Type keyword(s) to search

Nitpicking

• Start Topic

16 hours ago, jburdeen said:

Every time I watch KILL ME NOW, I desperately try to rationalize the timing of the episode.  We know Rory goes golfing on Saturday morning with Richard.  We later see her meet Lorelai at Lukes with the hat.  The next day, Sunday, she's at the Inn and Richard calls to talk about the book.  Then we see the GGs at home arguing about who's boobs are bigger, presumably Sunday afternoon.  Then we see Sookie and Lorelai almost get hit crossing the street to get strawberries for the wedding, and this has to be the next day, or the following weekend (?).  But, all the while they are prepping for the wedding which is supposedly happening that weekend, so unless it's a Tuesday wedding I can't figure out the timing. 

AND, on top of it, they bring R+E leftover blueberry shortcake at the next FND, but would the shortcake really last a whole week? I love this episode, so I am constantly trying to find a way to make sense of it, but I always come up short.  Anyone have any theories?

It was a weekday wedding.  Rory told Emily at FND that they were having a wedding at the Inn next week.  (She actually says "this week" but since it's Friday night already, it would be implied that she means the coming up week.)  Emily specifies that Richard can take Rory golfing on Sunday.  So it looks to me like -

Sunday - Richard & Rory go golfing, Lorelai checks guests in and works on wedding prep, tells Michel she expects a 'save me' call from Rory, Jackson tells Sookie he can't get her strawberries, Lorelai and Rory meet up at Luke's and Lorelai is miffed that Rory had a good time.

Monday - Miss Patty is teaching the brides and grooms how to dance, the mother of the brides and Drella argue over music, Lorelai and Rory have their childish fight over stretched out sweaters, Sookie finds a street vendor with strawberries but runs after Jackson when he gets upset

Tuesday (or possibly Wednesday) - the wedding takes place, Rory and Lorelai make up

Friday - FND, Lorelai takes "used" dessert to serve (that part always makes me giggle, as though she went around scraping it off plates or something, ha!)

• Love 2
50 minutes ago, Taryn74 said:

Tuesday (or possibly Wednesday) - the wedding takes place, Rory and Lorelai make up

It's just weird, though.  who has a big fancy wedding (and that was definitely a big fancy wedding) midweek.  And Rory was at the reception.  If it was Tues or WEd, why wasn't she at school?  I guess after school, but that seems like a lot of running around for people you don't even know (or to help her mom who has employees for that kind of thing).  Back to SH on the bus.  Run home to change clothes (unless Lorelei had them at the inn for her) and then to the inn, and we know she had a ton of homework because she always did.

• Love 2
18 hours ago, jburdeen said:

Anyone have any theories?

Before I can answer, I need to know if “lazy writing” can be considered a theory.

24 minutes ago, deaja said:

Before I can answer, I need to know if “lazy writing” can be considered a theory.

I'll take anything you got ;). 

As someone who got married on a Monday night at City Hall, I'm familiar with weekday weddings. That being said, I don't think I've ever heard of a mid-week wedding that was so well-attended (and fancy).

I have to say, I'm glad to hear that I didn't miss something (even if I have seen the episode 50+ times).  I love this episode because it really is the jumping off point of Richard and Rory's sweet relationship.

3 hours ago, deaja said:

Bahahaha.

Yeah it was strange that a midweek wedding was so big and fancy, but not impossible.  I did a google search for best days of the week to have a wedding, as well as religious/cultural traditions for days of the week, and it's not unheard of for people to be attached to "odd" days of the week for weddings.

Yes, I have a life.  Why do you ask?  >_<

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Taryn74 said:

Bahahaha.

Yeah it was strange that a midweek wedding was so big and fancy, but not impossible.  I did a google search for best days of the week to have a wedding, as well as religious/cultural traditions for days of the week, and it's not unheard of for people to be attached to "odd" days of the week for weddings.

Yes, I have a life.  Why do you ask?  >_<

True. But what @Katy M says is true too. Rory wouldn't be there if it was a weekday wedding. And the family hosting the wedding seemed very traditional, and were probably WASPs. So a weekday wedding would be weird.

