Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E03: Do You Know The Way Home?

WendyCR72
  • Start Topic

Airing on January 13, 2021:

Dr. Charles and April team up to take on a mysterious patient in the ED. Dr. Halstead is forced to make a life-or-death decision for one of his trial patients. Dr. Marcel is confronted by his past when a former acquaintance is brought into the ED.

19 minutes ago, CoyoteBlue said:

Christ, I am 1000% DONE listening to NewGabby April self-righteoiusly bitching about how Choi is daring to interfere with her sacred calling. St. April of the COVID ward, saving humanity. 

Every episode April brings a whole new world of meaning to "holier than thou".

What the hell is with the random on and off or not at all mask wearing of the extras?

Edited by Brookside
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, CoyoteBlue said:

Christ, I am 1000% DONE listening to NewGabby April self-righteoiusly bitching about how Choi is daring to interfere with her sacred calling. St. April of the COVID ward, saving humanity. 

When she said “You can’t do that!” to Ethan, I was like “Oh, yes, he can, bitch!”

Please don’t put my hottie Crockett with Natalie! That is a crime against humanity. 😡

• Love 8

I missed posting on a couple episodes but after S6, E3 episode, I had to share my thoughts as well.   I am so disappointed and disgusted with this once brilliantly-written show; I think I'm through watching--at least on a regular basis.   Maybe I've been beaten down by the pandemic but after patiently waiting for the return of Chicago Med,  S6, E3 was just dull & boring.   We have the usual suspects and more of the same: 

Halstead - Mr. Omnipotent who ALWAYS knows what's best for patients--almost killing them every time!   Will he NEVER learn??

April - Can she be anymore childish, unprofessional and annoying--in general and especially with Choi?  They've made her into another unlikable know-it-all and him like a whipped puppy every time he looks at her/they confront each other.🤢

Choi - seems to have lost all intelligence and competence he once displayed in the earlier seasons.  Now he's become befuddled, uncertain and a bad decision maker about what to do on anything!

Dr. Charles - he's become an unimportant character when his previous involvement was at least the voice of reason.   I don't know why the writers brought back his teenage daughter and 2ndd wife.  For that matter, why bring back CeCe only to have her die?

Sharon - What's up with her video calls?  Is she supposed to still be in quarantine? (I believe she's diabetic IRL so perhaps that's why she's not on the show?  Did I miss something?)

Maggie - they make a big deal of her getting married, health issues, etc., and if I were a first-time viewer, I'd know nothing about who she is!!  Is she even still married?  did he die?  do they still have that kid?  Maybe I need to revisit S6, E1-2 as I honestly can't remember and worse, don't know if I want to, LOL!

Manning & Marcel - JUST HELL NO.  I could see this "set up" coming for miles and hoped against this arrangement but it looks like they will push it forward.   And who the hell is self-righteous Natalie to question him about his one-night stands?

I don't know who the writers are for this season (or since Connor's departure) but this is show is past life support. Sadly, there is nothing redeeming about this show any longer which causes me to question if it can be saved.   The uninteresting, poorly-written yet predictable storylines, character assassinations they've done to everyone, etc., just doesn't hold my interest any longer; I'm not invested in these characters since they've become a shell of who they once were.  If they don't resuscitate it quickly, it will continue to die a slow, painful death, imo.

Happy New Year to all and stay safe & healthy!!😷

Edited by cathmed
  • Love 5

Later this season, April will rescue another abducted child.  He'll turn out to be Louis, the child Gabby and Casey tried to adopt years ago.  Gabby will find out somehow, come back from wherever she is, and make an appearance to worship at the altar of April, thereby hitting us all mercilessly on the head with the fact that April is a true saint.  After all, the first saint of Chicago First Responders says so!

Then in the last five minutes of the episode, as Gabby is leaving the hospital, she'll push April's brother out of the way of a speeding car (in his only sporadic appearance this season) and then single-handledly save his life performing some procedure on the street that only a doctor should do, but naturally, Gabby knows all about it.  "There's no time!  He'll die if I don't [do this procedure] right now!" so Gabby does it anyway.

Then April will worship at the altar of Gabby before they both decide they will share the crown of Chicago First Responder Saint since there's room for both of them, given that Gabby is usually blessing other countries with her saintliness.

In the meantime, Halstead is still giving woefully inadequate disclosures to potential trial participants, complete with his wild eyes and wild hair.  Character growth?  Nope, what show do you think this is?  And Natalie is still skulking around, trying to kiss Crockett's toes, kneecaps, armpits, etc. in dark corners of the hospital. 

• LOL 5
  • Love 1

I caught this episode while waiting for Fire to come on. I'm familiar with the characters but not a regular viewer, as I usually just end up missing ER when I watch Med. Halstead's storyline with the trial drug and the April/Choi/Charles storyline both felt ridiculously forced, OOC, and manufactured, and I don't really even know these characters.

