Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E05 Blood, Sweat & Tears

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

When Sharpe notices the hospital's blood supply is running dangerously low, Max concocts a plan to get New Amsterdam out of trouble. Reynolds realizes he has a thing or two to learn from Bloom while making peace with his new position.

Original air date 03/30/21

Who didn't see the end to the blood drive plot coming from a mile away?  Though, if the lady wasn't going to donate blood, why did she show up?  Just to be a Karen about *not* wanting to donate?  That was weird.  But of course we all figured out that the chefs and Broadway actors were going to donate...

• Love 6

Yes I wondered why there looked to be several people who apparently came to the hospital to say they weren’t going to donate blood. How would they even know the head of the hospital would be there to complain to and no one was forcing them at any rate.

• Love 4

I thought the writing was better than the last few episodes, the actors seemed more relaxed and true to their character.  Glad to see Iggy addressing his issues directly.

• Love 2

Maybe the "already gave everything" woman was just passing by the hospital and stepped in to see what was happening in the enormous lobby.  Maybe they have events there all the time: airplane shows, indoor soccer, etc.

Max should not have grabbed and hugged his employee, for at least two reasons.

Chimerism is a rare diagnosis, but it is only discovered in unusual circumstances such as this mother's blood type meaning it was impossible for her to be the mother of her child.  There may be many more people with chimerism who never find out they have it.

• Love 3
13 hours ago, ams1001 said:

"We keep a stash of drugs in the ceiling." "Is that legal?" I'm gonna go out on a limb and say "uh...no."

So they have heard of HIPAA.

What does storing drugs in the ceiling have to do with HIPAA?

• Love 3

That "We have given everything" speech just annoyed the ever living hell out of me.  It was so damned tone deaf.  Who stands there in front of a FRONT LINE HEALTH CARE worker who spent the last year on the FRONT LINES and complains about having to stay home homeschooling her kids?  I mean...  we all have our hardships this past year, but come on, if you want to unload on someone about it a person in the health care field is the dead last person you should be bitching to.  Also, shutting up is free.  Why was she even there then.  Ugh.  That scene just .... ugh.

Anyway, I like Max's assistant.  She is so superbly deadpan and sarcastic.  I am really liking the new Kapoor (man I really need to learn her name).  I am not in love with Bloom's good samaratian borderline white-savior storyline, It is obvious it is headed somewhere, I just wish it would get there already.  I will say Janet Montgomery is looking really good this season.  Her face seems a little thinner, but she has spectacular bones and she looks luminous!

I wish I liked Helen and Shin together.  She had way more chemistry with Sendhil Ramamurthy and well, Max.  But the show is playing ship bait with that so I won't even bother to comment on that.  I thought Helen and Shin had a lot of potential when he first showed up, but that seems to have dissipated for me.

• Love 11

My medical decree from the TV College of Medicine paid off again! I knew that was a chimera situation from the get go. I wanted to hug those puppies! 💕

5 hours ago, Driad said:

Maybe the "already gave everything" woman was just passing by the hospital and stepped in to see what was happening in the enormous lobby.  Maybe they have events there all the time: airplane shows, indoor soccer, etc.

Max should not have grabbed and hugged his employee, for at least two reasons.

Chimerism is a rare diagnosis, but it is only discovered in unusual circumstances such as this mother's blood type meaning it was impossible for her to be the mother of her child.  There may be many more people with chimerism who never find out they have it.

Chimerism is common on tv medical dramas.

• LOL 4
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, Driad said:

I understand the concept of chimerism, but if anyone knows what does the DNA of the offspring look like? Also, is there a male version of chimerism?

• Love 1
2 hours ago, preeya said:

I understand the concept of chimerism, but if anyone knows what does the DNA of the offspring look like? Also, is there a male version of chimerism?

Chimera just means you have more than one genotype; it can affect different tissues. Not sure exactly how Sharpe determined the specifics of the situation from one blood test...

