Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E16: Highway to Hell

• Start Topic

On 10/31/2020 at 4:11 AM, RealReality said:

I love Quaylon's mom.  She seems to have built a nice little life out in Texas and while I appreciate that Quaylon wants to keep his word to Shavel, I dont think she should have ever put him in the position to be in an insta-family the minute he got off of a 12 year stretch.  That is her son and she need to try to steer him to what she feels is right, and I agree with her.  Staying in Kansas City, where he got into trouble is a bad idea.  Living off of Shavel is a bad idea.  The pressure of an insta-family is a bad idea.

Me too. I liked that she connected him with someone who could help him learn a trade. I think he needs to build his own life away from where he got in trouble rather than jumping into this instant family with Shavel. And I agree with the person who said Shavel knows he won’t come back, and IMO she shouldn’t. Nobody told her to spend all that money on a truck he can’t even drive - in fact, she was expressly warned against it.

• Love 7
4 hours ago, sempervivum said:

The Heather we're seeing in the talking head segments-plain brown soccer mom hair and no makeup-has to be 'Heather on her meds', right?

She is a really hard-looking woman, either way.

• Love 9

Tyrice made me laugh when his new girlfriend said she had been in prison and he was like “They’re gonna think I only date jailbirds!” I laughed in part because that’s totally what I was thinking.

• LOL 8
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, OnceSane said:

Twins on the 90 Day Fiance franchise.  They stay dressed for the club...and have had more plastic surgery than Kim Kardashian.

Those two stay looking like cheap Eurotrash.  But in fairness to them, it appeals to the men they want to date, who are also Eurotrash.  

I never even know what club they are trying to get in to.  The other day I watched Darcy teeter around in a polyester tracksuit, which I thought was the best looking thing she owned, until they did a wide shot and I could see that the tracksuit had exaggerated bellbottoms and she had paired it with a pair of kitten heels.  Sometimes I think they are just trolling me with these outfits.  And who the hell is buying a large cammo jacket that looks like something a homeless person would get from the Salvation Army.  Its all so confusing.  

Back on topic.  I wonder if Heather spends all that time doing her makeup to hide meth pockmarks.  In in interviews, she has the meth skin pockmarks and it looks awful.  I wonder if she was just starting to get back into some drug when she was doing the show and she didn't yet look as horrible as she does in her interviews.  Its one thing just to have bad skin from acne or whatever, but I've watched plenty of meth documentaries and those pock marks are distinctive.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

Folks,

We understand there are many posters who watch both 90 Day Fiance and Love After Lockup.  However, it's not everyone.  So please make sure your post is about LAL when on this forum.  A little cross over chat is fine, but only speaking about 90DF adds unnecessary confusion. We have enough clueless chucklefucks on LAL.  We don't need to import then from elsewhere.  Thanks!

• LOL 9
  • Love 8
On 10/31/2020 at 2:24 PM, Auntie Anxiety said:

I couldn’t follow the Tyrice—Not Caitlyn Jenner dinner theater conversation because I kept asking myself, “Wait, is he eating something? Or is he just chewing on a toothpick? Is he doing both? Are my eyes deceiving me? Why can’t I stop looking at his mouth? What the hell?”

I could not stop looking at the toothpick.  He seemed to drink and eat with that thing still in his mouth.  Yuck!

• LOL 6
  • Love 1

What a lovely day for a picnic outside the courthouse!

Unbelievable that Dylan is not yet 24 hours out of prison, and their entire storyline apparently is condensed in hours, not months like the rest of the cast. Though, each hour with Heather must feel like months of your life flittering away—well, more like careening off a cliff. Maybe she helped Dylan’s time on the inside fly by—but he realizes he’s going to end up dead or back in jail by week’s end with her. Poor guy needs the camera crew to save him, but they’re all too petrified by Heather to know what to do. Aunt Diane, please send help!

