Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E01: Cake

• Start Topic

The Bake Off is back for another year, welcoming the tent's youngest-ever baker and the oldest. All 12 bakers will be challenged on their baking skills from every angle by judges Mary Berry and Paul Hollywood, all the while helped - or hindered - by Mel Giedroyc and Sue Perkins. But their first hurdle is cake.

As they enter the tent for the very first time, their first Signature Challenge is to make a swiss roll. But with such a seemingly simple challenge comes a risk - who will have the tightest roll? Whose roll will split? Should the bakers go for the classic or push the boat out to impress?

Recovering from their first challenge, they face their first ever Technical Challenge. It's cake week... it's a Mary recipe... it's a classic cherry cake. But will the bakers be able to suspend the cherries and ice their cakes to the exacting standard of Ms Berry?

As the next day dawns so does the Showstopper. The bakers must make classic British cakes... in perfect miniature... all 36 of them...

Twelve bakers compete. Airing 8pm Wednesday August 6, 2014 on BBC One. Source: GBBO Facebook.

That's one less contestant than last year.

Come on guys, let's make this a popular board so I can ask Dave to promote us on the forums home page. Hehe.

• Love 3

Good start, not a soggy bottom in sight (well, it WAS cake week), I loved the look of the Jaffa orange cakes, scrummy! I called the star baker correctly but I thought it would be mr zany shirt (Jordan?) that would go home, he dodged a bullet there. However, Clare also had disasters so I wasn't entirely surprised. Biscuit week next week!

SquirrelWatch: 0 squirrels showcased this week. :p

• Love 2

Yay, I am so glad this show is back! I have to be honest, this is my least favorite version of the British, Irish, and Australian bake off shows because Paul Hollywood is a bit too Gordon Ramsey with his dramatic staring and pissy comments, but what I love is that the bakers have to do all three challenges in each episode. I still hate that the Irish version only has the bakers do two challenges per episode.

So Welford Park is a new location, right?

Swiss rolls, mmmmm.

I hate when the technical challenge directions are vague or incomplete. I know that they want to test the bakers' instincts and knowledge, but giving directions like "prepare the cherries" or leaving out how long to bake something is stupid in my opinion.

Whenever the bakers have to make a lot more things than the judges will eat, I like to imagine the bakers and the crew sitting around afterward having a feast. But 36 mini cakes x 12 bakers is an obscene amount of cakes!

I loved all the precision the bakers were using. The guillotine and the pipettes warmed my nerdy little heart. Like Martha, I like using an ice cream scoop when baking because it lets you get the same amount each time (and it's easier to get the batter out).

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 4

Chalk me up as another who is happy to see this show return. As a Brit living abroad, the GBBO induces a peculiarly pleasant strand of homesickness.

There seems to be a nice group of bakers this year, with some of them looking very polished indeed. Nancy means business, doesn't she? Her mini-guillotine was magnificent and she won me over as soon as she decided to blitz the failed nuts and purport that it was her plan all along.

Straight-talking Norman seems like a strong contender, as does the builder and the youngest-ever-contestant whose names presently escape me. I can't see the bearded Wilding or the overly eccentric guy sticking around for much longer. I wasn't entirely sorry to see Claire go, she just didn't seem to be very good.

• Love 2

Ahh, it's so good to be home at GBBO.

I notice that every year the hosts and the judges get good naturedly snarky with each other. Mary to the Sue and Mel: "This is why you are sitting at that end of the table." Sue & Mel are by far the best hosts, probably some of the best hosts on TV food shows fullstop. They make everything so fun and entertaining. It's also nice watching two people who are best friends play off each other like that.

Early days means there is a clear division the good and the bad. I like the look of Norman the Scot, Nancy, Martha the young one, and the Builder. Iain the wildling is interesting to look at it, but did very poorly. He doesn't look long for this competition. Claire did poorly in all challenges so she deserved it. Crazy shirt IT guy is on the edge too.

So Welford Park is a new location, right?... I hate when the technical challenge directions are vague or incomplete. I know that they want to test the bakers' instincts and knowledge, but giving directions like "prepare the cherries" or leaving out how long to bake something is stupid in my opinion.

Whenever the bakers have to make a lot more things than the judges will eat, I like to imagine the bakers and the crew sitting around afterward having a feast. But 36 mini cakes x 12 bakers is an obscene amount of cakes!

They've been changing the parks each season I think. In Britain, they have their choice of stately homes and parks. I love those set up shots. Lots of goats.