• Love 2
(edited)
20 hours ago, Taryn74 said:

Bahahaha.

Also, if it's a destination wedding that includes a lot of festivities spread out over several days, this is not unheard of.

With people arriving on Saturday and the wedding not for a few days later (and they are staying in the hotel), I could see it happening.

I'm going with the lazy writing theory, though.

Back to the overused trope/joke - unruly swans.  ASP have something against swans?

Edited by stan4
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, stan4 said:

Back to the overused trope/joke - unruly swans.  ASP have something against swans?

Both Michel and Jess having been attacked by swans is too much.

In terms of nitpicking, there is also the episode when Lorelai has to get a haircut but can't because Sookie didn't show up to OK the sink at the Dragonfly. First, Sookie has absolutely no excuse for not being there. Millions of people have kids, and they still show up for work. Plus she behaves like a brat when Lorelai calls her out on it.
But what bugs me is that, on the phone with the sink guy, she was able to buy herself 10 minutes to get someone there. She calls Sookie who doesn't pick up, and Michel who's with Celine Dion (even if there was no Celine, he couldn't leave work, lets be honest...). Couldn't she call anyone from town who would be there is a heartbeat? Like Luke, Babette, Morey, Miss Patty... Hell even Taylor... When you're building a business and sufficiently in financial trouble that you can't pay your contractor, you do anything no to have to pay the delivery fees from Montreal twice. Especially since it wouldn't have changed anything to the story for Lorelai to yell at Sookie. Instead of "It's on its way back to Montreal," she could have said "Luke/Babette/Miss Patty had to leave work to sign for it."

• Love 3
1 hour ago, marineg said:

Both Michel and Jess having been attacked by swans is too much.

In terms of nitpicking, there is also the episode when Lorelai has to get a haircut but can't because Sookie didn't show up to OK the sink at the Dragonfly. First, Sookie has absolutely no excuse for not being there. Millions of people have kids, and they still show up for work. Plus she behaves like a brat when Lorelai calls her out on it.
But what bugs me is that, on the phone with the sink guy, she was able to buy herself 10 minutes to get someone there. She calls Sookie who doesn't pick up, and Michel who's with Celine Dion (even if there was no Celine, he couldn't leave work, lets be honest...). Couldn't she call anyone from town who would be there is a heartbeat? Like Luke, Babette, Morey, Miss Patty... Hell even Taylor... When you're building a business and sufficiently in financial trouble that you can't pay your contractor, you do anything no to have to pay the delivery fees from Montreal twice. Especially since it wouldn't have changed anything to the story for Lorelai to yell at Sookie. Instead of "It's on its way back to Montreal," she could have said "Luke/Babette/Miss Patty had to leave work to sign for it."

Reinforcing her fears of going into business with a flake.  It is a dumb excuse.  Our son was really tough and had 2 surgeries the first month of life and we were not giant flakes.

Don't forget the unruly swan at Rory's portrait sitting.

• Love 2
34 minutes ago, stan4 said:

Reinforcing her fears of going into business with a flake.  It is a dumb excuse.  Our son was really tough and had 2 surgeries the first month of life and we were not giant flakes.

Except that those fears only manifested themselves 2 times: with the sink, and when Lorelai freaked out over the Independence Inn getting sold. Sookie never got better at managing herself in the kitchen and being reliable.

Which brings me to say (not nitpicking though...) that Gilmore Girls in the worst at character growth. There is no character arc for any of them. They are the same as they were when the show started.

43 minutes ago, marineg said:

Which brings me to say (not nitpicking though...) that Gilmore Girls in the worst at character growth. There is no character arc for any of them. They are the same as they were when the show started.

That's not true.  Rory was a sweet, caring, thoughtful, responsible girl at the beginning of the series. At the end she was  a selfish stuck-up whining slacker.

• Love 8
15 minutes ago, Katy M said:

That's not true.  Rory was a sweet, caring, thoughtful, responsible girl at the beginning of the series. At the end she was  a selfish stuck-up whining slacker.

