Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E01: Samantha's Story

• Start Topic

I’m super late to this party but catching up on this season on a rainy day today and would just like to add to all the dead-on comments so far:

I cringed with Samantha’s vulgar, “funny” self-deprecating comments  in front of the daughter. Stuff like “on farms they put FAT PIGS TO SLEEP because they’re USELESS! 🐷🐷🐷!!”

In front of the daughter who found you after your suicide attempt. Just, no. It was like something from a Stephen King novel. Possibly abusive? And I have a thick skin and don’t throw “abuse” around often. A thick skin like a FAT PIG they KILL ON FARMS!

...see how disturbing?! 😉 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
14 hours ago, HelloOutThere said:

Also - just dropping this here because I’ve already sent to several friends and figured I’d share the love ❤️

I died with that one. She goes on about how she's wet the bed multiple times and then blames the nurses because she's in her own filth.

• Love 2
On 1/24/2021 at 9:09 PM, HelloOutThere said:

Also - just dropping this here because I’ve already sent to several friends and figured I’d share the love ❤️ 

I saw this thread had popped to the top, and I sat here wondering who Samantha was.  Could I possibly missed an episode?  and then I saw this picture and remembered.  I think either the brain cells that are in charge of my remembering have fallen down on the job or I was just so appalled by this image that I ordered them to repress all memories of her.   If I look back at the live chat, I am sure I must have commented.

7 hours ago, Twopper said:

I saw this thread had popped to the top, and I sat here wondering who Samantha was.  Could I possibly missed an episode?  and then I saw this picture and remembered.  I think either the brain cells that are in charge of my remembering have fallen down on the job or I was just so appalled by this image that I ordered them to repress all memories of her.   If I look back at the live chat, I am sure I must have commented.

Haha I know what you mean. For some reason I forget the people featured on this show almost instantly. Much more so than on other shows. Maybe because it’s Dr. Now surrounded by depressed droning and sad piano music 99% of the time? I fancy myself on having a good memory, but these episodes are like video junk food. Heh. 

No joke - I use this show as a sleep aid. The droning is very soothing and I almost always fall asleep right around the life story beginning. So takes two tries to get through each episode. 

• Useful 2
19 minutes ago, HelloOutThere said:

No joke - I use this show as a sleep aid. The droning is very soothing and I almost always fall asleep right around the life story beginning. So takes two tries to get through each episode. 

Our go-to-sleep aid is Forensics Files. 

I did look for posts from me in the live chat, and I saw that after reporting my eating habit, I commented that Mr TWoPper was watching the Cotton Bowl on the big TV and I need the big screen for this show.

On 1/5/2021 at 10:47 PM, Scarlett45 said:

True, but many many fat children don’t end up being 600lbs.

These childhood photos look very much like my childhood photos (and that of my friends that were also obese kids), but most of us “normal” fat people STOP gaining when we hit our adult height at 13/14 years old!* I’ve never been close to 300lbs (I’m 5’7).

I was surprised/amazed that Samantha said, in her introductory life explanation, that she started getting concerned when she was 300 pounds at 12 years old!!  

• Love 2
20 minutes ago, LuvMyShows said:

I was surprised/amazed that Samantha said, in her introductory life explanation, that she started getting concerned when she was 300 pounds at 12 years old!!  

I’m actually not THAT amazed. If you’ve always been large, you don’t know anything else. Especially if you’re a child- it’s just your existence. I look back on some of my childhood photos and am so glad puberty was kind to me because I was BIG. Of course I knew I was big, but it’s not until I was an adult that I realized how big I was as a child. 

We now know Samantha has a lot of issues that go far deeper than just being an obese person in our society (like a lot of people), but I do think around 12/13 you start to get close to your adult height and realize you aren’t going to grow much taller. Also for girls around then there’s a lot of social pressure to be attractive and you understand that appearance is a currency. Samantha is over 6ft (I think up thread someone said she was 6’1), given how girls tend to grow I bet you at 12 yrs old she was at least 5’10, 300lbs on her isnt 300lbs on a 12yrs old that’s 5’3. 

• Useful 1

After watching the repeat of "Samantha's Journey" I think she deserves to be in the pantheon of the worst people we have seen on the show. Did she think that she was going to Dr. Now for hypnosis? That he'd dangle a gold watch in front of her and say "You are getting sleepy ... you no longer want to order an entire restaurant menu for dinner." Her whole attitude sucked. She seemed to think that Dr. Now as not doing enough to help her. She wasn't doing anything to help herself. And that alleged "modeling" career was sick and disgusting, not to mention degrading. I also detest the way she talks. It sounds like her natural voice was altered, like when people give interviews in true crime stories and they don't want to be identified.

Also, she peed herself repeatedly and claimed she was retaining water. It was her mattress that was retaining water.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

Samantha is the type who will be thrilled getting to 500 lbs. (She must hold the world record of gaining 150 lbs while hospitalized I think? Stunning accomplishment!!).  That way she'll be marginally healthier for a while at least, and still supplement her disability/entitlement income with some Vanilla Hippo feeder work online.  To her it will be a win-win.  😬.  Unless of course she gains 300 lbs in a few months time, entirely possible for her.  She was still in rehab at end of show.  Dr Now knows she's a lost cause, but he's done everything he can do.  I'd love to know what's going on with her now!!

• Love 1
On 4/9/2021 at 10:56 AM, mmecorday said:

Also, she peed herself repeatedly and claimed she was retaining water. It was her mattress that was retaining water.

I don't understand why she didn't use some type of Depends; they make many different kinds of urine absorbent pads that would even work for a Vanilla Hippo. She was one of the worst. No wonder mom and sis peaced out on her. I agree with a poster up thread: I was fascinated with her body. I could actually see a slender body under all that flab. It moved like nothing I've seen before. Most of the people on this show are so solid. She rippled. I watched a show on some cable channel over New Year's several years ago (clearly for Diet resolutions) about a "hospital" in Long Island where grossly obese people went to "lose weight". But the patients could order food or have their friends and family bring food in and those pts never lost a pound and often gained. Since they were there voluntarily, mgmt couldn't prevent it. So I was not surprised she gained weight at the hospital. And now that we have cute Denver doctor willing to operate on uncooperative Dr Now patients, is he next in line for a post-Now season?

• Love 1

Samantha using delivery to gain 150 lbs. in the hospital was mind boggling.   The only reason she lost so much after the Covid lockdown was that no one could deliver food to her, or visit, and bring her food.     I'm sure she's going to eat through her surgery.  

• Love 1
On 1/24/2021 at 9:09 PM, HelloOutThere said:

4CF3B431-5297-4DC0-9B3B-76CC259D21CA.jpeg

I'm not sure there's enough brain bleach in the entire world to erase that image from my mind.

I must have missed Samantha's episode. I don't remember her at all.

I think she was the first episode of the 'new' season (the first few episodes were left over from last season, when they had to stop filming for Covid.     She's in Denver (actually a suburb I think), and was doing videos.    She had the adult daughter.    Samantha was in the hospital for months, around the surgery, and lost a lot of weight.   She also gained a lot of weight while in the hospital the first time (when they still allowed deliveries).