Type keyword(s) to search

No Demo Reno - General Discussion

• Start Topic

The host has to stop with the scrunchies hair on top of her head. This aren’t the 80s, lady, and you aren’t 14! That being said, I liked what she did with both houses. The former green tile kitchen in the 2nd house looked great. They were so lucky to find brick under that rock climbing wall fireplace. My favorite part of the show: Tony! Wow! 😛 His muscles had muscles! Nice eye candy! 😏

• Love 5

It really isn't no demo, but certainly more relatable to homeowners,, than the gut remodels that the other remodeling shows do. The kitchen with the awful green tile certainly was an improvement.   I loved the stone to brick fireplace, except the mantle was better before they changed it.   Tony the contractor, Wow!

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 6
59 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

It really isn't no demo, but the kitchen with the awful green tile certainly was an improvement.   I loved the stone to brick fireplace, except the mantle was better before they changed it.   Tony the contractor, Wow!

I thought they would keep the mantle that was there since the husband made it, and it looked good. And another “Wow!” for Tony! 😁

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Grrarrggh said:

I didn't like her odd pronouncements about what what was "masculine" design, or that the kitchen was automatically Mom's space.

They’re in Texas. Just sayin’...😏

• Wink 1
  • Love 1

The title of the show should be "No Demo Reno*" with the asterisk and a disclaimer, in a cute way. I do appreciate the concept of doing a reno in an existing footprint, AND in trying to reuse things and repurpose things.

I really liked what she did with the 1st house that had a galley kitchen. Reused the granite, changed appliance locations, etc. 

What really bugged me was the host recording herself. I guess that is for social media, or is part of the gimmick? 🤷‍♀️ There is a filming crew RIGHT THERE ... I don't need to see her filming herself.

On a superficial note, her hair is really long. At some point, doesn't the issue of diminishing returns kick in? That is, she could cut off 6 - 12 inches and she would still have long hair, but I think it would look better. If I had hair like that and I worked in construction, it would be up in a ponytail all of the time.

I think she could also use a makeup artist. Her makeup wasn't terrible, but I think it could be much better. (I'm assuming she does it herself.) If I were an HGTV producer, I'd insist on professional makeup.

I'll keep watching.

• Love 2
On 3/30/2021 at 1:25 PM, MoreCoffeePlease said:

I really liked what she did with the 1st house that had a galley kitchen. Reused the granite, changed appliance locations, etc. 

I've never understood demolishing granite countertops if they can be saved. Granite can be reused. My friend used salvaged granite in the bathrooms of her newly built home. It came from a bank building that her grandfather owned and was quite lovely. 

• Love 8

I like that Jen doesn’t smash up cabinets and other items, but instead sells them to fund the reno. I like her designs and color choices. Don’t like her eye makeup. Too much! 
Those three brothers in the first segment were adorbs.  I missed Tony 😛 in the second project. 

• Love 3

Adding my qualified yes to this show. The interiors end up typical HGTV 'all grey', but I did like the concept of demos being only non-structural. The transformation of the green tile kitchen was pretty amazing, and although I would quibble with her description of the Plano house as 'colonial style' (obviously something different than the 'Early American' or 'Williamsburg' descriptions of my long-ago childhood), it was very attractive. I liked that she kept the brick fireplace, and the wood she chose for the flooring at least wasn't the usual grey tones. It's funny that she liked that brick inside, but covered in in white paint outside, and those wood shutters looked strange to me. 

Jen was too hyper-active for my taste and strongly reminded me of Leah from the Embrel ads: Leah

But she did at least seem more authentic than Flip or Flop's Christina, and I liked that she itemized all her expenses (not that I believe the average person could find such amazing deals!).

• Love 2

This show stinks. I do not like the dead space or down time in this show while she thinks of her next words. Clearly she knows nothing about construction and no matter what school she goes to will she ever understand it. That bun a top her head..nahh don't think so. This show is very immature and would appeal to 20 year olds trying to renovate a very first inexpensive home or maybe a kids dorm room. You should air this at 2 am not in prime time. You really missed the mark with this one. Not watching again. Please replace with something more suitable for prime time.  Yuck. Thumbs down.

Wasn't sure at first if I could take Jen as the star--the hyper personality; the cutoff shorts on a grown woman; the extra long hair.  But after the second episode, I am hooked!  Still would ditch the short shorts and (as someone mentioned above) get professional hair and make up for the show.  But I like this concept of conservative reno (no walls brought down). 