LOL!

I also thought that Logan grew (if you don't count the backsliding character assassination in the son of a motherless goat revival).

The adult characters I kind of forgive for not growing bc they are fully cooked and many people don't change much after a certain age (not impossible, but often unlikely).

• Love 1
24 minutes ago, Katy M said:

Rory was a sweet, caring, thoughtful, responsible girl at the beginning of the series. At the end she was  a selfish stuck-up whining slacker.

Is that growing or shrinking?

1 hour ago, Katy M said:

True, true. Although in screenwriting we more often see a character arc as positive. But yeah she was that and more. The way she behaved when she was looking for work. She actually got a job offer from an actual newspaper and turned it down for an internship. And ended up touring with Obama, writing on stinky buses like a hippie, for a blog no one has heard of.

1 hour ago, stan4 said:

I also thought that Logan grew (if you don't count the backsliding character assassination in the son of a motherless goat revival).

And Logan did grow, but ultimately, did it matter? He wasn't rewarded for it. 

1 hour ago, stan4 said:

The adult characters I kind of forgive for not growing bc they are fully cooked and many people don't change much after a certain age (not impossible, but often unlikely).

True in real life. But when you watch a show/movie, you want the characters to grow, to redeem themselves.

27 minutes ago, marineg said:

he way she behaved when she was looking for work. She actually got a job offer from an actual newspaper and turned it down for an internship.

I don't necessarily see that as a bad thing.  She was still young and IIRC she was hoping for something specific which she would have been unable to take if she took the job.  I mean, from what I understand (since I didn't actually watch it) in the revival she's still struggling professionally.  But, the early 20s are a time when you don't have to do the MOST responsible thing. I'm not saying she didn't have to be responsible at all.  But, she did end up with a job.  Maybe not as good as the one she turned down, but that's the time in your life to take risks.  Within reason, of course.  And whether anybody had heard of that blog or not, being on the campaign trail is not a bad thing to have your resume.  Plus, she had a support system so didn't have to worry about being homeless if it took her another six months to find the same type of job.  Not endorsing mooching, which again, she didn't end up doing, just saying she had some wiggle room.  I'm not one to defend post-high school Rory, but this wasn't that unreasonable of an action.

• Love 5
(edited)
9 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I don't necessarily see that as a bad thing.  She was still young and IIRC she was hoping for something specific which she would have been unable to take if she took the job.  I mean, from what I understand (since I didn't actually watch it) in the revival she's still struggling professionally.  But, the early 20s are a time when you don't have to do the MOST responsible thing. I'm not saying she didn't have to be responsible at all.  But, she did end up with a job.  Maybe not as good as the one she turned down, but that's the time in your life to take risks.  Within reason, of course.  And whether anybody had heard of that blog or not, being on the campaign trail is not a bad thing to have your resume.  Plus, she had a support system so didn't have to worry about being homeless if it took her another six months to find the same type of job.  Not endorsing mooching, which again, she didn't end up doing, just saying she had some wiggle room.  I'm not one to defend post-high school Rory, but this wasn't that unreasonable of an action.

True. But in my opinion it wasn't a well thought out decision like the one she (supposedly) always makes.

Back to nitpicking. When Rory and Paris go on spring break and they share the room with 5 other girls, which adds up to 7 people in a 2 queen beds room, a couch an a roll-away (as Paris mentions). So why did Rory and Paris each take a bed? If its a pull-out couch that sleeps 2 plus the roll-away, that's 3 people taken care of. So the 2 beds will have to be shared. So if Rory takes one bed and Paris the other, they will end up sleeping with people they don't know... That seems weird.

Edited by marineg
5 hours ago, marineg said:

And Logan did grow, but ultimately, did it matter? He wasn't rewarded for it. 

He got out from under his father's thumb and made moves to use his own creativity and gumption to do something.

I think he also learned how supportive and rewarding a  monogamous relationship could be.

I liked that for him.

(Again, putting aside revival malarkey where everyone went 10 steps backwards).

