Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E11: So Far Away

• Start Topic

When Wade and Shannon have trouble connecting while they are living far apart, he is forced to consider the realistic future of their relationship; Forrest starts suffering from insomnia and doesn't know how to tell Delia that she is the reason.

Original air date: 3/4/21

(edited)

I really liked the chain of pain the group demonstrated in this episode, and how they pass the negativity onto each other. It's a pretty unusual plot but it's so true to life.

About Wade and Shannon... long distance sucks and it's a shame the writers took their story in this direction. Their scene in the diner was adorable, specially Wade's delivery when he said "I just wanna hear about you"...so sweet.  I don't like that they are basically broken up because the chatter on the streets is that there is no way this show will be renewed for another season. And in that case, it really would have been better if Wade and Shannon can just make it work. 😢

Edited by Harvey
  • Love 2

I get that long distance isn't easy, but they seriously just gave up because it was no longer convenient? I've had two long distance relationships (one was only 100 miles so there was a lot of driving involved and the other was 500 miles so that required flying), and both were back in ye olden days before you could text, Facetime, skype, and email for free. The only way for us to communicate at that time was paying for long distance phone calls and sending letters in envelopes (yes, I'm approximately 1000 years old). Sometimes we didn't get to see each other for 4-6 weeks and that SUCKED, but we made it work because our relationship was a priority.

I know they both have kids and jobs and busy lives, but once Wade realized that they wouldn't see each other for more than a week, he just threw in the towel. And he's the one who I thought was being a bit ridiculous when he decided that he alone had to be present when the dog pooped out the corn cob. The adult neighbors volunteered to stay at his house until the dog was okay so he wasted a good four hours just sitting around the house. I get that you love your dog but there was NOTHING that actually required his presence or assistance. He couldn't make the dog poop any faster by staring at her.

• Love 5
(edited)
5 hours ago, Harvey said:

I really liked the chain of pain the group demonstrated in this episode, and how they pass the negativity onto each other. It's a pretty unusual plot but it's so true to life.

About Wade and Shannon... long distance sucks and it's a shame the writers took their story in this direction. Their scene in the diner was adorable, specially the Wade's delivery when he said "I just wanna hear about you"...so sweet.  I don't like that they are basically broken up because the chatter on the streets is that there is no way this show will be renewed for another season. And in that case, it really would have been better if Wade and Shannon can just make it work. 😢

If they’re pretty certain to get cancelled I’d wish they could end it with him coupled rather than a non-ending. Maybe it’ll be another ending like S1 when he and Shannon met-cute. He’ll meet someone new, and we’ll know it’s the start of the next great love of his life.

ETA: CBS put everything behind their Paramount+ paywall. Their current episodes aren’t even available. I missed this episode last night no don’t think I’ll get to see it now. Jerks.

Edited by Kiddvideo
  • Love 2
(edited)
2 hours ago, Kiddvideo said:

ETA: CBS put everything behind their Paramount+ paywall. Their current episodes aren’t even available. I missed this episode last night no don’t think I’ll get to see it now. Jerks.

They put a lot behind their paywall - I noticed that yesterday.  But some current shows, including The Unicorn are still available on-line.  The past few episodes anyway.  I just pulled up last night's episode.

Edited by Roaster
  • Love 2

I feel like Shannon and Wade gave up pretty easily, but I guess the break up was inevitable. I was never that into them as a couple but I found their breakup to be really sad. Very somber and bittersweet, but basically the best way for Wade's first post Jill relationship to end. He realized that he could still fall in love again, even if its not with Shannon. 

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Kiddvideo said:

I was able to watch the show using the computer (with a full operating system like windows).  Apparently If you use mobile you will have to deal with a paywall.  I think it is to encourage you to pay for their service if you use your phone, tablet or tv.  

• Love 1

Realistically, Shannon is going to live in Asheville until her kid finishes high school -- which is many years away.  I think the distance issues got telescoped into one episode so that the series could move on, but that would have been a heck of a commitment to make between people who really hardly knew each other (the almost-moving-in-together nonsense of 2 weeks ago notwithstanding).

Is this show on the chopping block for sure?  I've been enjoying it.  It's the only network show I'm currently watching.

