Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E02: Paris is for Lovers, Not Mothers

• Start Topic

I feel bad that Douglas has to work on the factory floor and make minimum wage. Talk about a demotion. I get what the mom was going for, but then shouldn't she have done the same to Christina? And Bob, if she wanted to be unbiased, but he's the only one who works so I could see why he would be exempt. 

• Love 2
6 hours ago, jewel21 said:

I feel bad that Douglas has to work on the factory floor and make minimum wage. Talk about a demotion. I get what the mom was going for, but then shouldn't she have done the same to Christina? And Bob, if she wanted to be unbiased, but he's the only one who works so I could see why he would be exempt. 

She probably would do the same for Christina if Christina had the temerity to ask for a promotion and raise for sitting around playing with a VR headset all day. 

• Love 8
7 hours ago, jewel21 said:

I get what the mom was going for, but then shouldn't she have done the same to Christina? And Bob, if she wanted to be unbiased, but he's the only one who works so I could see why he would be exempt. 

I don't understand why she lumps Bob with Christina and Douglas. I mean Bob is the only one who is running the company imho.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, greekmom said:

So Kemi is going to be a sub for Chukwuemeka's mom? LoL that's going to backfire.

Matt Jones (Douglas) looks like he's lost a ton of weight.

I think the plan will work, but  she will not be able to keep it up. And it is understandable if she  doesn't want to be loved for impersonating someone else as opposed to being herself.

56 minutes ago, DoYouLikeMutton said:

A mediocre episode at best.  Maybe too many story lines going on, all half-baked. The best part of this episode was the Corvette, imho.

We really could have done without the Kofu / Goodwin scenes. They were so dumb. Like what is the point?

• Love 1

This episode, starring the Corvette, the true hero. 

Kind of a boring episode, but it was nice having a plot with Bob and Abishola have a plot with minimal conflict between them besides the upcoming problems with getting her divorce. 

Its not really fair of Dottie to lump Bob in with Christina and Douglas as her nepotism cases, as while he did inherit the job from his parents, he certainly does a lot of work and is basically running the company on his own. Hell, I would put Douglas over Christina as far as employees, he at least tries sometimes. 

• Love 5
6 hours ago, greekmom said:

I don't understand why she lumps Bob with Christina and Douglas. I mean Bob is the only one who is running the company imho

I too have 3 adult kids who vary in ways similar to Dottie’s, and her ways of dealing with them make sense to me, although I don’t have a sock company. 

• Love 1

I dunno if i am watching a different show then you guys .. it was funny and I was entertained it was a nice break from shoving Covid down our throats (which is real and scary but I don't watch this show for that)  or the election or a myriad of other things going on in the world that some other shows are putting in...  I watch these sitcoms to escape from reality ( i get enough of reality day to day) and this show is doing it for me  ... and Bob obviously loves Abishola the way she is why would he need to change her?

Edited by Keywestclubkid
  • Love 12

I knew the family had a few dollars but didn't realize they had so much Douglas could have a job that didn't increase revenue but still got paid enough to own a Vette. If he were in sales, sure, but wasn't he HR?

Glad the women called Kemi out for her self-centeredness, but I didn't find it very funny that she'd rather imitate his mother than work to make their relationship his priority (in general; taking the mother to Paris was sweet and the right thing. That he was afraid to tell Kemi says a lot.)

I got confused with the cake and the dream and the stuff with the sister. I feel like I missed a few episodes.

I like Abishola. Maybe because I see some of her in me. I don't consider myself joyless, but I'm not exuberant either. And I'm definitely glad they are living in a non-covid bubble. Enough shows are trying to tackle it. I can use a few that aren't. 

8 minutes ago, Kiddvideo said:

I got confused with the cake and the dream and the stuff with the sister. I feel like I missed a few episodes.

So before the sister went to inpatient therapy she was chasing after Kofu. He was nice to her and she baked him a cake that "looked" like him. He was in the awkward position of trying to fend off someone way higher than he on the food chain. Apparently she got under his skin as there was a bit of dialogue about him showing up there and he was trying to get her out of his system by doing the ritual with the soap. Then he had a dream about her and thought he needed to repeat the ritual again. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Kiddvideo said:

I knew the family had a few dollars but didn't realize they had so much Douglas could have a job that didn't increase revenue but still got paid enough to own a Vette. If he were in sales, sure, but wasn't he HR?

That's a valid point about do-nothing Douglas having a Corvette. Maybe he is making payments on it and only got the loan because of the sock company.
Or maybe they have other money from having bought AT&T or IBM when they were cheap. 
Or maybe it's just one of those nonsensical comedy bits that makes no sense.

• Love 3

Yeah it was an OK episode but am I the only one who didn't like it that Kemi was left out of a Paris trip in favor of mom?  We already know that Chukwuemeka is too attached to his mother.  And it was funny but I do feel sad for her that she has to imitate his mother to get his attention.  It's always the woman that makes the effort in these situations when the guy is the one that needs to grow up.  So I'm just not feeling that.