• Love 1
9 hours ago, stan4 said:

He got out from under his father's thumb and made moves to use his own creativity and gumption to do something.

I think he also learned how supportive and rewarding a  monogamous relationship could be.

I liked that for him.

(Again, putting aside revival malarkey where everyone went 10 steps backwards).

I know. I'm actually a big fan of Logan. I definitely think he learned a lot by being with Rory (like you, without talking about the travesty that was the revival). But he ended up losing his job, his girlfriend, and everything he worked towards. Yes, in the end he got potential job in SF, and I do think that he was a much better man than when we met him. But still, in terms of all the work he put into his relationship, he didn't get rewarded.

7 minutes ago, marineg said:

I know. I'm actually a big fan of Logan. I definitely think he learned a lot by being with Rory (like you, without talking about the travesty that was the revival). But he ended up losing his job, his girlfriend, and everything he worked towards. Yes, in the end he got potential job in SF, and I do think that he was a much better man than when we met him. But still, in terms of all the work he put into his relationship, he didn't get rewarded.

I think the things I mentioned were his rewards.  Not material things but what he learned and the independence he found.  Sometimes those kind of things carry you farther in life than getting your way.

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, stan4 said:

I think the things I mentioned were his rewards.  Not material things but what he learned and the independence he found.  Sometimes those kind of things carry you farther in life than getting your way.

In life, definitely. But in a show/movie, like I said earlier, you want a tangible reward for characters who demonstrate growth. You want the character to get the guy/job/house/vacation/car/whatever of their dreams. Yes, Logan demonstrated growth. But the whole show, he worked towards being a good boyfriend, and ultimately a good husband to Rory, and he just didn't get rewarded for getting there.

I get what you say, and he did get rewarded in a way for growing up and getting under his father's thumb, but not for the real relationship work he put in.

Nitpicking alert:

In S04E19, when Richard and Emily just separated, Lorelai and Rory go to Friday night dinner. They get there early and Emily, who's staying at a hotel, arrives after them making the situation weird. About 3 minutes after they all arrive, the maid walks in, announces dinner is ready, and Emily says "Already? But it's only 7 now." So the implication is that 7 is too early for dinner. Even too early for cocktails sine they have even started drinking them. And yet, every freaking time that dinner time at the Gilmores has been brought up, it was 7pm. There was a whole skit once with Emily pretending that dinner wasn't ready although it was 7, and Lorelai saying that her entire life they have eaten dinner at exactly 7, and Richard freaking out that it is 7 and they are not yet eating. 

Is that lazy writing too? That so many times they pound into our heads that the Gilmores have dinner at 7 on the dot, but then, one day, dinner being ready at 7 is too damn early for cocktails and dinner? 

• Love 2
22 hours ago, marineg said:

Nitpicking alert:

In S04E19, when Richard and Emily just separated, Lorelai and Rory go to Friday night dinner. They get there early and Emily, who's staying at a hotel, arrives after them making the situation weird. About 3 minutes after they all arrive, the maid walks in, announces dinner is ready, and Emily says "Already? But it's only 7 now." So the implication is that 7 is too early for dinner. Even too early for cocktails sine they have even started drinking them. And yet, every freaking time that dinner time at the Gilmores has been brought up, it was 7pm. There was a whole skit once with Emily pretending that dinner wasn't ready although it was 7, and Lorelai saying that her entire life they have eaten dinner at exactly 7, and Richard freaking out that it is 7 and they are not yet eating. 

Is that lazy writing too? That so many times they pound into our heads that the Gilmores have dinner at 7 on the dot, but then, one day, dinner being ready at 7 is too damn early for cocktails and dinner? 

I think it must be.   Someone bandied around the idea that Emily and Richard really weren't expecting the girls to come (and Emily just came to pick up clothes).   So Emily is just discombobulated and unprepared and confused.

But Lorelai and Rory say they are early (how, if they usually have cocktails and THEN dinner is served and this time they barely have time to take a sip?).

Something screwed up there.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, stan4 said:

Something screwed up there.