I see that everyone was as fascinated as I was by Tyrice’s ability to chomp on a toothpick and pasta at the same time. How does he not end up with a throat full of splinters?! The man lives on the edge; he might be a good match for Heather.

• LOL 12
  • Love 1

I am pretty sure each moment with Heather has Dylan's life flashing before his eyes.  Maybe this will turn him around - he'll have what seems like a death bed conversion to reform his life and not get arrested for the 35th time. 

It hit me that this is the second time Tyrice has been seen eating chicken with a woman.  Does he think a chicken dinner is a pass to "tear [her] ass up"? And the big question, does he take the toothpick out of his mouth during sex or is it his magical talisman that gives him sex machine powers? 

• LOL 8
  • Love 1
41 minutes ago, PrincessPurrsALot said:

And the big question, does he take the toothpick out of his mouth during sex or is it his magical talisman that gives him sex machine powers? 

Oliver Peck, a well-known tattoo artist and judge on Inkmasters, is also addicted to toothpicks.  His girlfriend says he takes it out while they're making out or having sex, but then he puts it back in AND HE SLEEPS WITH IT IN HIS MOUTH!!!!

• LOL 1
1 hour ago, AZChristian said:

Oliver Peck, a well-known tattoo artist and judge on Inkmasters, is also addicted to toothpicks.  His girlfriend says he takes it out while they're making out or having sex, but then he puts it back in AND HE SLEEPS WITH IT IN HIS MOUTH!!!!

Sounds like an oral fixation.  Maybe these guys are bi-curious lol.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
On 11/1/2020 at 12:43 PM, Empress1 said:

Me too. I liked that she connected him with someone who could help him learn a trade. I think he needs to build his own life away from where he got in trouble rather than jumping into this instant family with Shavel. And I agree with the person who said Shavel knows he won’t come back, and IMO she shouldn’t. Nobody told her to spend all that money on a truck he can’t even drive - in fact, she was expressly warned against it.

It kinda broke my heart when Quanto said he'd consider barbaring as a side job, that he wanted to work in the music industry for his *real* job.  He was in jail during all his formative years and I think truly believes he has the talent to become a rapper who can earn enough money rapping to live on.  He said at one point when asked who had done his fancy braiding and he said he'd done it himself.  There's money to be made braiding like that, in elaborate patterns, and I hate to see him turn up his nose at it.  He could work out of his mother's house (or Shovel's house), even, doing freelance hair work, while he pursued his career in music.

Poor guy. He lost so much in jail.

• Love 12
2 hours ago, Mothra said:

He was in jail during all his formative years and I think truly believes he has the talent to become a rapper who can earn enough money rapping to live on

In some areas rap or the NBA are the twin career goals.  But just a tiny percentage can achieve those so it’s really cruel.

Are those prison-issue glasses Quaylon wears?  I saw in some of his ITMs this week he had more modern, flattering ones.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, Mothra said:

He said at one point when asked who had done his fancy braiding and he said he'd done it himself.  There's money to be made braiding like that, in elaborate patterns, and I hate to see him turn up his nose at it.

Yes - if he was really keeping up his locs like that himself, he's got talent. HIs locs are the same size (meaning they were created, not just "I didn't wash or comb my hair and this is what happened"), he's clearly retwisting his new growth, it didn't look like he has any breakage ... Specializing in dreadlocks is a valuable skill.

• Love 8
17 hours ago, Mothra said:

Poor guy. He lost so much in jail.

While I agree that on the face of it, 12 years is a ridiculously long sentence for simple armed robbery for a 17 year old kid, I wonder if there was a lot of money and/or serious violence involved? Or possibly, a concerning record of prior/juvenile criminal behavior?

17 hours ago, PrincessPurrsALot said:

We've had a few aspiring rappers on the show.  I think some folks sign up for it hoping for visibility for their career.  At the same time, Quaylon mentioned music; he has not said in what capacity he would be in that field. 

