Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
AnimeMania

Soulmates

“Soulmates” premieres Monday, October 5th at 10 pm on AMC.

AMC’s ‘Soulmates’ Is Smartest When Not Trying to Be ‘Black Mirror’: TV Review

A 6 episode anthology series on AMC, already renewed for a 2nd season. 

"What would it mean if someone is 'destined' for you?

Would the relationships before count for nothing?

Does true love equal true happiness?"

What if there were a scientific test that could accurately identify the person you'd love most in your life? In the not-too-distant future, this is a possibility.

Episode 1: Watershed     Airdate: October 5, 2020

Sarah Snook (“Succession”) and Kingsley Ben-Adir (“High Fidelity”) as Nikki and Franklin, a couple that’s been married since they met in college and quickly — perhaps too quickly — became each other’s everything. 15 years later, they’re living in a world in which they have to go to a new soulmate wedding every weekend, Nikki finds herself helplessly furious at the fact that her stable marriage has become a relic. She was happy, she thinks. But now, as seemingly everyone around her starts taking the test and finding their ideal partner, she can’t be so sure. The ensuing hour, anchored by a terrific Snook performance, is painful and revealing, finding pockets of devastating insight tucked away in the dark corners neither Nikki nor Franklin have addressed in years. The soulmate test is the instigator, but the intimate drama of them poking the tender bruise of their marriage is as real as it gets.

Episode 2: The Lovers    Airdate: October 12, 2020

Episode 3: Little Adventures    Airdate: October 19, 2020

Explore the already nebulous world of online dating and open relationships which, yes, both still exist in this world brimming over with paired-up soulmates. Libby (Laia Costa) and Adam (Shamier Anderson) get a jolt when Libby’s soulmate turns up — and, despite her always identifying as straight beforehand, is a woman. The complex give and take between Libby, Adam and Miranda (Georgina Campbell) takes all their wants and needs seriously, and the ways in which they resolve their conflicts proves a refreshing surprise.

Episode 4: Layover    Airdate: October 26, 2020

Follow Mateo (Bill Skarsgård) and Jonah (Nathan Stewart-Jarrett) as they race through Mexico to find Mateo’s stolen passport so he can get on an early flight the next day to meet his soulmate, a handsome finance advisor who promises a stable life of normalcy that Mateo may or may not actually want. The episode, written by Evan Placey, doesn’t even need its central high stakes chase (nor the frankly stereotypical depiction of Mexico as a backdrop). Skarsgård and Stewart-Jarrett are so charming together as two wayward souls finding each other that they could easily fuel an entire romantic comedy film all their own.

Episode 5: Break on Through    Airdate: November 2, 2020

Episode 6: The (Power) Ballad of Caitlin Jones    Airdate: November 9, 2020

This is an interesting concept and the first episode did the drama and the tragedy of it really well.  Would you take the test if you were already years into a marriage?  If you had kids?  A life?   Is it actually better to be with someone who is your soulmate or A relationship you have to build from the ground up?  Episode 1 dealt really well with a woman in a mid life crisis and the idea that maybe she picked the wrong guy.   The tragedy was that even if she decided not to see who her soul mate was her husband took the test as well.  It was a very bittersweet ending that should have been a happy one to finding your soulmate. 

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Like 3

Did the Lady have a job? The Lady spent very little time with the kids and the things that they did together didn't really include the kids. It was like the kids were looming large, but not really a factor.

The Lady said that finding your soulmate is selfish, especially if you are deeply connected to other people. If you have family, a spouse, children, are you willing to upend their lives to make yourself happy. Sometimes the person you are soulmates with are not in the same country. What if you don't even speak the same language? What if your soul mate is happily married (why would happily married people take the test, maybe they took it years ago) and you are not. What if your soulmate is the same gender as you, dead, in prison, a very horrible person, or extremely famous. Would an extremely famous person be willing to settle down with a single person or would they enjoy playing the field. I don't think this show would be skillful enough to tackle these weighty subjects in an enlightening and entertaining manner. There are some interesting possibilities that can be explored, but I don't think they will be able to get there.

