Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E07:The Circumcision Conversation

• Start Topic

Reanna gives birth during a pandemic. Jenna and Aden fight over the baby shower. Tyra has a little too much fun on her cheerleading trip in Miami, Florida. A debate over circumcision makes Lilly and Lawrence's family dinner awkward.

Original airdate:  1/31/2021

This season is turning out to be not as good as the past three, and I think the reason is that they’re doing so much filming before the babies come, and that is why we are stuck in this loop of talking about showers and “gender reveals.”  Usually there is at least one baby to come along early into the season, and we can see that angle of it.  Fail, show!

Reanna & Taron—It’s so convenient that Covid happened, because now there is an excuse to keep Taron out of the delivery room, because she can only have one person there, according to her mom...except those were the exact same conditions the doctors put on the c-section before Covid, and it was a problem for some reason then, so I’m not quite sure why it’s not a problem now.  Stupid storyline.  

Can Reanna not give birth naturally?  Something pertaining to a surgery? They have only mentioned it about 300 times now.  

Taron is a real prince.  He thinks he has “a right” to be in the hallway looking in at the baby being born during a pandemic when the staff members don’t think it’s safe?  It’s not all about you, Taron.  And I have a feeling that he wouldn’t be so hard pressed to see the baby born if no one was stopping him.  He only claims to want this so much 1.) because it’s driving his story on TV; and 2.) it is the forbidden fruit.  

Ok, so we finally get to a birth, and they don’t show the epidural or anything about the urinary catheter?  What’s the point of a show about birth...if we can’t see most of anything pertaining to the birth?  I hate when they do that.  I’m officially bored.  I wish they had picked another couple who was delivering at a hospital where cameras were allowed for the birth.  

Myrka & Ethan—so many subtitles.  They’re three weeks shy of pregnancy, and only now is she trying to learn how to push?  If it were me, I would have been on that immediately, because I would be so scared.  Ethan seems really checked out.  I can’t believe how much older the two of them look for their age.  If I saw them on the street and I saw his male pattern baldness and her mature features, I would have no problem thinking they were a couple in their thirties.  

Jesus, these people never learn!  Myrka doesn’t “want crap” from her mom about having a baby, the baby that her mom did not have her to have at all??  Then I have a wild idea—don’t call her when you think you’re going into the hospital, especially considering the fact that she couldn’t even be there if she wanted to be!  Fake drama for a story.  Le sigh.  

Jenna & Aden—more subtitles...what is wrong with these people?!?  Oh my God, pasta versus sliders, I’m on the edge of my fucking seat.  What kind of accent does Aden possess?  When I can understand him, he talks like a valley girl.  Ew, I can’t believe these two uglies had sex.  Together.  

Lilly & Lawrence—I’m just going to say it—after seeing the flashback, Lilly looks like she’s been hit with the ugly stick over the past two and a half years.  She’s gross.  A lot of it has to do with her stupidity mixing with her ugly though too.  Lawrence is a real prince too, telling a woman who’s already had a baby that giving birth doesn’t hurt, that it’s mind over matter.  I would put good money on what would happen If his fat ass got a kidney stone—would he go to the doctor and get morphine, or would he just use his mind to control the pain?  

And she doesn’t believe in circumcising her baby?  IMO that’s bananas.  The father should get a say in this.  How come last episode Lilly was so excited about her relationship with Lawrence, and this episode she is sighing and not knowing how they’re going to overcome their parenting differences.  My wild guess?  You’re not.  You’re going to split up and have yet another baby with another guy, and that will be “almost perfect”...until it’s not.  

• Love 6

After last week's episode I wrote, and deleted, a post giving props to Ethan's parents for walking the talk, and actually stepping up when their pleas against abortion were heeded.  But in the "this season on..." at the end of the show, it looks like maybe not so much. 

If you ask me, and they do withdraw support once the baby is born, their bait-and-switch is far worse than Liliana's transparent insistence.  Any hope Myrka had that her mother would come around was just that--hope.  And wishful thinking.  Compared to the outright assurances she got from Ethan's parents.