It was obvious the heart patient wasn't cognitively intact, but Halstead was written as if he somehow didn't notice that and as so obtuse that he couldn't even have a real conversation with Maggie about it, to force the rest of the plot. He should be fired. Same thing with Choi being inexplicably 100% resistant to the idea that an obviously erratic, shut down, fearful, unstable young patient could be abused or in danger, despite the professional opinion of the chief of psychiatry and the dramatic whispery doe-eyed advocacy of Yaya Dacosta. WTF.

This is the same level of writing that makes Chicago Fire 99% ridiculous. The writers have some plots, and the characters will damn well fit those plots, no matter how unprofessional, inept, and incompetent it makes the characters out to be. The bigger problem with Med is that it takes itself so. damned. seriously. It's really bad.

And now I miss ER.

• Love 2

I know TV is suspension of reality but this is suspension of credulity.  I was recently in an ER and I can tell you that the doctors and nurses don't have time to be making goo-goo eyes at each other.  

It's really unfortunate that they choose this time of COVID to make a mockery of clinical trials.  There are all sorts of legal and ethical considerations when enrolling someone in a trial.  There are independent entities as well as the government to review trials (and enrollments) to make sure they are done properly.  Without that, people would lose confidence in the trials and the medicines (and vaccines) that come out of them.  It's not a 10-second process with an elderly patient who may not be fully competent to make that decision.  There must be a VERY careful explanation of the way the trial is conducted, the risk and benefits, etc.  I realize this is TV and every timeline is shortened, but this is also a time when people need to have confidence in the process and this wouldn't reassure a gnat.  Then this random person appears (never figured out if she was his wife or what) who starts giving different orders and slapping! a doctor.  That's assault and is never acceptable, even if Halstead was in the wrong.  

I think we should start a drinking game (water or soft drinks, b/c o/w we'd have a lot of drunk folks).  One drink every time:

• Halstead imposes his will such that he either kills or almost kills a patient
  • April gives one of her petulant looks
  • April makes a holier than thou speech
  • Choi gets angry
  • Natalie kills (or almost kills) a patient
  • Natalie makes goo-goo eyes at someone
  • We discover another wife or child of Dr. Charles

Why is it impossible for one -- just ONE -- character on this show to have a stable home / personal life.  I know it's a drama but seriously, doctors and nurses don't stand around the ER talking about their personal lives, being jealous of patients (what was up with THAT with Natalie?), or trying to hit on their colleagues.   They're too busy trying to keep people dying from COVID and all the non-COVID maladies that are still killing people. 

• Love 4

Is April I her thirties or in early childhood? She was beyond petulant with her little tantrums.  Choi is still an arrogant know it all. 

How many times has Will ignored a patient's wishes? His recklessness is why he wasn't promoted.  Not that Choi is much better.  

The only good thing about Natalie crushing on Crockett,  is that she's becoming less sanctimonious.  I did roll my eyes at her judging his one night stands.  Unlike his coworkers Crockett does not bring his personal drama to work. 

• Love 2

After watching this episode, I agree with people who said the COVID protocols weren't consistent. How the hell can you have a COVID wing where patients are in isolation, but on another floor have doctors and patients not social distancing, not wearing masks and allowing visitors? That's not how any real hospital operates right now. If you want COVID to be part of the storyline, be consistent with it. Don't make COVID life be on one floor and then make it seem like everything is back to normal on another. It makes no sense.

And OMG, the Natalie-Crockett storyline in this episode was just forced. Almost every chance Natalie got, she had to look at Crockett. What coincidence that one of Crockett's one-night stands is brought in to the ER to give Natalie further information on Crockett's love life. Talk about trying too hard. And Will's storyline was as predictable as the four yearly seasons. As soon he learned a patient might qualify for the trial, I instantly knew he was going to try to push for it for the patient even if they weren't fully cognizant, wind up pushing too hard to become the bad guy, and then have a crisis of conscience and save the patient. Good TV shows with good writing would not make storylines so damn predictable. It seems these writers do not want the characters to to experience character growth.

• Love 1

Charles and April were doing well enough until they went to visit the mother but Mom refused to have her heart broken again.

The adult thing would be to ask her if they could do a DNA test and not bother her if they're wrong.  Instead April steals the beloved teddy bear (which looked way too pristine to be a decades old beloved toy) and gives it to the girl, who promptly falls sobbing into April's arms while Charles smiles benevolently. They must think I'm stupid to fall for this.

Ugh, Will’s hair!  What was with that unruly mop?

he does not understand the words “No” and “I do not consent”. 

very strange mask rules at this hospital. Wearing them outside but not inside with a variety of patients and visitors coming and going.