The first episode was pretty sad.  The wife didn't seem to have a job and kept thinking the soulmates were 100% happy all the time.

Finding a soulmate seems too easy and you really don't have a foundation. Her brother married a stranger after 3 weeks,  who was already in a relationship.

I felt bad for the wife, who realized what she had way too late.  I wonder if people are obligated to partner with the soulmate, or can they just say "I'm good"?

• Like 2

I wanted to like this more than I did.  I didn't realize that each episode was going to be a different couple.  I think it's a really interesting premise with so many questions but having only one ep per couple doesn't really give enough time to flesh things out.  I'd also like to know more about the people that created the test and why?  Is the test Global?  Do you only have one soulmate and if so what if they don't take the test (or are dead) so you take the test and then you're told  - "hey, we found your soulmate they're perfect for you except that whole not alive thing" - what do you do then?  

Wannabe Black Mirror gone horribly wrong.

But it asked an interesting question.  Is your soulmate someone you feel chemistry with?  Or is your soulmate someone you build a relationship with?

Franklin and Nikki were married.  Both wanting something "more."  But what is that more?  BTW, what is the long term success rate of Soulmates?

Another thing.  If you were TOLD by research that someone was your soulmate, maybe you'd put more effort in the relationship. because you knew this was "it" and there was no one better.

@AnimeMania had some interesting questions, but I think the show asks the question, if this test provided you with your ULTIMATE soul mate, what would you do to be in such a relationship?

1 hour ago, Neurochick said:

Another thing.  If you were TOLD by research that someone was your soulmate, maybe you'd put more effort in the relationship. because you knew this was "it" and there was no one better.

I think that's the point they made with the brother. He'd never tried to stick it out before, but this time, he did, because he believed there was no better option for him out there. 

There are so many interesting things to explore about the premise. If done well, it could be fascinating. And if they explore the questions you asked, it could be fascinating. The acting was great, anyway.     

I had to watch this, as I don't believe in "soulmates," even though twenty-seven years ago, I, a flighty serial monogamist who didn't want to get married, looked up in a store, saw a man staring at me, dumbstruck, and I had the same immediate thought he'd had a second earlier, "Oh, there you are."  Hit me like a speeding truck. Got engaged after our third date and married three months later  All these years later, we're still goofy over each other. I think it's partly because, though we're aligned politically and morally, we are otherwise completely opposite in a way that works.  I'd love to see them explore how different partners in a happy relationship can be from That's something I'd like to see explored. You meet your soul mate and they're living a life you can't see yourself being part of. Or you can't relate to them at all. Moving to another country or leaving your marriage are big disruptions, but I'm thinking of all the different ways and reasons strong, loving relationships fail and picturing all kinds of stories they could tell.  

In the real world, someone would start a movement against soulmates and there would be conspiracy theorists, etc. Some people would make money from opposing the testing. I wonder if they'll include anything like that. The show's got me thinking, anyway.   

On 10/6/2020 at 11:53 AM, AnimeMania said:

Did the Lady have a job? The Lady spent very little time with the kids and the things that they did together didn't really include the kids. It was like the kids were looming large, but not really a factor.

The Lady said that finding your soulmate is selfish, especially if you are deeply connected to other people. If you have family, a spouse, children, are you willing to upend their lives to make yourself happy. Sometimes the person you are soulmates with are not in the same country. What if you don't even speak the same language? What if your soul mate is happily married (why would happily married people take the test, maybe they took it years ago) and you are not. What if your soulmate is the same gender as you, dead, in prison, a very horrible person, or extremely famous. Would an extremely famous person be willing to settle down with a single person or would they enjoy playing the field. I don't think this show would be skillful enough to tackle these weighty subjects in an enlightening and entertaining manner. There are some interesting possibilities that can be explored, but I don't think they will be able to get there.

People have done this for hundreds of years without a sci-fi test telling them who their "soulmate" is.