• Love 4

I didn’t feel any sympathy watching Reanna give birth during the pandemic. I just felt annoyed that she was making it out to be such a big deal. Like you could’ve just had protected sex maybe if you didn’t want to experience a C section? Danica is a beautiful baby and at least talking about her made Reanna smile for once  

Lilly looks much worse at 19 than she did at 16. It’s not just the braces either. Watching the flashback of her crying through contractions was annoying too. Yes they hurt. USE FUCKING PROTECTION. I also hate when people release balloons or other waste for any reason but especially for ridiculous things like gender reveals. That’ll choke a turtle so you can obnoxiously announce that your child has a penis. I’m surprised Lilly has done research on circumcision and is advocating for her son. I agree with her; you don't need to have a penis to make a decision for a child who has one. On a positive note, Lawrence’s mom seems very kind and it’s great that she and Lilly have such a strong relationship. 

Jenna and Aiden both mutter and speak with so little articulation that they require subtitles. I actually feel bad for Jenna, whose parents are so petty and immature that they can’t agree on a casual food to serve at a god damn teenagers baby shower. It’s great to tell your partner to “go fuck yourself” over a minor disagreement. I’m sure these two will make it. 

• Love 9
3 hours ago, LibertarianSlut said:

This season is turning out to be not as good as the past three, and I think the reason is that they’re doing so much filming before the babies come, and that is why we are stuck in this loop of talking about showers and “gender reveals.”  Usually there is at least one baby to come along early into the season, and we can see that angle of it.  Fail, show!

Reanna & Taron—It’s so convenient that Covid happened, because now there is an excuse to keep Taron out of the delivery room, because she can only have one person there, according to her mom...except those were the exact same conditions the doctors put on the c-section before Covid, and it was a problem for some reason then, so I’m not quite sure why it’s not a problem now.  Stupid storyline.  

Can Reanna not give birth naturally?  Something pertaining to a surgery? They have only mentioned it about 300 times now.  

Taron is a real prince.  He thinks he has “a right” to be in the hallway looking in at the baby being born during a pandemic when the staff members don’t think it’s safe?  It’s not all about you, Taron.  And I have a feeling that he wouldn’t be so hard pressed to see the baby born if no one was stopping him.  He only claims to want this so much 1.) because it’s driving his story on TV; and 2.) it is the forbidden fruit.  

Ok, so we finally get to a birth, and they don’t show the epidural or anything about the urinary catheter?  What’s the point of a show about birth...if we can’t see most of anything pertaining to the birth?  I hate when they do that.  I’m officially bored.  I wish they had picked another couple who was delivering at a hospital where cameras were allowed for the birth.  

Myrka & Ethan—so many subtitles.  They’re three weeks shy of pregnancy, and only now is she trying to learn how to push?  If it were me, I would have been on that immediately, because I would be so scared.  Ethan seems really checked out.  I can’t believe how much older the two of them look for their age.  If I saw them on the street and I saw his male pattern baldness and her mature features, I would have no problem thinking they were a couple in their thirties.  

Jesus, these people never learn!  Myrka doesn’t “want crap” from her mom about having a baby, the baby that her mom did not have her to have at all??  Then I have a wild idea—don’t call her when you think you’re going into the hospital, especially considering the fact that she couldn’t even be there if she wanted to be!  Fake drama for a story.  Le sigh.  

Jenna & Aden—more subtitles...what is wrong with these people?!?  Oh my God, pasta versus sliders, I’m on the edge of my fucking seat.  What kind of accent does Aden possess?  When I can understand him, he talks like a valley girl.  Ew, I can’t believe these two uglies had sex.  Together.  

Lilly & Lawrence—I’m just going to say it—after seeing the flashback, Lilly looks like she’s been hit with the ugly stick over the past two and a half years.  She’s gross.  A lot of it has to do with her stupidity mixing with her ugly though too.  Lawrence is a real prince too, telling a woman who’s already had a baby that giving birth doesn’t hurt, that it’s mind over matter.  I would put good money on what would happen If his fat ass got a kidney stone—would he go to the doctor and get morphine, or would he just use his mind to control the pain?  

And she doesn’t believe in circumcising her baby?  IMO that’s bananas.  The father should get a say in this.  How come last episode Lilly was so excited about her relationship with Lawrence, and this episode she is sighing and not knowing how they’re going to overcome their parenting differences.  My wild guess?  You’re not.  You’re going to split up and have yet another baby with another guy, and that will be “almost perfect”...until it’s not.  