8 hours ago, Kiddvideo said:

I'm taking it that he's the typical kid from a family that owns a business in that he basically gets paid handsomely for doing nothing and spends his money on extravagant vanity items, like sports cars, etc.  I have known my share of people just like this!  They were illustrating this point in the beginning of his scene in the office when he's playing virtual reality games.  That's really not that far from the truth!

Ongoing nitpick:  Christine Ebersole really needs to remember which side of her face is "frozen" from episode to episode because she keeps alternating back and forth between sides.  Jeez, she had ONE JOB, LOL. 🙄

• Love 5
48 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

Yeah it was an OK episode but am I the only one who didn't like it that Kemi was left out of a Paris trip in favor of mom?  We already know that Chukwuemeka is too attached to his mother.  And it was funny but I do feel sad for her that she has to imitate his mother to get his attention.  It's always the woman that makes the effort in these situations when the guy is the one that needs to grow up.  So I'm just not feeling that.

I thought Kemi said that she wasn't even that interested in Chupacabra. Why does she feel that she has to change her entire personality to be with him. Kemi should invite Chewbacca to her place sometime so that she could influence his behavior without the shadow of his mother looming all the time, maybe even invite him to stay there every once in a while.

• LOL 1
1 hour ago, AnimeMania said:

I thought Kemi said that she wasn't even that interested in Chupacabra. Why does she feel that she has to change her entire personality to be with him. Kemi should invite Chewbacca to her place sometime so that she could influence his behavior without the shadow of his mother looming all the time, maybe even invite him to stay there every once in a while.

She just said that to seem strong. At other moments back in S1 there were glimpses of her being desperate for love.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

I agree with @Harvey on this that she was just feigning being strong and not so into him when in reality she's too desperate for love to do that.  Also I'm sure it's not lost on her that a hot catch like him is "out of her league", or at least that's how she feels about it, so she'd be more likely to bend herself into a pretzel to stay with him.

But I am ROTFL at you calling him "Chewbacca" as that's what Mr. Yeah No has been calling him, LOLOL.  Thanks for the laugh, we didn't even think of "Chupacabra"!

• Love 1
On 11/23/2020 at 10:17 PM, AnimeMania said:

Abishola seems as much fun as a bag of wet laundry. Don't marry her until she gets an attitude adjustment.

I go back-and-forth on this point. It's a given that immigrants from some nations often adopt stoic attitudes, but I see very little joy in Abishola. As someone roughly the same age as Bob, I'd want someone that brought a little sparkle and lightness in my life.

On 11/24/2020 at 3:12 PM, Keywestclubkid said:

I dunno if i am watching a different show then you guys .. it was funny and I was entertained it was a nice break from shoving Covid down our throats (which is real and scary but I don't watch this show for that)  or the election or a myriad of other things going on in the world that some other shows are putting in...  I watch these sitcoms to escape from reality ( i get enough of reality day to day) and this show is doing it for me 

Totally agree. Too many shows this season came right out of the gate tackling COVID and BLM for my taste. We really needed sitcoms (especially) and dramas to be an escape from the horror show that has been 2020. Plus, when these shows get recycled in syndication we'll all have to be reminded of what a crap-fest this year has been. 😔

• Love 3

I like Abishola's personality. She has a very dry sense of humor, but she's not unfunny. She's an adult, not a wild party girl. Bob would not be able to keep up with a 20 year old who wants to dance all night, and he gets all the drama he can handle from his siblings.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, possibilities said:

I like Abishola's personality. She has a very dry sense of humor, but she's not unfunny. She's an adult, not a wild party girl. Bob would not be able to keep up with a 20 year old who wants to dance all night, and he gets all the drama he can handle from his siblings.

Sitting silently in the car after telling somebody not to talk to you, usually occurs at the end of the date, not at the start.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, possibilities said:

Yes: "dry sense of humor." That's why I like her too. And clearly Bob does, which is all that matters. 

In the middle of one of our last arguments (20+ years ago) I burst out with: "Your father makes my mother look like Mother Theresa!"
If my ex could have gotten the joke and laughed, maybe we'd still be married. 
Abishola is much more subtle and subdued, but it's still that dry humor.

• Love 4
On 11/27/2020 at 3:44 PM, AnimeMania said:

Sitting silently in the car after telling somebody not to talk to you, usually occurs at the end of the date, not at the start.

Maybe I'm just the sort of person who appreciates being able to be quiet together, especially after a long day. 

• Love 5

One of the things I love most about Bob and Abishola is how they are not the typical hot 20/30-something romance that you usually see in comedy. There’s a reserve and dignity in Abishola that is unusual and refreshing and makes it even all the more wonderful when the actress gives you a glimpse beyond that exterior. I don’t wonder Bob is bowled over by her, I am too. And Billy E. usually plays loud brash characters, so it’s a treat to watch him play someone more quiet and refined. (Larger men usually get typecast in that role so I appreciate he gets to be a well-dressed and successful businessman too.) It’s precisely the low-key nature of their relationship that makes them intriguing, for me.

• Love 8