherited from my mom don't have doors and it's such a hassle to constantly clean everything.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Sewlitaire said:

Not necessarily. In the latest Flip or Flop episodes T&C didn't install upper cabinets either and that house sold for over $2M. The money they spent on that house would be probably be enough for a whole season of Bargain Block. Floating shelves look pretty but they're very impractical. Some of the cabinets in the kitchen I inherited from my mom don't have doors and it's such a hassle to constantly clean everything.

Agreed. I saw that Flip or Flop house that sold for over $2M and thought that the kitchen needed upper cabinets over the counter where the dishwasher was located (between two windows). I have some wine glasses on the top shelf of a kitchen cabinet with doors and they need washing before I use them because they are used so seldom. For me, so much open shelving would be a nightmare.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Sewlitaire said:

That only proves that being cheap can pay off. There are a lot of moronic buyers out there. 

• Love 7
On 4/28/2021 at 5:01 PM, akg said:

Thanks! I have no idea why my google could not find that. 

I have a confession. I actually liked the chipped paint wall. I'm not sure I'd want it in my house, taking up a whole wall but I would definitely consider buying a smaller, framed version.

I liked it too. As a younger person, I like a lot of what he does. I feel like a lot of people on here are close minded. A lot of people like that type of stuff, hence why hgtv brought on the show. Every other show is basically the same style designs so it’s refreshing to see something different

• Love 8
9 minutes ago, Grrarrggh said:

A big no-no to see them tiling over old tile in the "bohemian" house bathroom. And what happened to their token real estate agent? 

I find the show interesting, but I worry about the quality of their work.

• Love 9
(edited)
16 minutes ago, Grrarrggh said:

And what happened to their token real estate agent? 

Was it just me, or did this whole episode feel like an alternative pilot (and what we saw before was the 'restructured' show)? In addition to alternative real estate agent, they had a regular mattress (not an inflatable), re-explained everything they do in detail, all the buyers looked like their friends, and the big kicker -- this was fairly straight-forward, less-wackadoo design.

[Also, re: the tile: They even put up a pop-up explanation saying it was 'okay' to tile over old tile under a bunch of conditions that I doubt they met, instead of being honest that they a) didn't want to do the demo and b) were worried at what was behind there if they did do demo, lol.]

Edited by tljgator
  • Love 8
(edited)

The house with the narrow stairs, and an upstairs main bedroom was hideous.    So whoever has the big bedroom has to go downstairs for the bathroom?   That should be fun to do in the middle of the night.     I think that must have been the pilot episode, there so much was explanation, 

I couldn't believe anyone would put tile over existing tile, especially in a bathroom that's been there for many years.   Who knows if there have been any leaks, or other issues over the years.   Also, a house of that era probably needs a complete rewire, and repipe.    

The dark green cabinets were different, but I didn't like the back splash color.   However, the pink cabinets didn't appeal to me at all.  

The black paint on the exterior of that one house was hideous, in my opinion.    

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, Grrarrggh said:

And what happened to their token real estate agent? 

This realtor is the one listed on all of Evan and Keith's houses I could find on zillow. Which strengthens the theory that this was a pilot.

1 hour ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

The house with the narrow stairs, and an upstairs main bedroom was hideous.    So whoever has the big bedroom has to go downstairs for the bathroom?

A lot of the houses they've worked on have had this set up. I think it's fairly common for houses of that era to have their attics redone as bedrooms with or without bathrooms. It depends on space, plumbing, cost... A lot of the houses in my neighborhood (built between the 20s and 60s) have that layout. I got lucky and whoever finished the attic in my house put in a full bath (the floor space up there is more than we've seen on this show though).

It would match nothing I own but I desperately want that green couch. 

Ooh, you can decorate your own space with some of by Keith's artwork! NINE Design + Home is where they were shopping last night. It's Keith and Evan's shop but they didn't explain what it really sells (used furniture? vintage? redone?) beyond the guys' art and hand-built furniture. The prices seemed a lot more reasonable than I was expecting when they walked in but they must have decided later that Habitat ReStore and trash picking made more sense for their budgets.

I'm curious how long it will take before the comps on houses they've sold drives up the prices for the remaining homes. If there weren't so many signs of this being a pilot, I would have blamed the $27K price tag for the fire damaged house on higher neighborhood comps. 

Pink cabinets are never a good idea. I loved the dark green ones though. But hated all of the black they used on that house.

• Love 3
(edited)

I love this show because I live not far from this neighborhood they're redoing and I think it's awesome that someone has taken an interest in some reasonable realistic Detroit Restoration, Not just tearing shit sown and building expensive lofts for hipsters.  Detroit corruption and red tape will find a way to make anyone trying to do anything good want to scream and quit.  People judging this with the same eye that they use for Flip or Flop or Property Brothers seem to be missing the fact that most of these homes (not all) are abandon, stripped, burnt out 90 year old bungalows owned by the city land bank and being bought for $1000!!! You can't buy a broke down car for $1000.  These guys aren't taking a million dollar property in a great neighborhood with fabulous schools and amazing views and sinking $500,000 in for renovations.  I'm guessing they more than likely live in the properties not only to save money but also to protect them from squatters moving in and from being stripped again.  I believe the store, Nine, we saw in the most recent episode is their store. They may find things at salvation army or estate sales and re-sell it there along with some of Keith's art. 

Now...having said all that, YIKES! It is not my design aesthetic at all!  The geometric shapes and animal print, No thank you! The all black exterior looked like it had been in a fire. But I still love them. And some people love their design style. I hope they keep going and going.  