Stolen from wikipedia:

"A genetic chimerism or chimera is a single organism composed of cells with more than one distinct genotype. In animals, this means an individual derived from two or more zygotes, which can include possessing blood cells of different blood types, subtle variations in form (phenotype) and, if the zygotes were of differing sexes, then even the possession of both female and male sex organs[1] (this is just one of many different phenomena that may result in intersexuality). Animal chimeras are produced by the merger of multiple fertilized eggs. In plant chimeras, however, the distinct types of tissue may originate from the same zygote, and the difference is often due to mutation during ordinary cell division. Normally, genetic chimerism is not visible on casual inspection; however, it has been detected in the course of proving parentage.[2]

Another way that chimerism can occur in animals is by organ transplantation, giving one individual tissues that developed from a different genome. For example, transplantation of bone marrow often determines the recipient's ensuing blood type."

• Useful 1
3 hours ago, preeya said:

A chimera can be either male or female.  A chimera's child gets DNA from one of the "twins" not both, so the child's DNA is probably normal.  Here's an article with more info and examples.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I appreciate this is a tv show, and that very little which happens at New Amsterdam resembles reality.  Having said that, while I like the character and actress, under no circumstances is a physician just coming off her fellowship named the Interim Head of Neurology at a major urban hospital.  She would drown in the position.    

• Love 6
(edited)

Worst doctor of the episode: I'm on percocet edition.

Dr. Interim Interim Neuro actually did a decent job.

Dr. Reynolds took way too long in the ER with those stitches, but shouldn't Dr. Bloom have told him, "Hey, you need to be quick in the ER. They can always do something about it later." Oh look at Bloom and Reynolds operate on that Aortic Aneurysm, they are working together! It must be a Very Special Episode! Drugs in the ceiling is not safe storage, hopefully no controlled substnces there wait isn't midalzom a controlled substance so yeaaaah bloom is breaking all the laws.

Iggy wasn't *too* bad in this one - he should've more thoroughly vetted his vets group - maybe he should ask his participants in the future to provide proof that they were in the military?

My prediction after Sharpe tells the mom she isn't the mother: I am thinking Sharpe's case is going to be a case of a chimera. OOOH WHAT AWARD DO I WIN FOR GETTING THAT? I rememebr reading about a case in a genealogy facebook group I am in a few months back

wait wait is iggy forcing that guy inpatient oh yeah he did try to kill himself so yeah he has to do that

SO in conlsusiON:
Nobody was egregiously horrible this week

so

nicest doctor fo the week goes to Dr. Interim Neuro Who Really Shouldn't Have That Position But She Is Awesome

(but Bloom gets Worst Doctor again because of ceiling drugs - bringing her to her second Worst Doctor award, stealing it away from Iggy!)

Edited by bros402
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
16 hours ago, DearEvette said:

That "We have given everything" speech just annoyed the ever living hell out of me.  It was so damned tone deaf.  Who stands there in front of a FRONT LINE HEALTH CARE worker who spent the last year on the FRONT LINES and complains about having to stay home homeschooling her kids?

Right? the system is fucked up but emergency homeschooling is not more distressful than spending half of a day trying to save people's lives in a public hospital, while spending months seeing people die all around you

5 hours ago, txhorns79 said:

I appreciate this is a tv show, and that very little which happens at New Amsterdam resembles reality.  Having said that, while I like the character and actress, under no circumstances is a physician just coming off her fellowship named the Interim Head of Neurology at a major urban hospital.  She would drown in the position.

To me the big flaw is that a hospital that big has a Head of Neurology but not a Neurology Department, because I am sure a department has more than one Head and of Fellow, and a bunch of residents/students

The Bloom/unhoused immigrant doctor story is weak. Not sure what the purpose of such a story that seems stuck. What does the woman do all day? Is she working somewhere and just needs a place to live? She had a car but now she only has a backpack?