I remember you mentioning that in the old TWOP topic. I don't mind the missing stuff. It's a way for them to make things harder each year. Also, testing how long to bake a cake is not hard if you've made a few and there are testers. The "Prepare the cherries" bit was funny. I like it gives suspense because it means each baker has to decide what to do themselves. Things get harder and harder each year.

They are all mini cakes! The bakers try each other's and the crew too. I do hope they have more than one dishwasher now. 

• Love 3

I love this show. I'm so happy it's back. It's my favorite out of the series ( I do wish the American one had lasted, it was cute).

I now want to learn how to make Swill rolls. This show always gets my mind and taste buds going with all the flavor combinations.

Edited by BuddhaBelly
  • Love 3

Despite the fact that CBS didn't promote the show, I caught the first episode of "The American Baking Competition", was hooked, and sought out and watched the British, Australian, and Irish versions.

Of the four, I enjoy the British version the most. Sue and Mel are great hosts and Mary and Paul are a perfect pairing.  I enjoyed "The Great Australian Bake Off" as well but didn't like the theme music they used. I've always enjoyed Kerry Vincent's judging and Dan Lepard was a good foil for her tough judge persona.  It's unfortunate American version didn't survive because Jeff Foxworthy was an exceptional host. I don't think Paul and Marcella worked as a judgng duo. I didn't mind Paul but Marcella was boring. I wish they would have given the show another season with another judging panel.

So happy season 5 has started. They do an excellent job of introducing the contestants in the first episode so the viewer has a sense of each baker as an individual with all their quirks. That's what I felt was lacking in the Irish version.

In the Swiss Roll signature challenge, I wanted to reach through the screen and take a slice of Nancy's coffee & hazelnut roll because I love that flavor combination and Martha's tiramasu roll because I love tiramasu. I thought Richard's swiss roll was visually beautiful.

I loved Nancy's gullotine her husband built for the showstopper challenge.. Mel and Sue were hysterical fighting over Diane's chocolate mousse. I wanted one of Richard's minature coffee & walnut cakes and Norman's Almond & Raspberry mini-cakes ( I have a weakness for whipped cream).

I know it's mean of me but every time they showed Iain with his full beard I kept on thinking ... I hope he doesn't shed into the cake. In one of the Chopped episodes, Chris Santos ended up with a hair in his dish from a chef who lacked hair on top of his head but had a beard.

I miss the shots of the squirrels ... the sheep just doesn't do it for me.

Edited by RealityCheck
  • Love 3

I miss the squirrels too! And yeah, while he comes across as a nice, genial guy, I can understand why you might be concerned with Iain's formidable beard in the kitchen.

I was also pretty impressed by the retired naval officer and the contractor. Richard seems to have a calm approach to each challenge and it was entertaining to see the pencil behind his ear. I'm hoping that Enwezor, with his Nigerian and Japanese background, will start offering some unusual flavor combinations. And it's neat that Luis has his own honeybees.

I caught part of the companion show for this episode - I'd call it an aftershow but it's broadcast days later- and though most of it was pretty superfluous, it was nice to see what clinically anxious Claire could create without the time pressure and TV cameras. A girly, well sculpted showstopper whose flavors impressed the guest Michelin chef. If we consider the agoraphobia and other psychological conditions she suffers, then it's actually impressive Claire did as well as she did in the tent. And I'm sorry we won't be seeing her british breakfast bread.

Something a GBBO fan mentioned during the companion show surprised me though - is it that unusual still for Brits to include bacon in their baked goods? On this side of the pond, bacon desserts have been around a long time. Maple bacon donuts, chocolate-covered bacon, etc.

Edited by halopub
  • Love 4
Something a GBBO fan mentioned during the companion show surprised me though - is it that unusual still for Brits to include bacon in their baked goods?

In the American version, Francine made a Chocolate, Peanut Butter, & Bacon pie and Paul said he never heard of that flavor combination so it's sounds like bacon in desserts did not migrate to the other side of the pond.

• Love 2
Something a GBBO fan mentioned during the companion show surprised me though - is it that unusual still for Brits to include bacon in their baked goods? On this side of the pond, bacon desserts have been around a long time. Maple bacon donuts, chocolate-covered bacon, etc.

In the American version, Francine made a Chocolate, Peanut Butter, & Bacon pie and Paul said he never heard of that flavor combination so it's sounds like bacon in desserts did not migrate to the other side of the pond.

Indeed, if you presented a recipe for a dessert, cake or pie that included bacon here in the UK, most people would be as horrified as if you had offered them fish fingers and custard... :O

• Love 5

I really enjoyed An Extra Slice. It was great to see Claire so relaxed and bubbly. I also loved seeing some of the footage that got cut from the regular episode. I had no idea who the celebrity guests were but they had some good comments so I was fine with them.