Edit* I went and read some of the criticisms after I posted and WTF?  I'm confused by people with zero investment in Detroit who are concerned that these two guys who live in this city and own a business in this city aren't personally invested enough.  Just lets think about that one for a minute ok?  I guess it would be better if no one did anything while we wait for someone to do something.  Many of these house were abandon for years.  There is a good chance that in a house that is $70,000 and 90 years old that someone along the way tiled over tile, or put flooring in over flooring or painted over lead paint.  Don't worry about lead pipes because the pipes were stripped and stolen a long time ago.  

Edited by lauralu
  • Like 1
  • Love 18

I was in and out of those neighborhoods as a visiting nurse many years ago. I applaud any effort to turn some of that around and make it livable again. There are many houses scattered throughout that area that take pride in their homes and it must be so disturbing when neighborhoods go downhill like that. The fact that they are selling those places for very little and furnished gives people on low incomes a chance at home ownership. None of them will ever be able to afford the suburbs or mini Mansions but at least they will have some place to come home to that they can be proud of. And hopefully uplift the rest of the neighborhood as well.

• Love 19
3 minutes ago, Cetacean said:

I was in and out of those neighborhoods as a visiting nurse many years ago. I applaud any effort to turn some of that around and make it livable again. There are many houses scattered throughout that area that take pride in their homes and it must be so disturbing when neighborhoods go downhill like that. The fact that they are selling those places for very little and furnished gives people on low incomes a chance at home ownership. None of them will ever be able to afford the suburbs or mini Mansions but at least they will have some place to come home to that they can be proud of. And hopefully uplift the rest of the neighborhood as well.

YES!!! What she said! I hope they inspire others to jump in. 

• Love 6

I didn’t catch if the D pride house had a buyer. Not believing the weird, FU, everybody, house sale went through. Why no open house? Putting up a sign and inviting the neighbors over doesn’t count. Where were all those creative people in town? I know they’re there. In town, that is.

The neighbors are super nice, though.

• Love 1
(edited)
On 5/28/2021 at 6:00 PM, lauralu said:

I love this show because I live not far from this neighborhood they're redoing and I think it's awesome that someone has taken an interest in some reasonable realistic Detroit Restoration, Not just tearing shit sown and building expensive lofts for hipsters.  Detroit corruption and red tape will find a way to make anyone trying to do anything good want to scream and quit.  People judging this with the same eye that they use for Flip or Flop or Property Brothers seem to be missing the fact that most of these homes (not all) are abandon, stripped, burnt out 90 year old bungalows owned by the city land bank and being bought for $1000!!! You can't buy a broke down car for $1000.  These guys aren't taking a million dollar property in a great neighborhood with fabulous schools and amazing views and sinking $500,000 in for renovations.  I'm guessing they more than likely live in the properties not only to save money but also to protect them from squatters moving in and from being stripped again.  I believe the store, Nine, we saw in the most recent episode is their store. They may find things at salvation army or estate sales and re-sell it there along with some of Keith's art. 

Now...having said all that, YIKES! It is not my design aesthetic at all!  The geometric shapes and animal print, No thank you! The all black exterior looked like it had been in a fire. But I still love them. And some people love their design style. I hope they keep going and going.  

Edit* I went and read some of the criticisms after I posted and WTF?  I'm confused by people with zero investment in Detroit who are concerned that these two guys who live in this city and own a business in this city aren't personally invested enough.  Just lets think about that one for a minute ok?  I guess it would be better if no one did anything while we wait for someone to do something.  Many of these house were abandon for years.  There is a good chance that in a house that is $70,000 and 90 years old that someone along the way tiled over tile, or put flooring in over flooring or painted over lead paint.  Don't worry about lead pipes because the pipes were stripped and stolen a long time ago.  

You would know better than me, being from the area.  The only thing I am leery about is the electric and plumbing since many of the houses have sat abandoned for so long.  Their budgets seem too small to cover that.  The houses do spruce up the neighborhoods instead of having a dilapidated eyesore next to you and I guess the design is in the eye of the buyer.  Keith is just sometimes way off the train tracks for me as far as his designs.  But in the end I am sure someone is proud to be an owner of an affordable house instead of paying rent.  It gives you a good feeling and more stake in the game.

Edited by justdoit10
spelling
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, buttersister said:

I didn’t catch if the D pride house had a buyer. Not believing the weird, FU, everybody, house sale went through. Why no open house? Putting up a sign and inviting the neighbors over doesn’t count. Where were all those creative people in town? I know they’re there. In town, that is.

The neighbors are super nice, though.

They said it sold for 75k at the end of the show.

• Love 2

The Mod house or whatever they called it was certainly colorful, but who paints the ceiling as a part of the wild wall colors?     The one upstairs bedroom was lovely, except for the candles/cowboy thing.       I guess the cut outs are to maximize the light into the closed off floor plans, but still kind of odd to me.    I wouldn't use wallpaper either.   I've never liked wallpaper, and having to remove even peel and stick would irritate me.    Wallpaper is so specific to individual taste, but the fact that they often use peel-and-stick would make it easier to change out if you didn't like it, or remove and paint.       I wasn't all that fond of either house. except to see on TV.      

• Love 1
15 hours ago, justdoit10 said:

The only thing I am leery about is the electric and plumbing since many of the houses have sat abandoned for so long.  Their budgets seem too small to cover that. 

One of the guys said the electric/plumbing in one of the houses was "pretty much" in good shape. Not sure what that means exactly, so leery is right.

• Love 3