I have recommended the show to friends and will keep watching 🙂

• Love 8

I recorded it not expecting much but really enjoyed it. While she is definitely hyper she actually thinks about how people live in their houses. 
The transformation of the green kitchen was amazing. I’m looking forward to more episodes.

• Love 4

Why couldn't the baker mother teach her children to walk into the kitchen to ask for snacks and work out their problems with themselves? They'll probably just turn up the tv louder and scream more to hear it over the sounder of her mixer lol. 

• LOL 3
1 hour ago, LittleIggy said:

Second reno: I would have asked “What did you do with my TV? Put it back!” 😆 Jen even put up light fixtures on the wall above the mantle where the TV had been.

I liked the reno, but I don't think she even put a TV back in the "media" room upstairs.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

Second reno: I would have asked “What did you do with my TV? Put it back!” 😆 Jen even put up light fixtures on the wall above the mantle where the TV had been.

She pulled the TVs out of both houses last night.  At first I thought it was just for staging but, like you said, she put light fixtures where the TV was in the second house (she also pulled it out of the media room upstairs).  That couple even said how much they loved that TV.  Both rooms looked like they were pretty much the main rooms of the houses too.  Why remove them?  Does she reply to comments on Instagram or just post?  It would be interesting to see if someone could get her to answer why the TVs were removed.

• Love 4
(edited)

First reno last night: by definition, IMO a mud room needs to include a door to the exterior. Because, well...MUD! While I liked the repurposing of the storage room, boots tracking through my clean laundry room would drive me nuts.

Edited: I was mistaken about the removal of door to garage.

Edited by Cancun
37 minutes ago, Cancun said:

First reno last night: by definition, IMO a mud room needs to include a door to the exterior. Because, well...MUD! While I liked the repurposing of the storage room, boots tracking through my clean laundry room would drive me nuts.

I thought she said she was going to leave the door from the garage that opened into the 'mud' room (formerly a storage room with door access into the garage), but I didn't see the door to the garage in the reveal. The missing TVs bothered me more.

• Love 1
16 minutes ago, CruiseDiva said:

I thought she said she was going to leave the door from the garage that opened into the 'mud' room (formerly a storage room with door access into the garage), but I didn't see the door to the garage in the reveal. The missing TVs bothered me more.

Yep, I just rewatched and was wrong. I thought they closed up the door from the garage but it was still there. Agree the missing tv’s were silly.

• Love 2

One other thing I wondered about while watching the most recent show (the old college friend with a third baby on the way) was: do we believe that she's really getting that much money for granite counters, old cabinets and vanities, etc.? I just think those prices may be as unlikely as her very low construction costs.

• Love 5

I like this show as you can see  big changes can be made w/o major demo and that you can do more rooms this way —- and I like how she tries to sell or reuse items and they don’t drag it out— you get 2 different houses per episode 

• Like 1
  • Love 9

I think this show is more realistic than most of the others on HGTV. I really like the people and the jobs they do. However. That stupid top knot on her head is so distracting that’s all I can see. And I can’t remember anything she says because of that.

• LOL 4

Finally, caught this show. The host is a little annoying but not totally horrible. I like that she works with the space already there. The couple has one kid and are expecting another. They seemed to appreciate the changes.  Of course, painting everything white helps and is a your HGTV staple. I’m going to get my cabinets painted white but not replace the doors. I would love to replace them but it’s just an added cost I can’t afford. The fireplace looked great as did the man/woman cave. All in all, a nice non reno with a sometimes annoying host but better than Christina from the Coast. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

The host takes some getting used to, but her work is nice. I'm much more interested in the actual no-demo renovations than her homelife. However, I can see that the young mom crowd would think she's amazing. It is a good thing she is working for her friends because she does not initially come across as professional with that top knot and the short cut-off shorts. 

• Love 4

On the latest show (first half) I did not think the woman was very impressed with the dining room and putting the desk in the living room.  I did think she liked her kitchen though.

• Love 3
31 minutes ago, RoxiP said:

On the latest show (first half) I did not think the woman was very impressed with the dining room and putting the desk in the living room.  I did think she liked her kitchen though.

The husband liked the change from an arch to a squared off opening with a beam at the top, but it looked a bit odd with the arched opening remaining in place right next to it.

• Love 3

The latest episode the couple were not that excited about the living room or desk.  I do like this show  and her designs.  I wonder why the don't have the black guy with the muscles from the first couple of episode on anymore.