Indeed, if you presented a recipe for a dessert, cake or pie that included bacon here in the UK, most people would be as horrified as if you had offered them fish fingers and custard... :O

I think it's because British bacon is a lot like Canadian bacon. 

• Love 4

I think it's because British bacon is a lot like Canadian bacon. 

Ah...good point! That could explain a lot of the aversion.

I appreciate the Eleventh Doctor reference.

It's too bad that all of you are missing out on an established savory/sweet flavor combination. To be fair, though, you have some terrific flavors that we don't really know stateside, like gooseberry & elderflower.

True, true. I'd forgotten about that. I remember her primarily for using fish bait in that pie.

• Love 2

Despite the fact that CBS didn't promote the show, I caught the first episode of "The American Baking Competition", was hooked, and sought out and watched the British, Australian, and Irish versions.

It not coming back probably has as much to do with Paul Hollywood's inability to keep his dick in his pants as it did mediocre ratings.  I mean it only had summer ratings expectations to contend with, so they might have risked a second season if the show hadn't become total scandal bait.

Man are you guys missing out.  Salt enhances desserts. Bacon is salty, plus incredibly delicious.  It's a win win.  Of course it has to be American-style bacon (in other words, 100% Pork Belly) to make any real sense.  I believe you Brits call it "streaky bacon".

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 2

It not coming back probably has as much to do with Paul Hollywood's inability to keep his dick in his pants as it did mediocre ratings.  I mean it only had summer ratings expectations to contend with, so they might have risked a second season if the show hadn't become total scandal bait.

Man are you guys missing out.  Salt enhances desserts. Bacon is salty, plus incredibly delicious.  It's a win win.  Of course it has to be American-style bacon (in other words, 100% Pork Belly) to make any real sense.  I believe you Brits call it "streaky bacon".

They didn't really promote the show and it had some strange marketing. Either way, it was boring. The British, Australian, Irish and French versions of this show were miles ahead of the American version.

Most good bakers do put some salt in their desserts and it's common to do in the UK as well. I do like bacon as well. As a Canadian, I love my "peameal bacon" which is basically Canadian bacon to Americans.

The Brits do have more of a focus on savoury baking than across the pond I find: cornish pasties, pork pies, etc. 

• Love 1

Yes, I was pleasantly surprised in a past season during pie week that there were so many savory pies. Don't get me wrong - I LOVE fruit pies but on a baking competition show where each person has to make a different flavor combination, it would have been a little boring to see only the typical single fruit pies (apple, cherry, blueberry, strawberry).

• Love 1

I stumbled on this show by accident - My local PBS station had tacked it onto the end of a Downton Abby summary prior to starting the next season so it didn't show up on the schedule.  I've got my DVR set for next week's show (which thankfully is listed). 

Add me to the list who misses the US show.  I don't know what I miss most though, the bakers or funny, foxy Jeff. 

Edited by Me Too
  • Love 2

Add me to the list who misses the US show.  I don't know what I miss most though, the bakers or funny, foxy Jeff.

Put me on the list, too. The American version was both captivating due to the bakers and funny due to Jeff. Very low-key, unusual for American competition shows, but I guess all the drama was off-screen with the judges. Everyone on the TWoP thread loved the show, it was certainly worthy of coming back for 6-8 weeks over the summer.

I figured the British version would retain what I liked about the American show and I was right. I  have no idea who the hosts or the judges are (I only know Paul because he was on the American version). Anyway, I'm in.

• Love 4

The bottom three were obvious, any of them could have gone home but I think I know why they chose Claire.  I had the feeling that she would only get worse as her nerves took hold.

Based solely on the first episode it appears that Nancy and Richard are going far and are each others biggest competition.  Having put that in writing means that they'll probably fail spectacularly over the coming weeks.

• Love 1

Finally saw this. The American version really copied everything, because it was all familiar. I think Jeff Foxworthy was a much better host though. As for the cakes, it all looked good to me, & I liked all the gadgets people brought with them. There’s too many people for me to have a favorite, & I don’t hate anyone, so I’ll keep watching & see if someone starts to stand out to me.

They kept showing that bleating baby lamb , I just want to cuddle it.

Why did so many people on this show (even a host) have nasty teeth?

• Love 2

I like Paul Hollywood in this version better, he doesn't flirt with the contestants and try to act like a sex kitten. I also notice that the always use Mary 's recipes and not Paul's. I wonder if he is still schtupping the American host (who I could not stand along with her abnormally small hands she'd like to shake around.)

