Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
LittleIggy

No Demo Reno

The host has to stop with the scrunchies hair on top of her head. This aren’t the 80s, lady, and you aren’t 14! That being said, I liked what she did with both houses. The former green tile kitchen in the 2nd house looked great. They were so lucky to find brick under that rock climbing wall fireplace. My favorite part of the show: Tony! Wow! 😛 His muscles had muscles! Nice eye candy! 😏

• Like 5

It really isn't no demo, but certainly more relatable to homeowners,, than the gut remodels that the other remodeling shows do. The kitchen with the awful green tile certainly was an improvement.   I loved the stone to brick fireplace, except the mantle was better before they changed it.   Tony the contractor, Wow!

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 4

59 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

It really isn't no demo, but the kitchen with the awful green tile certainly was an improvement.   I loved the stone to brick fireplace, except the mantle was better before they changed it.   Tony the contractor, Wow!

I thought they would keep the mantle that was there since the husband made it, and it looked good. And another “Wow!” for Tony! 😁

• Like 2

I didn't like her odd pronouncements about what what was "masculine" design, or that the kitchen was automatically Mom's space.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Grrarrggh said:

I didn't like her odd pronouncements about what what was "masculine" design, or that the kitchen was automatically Mom's space.

They’re in Texas. Just sayin’...😏

• Like 1

The title of the show should be "No Demo Reno*" with the asterisk and a disclaimer, in a cute way. I do appreciate the concept of doing a reno in an existing footprint, AND in trying to reuse things and repurpose things.

I really liked what she did with the 1st house that had a galley kitchen. Reused the granite, changed appliance locations, etc. 

What really bugged me was the host recording herself. I guess that is for social media, or is part of the gimmick? 🤷‍♀️ There is a filming crew RIGHT THERE ... I don't need to see her filming herself.

On a superficial note, her hair is really long. At some point, doesn't the issue of diminishing returns kick in? That is, she could cut off 6 - 12 inches and she would still have long hair, but I think it would look better. If I had hair like that and I worked in construction, it would be up in a ponytail all of the time.

I think she could also use a makeup artist. Her makeup wasn't terrible, but I think it could be much better. (I'm assuming she does it herself.) If I were an HGTV producer, I'd insist on professional makeup.

I'll keep watching.

• Like 2

On 3/30/2021 at 1:25 PM, MoreCoffeePlease said:

I really liked what she did with the 1st house that had a galley kitchen. Reused the granite, changed appliance locations, etc. 

I've never understood demolishing granite countertops if they can be saved. Granite can be reused. My friend used salvaged granite in the bathrooms of her newly built home. It came from a bank building that her grandfather owned and was quite lovely. 

• Like 3

I like that Jen doesn’t smash up cabinets and other items, but instead sells them to fund the reno. I like her designs and color choices. Don’t like her eye makeup. Too much! 
Those three brothers in the first segment were adorbs.  I missed Tony 😛 in the second project. 

• Like 2

Adding my qualified yes to this show. The interiors end up typical HGTV 'all grey', but I did like the concept of demos being only non-structural. The transformation of the green tile kitchen was pretty amazing, and although I would quibble with her description of the Plano house as 'colonial style' (obviously something different than the 'Early American' or 'Williamsburg' descriptions of my long-ago childhood), it was very attractive. I liked that she kept the brick fireplace, and the wood she chose for the flooring at least wasn't the usual grey tones. It's funny that she liked that brick inside, but covered in in white paint outside, and those wood shutters looked strange to me. 

Jen was too hyper-active for my taste and strongly reminded me of Leah from the Embrel ads: Leah

But she did at least seem more authentic than Flip or Flop's Christina, and I liked that she itemized all her expenses (not that I believe the average person could find such amazing deals!).

• Like 1

Wasn't sure at first if I could take Jen as the star--the hyper personality; the cutoff shorts on a grown woman; the extra long hair.  But after the second episode, I am hooked!  Still would ditch the short shorts and (as someone mentioned above) get professional hair and make up for the show.  But I like this concept of conservative reno (no walls brought down). 

I have recommended the show to friends and will keep watching 🙂

• Like 3

I recorded it not expecting much but really enjoyed it. While she is definitely hyper she actually thinks about how people live in their houses. 
The transformation of the green kitchen was amazing. I’m looking forward to more episodes.

• Like 2

Why couldn't the baker mother teach her children to walk into the kitchen to ask for snacks and work out their problems with themselves? They'll probably just turn up the tv louder and scream more to hear it over the sounder of her mixer lol. 

• Laugh 2

Second reno: I would have asked “What did you do with my TV? Put it back!” 😆 Jen even put up light fixtures on the wall above the mantle where the TV had been.

1 hour ago, LittleIggy said:

Second reno: I would have asked “What did you do with my TV? Put it back!” 😆 Jen even put up light fixtures on the wall above the mantle where the TV had been.

I liked the reno, but I don't think she even put a TV back in the "media" room upstairs.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

She pulled the TVs out of both houses last night.  At first I thought it was just for staging but, like you said, she put light fixtures where the TV was in the second house (she also pulled it out of the media room upstairs).  That couple even said how much they loved that TV.  Both rooms looked like they were pretty much the main rooms of the houses too.  Why remove them?  Does she reply to comments on Instagram or just post?  It would be interesting to see if someone could get her to answer why the TVs were removed.

• Like 1

First reno last night: by definition, IMO a mud room needs to include a door to the exterior. Because, well...MUD! While I liked the repurposing of the storage room, boots tracking through my clean laundry room would drive me nuts.

Edited: I was mistaken about the removal of door to garage.

Edited by Cancun

37 minutes ago, Cancun said:

First reno last night: by definition, IMO a mud room needs to include a door to the exterior. Because, well...MUD! While I liked the repurposing of the storage room, boots tracking through my clean laundry room would drive me nuts.

I thought she said she was going to leave the door from the garage that opened into the 'mud' room (formerly a storage room with door access into the garage), but I didn't see the door to the garage in the reveal. The missing TVs bothered me more.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, CruiseDiva said:

I thought she said she was going to leave the door from the garage that opened into the 'mud' room (formerly a storage room with door access into the garage), but I didn't see the door to the garage in the reveal. The missing TVs bothered me more.

Yep, I just rewatched and was wrong. I thought they closed up the door from the garage but it was still there. Agree the missing tv’s were silly.

• Like 2

One other thing I wondered about while watching the most recent show (the old college friend with a third baby on the way) was: do we believe that she's really getting that much money for granite counters, old cabinets and vanities, etc.? I just think those prices may be as unlikely as her very low construction costs.

• Like 2

I like this show as you can see  big changes can be made w/o major demo and that you can do more rooms this way —- and I like how she tries to sell or reuse items and they don’t drag it out— you get 2 different houses per episode 

• Like 4

I think this show is more realistic than most of the others on HGTV. I really like the people and the jobs they do. However. That stupid top knot on her head is so distracting that’s all I can see. And I can’t remember anything she says because of that.

• Laugh 3