Sometimes it was just lazy writing and, in my mind, ASP didn't give fig about the fans so either figured we were too stupid to notice or didn't care if we did.

• Love 1

Same thing at Liz's wedding. Luke asks Lorelai out, and says he'll pick her up at her house. Next episode, she shows up at the dinner all dressed up for the wedding, and no one seems surprised....

Why didn't Lane tell Rory that Jess was hardly ever at school? She hears from Lindsey that Jess "used to" go to their school. Certainly Lane would have noticed never seeing Jess there. It isn't like Stars Hollow High had a population of a large college campus. 

Also, would someone please explain the mattress thing to me from The Lorelai's First Day at Yale? I went to college, moved into a dorm that had a mattress. I assume that mattress stayed there the following year (they were new my freshman year). But in their universe, you can bring your own mattress to college, dispose of the old one (not store, but dispose of) and that leaves the next student who moves into that dorm with nothing? I would assume you would bring home the mattress that your brought to school, since you paid for it and all. You bring the rest of your personal belongings back. But not everyone brought their own mattress. I don't get it. Am I an idiot or is there something I am missing?

• Love 4
1 minute ago, sara416 said:

Also, would someone please explain the mattress thing to me from The Lorelai's First Day at Yale? I went to college, moved into a dorm that had a mattress. I assume that mattress stayed there the following year (they were new my freshman year). But in their universe, you can bring your own mattress to college, dispose of the old one (not store, but dispose of) and that leaves the next student who moves into that dorm with nothing? I would assume you would bring home the mattress that your brought to school, since you paid for it and all. You bring the rest of your personal belongings back. But not everyone brought their own mattress. I don't get it. Am I an idiot or is there something I am missing?

I wondered about that also.  The whole thing was confusing.  first of all, you're right.  The college I went to had storage units on each floor of the dorms, so that you could store the stuff from your room that you didn't want, such as mattresses, curtains, and bed frames.  You then put them back at the end of the year and took your own stuff home with you. 

Second of all, IIRC the girl told Lorelai that she had to have made prior arrangements and that the Yale mattress would have to be disposed of.  If she's disposing of it, why did she have to make prior arrangements?  If she's supposed to get rid of it, why did she need to make up some crazy story about taking the mattress for a drive?  It made no sense.

• Love 3
(edited)
2 hours ago, sara416 said:

Also, would someone please explain the mattress thing to me from The Lorelai's First Day at Yale?

One more brick on the pile:

what was so horrible about that mattress anyway? It had been slept on by a couple of years of students. Yet it was so horrible that Rory couldn’t be expected to use it.

They just got back from six weeks of living in youth hostels, where a different person slept on the mattress every night for who knows how many years? Talk about microbe mattress.

Edited by junienmomo
  • Love 6
(edited)
3 hours ago, Katy M said:

I wondered about that also.  The whole thing was confusing.  first of all, you're right.  The college I went to had storage units on each floor of the dorms, so that you could store the stuff from your room that you didn't want, such as mattresses, curtains, and bed frames.  You then put them back at the end of the year and took your own stuff home with you. 

Second of all, IIRC the girl told Lorelai that she had to have made prior arrangements and that the Yale mattress would have to be disposed of.  If she's disposing of it, why did she have to make prior arrangements?  If she's supposed to get rid of it, why did she need to make up some crazy story about taking the mattress for a drive?  It made no sense.

At my school they didn't have a storage unit per floor, but if you were missing something or wanted to get rid of something, you contacted the Student Life office and they would take care of it. I think that when the girl said you had to make prior arrangements so they could dispose of it, she probably meant so someone from Yale could pick it up, and probably store it until the next year.

I don't know if ASP & DP went to college but they certainly lack knowledge about how things run.

Same thing for when Rory finishes her first year and she talks of finals, and the relief to be done with her first year and everything with Dean. But colleges like Yale have 2 semesters per year. Which means she already went through a batch of finals. I get that you're happy you're done with your first year, and that it marks a milestone, but finishing a semester whether it be the first or the second, is about as important. 

