Type keyword(s) to search

S12.E08: Finals 2

• Start Topic

I kind of got the feeling that Gil wasn’t giving it all in his power tower run with Flex. She’s the best female ninja no doubt but she’s never done a power tower nor is she a fast ninja anyway. He probably had a bit of a strategy there.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
13 minutes ago, Conotocarious said:

I kind of got the feeling that Gil wasn’t giving it all in his power tower run with Flex. She’s the best female ninja no doubt but she’s never done a power tower nor is she a fast ninja anyway. He probably had a bit of a strategy there.

Agree, I'm glad Daniel didn't just flat out humiliate her. A woman would never be able to compete with a guy on the power tower, as much as I hate to say it (as a woman). The people who make it there are the best and fastest anyway. Jesse made it there because she is fantastic on obstacles, but you're right that she's not famous for speed. Same reason Najee didn't stand a chance.

• Love 5

Well, Daniel Gill wasn't my favorite, but I'm happy to see he was such a fan of Community. 6 seasons and a movie!

Speed was never Flex's forte, but that would've been a problem in the usual Vegas setup as well when they move to a limited clock. Often times when she failed she probably could've finished the stage if not for the dwindling clock.

• Love 4
(edited)

I still HATE the Power Tower, and in particular I hate it as the determiner of the winner this season.  I found all those super-quick 30 second runs just annoying, and it's so condensed visually that you can't figure out who's ahead.  It's not that it doesn't take skill to do it, I'd just have preferred something closer to a stage of a normal finals course.

Other than the finals, I found the rest of the season very enjoyable.

Edited by Quilt Fairy
  • Love 2
10 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

A woman would never be able to compete with a guy on the power tower,

Specifically the part of the 'tower' that is a rope climb.  Two hands, no feet or ankles....

Let's talk about the weight of the human butt.  For a super slim but muscular guy, he gets a real boost when swinging from something.  But women seem never to be that slim.  Nor are all men.  Nor is Daniel Gil and this may be his weakness. He's a big man, but when swinging through the air, he just needs to use more muscles to swing like a pendulum; some of the younger skinnier guys made it through the ?second obstacle by bouncing from one to the next to the next without even personally powering up.  They had enough momentum that they didn't need to add to it.   Heavier ninjas needed the swing to get from one hanger to the next. 

Or they need to build courses that have at least one obstacle that plays to female strengths, like balance or stamina. 🙂  

Still a good season, though, and I'm very happy at the progress women ninjas have made in the past few years.  

• Love 4
6 hours ago, SophiaD said:

Or they need to build courses that have at least one obstacle that plays to female strengths, like balance or stamina. 🙂  

Bingo. The sport of ninja, as it is, is designed to favor men. It is heavily skewed to reward pound-for-pound upper body and grip strength.

9 HOURS AGO,  SOPHIAD SAID: 

Or they need to build courses that have at least one obstacle that plays to female strengths, like balance or stamina. 🙂  

Bingo. The sport of ninja, as it is, is designed to favor men. It is heavily skewed to reward pound-for-pound upper body and grip strength.

Well, similar complaints were voiced on shows like Survivor and Big Brother and they changed some of the competitions to reflect those "female" advantages.  And guess what?  Frat guys STILL won them.  

Ugh, I was really rooting against Gil. He's just yucky and annoying. For me it was "ANYONE BUT HIM" so of course it was him. Not that I was majorly surprised or anything - as much as it pains me to admit it, he's good. Probably the best now that Pervert is gone. (Though I don't acknowledge him as the current champion or anything since this was a special season.) 

Because I am curious though, I do wonder how far Pervert got in the finals. Hoping that Sasukepedia - or someone - will do some digging. 

Minus the winner, I did like what they did with the finals. This season felt like a breath of fresh air, tbh. That's not to say I don't want the regular season back, I do, but I'm glad we got something. 

ETA: Well, after reading this on Reddit, I like Gil winning even less (though I appreciate him for asking a rerun). Like, come on. You can't just make up rules the halfway through! 

"In the Rayl vs Reale power tower, Adam did that move at the end where he connected the last shelf to the dismount and nobody said a word. But apparently he did the same move in his next race and actually beat Daniel, but then production told him it wasn't allowed because of some rule saying you need to pull the shelf down all the way before you advanced?? Because of this they went to a rerun which is the race they ended up showing, and this second race was so close that Daniel actually asked for a rerun but production said no and just gave him the win."

Edited by Rosenrot
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, Rosenrot said:

"In the Rayl vs Reale power tower, Adam did that move at the end where he connected the last shelf to the dismount

Can someone describe what he did?  I can't picture what that means.

14 hours ago, SophiaD said:

Still a good season, though, and I'm very happy at the progress women ninjas have made in the past few years.  

There’s at least one balance obstacle in every ninja course, I think. Not sure how you put in a stamina obstacle.

The reality is that there really should be a separate competition designed for women. 

Not really trying to be the mask police, but I found it a bit jarring to see Daniel Gil and his wife wandering unmasked around the house they were considering buying, while the real estate agent with them was all masked up.

Edited by Rickster
  • Love 1
25 minutes ago, mlp said:

Can someone describe what he did?  I can't picture what that means.

Basically that he barely laid hands on the last dropping column before quickly dismounting to the platform at the end. You may have heard of the phrase "chaining laches" where you can just jump straight from bar to bar without swinging. Some competitors did that with the second obstacle of the finals (those bouncy bars).

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

Basically that he barely laid hands on the last dropping column before quickly dismounting to the platform at the end.

Thanks.  In other words, he somehow was quick enough to get past it without waiting for the drop sounds like.  I didn't realize that's "illegal."  Daniel looked like he was in tears for a moment right after he finished.  I wonder if he felt bad about winning that way.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, mlp said:

Thanks.  In other words, he somehow was quick enough to get past it without waiting for the drop sounds like.  I didn't realize that's "illegal."  Daniel looked like he was in tears for a moment right after he finished.  I wonder if he felt bad about winning that way.

It makes no sense that it's illegal, people won the power tower by doing that last season! Glad Daniel has the integrity to see how messed up that is. 

• Love 4
On 11/7/2020 at 10:40 PM, SophiaD said:

Or they need to build courses that have at least one obstacle that plays to female strengths, like balance or stamina.

On 11/8/2020 at 4:51 AM, ClareWalks said:

I personally would loooove to see the ninjas run a course that is kind of a reverse of the current types they build - instead of two balance obstacles, three upper body and the warped wall, they could do two upper body, three balance (and I don't mean the floating steps either) and the warped wall. I bet the finishers list would look A LOT different!

No word that I found about how “he” did.  I love thinking that he must have fallen on something during the finals.

the only reason I think Gil and girlfriend were not wearing masks was that production didn’t want them to while filming.

Have we ever found out how NBC dealt with the pervert in editing the finals? I guess he went out early? Because if not I don’t see how they could have covered it up this time since they couldn’t use the “top N women” trick to hide what happened?