On 4/25/2021 at 6:12 AM, Leilani said:

The latest episode the couple were not that excited about the living room or desk.  I do like this show  and her designs.  I wonder why the don't have the black guy with the muscles from the first couple of episode on anymore.

Yes, the wife was less than enthusiastic about the desk away from where the family lives, in that family room, and the living room was boring.        I liked the kitchen, but don't like glass front cabinet doors.      I didn't like the big mirrors in the dining room, I don't want to watch myself eat, and I don't know if the mirrors were bolted down or secured some way, , but I wouldn't want them where the kids might push them, or to clean the finger prints off, or climb on them.  

I really liked the contractor in the first few episodes, he seemed to know what he was doing (and was adorable too). 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 1

Yeah, what happened to Tony the hottie? I miss those muscles! 
I didn’t like the glass front cabinets either. Can’t hide stuff with those. I didn’t get putting the dad’s desk where the wine storage used to be. Who puts a desk in the living room?

The pool house looked nice, but once again Jen took the tv out!

• Love 3
On 4/29/2021 at 11:36 PM, LittleIggy said:

Yeah, what happened to Tony the hottie? I miss those muscles! 
I didn’t like the glass front cabinets either. Can’t hide stuff with those. I didn’t get putting the dad’s desk where the wine storage used to be. Who puts a desk in the living room?

The pool house looked nice, but once again Jen took the tv out!

She took the TV out of the living room too.  I really didn't like the desk there either.  Who wants to work in the middle of the house where everyone is constantly walking by and causing disruption.

• Love 6

I’m enjoying this show as a change from the usual stuff. I do wish she’s stop with that stupid topknot and the flannel shirt tied around her waist. I don’t understand that at all and it’s distracting from what’s she’s doing and saying.

• Love 3

I read an article on Tony and he is a general contractor and partner with Linear roofing, along with being a trainer and bodybuilder who professionally competes.  Maybe he can't do all the shows.

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, justdoit10 said:

I read an article on Tony and he is a general contractor and partner with Linear roofing, along with being a trainer and bodybuilder who professionally competes.  Maybe he can't do all the shows.  He also just expanded his own company to the East coast .  He still has No Demo listed on his instagram.

• Love 1

I liked it. I won't fault the "no demo" even thought they do some, because so many other shows rip down to the studs. I'll never replicate any of this in my own house, but it's nice to watch something with that touch of "maybe I could..." instead of teardowns that cost as much as the value of the property.

Jenn seems a little too "on" most of the time and any vignette with her husband is just too forced.

• Love 7

I don't give a crap about her husband or seeing her own house (though it does warn me that she's not a real designer considering how her place looks) and PLEASE keep those poor children off television. Let them have some privacy. 

• Love 2
50 minutes ago, Grrarrggh said:

I don't give a crap about her husband or seeing her own house (though it does warn me that she's not a real designer considering how her place looks) and PLEASE keep those poor children off television. Let them have some privacy. 

All the kiddo and family stuff seems to be an offshoot of JoJo and Chimp behavior and I fast forward through it all. I'd really rather have 30 minute shows without all the heartwarming family antics (gag!) that HGTV seems so fond of sharing these days. 🤮

• Love 5

The desk in the family (or was it living room??) was odd.  I have my bills, personal papers etc on my home desk.  Seems a lack of personal privacy let alone not a quiet place to get things done.  If Zoom meetings are part of the work day then the family would need to be out of the room.

And forgot to add, I don't like the cut off shorts or flannel shirt nor the messy hair (get off my lawn!).  It is very unprofessional.

• Love 6
On 4/2/2021 at 3:24 PM, sempervivum said:

Adding my qualified yes to this show. The interiors end up typical HGTV 'all grey', but I did like the concept of demos being only non-structural. The transformation of the green tile kitchen was pretty amazing, and although I would quibble with her description of the Plano house as 'colonial style' (obviously something different than the 'Early American' or 'Williamsburg' descriptions of my long-ago childhood), it was very attractive. I liked that she kept the brick fireplace, and the wood she chose for the flooring at least wasn't the usual grey tones. It's funny that she liked that brick inside, but covered in in white paint outside, and those wood shutters looked strange to me. 

Jen was too hyper-active for my taste and strongly reminded me of Leah from the Embrel ads: Leah

But she did at least seem more authentic than Flip or Flop's Christina, and I liked that she itemized all her expenses (not that I believe the average person could find such amazing deals!).

