Type keyword(s) to search

FilmNight: Movies you watched recently

• Start Topic

1 minute ago, andromeda331 said:

He was? I had no idea. My family loved him for all his work with the USO. It meant so much to soldiers stationed in Vietnam and other places. That's devastating.

That makes him one of the many celebs for which we have conflicting feelings.  He was also a horndog.  If he were alive in the modern era, he'd probably be caught up in a me-too scandal. 

• Like 2
10 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

OH, so glad you liked this.  I totally thought this was up your alley.  I liked all the things you mentioned--you could see the good along with the bad--it wasn't simplistic.  Also, what an ass Bob Hope was. 

Another thing I loved and inexplicably forgot to note -- how many women were involved in making this film, in positions of power, not just hair and make-up.  Written and directed by women, most of the producers were women (including at the executive producer level), it was edited by a woman, cast by a woman, etc.  Seeing a list of credits in this vein is like finding a unicorn, and, surprise, when we do somehow find it, it's when the director/executive producer is a woman (Ava DuVernay is vocal on this issue, and as far as I can tell the best at walking the talk in the mainstream, but there are others).

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 2
18 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

That makes him one of the many celebs for which we have conflicting feelings.  He was also a horndog.  If he were alive in the modern era, he'd probably be caught up in a me-too scandal. 

He came from a time where public persona covered up a lot of private misbehavior.

• Like 1

I’ve had good luck choosing a few really spectacular movies lately.

Wit - a 2001 film based on a Pulitzer Prize-winning play with a bravura performance from Emma Thompson, one of my very favorite actresses. She plays a professor, specializing in the works of John Donne, who has been diagnosed with terminal ovarian cancer. Probably 80-90% of the movie is her, sometimes interacting with supporting actors but often in monologue. Streaming on MAX.

Inherit the Wind - wow. I’d heard of this classic based on the Scopes trial, of course, but it hadn’t really been on my radar to watch until a friend recommended it. Spencer Tracy is magnificent, and the theme is very resonant in our current science vs. conservative Christianity climate. Streaming on Tubi and Pluto.

The Gardener - documentary about Frank Cabot and the gardens he designed at his family estate in Quebec. Just gorgeous physically and spiritually. Streaming on Prime.

Edited by Babalu06
  • Like 2