Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E06: Mother's Little Helper

When Katie’s mentor and dear friend Tami moves to Westport, Katie wastes no time introducing her to her “A Real Mother” vlog viewers. Meanwhile, Taylor discovers Greg has been keeping an entertaining secret.

I agree with Katy. Making fun of Greg is best when they do it as a family.  The Taylor foot fetish joke was quite unexpected 😮 How Is Katy okay with that.

I liked the family resemblances in this episode. Taylor messed with Greg like Katy did with Oliver, and she loves music like Greg. It's nice to see where she gets it from.

• Love 5

Let's call it: Tami is a blatant replacement for Angela. It's kind of insulting in a way.

I'll never tire of hearing Cooper calling Katie and Greg "mom and dad." I can totally buy that he mainly wants to just hold a martini glass and stir because it's a Waspy thing. Oliver doesn't strike me as a drinker either. Their storyline was the best bit this episode.

• Love 17
1 minute ago, iMonrey said:

Let's call it: Tami is a blatant replacement for Angela. It's kind of insulting in a way.

I'll never tire of hearing Cooper calling Katie and Greg "mom and dad." I can totally buy that he mainly wants to just hold a martini glass and stir because it's a Waspy thing. Oliver doesn't strike me as a drinker either. Their storyline was the best bit this episode.

Yeah, I'm calling it too with Tami. Even how the daughter acts, which was suppose to be how Angela's kids were that we saw off panel several times. I really did enjoy Taylor's story and Cooper and Oliver's story worked very well. Though I did laugh when they didn't end up having the alcohol at the end. 

• Love 3
17 hours ago, geauxaway said:

Greg’s band had me dying.  I’m happy he has them!

I know and I like how Greg pretty much explained anytime he does things he cares about he gets dumped on by the family. It's like me before COVID happen, I kept getting asked why I did just go see my sci-fi/marvel movies since my spouse and family could care less about them. I pretty much said every time I go to enjoy one. I get texts that include: "What time are you going to be home?" "The kids are driving me crazy, when are you coming home?" "Isn't it over yet." Hence, I just gave up and don't say anything if I say I'm: "Going out to run a few things, I'll see everyone in a couple of hours." They leave me alone then.

• Useful 2

I got a kick out of Franklin, Esq., and his billable hours. The boys' basement lair never ceases to surprise. An escape tunnel, lined with mosaic tiles. One of Phoenix's ritzier neighborhoods has a wide pedestrian underpass like that. I like that Oliver doesn't mind Cooper calling Katy and Greg Mom and Dad -- true brothers. It's too bad newcomers to the show may not know the backstory.

Greg's band is a treat, especially with the addition of Taylor. Monty Python once had a skit with a musical lesson on Middle Ages agrarian society, by the Ronettes.

Regardless of the background casting gossip, I like Super Mom. But I think the transformation of Brat Girl at the end was too smooth and fast, especially in comparison with the boys' experience.

Good Ep. Did we lose Trip?

• Love 5
On 1/14/2021 at 12:23 PM, iMonrey said:

I agree about Tami.  Let's hope she doesn't end up doing "second breakfast" with Katy or it will be even more obvious.  I noticed the absence of breakfast and Doris altogether.  I wonder if they're going to drop that from the series.  I miss Doris.  I hope they find ways to continue to include her.

I split my sides over the martini glass stirring being a Waspy thing.  I did love the storyline about the basement.  I am enjoying that addition to the show.

• Love 5
On 1/14/2021 at 9:23 AM, iMonrey said:

Let's call it: Tami is a blatant replacement for Angela.

The announcement of her casting was pretty explicit about that. I know not every viewer necessarily reads those things, but the show is in no way trying to pull a fast one.

• Useful 4
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, theatremouse said:

The announcement of her casting was pretty explicit about that. I know not every viewer necessarily reads those things, but the show is in no way trying to pull a fast one.

The show can frame it any way they want, but they can't control audience perception, and it's clear from many comments online that the audience sees her as a "blatant replacement" for Angela.

• Love 3

Right, but what I'm saying is: the audience is correct. The press releases after Carly Hughes announced her departure literally said they were replacing the Angela character with a new one played by Holly Robinson Pete. Maybe I was reading and responding to subtext that wasn't intended but if the criticism is "how dare they do this and think we won't notice how obvious it is", the answer to that is they didn't expect anyone to not notice or not find it obvious. People may not like how obvious it is, but it's not like when they switched Taylors between episodes 1 and 2. It's much more similar to replacing Coach on New Girl with Winston, except with a lot more off-camera animosity.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
15 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I agree about Tami.  Let's hope she doesn't end up doing "second breakfast" with Katy or it will be even more obvious.  I noticed the absence of breakfast and Doris altogether.  I wonder if they're going to drop that from the series.  I miss Doris.  I hope they find ways to continue to include her.