Myrka doesn't know it, but her baby is a test of her mother's love for HER.  

The whole shower thing is ridiculous.  Jenna needs to get out more since lots of women have more than one shower.  I had one at work, and 2 family showers.  My father's family is really big, so an aunt on that side threw a shower for that side and my mom's side is smaller, so another aunt threw a shower on that side and invited my friends to that one.  My mom came to both.  It doesn't have to be complicated.  And, more than one shower means more cake.

Lawrence would be begging for pain meds if he had to give birth.  He's an idiot.  About half the babies in the US aren't circumcised.  And, most of the babies around the world aren't.  

• Love 6
5 hours ago, LibertarianSlut said:

He thinks he has “a right” to be in the hallway looking in at the baby being born during a pandemic when the staff members don’t think it’s safe?

"The father has as much right to be at the birth as the mother."  Well, in that case, neither of you gets to be there.  Oh, wait.....

• LOL 2

As far as circumcision goes, I guess I’m a hypocrite, because I get on these show people for having all of this sex and children out of wedlock, yet I think it’s loony not to get the kid circumcised simply because I think it makes his penis look weird and might give him problems getting laid in the future, like when he’s in his twenties, even though I don’t think people should make sexual decisions based purely on cosmetic reasons, so I see where my logic fails. 

I just wouldn’t want my son to have a penis that looks weird to his peers.  If my daughter was born with giant labia or something, and I could get that taken care of with a very routine procedure, I would do it in a heartbeat.  I can’t base it on anything totally logical, yet at the same time I am really glad my husband is circumcised, and I wouldn’t send my boy out into the world a different way.  🤷‍♀️ It’s the most interesting topic to visit the show this year, IMO, that’s for sure.  It doesn’t have me throwing up my hands saying, “why don’t they just do [x]?!?”  It requires thought and discussion.  Show, I see I’ve underestimated you!

• Love 1
4 hours ago, alotmorestupider said:

I’m surprised Lilly has done research on circumcision and is advocating for her son. I agree with her; you don't need to have a penis to make a decision for a child who has one. 

When I was pregnant at the age of 38, I did a lot of research on circumcision at the medical library at our local teaching hospital.

I came to the conclusion it's not medically necessary, and decided if I had a boy I would not have him circumcised.

I had a girl (which was exactly what I'd been hoping for!)

37 minutes ago, LibertarianSlut said:

As far as circumcision goes, I guess I’m a hypocrite, because I get on these show people for having all of this sex and children out of wedlock, yet I think it’s loony not to get the kid circumcised simply because I think it makes his penis look weird and might give him problems getting laid in the future, like when he’s in his twenties, even though I don’t think people should make sexual decisions based purely on cosmetic reasons, so I see where my logic fails. 

My ex-husband wasn't circumcised, and actually circumcision rates are decreasing in the U.S.. 

The WHO estimates 30% of the worldwide male population has been circumcised, with ⅔ of those being Muslim.

A boy born in the U.S. today will most certainly meet boys who have not been circumcised, especially those of Hispanic origin. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prevalence_of_circumcision

There's also the theory men who haven't been circumcised have a heightened sexual response over men who have, because the head of the penis hasn't become desensitized by the constant rubbing against fabric. 

Edited by TwirlyGirly
  • Useful 2
  • Love 5

I don't have much of an opinion on circumcision other than the irony of Lawrence's mentioning that only someone with a penis should make that decision. Same goes for telling someone how pushing out a baby feels if you do not have a uterus or vagina. I was waiting for someone to tell Lawrence that the child's problems with being uncircumcised will be all mental. 

I understand not wanting to cause a child pain, but the only way I can relate to this is to think of my own life ... I was born with a deformed ear. My parents could have had it fixed when I was tiny, but they chose not to. They said they didn't want me to go through the pain and also didn't want to send the message that something was wrong with me. Consequently, I went through childhood and early adulthood with the deformed ear until I had the guts to get it fixed in my early 20s. At that point I felt the pain of recovery. I still remember it. And I'd already gone through the embarrassment. I would have much rather my parents taken care of it when I was little. But I guess this is the same argument people use for piercing a baby's ears (they won't remember the pain), but I don't necessarily agree with doing that. So, again, all of our mileage will vary and is based on different experiences. 