Lamar is the only person with an expressed interest (throughout all these reality show singers and rappers) who might have the personality to make it work only because I think he and Andrea are ripe for a spin off show. 

I've heard that most rappers and musicians make their money from touring and not from recording an album because record companies get most of that money and digital streaming services have made music much cheaper to listen to.  

If true, being a rapper or a singer is even more of a pipe dream.  I think Lamar is funny and he can make more money being hilarious than he can being a 40 year old rapper.  Quaylon isn't particularly personable, so I think this show is going to be the end of his time on reality TV.  He is what, 30?  Not an impossible age to become a rapper or singer, but it jut seems like a bad idea.  

• Love 2
15 hours ago, Empress1 said:

Yes - if he was really keeping up his locs like that himself, he's got talent. HIs locs are the same size (meaning they were created, not just "I didn't wash or comb my hair and this is what happened"), he's clearly retwisting his new growth, it didn't look like he has any breakage ... Specializing in dreadlocks is a valuable skill.

Its valuable and I don't know that it requires much licensing since the products used on the hair are generally non-caustic and are natural.  If he put his nose to the grindstone, he might be able to be a complementary player in the music industry helping to do locs on a tour.  

• Love 1
3 hours ago, sempervivum said:

While I agree that on the face of it, 12 years is a ridiculously long sentence for simple armed robbery for a 17 year old kid, I wonder if there was a lot of money and/or serious violence involved? Or possibly, a concerning record of prior/juvenile criminal behavior?

The fact that it was an *armed* robbery probably added a mandatory length of time to his sentence.  My pity isn't for the fact that he was punished for his crime--especially a crime where a gun was involved--but for the fact that for whatever reason he didn't have a normal growing up experience.  My pity is for the guy he turned out to be, not for his serving time, no matter whose fault it was--and I'm assuming it was his fault.

It's like feeling bad for a young man who had a stroke due to his illegal drug use.  He brought it on himself by doing something he shouldn't have done, but nevertheless he is left in a pitiable condition.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, sempervivum said:

Most likely a plea deal down from more serious offenses.

On 11/2/2020 at 8:11 PM, MrBuhBye said:

In some areas rap or the NBA are the twin career goals.  But just a tiny percentage can achieve those so it’s really cruel.

There is indeed a cruelty in allowing or even encouraging these kids to think they have what it takes, when the people who are successful don't just start with a burning desire and some degree of talent.  For every LeBron there are ten thousand schoolyard basketball stars who wow their friends and families, but don't have the inborn talent, the physical gifts, and the desire that makes them work at their craft for unimaginable hours to get where they are.  You can't just want it desperately and excel at it in your own little world; you've got to drive yourself and you have to work to get into position to be noticed by people who can help you achieve your best.  This is close to impossible for 99.9% of us, no matter in what area of life our dreams lie.

I got to sit close to the court and watch Martina Navratilova do her thing when she was in her late 50s, as was I.  Holy shit.  She and I were from different planets.

Maybe 50 years ago Esquire magazine published full-size photos of the relevant body parts of top-flight athletes.  Mohammed Ali's fist covered a two-page spread.

• Love 6
3 minutes ago, Mothra said:

There is indeed a cruelty in allowing or even encouraging these kids to think they have what it takes, when the people who are successful don't just start with a burning desire and some degree of talent.  For every LeBron there are ten thousand schoolyard basketball stars who wow their friends and families, but don't have the inborn talent, the physical gifts, and the desire that makes them work at their craft for unimaginable hours to get where they are.  You can't just want it desperately and excel at it in your own little world; you've got to drive yourself and you have to work to get into position to be noticed by people who can help you achieve your best.  This is close to impossible for 99.9% of us, no matter in what area of life our dreams lie.

And everything you've said about the hard work and talent required to be in professional sports goes just as much for people who think the music they're singing along with on the radio is how THEY sound, not the artist who recorded the song.  Lots of people can carry a tune, but few have that extra something that makes crowds of people want to pay to hear them.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 3