Edited by jellywager

I like Paul Hollywood in this version better, he doesn't flirt with the contestants and try to act like a sex kitten. I also notice that the always use Mary 's recipes and not Paul's. I wonder if he is still schtupping the American host (who I could not stand along with her abnormally small hands she'd like to shake around.)

I moved your post to the episode topic. I didn't really find Paul that flirty in the American version; the editing tried to do that though. He is back with his wife. I really don't care about the scandal to be honest.

Spoiler alert! They do use Paul's recipes and I have a couple of Paul's books. He really is a great baker and his books are very helpful if you want to learn more about bread and pastry.

• Love 3

I didn't really find Paul that flirty in the American version; the editing tried to do that though. He is back with his wife. I really don't care about the scandal to be honest.

Really? He was constantly in the female contestants face staring at them like they were suppose to swoon. I also found him a little grabby with them. It is probably the fault of the American producers, they alway seem to try and ramp up the personalities of the Brits. BTW, I don't care about the scandal either. 

I watched last night on PBS for the first time ever and it was so engaging and interesting. And I say this as somebody who is at best an adequate cook and baker with no ambition to improve my skills.

I would say that's probably true of most of their audience. Bless them for inspiring so many to try their hand at both eating and baking new things, though. I know I've certainly learned about flavor combinations that aren't well known stateside.

The bottom three were obvious, any of them could have gone home but I think I know why they chose Claire.  I had the feeling that she would only get worse as her nerves took hold.

Yeah, she talked about this back when the episode first broadcasted. Claire's great at baking when not under time pressure but given how she's struggled with truly serious anxiety issues and was stressed out by the whole production process, it was probably for the best that she wasn't subjected to months of competition.

• Love 2

I love this show, just as much for the baking as for the non-snarky atmosphere among the contestants. I also like that there are three baking opportunities for each elimination, which is much more fair for those who happen to stumble on one challenge but are otherwise talented.

I forget--do they know ahead of time what their challenge will be for the week? It seemed coincidental that one woman had recently made her very first Swiss roll and another woman (sorry, too early for most names!) knew to bring her mini-guillotine.

ETA: Thanks for the info, Athena!

Edited by ElleBee
  • Love 2

I forget--do they know ahead of time what their challenge will be for the week? It seemed coincidental that one woman had recently made her very first Swiss roll and another woman (sorry, too early for most names!) knew to bring her mini-guillotine.

They know all the Showstoppers and Signature challenges before hand for the whole competition. They provide the producers the recipes ahead of time as well so that proper equipment and ingredients can be acquired and prepared. They are also able to go home and practice during the week, but most don't have time to work beyond that week's challenges. That would be difficult since they don't know if and when they may get eliminated.

• Love 8

Just saw this here in the DFW area and I love it! ( I think our local PBSstation is going to show it "properly" at 7PM on Sundays (local time) then air it on Saturdays as well. Which is great, for when I really want to see the hows of what contestants are doing.

I do find that I like Paul more in this version of the show than the U.S.; I think it has to do with his ease in the setting and having Ms. Berry as a fellow judge. They are wonderful. (I now aspire to make Mary Berry's Cherry Cake!)

The U.S. version so completely took everything, except Ms. Berry, for their version that I immediately felt at home. I am excited for the rest of the season!

PS-- I also greatly enjoy the hosts.

Edited by Actionmage
  • Love 1

I loved the US version and I was so excited to see it on my local PBS!  It's so silly, but I had a smile on my face for both episodes (Ep 1 & 2 were aired back to back).  Loved the challenges, the contestants, the hosts & the judges.  Everyone is so sweet and charming. I like reality shows with people who can be competitive but compassionate, congratulatory and empathetic toward their competition.   I even love the tent and especially the little lambs bleating all over the place. 

Nancy and Richard are definitely strong contenders.  Martha is impressive as well.  I love Norman and I will cry when/if he is booted off. 

• Love 4

I loved every little thing about this! The judges, the competitors, the cakes, everything. I could see that the American version kept most elements from the British version, which was smart. Though I don't think they'd get away with "pop Mary's cherry," which did crack me up, on American TV. Halfway through watching this episode this morning, I called my husband and asked him to stop and get me a cupcake from my favorite bakery on the way home. In 7 hours, woe is me. I will not watch subsequent episodes without a piece of whatever they're making in the house.    

• Love 4

Just caught this on On Demand last night.  I watched the US version last summer (?) and quite enjoyed it  I enjoyed this too.  I especially enjoyed the shots of the little black sheep that popped up from time to time.

ETA:  Having appropriate snackage is essential so I'll have to do some research ahead of time to make sure I have the goods on hand.  The cake round did not bother me though since I am usually pretty neutral on cake.

Edited by DeLurker