On 10/6/2020 at 7:36 PM, I Want My MBTV said:

I wanted to like this more than I did.  I didn't realize that each episode was going to be a different couple.  I think it's a really interesting premise with so many questions but having only one ep per couple doesn't really give enough time to flesh things out.  I'd also like to know more about the people that created the test and why?  Is the test Global?  Do you only have one soulmate and if so what if they don't take the test (or are dead) so you take the test and then you're told  - "hey, we found your soulmate they're perfect for you except that whole not alive thing" - what do you do then?  

Nikki's friend's soulmate was in Argentina, so yes.

On 10/7/2020 at 2:49 PM, Neurochick said:

Wannabe Black Mirror gone horribly wrong.

But it asked an interesting question.  Is your soulmate someone you feel chemistry with?  Or is your soulmate someone you build a relationship with?

Franklin and Nikki were married.  Both wanting something "more."  But what is that more?  BTW, what is the long term success rate of Soulmates?

@AnimeMania had some interesting questions, but I think the show asks the question, if this test provided you with your ULTIMATE soul mate, what would you do to be in such a relationship?

Nikki's brother spoke about this. He said he and his soulmate/new wife were having arguments but he was dedicated to working it out with her, as opposed to his previously short-lived relationships, because he knew she was "the one" for him.

Soulmates Episode 2: The Lovers    Airdate: October 12, 2020

SoulmatesSonyaCassidyBB-678x381.jpg

It started out very good and immediately turned into one of those crazy woman revenge stories. I didn't really like it because am not sure why this is related to Soul Connex except to prove that the concept of Soulmates might be a bunch of hooey. Women who hate a man with every fiber of their being need to stop getting revenge on the guy by sleeping with him. I would have much preferred to see that the woman was soulmates with the professor or if they needed a devious twist, found out that the woman was soulmates with the professor's wife and she ruined the professor's life, by setting him up with the student, so she could take her shot with his wife. The episode really didn't fit in with the theme of this anthology.

Yeah the Soulmates connection was very tenuous. Just an entry point to a story that could have been told in any other show.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

I would have much preferred to see that the woman was soulmates with the professor or if they needed a devious twist, found out that the woman was soulmates with the professor's wife and she ruined the professor's life, by setting him up with the student, so she could take her shot with his wife. The episode really didn't fit in with the theme of this anthology.

Agreed. I didn't like this one, either. Maybe I need to rewatch, but given the context of the show, this episode seemed like a one-off. Unless the point was to show us how flimsy the Soul Connex servers are that they can be hacked. Everything else was blah.

I thought that the woman she was in love with was David's wife as well. 

• Like 1

Really didn’t like this one at all. Other than showing the technology could be used to manipulate someone it just fell flat. I didn’t need another typical stupid “revenge” story. So many more interesting places they could explore in terms of this soulmates concept. And since this is only the second ep I think they ran the risk of viewers losing interest due to the weak cookie cutter element of this story. 

I thought it was going to be the father-in-law who set David up to lose both tenure and his wife.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Lovecat said:

I thought it was going to be the father-in-law who set David up to lose both tenure and his wife.

Same here. He made no bones about the fact that he did not like David, and was granting him tenure only because of his daughter. 

And honestly, as much as I'd like to get revenge for my sibling, I don't know about going as far as sleeping with ol dude. Also, how did she know he was up for tenure to show up right then? 

But I digress, this episode didn't really do anything for me. I liked the first episode better when it was about the actual relationships and the questions that the test being up in an already established couple.

On 10/13/2020 at 9:56 PM, Lovecat said:

Which is, I think, unethical. The nepotism I mean.

Edited by Starchild

Episode 3: Little Adventures    Airdate: October 19, 2020

I thought this was a much better episode, since I didn't have to constantly wonder what this had to do with Soulmates. The married couple seemed to already realize that something was missing from their marriage since they were already seeing other people in an open marriage. Now that they found their Soulmates, they can finally close their marriage. The new people pushed them to be more assertive and fulfilled in their lives at work and at home. I guess this was a positive result since everyone seems to be happier in the end.

This is certainly an interesting premise and series, though Episode 2 was a weird anomaly with the woman getting revenge instead of being soul mates. I haven’t seen Ep 3 yet