Oh, also, dropping out of a class mid-semester and not getting an F. Or "shopping week" to pick your classes, as if you didn't have to register for the following semester's classes weeks if not months in advance.

Edited by marineg
13 minutes ago, marineg said:

as if you didn't have to register for the following semester's classes weeks if not months in advance.

Actually, at my school, freshman year, we signed up for classes the day before class started  And we had a week to drop/add.   After the first semester, I think we signed up about a month in advance, for spring semester, and before we left for summer for fall semester.

• Love 1
33 minutes ago, Katy M said:

Actually, at my school, freshman year, we signed up for classes the day before class started  And we had a week to drop/add.   After the first semester, I think we signed up about a month in advance, for spring semester, and before we left for summer for fall semester.

Same except for freshman year which was like the rest for me.

But basically Rory's shopping week was like "try as many classes as you want and register later" kind of a thing which I find very weird.

24 minutes ago, marineg said:

Rory's shopping week was like "try as many classes as you want and register later" kind of a thing which I find very weird.

That would only make sense if they were freshman only classes, but they made it sound like it was a campus wide thing.  Anyone know if this is a real thing that Yale does/did?

• Love 1
(edited)
59 minutes ago, scarynikki12 said:

That would only make sense if they were freshman only classes, but they made it sound like it was a campus wide thing.  Anyone know if this is a real thing that Yale does/did?

Even just as a freshman thing, I've never heard of it. But I guess.

Edited by marineg
3 hours ago, scarynikki12 said:

Yes, this was another thing that annoyed me. She chose over 50 classes to go to? That's more than 50 hours in the week, assuming that they are only hour long classes. And that is more than a full time job, which is crazy. Freshman are usually stuck with the early classes and the basic classes, since they tend to register last in line. There is no way she could have access to all these classes. 

• Love 2
(edited)
7 hours ago, sara416 said:

Yes, this was another thing that annoyed me. She chose over 50 classes to go to? That's more than 50 hours in the week, assuming that they are only hour long classes. And that is more than a full time job, which is crazy. Freshman are usually stuck with the early classes and the basic classes, since they tend to register last in line. There is no way she could have access to all these classes. 

Especially since a lot of classes have the same schedule. I know that when I registered for classes, I had to pick a bunch a classes that I wanted ahead of time, make a list, and see which were offered that semester and if the times coincided with other classes. In no way you could take 50 classes without having scheduling issues. Even for a single week.

Especially since Rory showed up 2 hours before classes started.

Edited by marineg
  • Love 1
(edited)

Also, how come Doyle was the Yale Daily News editor in chief for 2 years while Rory was "forced to step down" according to by-laws after one year?

And why didn't she return to the paper? Just because you can't be the boss doesn't mean you can't still work at the place.

Edited by marineg
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, marineg said:

Especially since a lot of classes have the same schedule. I know that when I registered for classes, I had to pick a bunch a classes that I wanted ahead of time, make a list, and see which were offered that semester and if the times coincided with other classes. In no way you could take 50 classes without having scheduling issues. Even for a single week.

Especially since Rory showed up 2 hours before classes started.

I think I'm glad I don't remember these things. If Rory was showing up to 1 hour classes, 2 hours before they started, 50 times in 1 week, that's 150 hours.  That's 30 hours a day. Now, I didn't go to Yale, but I know that's impossible.

• Love 5
56 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I think I'm glad I don't remember these things. If Rory was showing up to 1 hour classes, 2 hours before they started, 50 times in 1 week, that's 150 hours.  That's 30 hours a day. Now, I didn't go to Yale, but I know that's impossible.

I might be exaggerating with 2 hours, but Lorelai shows up and asks how much time they have because she knows Rory always shows up too early for classes and when she does show up to class, she is the first, and soon after Marty comes in. Then a TA puts sheets of papers in front of each seat and leaves with a "ugh, freshmen..." meaning they are too eager or something.

• Love 2

Also, when Chris' father dies and Lorelai asks Rory is she knew he was sick and she says no.....