Right and that is more on the actress not wanting to be around because of COVID restrictions. Plus, as much as I continue to hope, it seem to give a good reason to get rid of Trip too. We haven't seen him at all since the premiere, I think the writers and producers got a clue that NO ONE likes the character or they also realized not only was Trip one note, but they fulfilled his contract obligations and just let it go, but we will see. Nothing is on the roster of the actor returning in the next few episodes, so I hope that's all she wrote, but we know that Tami is here to stay.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, One4Sorrow2TooBad said:

Add me to the few who didn't care much for the Tami character.  Something seemed so faked and forced with her being besties with Katy etc. Wished the producers would have found someone who was more believable at keeping it real as BBF's . 

This.  Angela was far more believable as Katy's friend right from the start.  Plus they could have waited until the actress's seat was cold before introducing Tami.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Yeah No said:

This.  Angela was far more believable as Katy's friend right from the start.  Plus they could have waited until the actress's seat was cold before introducing Tami.

I agree and as we know with some of the restrictions, it would have been more interesting for Katie to deal with that void and the fact she isn't good at making friends or keeping them. Just like how Greg brought up how he has given up on telling the family any of his hobbies or crusades after what happened with the city council (even though that was stupid IMO). I mean why go: "Well, I'm going to help start the new rural 3R program." Followed by Katie and Oliver going: "Recycling is a scam up with mask wearing, you saving no one!" Or have Taylor do her classic deer in the headlights reaction. Honestly, I hope they just keep Greg like this and have him and Taylor just bound over this and if Katie, Oliver and Nu-Ana-Kat find out, just have Taylor fire back: "Sorry mom, this is actually fun, don't you have a mommy vlog no one is watching to worry about?"

• Love 3

The weakest part of this show has always been Katy's "career".  I care as little about her vlog as I did her lasagna business and party planning job.

I didn't mind Holly Robinson-Peete, but I hope this doesn't mean 2nd breakfast is over. That was one of my favorite parts of the show.

Overall, I thought this was a pretty good episode.  And I think I'm getting used to Anna-Kat 2.0.  I've pretty much stopped imagining her lines being spoken by Julia Butters.

• Love 3
On 1/21/2021 at 5:36 AM, floridamom said:

Darn, I missed this episode. I understand the COVID situation right now; but networks have been doing this on and off thing with airing episodes of a show for a long time now. What day and time are they airing now?

Wednesday 8:30. 

• Love 1

The episodes have been so sporadic I've forgotten who was who. I remember liking Katy's friends, but I don't miss Angela per se. I liked Tami well enough to accept her as part of the show.

I like the kids' friends more than the kids. Maybe because the characters have more freedom -- I can't picture Katy and Greg putting up with Anna-Kat being Taylor's legal representation and telling them she was "on the clock." 

I also liked Greg having his own outside interest and how the professor got pissed when Taylor butted in. Not your party. (Plus I hate when shows write in actors' singing careers. Do it on your own time.)

• Love 5

When they did that episode last season about the old Anna Kat singing for money while on vacation in California, I hoped they didn’t do any more episodes promoting the kids’ singing careers. Actually liked Greg’s band, but not with Taylor. 

The writers are running out of ideas and borrowing from other shows. Kids that sing? Hello Brady Bunch 2.0. Parent who vlogs? Hello Last Man Standing. Obnoxious mother? Hello Roseanne. 

I like Oliver and Cooper, but this storyline surprised me. Drugs in the last episode and now booze. I’m sure it got laughs but it’s not a direction I want to see for these two even if they did decide it was wrong in the end.

So far I like the Holly R. Peete character and even like her better than Angela.

• Love 1

And one more thing about the writers: 

Seeing this basement remodel in more detail makes me question the last episode even more. Why were Copper and Oliver even in the upstairs bathroom? They had an electric bar to hide booze, but not a place in the basement to hide the ADHD pills? Why are all these characters cramming into the upstairs bathroom all at once? It’s already been established they have a downstairs bathroom, and surely Cooper and Oliver’s basement remodel included a bathroom along with that sauna. I know this is fiction, but the writers are taking some liberties that are making me question how much longer they can keep this up. Wouldn’t be surprised if this is the last season.

• Love 4