Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E07: Episode 7

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, chuckity said:

I feel like there should have been Episode 6 1/2.  

I honestly thought I must have skipped an episode somewhere.

I agree. The opening at college was jarring to me.  And being shown extensive frat behavior on TV is almost as bad as seeing it in person.

• Love 8

Those frat boys were 30 if they were a day. I have always hated that DMX song.

It took me a second but I realized that Eric's hookup was Xan from The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt. When Eric said he'd texted "You up?" (actually, it was probably "U up?") and that means "let's fuck," I was like "... Well, yeah." It never means "let's have a serious conversation about whether you were sexually abused."

• LOL 2
  • Love 4

That time jump was freaking jarring, even if it wasn't a huge one. I feel like we missed so much of the fall out from everything, its the reason I so often am not a fan of time jumps, I feel like in the stories hurry to get somewhere else they leave behind a lot of the stuff we would want to see. 

Eric is still firmly in denial about how messed up he is over his "relationship" with Clare, which isn't helped by the mixed signals he is getting from everyone around him and society as a whole. They really threw the book at Clare I guess, and his mom is clearly aware of how wrong what Clare did was and how Eric has been hurt over it, but everyone in college seems to think that it was super cool that he slept with his teacher, even the stripper they hired started in on it when she was giving him a lap dance (which, ouch, no wonder he bolted) and when the girl he slept with first said she was first interested in him because she remembered him from the news story, and then the next time he saw her she was saying how she knew he was abused and wanted to put the breaks on things, he must have serious emotional whiplash. It must be so confusing, the law is saying this was bad but so much of society says that it was good, and Eric is still saying how he misses Clare and doesn't think she did anything wrong, but it seems pretty clear that he isn't doing well and even if he keeps trying to convince himself and around around him that he is just fine and this wasn't a big deal, its clear that it was a big deal and he really isn't fine. Especially when he went flying off that car and was laughing afterwards, that's beyond dumb college stuff, that moves much farther into self destructive behavior. Hopefully he finally goes to therapy. 

I know that actors are always older than the characters they play, but those frat boys looked like third year grad students more than undergrads. The music sure does set the time and place doesn't it? So much loud ass mid 00s party music all the time. 

I am certainly curious about what Clare is up to now. Has she realized the gravity of what she did, or is she still trying to downplay everything and pass the blame? Or is she just mad that everything blew up in her face? 

• Love 4

Well I don't have much sympathy for Eric after this episode.  Refusing any counseling.  Acting like a college frat boy douche, which given his choice of friends I don't think can be blamed on what happened.  

But at the end he redeemed himself a bit.  And a bit of sympathy about everybody asking him about it. 

That frat hough. ....just reminded me why for one second I never considered a frat in college.  Certainly glad I missed out on All that.  

Couldn't help but think when they said how these are the people who will be at your wedding, ......also your divorces, future legal appearances, hospitalizations for alcoholism, could even be your cell mates.  

I wasn't bothered by the time jump since he was a senior and about done by the end of last episude If she had just kept her mouth shut a few weeks longer until he was out of school, no one finds out and the whole outcome is different for her at least.  Not defending it or saying that would make it ok, but finding out after he is out vs when he is still in school is very different. 

• Love 6

I can't figure out when this is supposed to have taken place. Everyone has modern cell phones, but the music is 20 years old.

This was super uncomfortable to watch, and only further cemented how I feel about fraternities. Former frat guys I've known from work are the absolute worst.

• Love 8
18 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I assumed this was modern day, notbin the recent past. 

But I don't know much about music of the past 15 years so that part means nothing to me. 

The DMX song that was playing when they were driving in the jeep came out in 2000. I wasn’t sure if it was supposed to be actually playing or if it was just soundtrack music, but if it was playing (like if they were playing it in the jeep), I’d buy it - it’s exactly the kind of song that guys that bro-y would play. The song (“Clarity,” by Zedd) that was playing at the party before Eric hooked up with the girl came out in 2012 but I could see it being played at a party.