Earlier Chris showed up at Yale and said this:

CHRIS: I’ve been in Hartford a lot. My dad’s sick. My mom’s with the baby and I’ve had time to think, and maybe that’s not good, but my dad and I, we always had that wall, you know? And, God, for us to be that way, like my dad and me? I – I don’t want you visiting me when I’m old and cranky and you feel like you have to. I want you to visit now and I want you to want to. Look, I’m not going to bother you anymore. This wasn’t fair for me to do this, surprising you like this. It wasn’t fair. Uh –

And then he gave Rory her coffee and she left, shaking her head. Dude, that's not cool. First of all you knew, and second of all, you acted like you didn't care.

• Love 1
21 hours ago, marineg said:

Also, when Chris' father dies and Lorelai asks Rory is she knew he was sick and she says no.....

Earlier Chris showed up at Yale and said this:

CHRIS: I’ve been in Hartford a lot. My dad’s sick. My mom’s with the baby and I’ve had time to think, and maybe that’s not good, but my dad and I, we always had that wall, you know? And, God, for us to be that way, like my dad and me? I – I don’t want you visiting me when I’m old and cranky and you feel like you have to. I want you to visit now and I want you to want to. Look, I’m not going to bother you anymore. This wasn’t fair for me to do this, surprising you like this. It wasn’t fair. Uh –

And then he gave Rory her coffee and she left, shaking her head. Dude, that's not cool. First of all you knew, and second of all, you acted like you didn't care.

Then Rory had to go on afterwards that she felt bad for Chris after Straube died. It was like: "You can't have it both ways." All Rory had to say was: "Then let's not end up that way and stop making things about mom all the time and focus on us." Oh no, Chris still focused on Lorelai, Rory didn't open her mouth and I still hate that scene in the revival when Chris basically admits, he had the perfect excuse not to be a dad to Rory and she finally gets he is a waste of space. Yet, we had to be beaten over the head that Chris cared, when he didn't, so why would Rory. 

• Love 1
(edited)

I think the overall thing about the Chris/Rory relationship that bugs me the most is that they tell us he's a bad dad one minute, and the next they have him show up and be a good dad.

Like in real life, if a 15yo has a dad who is never there for her, would she be SO happy to see him show up out of the blue, in a motorcycle, telling her mom to take off her shirt? Would she include him in all aspects of her life, whether it be the town, her boyfriend, her school...

What they tell us and what they show us is different. They only times Rory is mad at her dad (rightfully) is when he hurts her mom. But the fact that she was raised with no father is not a source of pain for her? She has no reason to be pissed, angry, dysfunctional, or anything?

I thought they would do a bit more when Lorelai meets Dean and tells Sookie that he reminds her of Chris. Like that could have been good to note that Rory always looks for her father in the people she dates (as she always dates handsome intelligent bad boys, and with Logan, a handsome intelligent rich bad boy).

Edited by marineg
  • Love 5
2 minutes ago, marineg said:

I think the overall thing about the Chris/Rory relationship that bugs me the most is that they tell us he's a bad dad one minute, and the next they have him show up and be a good dad.

Like in real life, if a 15yo has a dad who is never there for her, would she be SO happy to see him show up out of the blue, in a motorcycle, telling her mom to take off her shirt? Would she include him in all aspects of her life, whether it be the town, her boyfriend, her school...

What they tell us and what they show us is different. They only times Rory is mad at her dad (rightfully) is when he hurts her mom. But the fact that she was raised with no father is not a source of pain for her? She has no reason to be pissed, angry, dysfunctional, or anything?

I thought they would do a bit more when Lorelai meets Dean and tells Sookie that he reminds her of Chris. Like that could have been good to note that Rory always looks for her father in the people she dates (as she always dates handsome intelligent bad boys, and with Logan, a handsome intelligent rich bad boy).

Oh  no, because AS-P found Rick Sutfliff so hot, she wanted things both ways with him. She was about to make him a regular in season 4, but couldn't since ABC had him on I'm with Her for an entire year. Soon as the show ended, it was: "We GOT CHRIS BACK!" "Let me shove him down everyone's throats, because he is so awesome!" 