Edited by abracadabra
  • Love 7

I have 2 boys. There were a number of reasons we made the decision to circumcise. But one of the main reasons was  because not long before the first son was born  my husband had a friend who had some issues and had to be circumcised as an adult. Which is apparently not uncommon and is much more complicated and painful than doing on a newborn. My oldest is 28 now and watching this last night was the first time I’d thought about it in years. I guess there are pros and cons to doing it or not.

About this shower business, I thought it was considered inappropriate and tacky for a mother to give  a shower for her own daughter. At least it used to be. But hey, what do I know? I’m old! I remember when it was considered tacky and inappropriate to have a baby without being married, much less while you were still in high school!🙄

• Love 5
12 hours ago, abracadabra said:

I understand not wanting to cause a child pain,

I'm hoping the show edited it to make it look like that was her only reason, because I immediately thought, "So you won't vaccinate him either, because he's gonna cry when they give him the shot?" 

I'm not sure I'd trust Lilly or Lawrence to make a big decision like this, but here we are.

19 hours ago, readheaded said:

Myrka doesn't know it, but her baby is a test of her mother's love for HER.  

Well, again with causing your child pain.  Sometimes you have to do things that cause pain but are the best thing for the child (and I'm not talking about spanking, but am talking about discipline).  Look where Jenna's dad saying he gives in all the time because he doesn't want Jenna to be unhappy has gotten them.

In Myrka's case, it could be like enabling an addict, and the parents finally saying "No más," which is always interpreted by the addict as meaning the parents don't love them but that's rarely the case.  Liliana comes off as cold, but I wouldn't be a bit surprised if it's killing her inside, and that's her way to cope. 

Maybe the real test of love was Lilliana's willingness to go against the church and tell her daughter to get an abortion.  It's probably a lot easier to just cave in and raise the grandbaby, sighing "Oh well" for the hopes she had for her daughter.

19 hours ago, readheaded said:

The whole shower thing is ridiculous.  Jenna needs to get out more since lots of women have more than one shower

In my perfect world, Jenna would have zero reason to know the first thing about the proper etiquette for baby showers.

But I'm not sure it's ignorance that's guiding her behavior.  I think it's manipulation, but in this case I can't say I blame her because it looks like both her parents are determined to put their hatred of each other ahead of her. 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

I'm hoping the show edited it to make it look like that was her only reason, because I immediately thought, "So you won't vaccinate him either, because he's gonna cry when they give him the shot?"

Lilly spoke about circumcision being genital mutilation, and I was impressed by the fact that she had appeared to research the topic and have an intelligent, not knee-jerk, thought about it. 

• Love 5

Did I miss something, or did they re-cut the episode to exclude Tyra's cheer trip to Miami? I was looking forward to that part. Oh well.

On 2/1/2021 at 1:44 PM, alotmorestupider said:

It’s great to tell your partner to “go fuck yourself” over a minor disagreement.

Also, when you think he's wrong on a question of family dynamics, yell, "You're so DUMB!" I'm the first person in line to say that Aden is dumb, primarily when it comes to the selection of girlfriends, but these baby shower strategy sessions just aren't a smart/stupid kind of game. Jenna reminded me of Jade from Teen Mom, who would respond to her mother's irresponsible addict behavior with, "You're so RUDE!" I mean, I guess she was rude, just like Aden is dumb, but that is not germane to this conversation. These girls just lack the vocabulary to describe what's going on.

I'm mostly a covid-prevention Nazi but I'm making an exception for Taron. Granted, teens are never great at looking at the big picture when they don't get what they want. But I wouldn't want any new dad to be rational about being close to his baby. He SHOULD be frantic/pissed rather than calmly considering the public health ramifications. I think it speaks well for his character that he wanted so badly to be present. 

I can't wait for the Myrka shit to hit the Michelle fan next week. Bring it on!

• Love 4

I’m a terrible person, so let’s just get that out of the way up front.