Not liking Bloom either. Drugs in the ceiling story is ridiculous, medication in hospitals need to be counted and accounted for. That's not how you make sure you have it when you need it. It is fraud

• Love 3

Days later and the Karen who came to a blood drive to complain to healthcare workers and proclaim that she would NOT be donating blood is still bothering me.  I mean, where did she think she was?  Maybe one or two more lines would have helped and made her speech not so absolutely appalling - something like, "oh, I thought this might be a vaccine clinic" or "I thought this was a covid testing site, I've been exposed" (the latter would also give her an actual excuse for not donating blood)...  But no, she and a few others specifically show up there, come in, and then are horrible people.  Ugh.

Has the homeless woman opened up yet about what her medical background is?  What is taking so long for Bloom/Max to offer her a job?  We all know that's where this is headed.  As for where she goes during the day - I think she still has her car, she is an Uber/Lyft driver.

• Love 5
5 hours ago, circumvent said:

The Bloom/unhoused immigrant doctor story is weak. Not sure what the purpose of such a story that seems stuck. What does the woman do all day? Is she working somewhere and just needs a place to live? She had a car but now she only has a backpack?

I'm assuming she's still driving for Uber or whatever during the day? Bloom brought her in the first night because she said it wasn't safe to sleep in the car where it was parked. I don't think anything happened to her car (though why would she leave her backpack at the hospital when she's not there?).

• Love 3
1 hour ago, ams1001 said:

I'm assuming she's still driving for Uber or whatever during the day? Bloom brought her in the first night because she said it wasn't safe to sleep in the car where it was parked. I don't think anything happened to her car (though why would she leave her backpack at the hospital when she's not there?).

I think I didn't pay attention to the Uber thing but yes, my annoyance is at the lazy writing about leaving a backpack in the hospital when it could be in the trunk of the car. Uber drivers can get passengers that have luggage but that would just require her to move the backpack to a corner, or the seat. 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, circumvent said:

I think I didn't pay attention to the Uber thing but yes, my annoyance is at the lazy writing about leaving a backpack in the hospital when it could be in the trunk of the car. Uber drivers can get passengers that have luggage but that would just require her to move the backpack to a corner, or the seat. 

She took it with her every day until this episode, when Bloom told her that she could leave it and it would be safe.  Bloom questioned why she wanted to carry around all the time.

On a separate but related note, Bloom is very rude and elitist towards this woman.  She thinks she's being so noble and such a great person by giving her a place to sleep and grab a shower, but she's rude when she talks about her belongings.  Shouldn't Bloom know better that the backpack (and car) are all this woman has, so of course she's going to be protective of her only worldly possessions?  That's volunteer/charity work 101:  you're not better than anyone just because you own more, and do not belittle their belongings.

• Like 1
  • Love 8
20 hours ago, circumvent said:

To me the big flaw is that a hospital that big has a Head of Neurology but not a Neurology Department, because I am sure a department has more than one Head and of Fellow, and a bunch of residents/students

I don't know how Max justified it, I was halfway through typing a sentence, then I was like "wait no that happened on The Resident, not St. Max Goodwin."

Like I could see Kapoor just having one fellow if it were a private hospital, but this is fictional Bellevue. My managing oncologist is at Memorial Sloan Kettering and runs the Leukemia Department - last time I had an appointment with him, he had one fellow and one resident - he usually has one of each every year, but MSK is not a Bellevue, it is no a public hospital.

• Love 3

"You do know puppy blood won't work." Sharpe's getting snarky!

I think the woman who didn't want to give blood showed up because Max advertized food, puppies, music at the blood drive? I say this because I hated her.  I mean, give or don't give. But, as has been said, don't whine to front line workers in a hospital about how you're too burned out to save a life via donating. Though... Max did ask her. She had been gawking silently before.

Not only do I not know the name of the woman replacing Kapoor, but I also don't know the name of the nurse who works most prominently with Bloom in the ED. His throat moles remind me of the big dipper, though, so in my head, he's Big DIpper.

Do they really wait til they're out of blood before doing an emergency drive? And isn't there a protocol in place for how to drum up donors? That wouldn't require Max to come up with a last minute idea. He should have done one of his famous inspiring PSAs with people whose lives were saved by blood donations, right? But that's a retread of a previous last minute save, so verboten, scriptwise.