I do like wainscoating and picture frame molding on walls.  Very inexpensive way to add decor to a room.  I have also seen abstract wood designs on walls that really make them look nice on the cheap.  I might be an exception but I don't care for  gray flooring.  I like more light  natural wood colors.

• Love 3
On 5/5/2021 at 6:20 PM, Grrarrggh said:

They don't even live in the same house as the one on the show, with the brick around the stove top.  They moved last year to a bigger home.

(edited)

Yes, during tonight's new episode, the host is moving.    

The first couple with that odd bathroom!    A toilet, a tub or shower with doors on both sides, and another toilet on the other side of the shower or tub.     I think that a tub shower combo, and a sink and toilet would have fit to make two bathrooms.   Sorry, but a full bath, and half bath doesn't work for me.    I think there should have been some way to add a shower to the half bath.     

The second couple are so nice.    However, they have a coffee bar for visitors, so leave the coffee bar intact, and put wine storage cabinets under the counter top.   Why have to haul the coffee maker out when the relatives drop in?   ONe of these days, that Keurig is going to get dropped.   The bath floor tile is way too bold.  I like the wall tile, but the floor tile clashes with the color.  

The dining room table only seats 4, way too small.    I don't know why the host doesn't show shopping for appliances at the large volume appliance stores.    You can get a super deal at the places that buy appliances in semi loads, and are no frills.   A friend bought her entire kitchen of appliances at one of those places, for less than the cook top would have cost at a big box store.    

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 1

I can't stand all these owners who claim they want something unique, or colourful, or "jazzy" only to end up with white/grey/black what EVERYONE else has and yet are happy about it. 

• Love 6
2 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Yes, during tonight's new episode, the host is moving.    

The first couple with that odd bathroom!    A toilet, a tub or shower with doors on both sides, and another toilet on the other side of the shower or tub.     I think that a tub shower combo, and a sink and toilet would have fit to make two bathrooms.   Sorry, but a full bath, and half bath doesn't work for me.    I think there should have been some way to add a shower to the half bath.     

The second couple are so nice.    However, they have a coffee bar for visitors, so leave the coffee bar intact, and put wine storage cabinets under the counter top.   Why have to haul the coffee maker out when the relatives drop in?   ONe of these days, that Keurig is going to get dropped.   The bath floor tile is way too bold.  I like the wall tile, but the floor tile clashes with the color.  

The dining room table only seats 4, way too small.    I don't know why the host doesn't show shopping for appliances at the large volume appliance stores.    You can get a super deal at the places that buy appliances in semi loads, and are no frills.   A friend bought her entire kitchen of appliances at one of those places, for less than the cook top would have cost at a big box store.    

They said the coffee maker was used infrequently, mainly holidays, IIRC. So I guess having it out of the way worked for them. I loved the bathroom, especially the bold floor tile. I really loved that light fixture over the kitchen island. What a focal point. Much better than the “booby light.” 😆

Jen, quit meeting with your clients dressed in a tank top and Daisy Dukes. You look like a teen going to cheerleading practice. Not professional...well, depends on the profession...😏

• Like 1
  • Love 4
6 minutes ago, Sunnykm said:

I thought the pool house reno was off.  It looked like a fancy living room with the picture frame moulding not a party room for the pool/backyard.

There are people who enjoy a bit more fancy in their pool parties. I've seen pool houses with picture frame moulding. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

A table and 4 chairs a dining room not make. Especially, when said dining room was huge. I guess she was trying to trick the eye(s) and make the room appear larger but the table was so dainty. I don’t even think you extend it. Overall, the renovations turned out okay with a hit or a miss in each one. I also don’t care about their personal life. The husband does seem nice though. At least, it’s only a half hour show.

• Love 1

Because I was listening, not watching for a few, I can attest that her on-camera voice is as appealing as the thing on top of her head. Screech! Ugh.

How does anyone trust her when she shows up looking like a student past her shelf date? Her work can be fine, but is her look the new version of Dallas big hair?

I like that she can improve rooms without demo days. But how does she get clients who are strangers and not on TV?

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Sunnykm said:

I thought the pool house reno was off.  It looked like a fancy living room with the picture frame moulding not a party room for the pool/backyard.

Their house looked huge. Why do they have to host big fancy parties in the pool house? I think it should have been much more casual and water friendly.

• Love 4