Hearing that Ethan’s parents are starting to realize just how much they’ve been sacrificing for Ethan (who seems totally disconnected) and Myrka (who loves the drama and is exhausting) turned my frown upside down. Are they suddenly coming to the conclusion that they shouldn’t have painted a picture of unicorns, rainbows and puppies running on the beach in slow motion? At this late date, they woke up and decided to renege on the lofty promises that they made (I believe partly to shame Liliana) thus pissing off Myrka (and I’d include Ethan except he doesn’t really seem to give a shit). How predictable. Oops, looks like the teen parents will need a Plan B, something that never crossed their minds, because Ethan’s parents said they’d take care of them forever and always.

I’m going to go out on a limb and say that the stress of having the lovebirds around (with no value added) is causing not only financial problems, but marital ones as well. They have their own baby to take care of (and a middle kid?). Even under the best of circumstances, that’s exhausting. Think Father Ethan is happy about taking on a second job? I think it was Mike Tyson who famously said, “Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face,”

Anyone want to join me in wiping that obnoxious pug look off of Reanna’s face? Line forms to the left.

Tyra, Whatshisname wants to move on to greener pastures. He resents you and wants to be a 19yo boy again. Let’s face it, you’ve kept him around because you needed the daycare. Your college plan was doomed to fail. This is what happens when you have unprotected sex and it’s not like it is news to you. Every female in your family has been a teen mother. Maybe THAT’S why none of them got a college degree? 

If Jenna and Aden wasn’t a match made in heaven, then I don’t know what is. He sees his life flashing in front of his eyes and has a severe case of buyer’s remorse.

Box of rocks > Lilly and Lawrence. And Lilly’s mother.

• LOL 4
  • Love 4

Does anyone else feel like Tara (or is it Tyra?) needs to stop thinking that going to college is more exhausting and stressful than working and taking care of a baby, as Alex does? They are both a lot of work and tiring. At college you have more chance for catching some naps, though, which you don't if the baby is stressing or sick or is a non-sleeper. I feel bad that they show her off having a great time in Florida but when does Alex get a break? I think it's great that she's getting her college degree but it seems the situational compromise might have been nearby college or remote college. Even most top-tier colleges have online programs now. The only thing I can think of that might tip the scales towards a residential program is if maybe she's getting a cheerleading scholarship by being on campus.

Edited by JeanJean
  • Love 3
11 hours ago, RoxiP said:

Doesn’t Alex live with his mother and grandmother?  I would suspect that he gets a few breaks from time to time. 

He does, but I guess I feel Tyra doesn't have the same 24/7 responsibility that Alex does. His grandmother's probably of an age when it's harder to physically take care of everything a baby and young child needs. 

• Love 1
35 minutes ago, JeanJean said:

He does, but I guess I feel Tyra doesn't have the same 24/7 responsibility that Alex does. His grandmother's probably of an age when it's harder to physically take care of everything a baby and young child needs. 

I guess that's true.  But with all of these generation of teen parents, his grandmother's age is probably somewhere between 55 and 60!

• Love 3
On 2/2/2021 at 3:34 PM, SDVegas said:

Lilly spoke about circumcision being genital mutilation, and I was impressed by the fact that she had appeared to research the topic and have an intelligent, not knee-jerk, thought about it. 

Agree, but then she ruins it by threatening to kill anyone who tries to get the baby circumcised. Kind of surprised father and son matching is why we decided to circumcise our sons.

On 2/6/2021 at 11:58 AM, Marisagf said:

I guess that's true.  But with all of these generation of teen parents, his grandmother's age is probably somewhere between 55 and 60!

Alex’s grandmother seems like she’s an old 60 and has her own health problems and limitations. 

• Love 5

Did anyone else notice when Tyra reached for Layla and Layla reached for grandma? When you see your kid one day a month, she is going to want the person who is actually taking care of her instead. 

Ethan's parents are going to do exactly what I knew they would do all along. The fantasy of this baby is about become a harsh reality. When they were talking and there was another baby crying in the background, I knew this was going to go bad. Lilliana is harsh, but she's not wrong.