• Love 3
33 minutes ago, Inquisitionist said:

Realistically, Shannon is going to live in Asheville until her kid finishes high school -- which is many years away.  I think the distance issues got telescoped into one episode so that the series could move on, but that would have been a heck of a commitment to make between people who really hardly knew each other (the almost-moving-in-together nonsense of 2 weeks ago notwithstanding).

Is this show on the chopping block for sure?  I've been enjoying it.  It's the only network show I'm currently watching.

I'm one of the view viewers who likes Shannon, so I'm sad that the distance is making their relationship suffer. 

And of course, this show is struggling. Know how I know? Because I love it. I'm the death knell of TV shows (Pitch, The Mayor, The Passage...I could go on). 

• LOL 2
  • Love 3

They didn't really try to prioritize each other. Wade said that when they lived nearby, they could see each other whenever they had a minute. So even when they lived close, he was thinking of it as squeezing in a moment when they could, not really making it a priority. It was easy, it was fun, so he did it. But long distance requires planning and prioritizing. They would have to have set schedules-- Shannon surely does at work, and Wade is self-employed and could have set his life up to have the same days off if he really wanted to. It's definitely more work, but they didn't really seem to try. You map it out like any other commitment: Mondays I go see Shannon, everything else will have to be scheduled another time. But for Wade at least, it turned out Shannon wasn't that important, he only wanted to see her if it fit in around everything else.

It's fine. He doesn't have to want to marry her or make her a priority. But it seemed like she was more ready for it than he was, even though just a couple of episodes ago she was freaking out about worrying he was too serious. So it was a little wobbly in the writing.

• Love 6
(edited)
18 hours ago, Harvey said:

because the chatter on the streets is that there is no way this show will be renewed for another season.

If this is the case I can understand it. Some shows with a specific gimic in the story rarely make it. How long would the Unicorn last as single guy that all women want? Fans tuned into the first season to see that. The problem with a lot of these shows is that if they try to transition away from the initial premise of the show they usually fail.

The second season tried to transition away from single guy that all women want to single guy that dates and finds the one. The Unicorn was becoming Modern Family, no problem, but how long can single guy looking to find a new person in his life sustain itself without the reality that he would eventually fall in love and get married? New show again.

The shows that survive can write that transition and create a new show that everyone loves but unfortunately I don't think this show has good enough writing to make it.

Edited by juno
  • Love 5
5 hours ago, Inquisitionist said:

It's one of CBS's lowest rated shows. CBS is losing "Mom" and because of Covid they might not have a show to replace it, so I wouldn't stick a fork in it just yet, but it really doesn't look good.

On 3/5/2021 at 10:35 PM, ZoqFotPik said:

It's one of CBS's lowest rated shows. CBS is losing "Mom" and because of Covid they might not have a show to replace it, so I wouldn't stick a fork in it just yet, but it really doesn't look good.

Ah, darn. I avoid network sitcoms like the plague, but I really like this one. I like the cast, the characters, and the writing, which I find a notch above most of the network shows. Figures. Welp, back to cable and Netflix.

• Love 3
On 3/5/2021 at 7:33 PM, juno said:

If this is the case I can understand it. Some shows with a specific gimic in the story rarely make it. How long would the Unicorn last as single guy that all women want? Fans tuned into the first season to see that. The problem with a lot of these shows is that if they try to transition away from the initial premise of the show they usually fail.

Cougartown with Courtney Cox pivoted from the initial concept and made a joke out of the title every week in the opening credits.

• Love 2

This was a good episode - I'm annoyed that Wade gave up on Shannon so quickly, but that's probably because Natalie Zea is probably going to be on a show in the fall - La Brea.

I hope this gets renewed - it's the only network comedy I watch since The Good Place ended. Oh wait, I just remembered that Brooklyn Nine-Nine is coming back for its final season in the fall.

The major networks aren't doing a good job at picking up actually decent comedies the last few years, are they?

• Love 2
On 3/12/2021 at 12:47 AM, bros402 said:

I hope this gets renewed - it's the only network comedy I watch since The Good Place ended. Oh wait, I just remembered that Brooklyn Nine-Nine is coming back for its final season in the fall.

Yay for B99!

• Love 2