Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E01: The Next Pandemic

• Start Topic

Welcome back, John! If only you had some happier news to greet you upon your return. 

Lord, that clip of Cruz talking about what he said to Trump's lawyers. Absolutely infuriating. There is so much I could say about him. So, so, SO much. But I'll spare the mods. 

I love all these people trying to put the blame for the riot on the left. Yeah, because the left are the ones who went around carrying Trump flags, and Confederate flags, and chanting on behalf of Trump. They were happy to cheer the rioters on and call them patriots on the day itself, but now that the horrors of that day are being spotlighted and some of the people involved are getting in trouble, they're scurrying around desperately trying to avoid responsibility. 

The electoral college legislation in Arizona is insane, too. And all the censure of Republicans who spoke out against Trump-hese are the same people going around complaining about "cancel culture". Okay. 

I really hope the Democrats can get that voting rights legislation passed somehow. I know this show's discussed the filibuster before, and I kind of get the reservations about getting rid of it altogether, because I can definitely see where that'd come back to bite the Democrats if they go back to being a minority party in the future. But yeah, something really does need to change so that they can get this stuff passed much more easily. 

As for the main story, I like that solution in Thailand. That's a great idea. I agree better regulation is the way to go in resolving a lot of these issues, instead of shutting everything down completely. And the regulations should be handled on every level-international, national, local, etc. and, as the show noted, adjusted accordingly to fit each specific area. 

I do feel there's no real justifiable reason for your average person to own a wild animal as a pet, though. Aside from the health risks, they're wild animals for a reason. Let them be to roam free as intended. I remember the Animal Planet channel had a show a number of years back called "Fatal Attractions" that explored stories of people who owned wild animals. It was fascinating and disturbing (there's a reason the show had the word "fatal" in the title) all at the same time. 

Good to have the show back. Look forward to seeing what this new season will bring. 

• Love 13

I'm a bit disappointed in the main story after what we've seen for the past three months. I know we've been beaten over the head with Trump's big lie, the Capitol insurrection, and impeachment, but I really wanted more of John's take on everything. I can't get worked up about future pandemics when we are still in the middle of the current one.

• Love 10

Good to have John back. Even with a change in leadership (as well as virus-busting taking the place of wall-building in the credits), the world is still a scary place. Apparently, a new pandemic is always around the corner, and trying to maintain the balance between nature and development. Luckily for us, we have a great man to inform us in John Oliver: Harasser of Adam Driver, Collector of Rat Erotica.

Ted Cruz needs to be punched. Hard. And often.

I should show this episode to my mother. She jokes about getting a capybara, but I should probably dissuade her. In nature, they look chill AF. I didn't think they could be virus incubators, much like any other animal.

• Love 9
5 hours ago, Annber03 said:

Lord, that clip of Cruz talking about what he said to Trump's lawyers. Absolutely infuriating. There is so much I could say about him. So, so, SO much. But I'll spare the mods. 

It's like a scene in a movie where the villain tells the hero about their evil plan.

• LOL 6
  • Love 3

This was great timing for the pandemic topic. Vaccines are still getting out to the highest priority people. In a few weeks they'll be getting into more widespread tiers of the population and there will be a sort of giddiness that we’re coming to the end. Remind us while we’re still in the funk of how bad this is!

• Love 3

I really need to get my affairs in order because the way things are, I feel ready to go into that Good Night. It's depressing out there.

Still, it's good to have John back. 

I wonder if any Republicans, like Romney, would go along with getting rid of the filibuster.

• Love 5

It's too bad that HBO just uploaded the part about the pandemic and not the part about the Impeachment and the Filibuster. What was said there was really, really important for the future of the country too, even if it is at least partly a dead horse….but John has such a talent to lay out the bare bones, it is so worth listening to his take.

• Love 4

that was depressing but nice to have John back. I hope the next episode has more moments that have me laughing as opposed to dreading the next pandemic

the pig kissing part reminded me of watching a fishing show with my husband. There was a PSA as part of the commercial about why you should not kiss fish (for the same reasons)  Cut back to the host of the show catching a fish and kissing it. We were like "someone needs to tell him!!"

• LOL 2
  • Love 4

Welcome back show.  As other have said, I missed you too 🙂 Hopefully this will be a positive trend of covering topics happening in the world that don't involve the former president.  

While I enjoyed the discussion, honestly I felt a bit underwhelmed by last night's episode because there is so much to be covered by a discussion on a Pandemic and for me certain areas were simply not addressed or was simply glossed over by the show.  For instance, my belief is that over population on this planet is a huge threat and a contributing factor for the next pandemic.  I don't see how this planet can continue with the current population growth along with the over consumption of natural resources without seeing a rise in more pandemics with equally devastating effects.  This was barely addressed by the show last night other than the talking about disappearing green spaces and explosion in the population of rodents that can pass along the virus.  

What also wasn't covered last night is the potential economic devastation from this current pandemic and how it will be felt for long time. We currently have gov'ts around the world printing masses amount of debt to help keep economies moving and not collapsing.  But we are still looking at potentially a massive economic collapse when we come out of it from all this debt and jobs lost.  If it doesn't t happen this time, what happens the next time we face another pandemic that shuts down the planet? Sorry to be an alarmist on this but I think it needs to be discussed. 

I like that the show highlighted that yes we should be extremely concerned with wet markets, but we should also be looking at our own backyards and how they too might contribute to the next pandemic.  

Edited by Thomas Crown
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Thomas Crown said:

For instance, my belief is that over population on this planet is a huge threat and a contributing factor for the next pandemic.  I don't see how this planet can continue with the current population growth along with the over consumption of natural resources without seeing a rise in more pandemics with equally devastating effects.

Possible Solution:

image.thumb.png.25c8b806f967e8c67bf49859a0d6bc2b.png

• Love 4
11 hours ago, swanpride said:

It's too bad that HBO just uploaded the part about the pandemic and not the part about the Impeachment and the Filibuster. What was said there was really, really important for the future of the country too, even if it is at least partly a dead horse….but John has such a talent to lay out the bare bones, it is so worth listening to his take.

I don’t have HBO and am reliant on YouTube. I’m in Arizona, so googled around as I really wanted his details on the filibuster for when I call Senator Sinema’s office. If anyone else is missing it: 

https://www.thewrap.com/john-oliver-democrats-dont-seem-remotely-prepared-to-fight-republican-threats-video/

(in case it gets taken down, both The Wrap and Deadline did a good written play-by-play of the piece, too.)

Edited by ahisma
clarification
  • Useful 4

I'm not familiar with any stories of that sort myself, but it wouldn't surprise me to know there's some out there who've done that :p. I really don't know why one would do that, but...people are weird, I guess. 

• Love 2