• Love 6
On 2/1/2021 at 6:47 PM, LibertarianSlut said:

I just wouldn’t want my son to have a penis that looks weird to his peers.  If my daughter was born with giant labia or something, and I could get that taken care of with a very routine procedure, I would do it in a heartbeat.  I can’t base it on anything totally logical, yet at the same time I am really glad my husband is circumcised, and I wouldn’t send my boy out into the world a different way.  🤷‍♀️ It’s the most interesting topic to visit the show this year, IMO, that’s for sure.  It doesn’t have me throwing up my hands saying, “why don’t they just do [x]?!?”  It requires thought and discussion.  Show, I see I’ve underestimated you!

I get the argument against circumcision, buuuuut....I am a social worker and used to work with foster kids. There was an uncircumcised boy who developed such persistent and nasty penile infections that he had to be cicrumcised at age 11! Here's the thing: When a boy is little, his Mom (or Dad) can thoroughly clean the penis for him. But at a certain age, that becomes inappropriate and he needs to be doing it himself. I don't see most kids (male or female) at that age washing their HANDS thoroughly enough, so I can just about imagine how well a prepubescent boy is cleaning his junk. 

Edited by Liamsmom617
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Liamsmom617 said:

I get the argument against circumcision, buuuuut....I am a social worker and used to work with foster kids. There was an uncircumcised boy who developed such persistent and nasty penile infections that he had to be cicrumcised at age 11! Here's the thing: When a boy is little, his Mom (or Dad) can thoroughly clean the penis for him. But at a certain age, that becomes inappropriate and he needs to be doing it himself. I don't see most kids (male or female) at that age washing their HANDS thoroughly enough, so I can just about imagine how well a prepubescent boy is cleaning his junk. 

Thank you!  I am so glad that you made the medical argument in favor of circumcision.  I had a feeling there were health benefits to it, but I was too lazy to look them up, I’ll admit it.  I stand by my social/cultural reasons for being in favor of it.  I wrote my earlier post in a wishy-washy way, but I actually am firmly in favor of circumcision.  

I think that it is cleaner, or it seems cleaner, and I wouldn’t want my son perceived as unclean.  Aside from the scientific evidence that was pointed out above, there is just an ick factor there that I am happy to talk about, regardless of whether I’m taking the stance that is in vogue with the elite at the moment.  It is like, you know how when you go to the bathroom at the mall or at a restaurant, you always wipe the seat down with toilet paper before you touch your body to it, and if there is, OMG, I’m gagging, urine on the toilet seat, you squat over it and don’t touch your body to it, even though we are probably coming into contact with other people’s urine all the time anyway, and there is nothing particularly sanitizing about a swipe of toilet paper over a seat?  It’s just a visceral thing we do in an effort to mentally trick ourselves into thinking we’re not coming into contact with other people’s germs.  It makes me feel better, anyway.  

The same thing is true with an uncircumcised penis—it’s not widely accepted in most of the US.  There is a difference between what people will say to save face in public to appear “open-minded” and how they actually feel about their partner’s junk, there just is, I don’t believe otherwise.  People generally don’t perceive uncircumcised penises well.  I would want my kid to be perceived by the world as best as I possibly could.  Giant ears don’t pose a significant health risk, but people think they’re weird, and if they’re big enough, with skin flying and flopping all over the place, it’s going to put people off, and even if they don’t know why, they are going to begin to avoid that person and over the course of their life, they could be denied opportunities.  People with overly sweaty hands are denied jobs.  That’s just how it is.  So....I’mma want my kid to have nice dry hands, and if that means getting him medical treatment for his sweat glands if the situation calls for it, cool.  I’m completely unapologetic about wanting my (currently nonexistent) child to get ahead in life as long as I’m not harming anyone else in the process.  

I think Lilly is saying she will not circumcise her son because she is vacant and has nothing to say, yet her platform is on a reality show, so she is throwing whatever she can against the wall to see what sticks.  I don’t think she has any idea about the implications it could have on a boy who is later going to be a man.  I think she is a very selfish and stupid person.  I noticed that her three year old daughter still wears diapers.  That’s setting her back!  A lot of preschools don’t want a kid who has to be changed.  Very few moms are going to change her diaper on play dates.  But why do something mind-numbingly boring like teaching potty training when she can sit around with Lawrence, mining Instagram for the latest trends, what the Kardashians are doing, what Gwyneth Paltrow is doing, and then regurgitating it to the reality TV audience and thinking she is novel?  Let’s remember how they met after all—he slid into her DM’s and then got her pregnant, and—as if by wizardry—she’s back on TV.  They are full-on social media whores and slaves.  

