Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E08: Family Affair

• Start Topic

This was my favorite episode so far.  I appreciated the big reveal because I remember being surprised at how they captioned college with the accent that makes it a French word.  

So all those little things that made me go "hmm" were well explained with the twist ending. 

• Love 3
On 10/5/2020 at 6:51 PM, CarpeFelis said:

Having the guy turn out to be a teenager was cringeworthy enough, but having his mother quiz Emily on what sort of lover he was?! Yikes!

I did not understand the point of that scene at all.  Silly.

On 10/7/2020 at 2:33 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

I think she was comparing her son to her husband. Basically useless....but if he's a good lover and least he might be able to find a wealthy wife to support him.

• Love 2
On 10/7/2020 at 4:33 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

It was a reversal of expectations. You think the mother is going to be angry at Emily for sleeping with her teenaged son, but she's instead just curious about her kid's sex life.

58 minutes ago, methodwriter85 said:

It was a reversal of expectations. You think the mother is going to be angry at Emily for sleeping with her teenaged son, but she's instead just curious about her kid's sex life.

Yeah, I get that, considering that is very simple to get, but it was a weird, unfunny, not useful scene that the show didn't need and an odd diversion.  It also led nowhere.  And it's creepy.  I wonder if there's anyone French here who could answer if it was at all remotely realistic, or just another way to be like "The French, ew!"

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 1
On 10/15/2020 at 10:33 PM, HappyBerry said:

I think she was comparing her son to her husband. Basically useless....but if he's a good lover and least he might be able to find a wealthy wife to support him.

Ignoring everything else thats weird about that whole interaction, how many lads are good lovers at 17? That takes some practice. He looked just past the stage wer he's able to find his way into a girl without signposts.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, KatWay said:

while I found the episode super cringy in a lot of ways, I did chuckle at Gabriel's line: "Oh, we're all adults here. Except Timothée."

I just realized this is probably an homage to Call My By Your Name, wherein an adult in their 20's enters into an entanglement with a 17-year old. Hmm. 

This episode has my favorite scene in the series, the moment when it turns out Mindy's friends knew about her being a nanny and being cut off all along, and Mindy fully expects them to shun her, but they remain her friends without question, and they even try to help her realize her dreams. It was so beautiful.

Also, I just love the moments when Emily gets super tense and screams about something in that shrill voice. It happens a couple of times through the series and it is funny every time.

• Love 5
9 hours ago, Harvey said:

This episode has my favorite scene in the series, the moment when it turns out Mindy's friends knew about her being a nanny and being cut off all along, and Mindy fully expects them to shun her, but they remain her friends without question, and they even try to help her realize her dreams. It was so beautiful.

I liked that, too. I suppose it helps that she's from a wealthy family, and there might be a "there but for the grace of God" attitude with her friends. It's reasonable at least one of them is under similar pressure to toe the family line.

• Love 5

I absolutely loved that Mindy’s friends weren’t snobby and supported her decision staying a nanny in Paris while getting cut off, and then pushing her to sing. I agree that it’s been my favorite scene on this show because it was lovely hearing her sing while her friends were cheering her on and Emily watching with a big grin on her face.

Emily banging her friend’s teen brother was hilarious.

• Love 3

The brother reveal was hilarious and kind of saved the fact that Gabriel is starting to seem like a bit of a scumbag given how he’s clearly ready and willing to cheat on Camille with a girl she considers to be her friend.

• Love 1
On 11/16/2020 at 1:16 AM, sparkymcfly said:

I loved this episode. Getting to see the family chateau and the dynamics between everyone. Does anyone know the name of the eggplant dish they had for dinner? Just curious.

I don't think they explained it beyond calling it aubergine, which is the french word for eggplant.  I've not heard of anyone being allergic to eggplant before.  

another attempt to show that Emily doesn't know anything about french culture, not knowing that college is closer to high school.  

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Hanahope said:

I've not heard of anyone being allergic to eggplant before.  

It's part of the nightshade family, which includes tomatoes, potatoes, and peppers. It's a fairly common allergen group.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 9/6/2021 at 4:28 AM, sheetmoss said:

For those  that don't know,  an eggplant is  an emoji for penis

And when you buy an eggplant, look at its bottom.  If there is a round button, the eggplant is a male with fewer seeds.  If there is a longer slit, it's a bitter female eggplant.  (SERIOUSLY)

• Useful 1