Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E05: Dodger Day

dubbel zout
  • Start Topic

The only thing I remotely liked was the (vague, tenuous) connection between Sam Malone, ex-pitcher, and the mayor.

I continue to dislike the staffers, though I felt bad for Jayden.  The tag with his ad-libs was mildly amusing.

• Love 2

I liked the fact that "Mayday Malone" was worried about his ability to throw a baseball, LOL

I like the Mayor and Jayden.  Arpi is growing on me.  The 2 staffers continue to be a drag on the show, although I did like their frantic plan for getting a new ID; hiding from the picture lady made me laugh.  They're both too young and too inexperienced to be the primary staffers for the mayor of Los Angeles.  Maybe the producers should steal some ideas from "Parks & Recreation" for how to populate a city government with interesting (and funny) characters.

• Love 6
48 minutes ago, Gregg247 said:

I liked the fact that "Mayday Malone" was worried about his ability to throw a baseball, LOL

Same, and there was another CSI joke, too.

But otherwise, this show really needs to be punched up.

• Love 5

The show is just completely average.  It's not bad to watch if nothing else is in but it's nit good enough to make me even disappointed if I happen to miss it

For a tina fey driven vehicle it's very underwhelming. 

Agreed. It's pleasant enough, it's got a great cast, but the writing is just mediocre. I think there was maybe one time I chuckled but I can't even remember at what. It certainly wasn't the baseball to the crotch shot. Talk about scraping the bottom of the barrel for laughs.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Ouch, the couch shot? Show, I like you, but that shit must stop. You can be better than that, I know it. 

So someone on this show is either a Crazy Ex Girlfriend fan, or Vella Lovell asked if she could bring a friend to LA from West Covina. It was great to see Gabrielle Ruiz, even if she was in a pretty minor role, can we get more CEG alumni? What do I have to do to get a Rachel Bloom guest spot? 

This show is not super great yet (although it still has a ton of potential) but its got good bones, and it always gets a few laughs out of me. Y They Ca made me giggle in a very undignified kind of way. 

• Love 4

Last week’s episode was stronger, but I enjoyed this one more than the pilot, and definitely more than episode two.

No Orly is a fantastic improvement.

Jayden is consistently amusing me. She sounds like she has red hair.

I liked, “He smells like diet Red Bull.”

I liked, “Why is my voice deeper?”

I liked the mayor’s perplexed reaction to reading that she is more than the female version of Daniel.

I liked Arpi’s catcher/pitcher hand gestures.

The Jayden love interest resembled Vanessa Bauer in her quirkiness.

Edited by hoodooznoodooz
  • Love 1

Maybe I'm just an easy laugh these days, but I enjoyed the episode. 

I didn't like the trope of the clerical staff being under-appreciated, butter, and then easily placated with a gesture. It's even worse when the people doing it are young and smug. 

Also didn't like the crotch shot.

But I enjoy Arpi. She's a good mix of Machiavellian and Do-goody. She wants power, but she also actually wants to make good policy. And she wants the mayor to fail, partly because he's genuinely a buffoon who knows nothing about what he's doing and isn't trying in any serious way to learn, but she also can't quite resist using her skillz to help him, because she loves to flex her power and also she can get stuff done that way. Her internal struggle between being a hard ass and being an ally is amusing to me. 

• Love 8

The best part about this episode for me was, no daughter.

The part I really liked was Ted Danson kicking up his heels as he walked off the field.

My watch list is getting smaller and smaller.

On 1/28/2021 at 7:07 PM, Irlandesa said:

And I kind of laughed at Y They CA.

I watched the whole show but must have zoned out during this. What was the Y They CA joke?

• Love 1
1 hour ago, foxfreakinmulder said:

The best part about this episode for me was, no daughter.

The part I really liked was Ted Danson kicking up his heels as he walked off the field.

My watch list is getting smaller and smaller.

I watched the whole show but must have zoned out during this. What was the Y They CA joke?

One character mentions an activity/event (?) that is taking place at, no longer a YMCA, nor YWCA, but a Y They CA. Arpi delivers the line at least on one occasion. I think she suggests that the mayor soak in a cold pool there.

Edited by hoodooznoodooz
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
1 hour ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

One character mentions an activity/event (?) that is taking place at, no longer a YMCA, nor YWCA, but a Y They CA. Arpi delivers the line at least on one occasion. I think she suggests that the mayor soak in a cold pool there.

I never quite got the humor of that, maybe if she said Y"Us"CA I might have thought it was funnier.

So was the PR lady actually romantically interested in Jayden? I thought at first they were going for the classic mix up of he thinks she's interested and plays it up in his head, but turns out that she just wanted to use him for a PR angle or something. But that never really materialized. The mayor feeling bad about ruining Jayden's chances by hitting him in the groin made it seem like he and PR lady were a real potential couple.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

I never quite got the humor of that, maybe if she said Y"Us"CA I might have thought it was funnier.

They chose "they" to specifically evoke the idea of "non-binary."  It's not the most on point word replacement but it gets at the concept in a way I don't think "us" does.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

They chose "they" to specifically evoke the idea of "non-binary."  It's not the most on point word replacement but it gets at the concept in a way I don't think "us" does.

Maybe Y"Them"CA

• Love 1

This show says a lot about politics that may or may not be intentional.  Helmet idea? An example of something that "sounds good" so the policy is moved forward without a long-term study as otherwise someone may have realized the potential lice issue.  Bad policy?  An example of diverting the public's attention by staging something else that will draw the media and attention (the "wag the dog" theory).  I just want to be entertained.  Oh, and I want to be entertained without someone being humiliated by a ball to the crotch.