The difference between Lilly on the one hand and Kylie Kardashian and Angelina Jolie on the other though?  The latter have a zillion dollars, and they can afford for their kids to be “different” and alternative, because they are living in this uber-chic sophisticated universe between Bel-Air, Park Avenue and Paris, where “normal” is sneered at, and if you name your kid “Eric” he will be teased, but if you name him “Apple” it’s cool.  Lilly is from Riverhead, New York.  I have had the displeasure of practicing law in Riverhead, shopping at their outlets (actually, the outlets have some cute stuff), and playing at their water park a few times in the past, and it is an outpost at the eastern end of Long Island, where there are a lot of farms, a downtown with a Subway restaurant, and not a whole lot else.   They’re way too far east to have cultural ties to NYC, and not far east enough that they are in the Hamptons where things operate in conjunction with the cultural elite standard.  In East Hampton, where the artists live, about an hour to the east of Lilly’s town, an uncircumcised penis would be appreciated, but that’s not where they’re at.  They live in the Russellville, KY (Tyra’s hometown) of Long Island.

And since Lilly and Lawrence are so limited and dysfunctional, and her mom and her mom’s boyfriend aka The Haircut (what middle aged man has a center part and bangs?!? 😨) aren’t much better, my spidey sense tells me that Lilly’s spawn, LJ, ain’t going to become sexually active at Columbia University, where the female students are going to marvel at his uncircumcised penis and think it’s cool and edgy and different. He is, at best, going to attend the Riverhead campus of Suffolk County Community College, where the girls are looking for a classically handsome dude who goes tanning after he goes to the gym, wears designer sweatsuits, expensive cologne, drives a late-model SVU, who has some money in his pocket and a fake ID so that they can go out to bars, and...a freaking circumcised penis!  Trust me.  These girls don’t even want a guy who doesn’t manscape, never mind a guy who is walking around with enough organic material to fashion a hand puppet.  Good, bad, sad, surprising, or all of the above—that’s what’s up.  

And it’s not like he’s not going to get laid without it being circumcised, thus avoiding the single parent statistic his parents are in—he’s just going to face more rejection, and he’ll wind up with a girl like...Lilly.  Awesome.  

Lilly with this circumcision thing reminds me so much of Cheyenne on Teen Mom OG, who couldn’t just take her daughter to get her ears passed like a normal little girl, when two adults do it at the same time, so that the kid only has to feel the pain once.  No, Cheyenne had to take Ryder to the tattoo shop where Beyoncé got Blue Ivy’s ears pierced, where they do them one at a time with a needle.  Ooh, how edgy! Too bad the kid got one ear pierced, got scared, started crying, and they had to leave with the kid having one ear pierced, one ear unpierced like a boy.  Brilliant, Cheyenne.  You got to emulate Beyoncé on national TV, and the only downside is that your kid is now stigmatized.  Great parenting right there.  Great prioritizing.  I think Lilly with the circumcision is the exact same thing, only with significantly higher stakes for the innocent party, the child.  

• Love 6
On 4/28/2021 at 2:15 PM, Liamsmom617 said:

I have 3 uncut young adult sons and this just isn’t an issue. The intact penis doesn’t require any more special care than any other body part.  The very sad experience of the child in foster care is an anomaly.  No one would remove a girl’s labia because she had issues keeping her vagina clean and got infections. 

• Love 4

My hubby is a nurse and has cared for more than one young man who was unlucky enough to have to be circumcised as a teen or young adult.  Two were because of raging infections. Once it was because of an STD.  A couple of times the men have developed a condition where they could no longer retract the foreskin.  These are not the norm but adult circumcision is also not extremely rare.  The procedure as a child is a religious, cultural, or medical choice made for the boy by his parents.  Like many of our choices they are stuck with the future outcomes.  I’m not sure there is a right or wrong answer.  We are Jewish.  Our boys had a bris.  They are grown men now and neither is upset about the outcome.  And, yes, I’ve asked.   

• Love 1