I’ve never thought that the show took place in any time other than the present.

• Love 7

This series was released in 2020 and takes place in present time, so why is the music so dated?  Generally party music is the current stuff unless it's a period piece.  It was all lost on me anyway because I don't listen to that kind of music.

Frat boys and Eric.  I hope he does leave the Omega Boys Frat House.  I was irritated by his mother being all motherly about his sexual abuse at dinner and the college girl doing the post-hookup shrink shit.  No wonder Eric might go off the rails.  I'm glad we got to see that Eric has been affected too, even if at least I had to sit through Pastel Supernova's stripper act.  I was going to say "we" had to sit through..., but then realized some people probably enjoyed it!

Edited by CrystalBlue
Added last sentence.
6 hours ago, bilgistic said:

I can't figure out when this is supposed to have taken place. Everyone has modern cell phones, but the music is 20 years old.

This was super uncomfortable to watch, and only further cemented how I feel about fraternities. Former frat guys I've known from work are the absolute worst.

The year is meant to be 2013. But, yes, some of the music is much older. They've played a few things that were popular when I was in high school in the 90's.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2

When Eric was looking online about Claire's trial the date in one of the articles was 2014.

I don't even know how much time passed. Eric was a senior in HS and now he is a freshman in college? Is that enough time for a trial and for Claire being at the verge of being released?

In any case, what it did for me is to show Eric more traumatized by the trial than by the actual relationship with Claire. He seems to feel guilty, not traumatized. Maybe because he is in denial but so far the writers have not given us much of  the immediate fallout.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, circumvent said:

When Eric was looking online about Claire's trial the date in one of the articles was 2014.

I don't even know how much time passed. Eric was a senior in HS and now he is a freshman in college? Is that enough time for a trial and for Claire being at the verge of being released?

In any case, what it did for me is to show Eric more traumatized by the trial than by the actual relationship with Claire. He seems to feel guilty, not traumatized. Maybe because he is in denial but so far the writers have not given us much of  the immediate fallout.

Eric said she took a plea deal (as she should have, IMO) so there was no trial. He also says she wouldn’t have done any time if not for the running away together thing, so I assume her sentence was fairly lenient - she did it in county jail, not state prison.

Did not realize this was set in 2013!

Edited by Empress1
  • Love 5

The actor who plays Eric is so good at conveying emotion with just his eyes.  I really felt for him. He's getting the opposite of slut-shamed (which is what would probably happen to a girl if word got out about an affair with a male teacher), and it might be almost as bad for someone who is damaged to have to hear about it day in and day out. 

I hope he does leave the frat. Like the rest of you, I can't stand Frat Bro Douchebags. Ugh. 

I'm anxious for the next ep, and his "reunion" with Claire. 

• Love 11
On 12/8/2020 at 8:44 PM, bilgistic said:

I feel you on super uncomfortable. I was cringing so hard during Eric's lap dance that I had to fast forward until he ran out. And when that poor child climbed on that roof, I knew he'd wind up in a tree somewhere. I was just relieved he wasn't paralyzed. 

Edited by andreamf15
  • Love 4

Frat Boy Bro Douchebags are ..douchebags, but when I was 19 and a sophomore in college, there was nothing quite like a frat party in a basement, drinking hairy buffalo from a cup I brought myself, dancing to OPP and making out with one of those randos in someone's bedroom. 

Watching that made me remember all of my inappropriate and high risk behavior. I did those things to test the bounds of adulthood, to experience life outside the confines of my parents rules, to explore my own sexuality. Eric is doing it to escape, to hide from what's going on with him, and to fill that empty hole.

And the way the other guys are treating him, with the "woman as conquest" mentality that seems to happen with men gather, it's just awful and heartbreaking. 

• Love 6

I’m glad they’re finally showing how this affected him, by first acting with major risk-taking, uber-douche bro behavior and then freaking out and leaving the frat party. You can finally see how this is fucking him up and the consequences for both of them. 

• Love 3