• Love 1
(edited)
41 minutes ago, readster said:

Oh  no, because AS-P found Rick Sutfliff so hot, she wanted things both ways with him. She was about to make him a regular in season 4, but couldn't since ABC had him on I'm with Her for an entire year. Soon as the show ended, it was: "We GOT CHRIS BACK!" "Let me shove him down everyone's throats, because he is so awesome!" 

I mean honestly I could get behind that. But there are other ways to do things. And the problem didn't start in Season 5 or 6. It was season 1. It could have been a real source of trouble for Rory, give her character a bit more life than just he nice perfect girl everyone loves. 

ASP wanted a feminist show but the girls only issues and struggles come from their dating relationships. But women, like men, are not only defined by the people they date, but also by their parents, and their friends etc.

Lane had more portrayed issues by being raised by a religious person while she wanted to rock than Rory who had one of her parents completely checked out for most of her life.

Shouldn't she resent her father for not being there when she needed him? Like when she and her mother lived in a shed? Or when she needed money for Chilton?

Edited by marineg
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, marineg said:

It depends on the person.  Some kids with absentee parents just decide, hey if they don't want me I don't them.  But, others want to win that parental approval no matter what.  And, Rory's personality seems like it would be consistent with that.

The thing is they never seemed to decide how much Chris was in her life.  She knew what he looked liked in that first episode. Low bar I know, but some 15 year olds wouldn't have recognized their dad so quickly.  I could swear Lorelai said something in the first season about Rory spending holidays with him. Sherry said that every week no matter what they were doing, he had to drop everything for his call with Rory.  

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, Katy M said:

Sherry said that every week no matter what they were doing, he had to drop everything for his call with Rory.  

But that was after he and Sherry were together and he'd some back into the picture with Rory.  We never heard anything about that prior to doing the White Night thing and riding up on his motorcycle.

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, Katy M said:

It depends on the person.  Some kids with absentee parents just decide, hey if they don't want me I don't them.  But, others want to win that parental approval no matter what.  And, Rory's personality seems like it would be consistent with that.

But it didn't seem like either of those cases though. It felt like she was welcoming him back after not seeing him for a month or something. She didn't behave abnormally. She just behaved like a daughter would with a father she regularly sees but doesn't see enough. 

They like in a freaking shack for years. Let's not forget that. Yes, Lorelai stopped talking to her parents, but she has always been somewhat reasonable. And she said so herself, the door was never closed for Chris to have a relationship with his kid. Yet, for 15 odd years, he didn't want one. He just shows up in that episode asking for one, and Lorelai agrees. yes, Rory seemed to know him, but even if saw him once a year for a couple of days, that is not a relationship.

• Love 3
On 5/26/2018 at 5:11 PM, Katy M said:

could swear Lorelai said something in the first season about Rory spending holidays with him

She did. Maybe Rory’s Birthday Parties? I know it was at a fancy occasion at the Gilmore residence.

17 minutes ago, deaja said:

She did. Maybe Rory’s Birthday Parties? I know it was at a fancy occasion at the Gilmore residence.

What's that?  A challenge to go look up transcripts to verify?  Why, I'd be happy to!

LORELAI: It's OK. He calls like once a week and we see him at Christmas, sometimes Easter. It's all very civil.

MITZI: So are you married now?

LORELAI: No, it's just me and Rory.

MITZI: Your cat?

LORELAI: My kid! She's right over there.

MITZI: Oh. (turns to look) Wow! You can really see Christopher in her, can't you?

LORELAI: Yes, you can.

MITZI: Does that kill you?

LORELAI: You know, what? I see...someone...else...and it's been great.

(Left extra of the conversation because the last line always cracks me up.  Heh.)

And then there was this from CR, Lorelai talking to Sookie -

LORELAI: Yeah. I mean I have not seen this man since last Christmas right. We hear from him maybe once a week - maybe. And then all of a sudden he’s here in my town and Rory’s running around all excited and he’s sleeping on the couch and I’m thinking ‘should I be mad, should I send him to a hotel’ but then he smiles and it’s....Christopher.

• Love 2