Type keyword(s) to search

MAFS Social Media, Spoilers & Speculation

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, TwirlyGirly said:

Some DVRs offer the "Record Series with Options" choice in the recording menu. This allows you to set up a program to only record episodes airing on that channel and in that time slot (as opposed to "Any [channel or show time]"). If you use that in conjunction with the option for it to record new episodes only, that should eliminate the recording of episodes marked as "new," but that are actually repeats airing on a different day and time. Also in the "Record Series with Options" menu, there may also be an option called "Duplicates," which allows you to choose between "Yes," and "No." Selecting "No" will prevent the DVR from recording multiples of episodes with the same episode titles (if there is already an episode with that title recorded on the DVR). I always check that, too - for extra "insurance."

I haven't seen that exact option on my DVR but it wouldn't work  anyway because they change the title slightly on each "new" episode. By adding "Unfiltered" or "Extra" to the title, it comes across as a new episode despite being the same. In some cases, I can't even tell if they actually do include extra material because I can't see anything different!

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, Madding crowd said:

I haven't seen that exact option on my DVR but it wouldn't work  anyway because they change the title slightly on each "new" episode. By adding "Unfiltered" or "Extra" to the title, it comes across as a new episode despite being the same. In some cases, I can't even tell if they actually do include extra material because I can't see anything different!

I now delete all the "new episodes" recorded on Sunday because they are not new... the new episodes show up on Tuesday for me.  Ticks me off!  I have my DVR set to record "new" only as well.

It must be mind boggling to navigate a new relationship with a camera in your face all the time.  I cannot fathom that.  

I wish MAFS would do one or two older couples... say in their 50's.  Would they be more or less successful?  Just a thought.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, ctbabe said:

Did anyone watch the last part of unfiltered where Jaime was talking to Derek's friend. She said he stopped smoking after Heather complained. Why then are we calling him an addict? I am kind of confused.

I do not think he is an addict.  :-)

• Love 3

It might be interesting to see some older couples. They might try harder just because life experience shows that nothing is perfect and the grass isn't always greener. Then again we would get lots of "Eww-old people kissing. How awful" and that would just tick me off. 

• Love 7
1 minute ago, Madding crowd said:

It might be interesting to see some older couples. They might try harder just because life experience shows that nothing is perfect and the grass isn't always greener. Then again we would get lots of "Eww-old people kissing. How awful" and that would just tick me off. 

Ha!  I love seeing "old" people kissing.  It would tick me off too.  

• Love 5

It might be interesting to see some older couples. They might try harder just because life experience shows that nothing is perfect and the grass isn't always greener.

The thing I would dislike about older couples is that there would almost certainly be children involved.  I really hate it when people drag kids into reality shows.  90 Day Fiancee comes to mind.  Even if the kids are older, it is just painful to watch them watch their parents screw up their lives.

• Love 1

The friend is definitely on Derek's side (no shock there) but what surprised me is that Jamie was indeed the one who brought up that Derek stopped smoking after Heather complained.  Since it is pretty clear she is only asking what the producers want her to ask I think we can safely predict Heather is going to be the "bad" one in this relationship.  I also find it telling that everybody else has people being interviewed for Unfiltered--Heather is the only one who doesn't.  

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, henrysmom said:

The thing I would dislike about older couples is that there would almost certainly be children involved.  I really hate it when people drag kids into reality shows.  90 Day Fiancee comes to mind.  Even if the kids are older, it is just painful to watch them watch their parents screw up their lives.

I wish my mother would get married and she is 82. I know older people who have remarried and I think it is awesome.  It is the kids who are offended or worried about their inheritance.  I also think older people have every right to "screw up" just as much as the young peeps.  

As far as reality shows, the "kids" do not have to appear.  

• Love 5
7 minutes ago, henrysmom said:

I also find it telling that everybody else has people being interviewed for Unfiltered--Heather is the only one who doesn't.  

Yes, I noticed that too.  I wonder if Heather is done with the "experiment" and with the show.

• Love 4
8 minutes ago, Neurochick said:

Yes, I noticed that too.  I wonder if Heather is done with the "experiment" and with the show.

Wouldn't blame her. Sorry but the friend is going to say whatever on Derek's side. Doesn't mean its the truth either. Especially since he isn't going to be around them 24/7 and Derek can say what he wants to his buddy to come off a certain way and make her come off another way. Remember the Ashley situation and her friend....wasn't what it was but yet her friend was all over it blowing it up. I can not watch this show because of Jamie and how she overreacts and the obvious one sided BS she gives off but why are the friends being questioned at all about stuff? Do they even talk to the people that were married on the show? Curious since all I see so far are friends say this or that. 

• Love 1
37 minutes ago, Evil Queen said:

Wouldn't blame her. Sorry but the friend is going to say whatever on Derek's side.

I can see why Derek's friend would be on his "side" but why would a friend of family member of Heather's do that?  My point was that on Unfiltered, they have friends and/or family of everybody except Heather, and I wonder if that means she's done with this whole "experiment." 

• Love 2
25 minutes ago, Neurochick said:

I can see why Derek's friend would be on his "side" but why would a friend of family member of Heather's do that?  My point was that on Unfiltered, they have friends and/or family of everybody except Heather, and I wonder if that means she's done with this whole "experiment." 

According to Jamie, Heather wasn't available because of work but I don't want to believe none of her friends were available. 

• Love 2

Sorry but the friend is going to say whatever on Derek's side. 

What I found interesting was that <Jamie> clearly came down on Derek's side too--I'm assuming at producer prodding because Unfiltered is clearly production driven.  Heather is definitely getting the villain edit on the show.

I can not watch this show because of Jamie

I watch it with the closed captioning on and the sound off.  Makes it bearable.  

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Evil Queen said:

Wouldn't blame her. Sorry but the friend is going to say whatever on Derek's side. Doesn't mean its the truth either. Especially since he isn't going to be around them 24/7 and Derek can say what he wants to his buddy to come off a certain way and make her come off another way. Remember the Ashley situation and her friend....wasn't what it was but yet her friend was all over it blowing it up. I can not watch this show because of Jamie and how she overreacts and the obvious one sided BS she gives off but why are the friends being questioned at all about stuff? Do they even talk to the people that were married on the show? Curious since all I see so far are friends say this or that. 

I think they show them the episode and the friends give their opinion. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, henrysmom said:

What I found interesting was that <Jamie> clearly came down on Derek's side too--I'm assuming at producer prodding because Unfiltered is clearly production driven.  Heather is definitely getting the villain edit on the show.

I don't think the producers are telling Jaime what to say. Remember last season, even though they were Pro David, Jamie still questioned David on his sincerity abt the SMgate. 

According next week's episide guide, Derek and Heather faced a new challenge. I don't think it was the smoking saga. 

1 hour ago, ctbabe said:

According to Jamie, Heather wasn't available because of work but I don't want to believe none of her friends were available. 

Maybe they all saw last seasons mess and wanted no part of that bad editing mess and how they can make things come off in a way its not. Also not everyone wants to be all over the tv which is a reason for some I would bet as well. So who knows what is going on or if they were even asked in the end. 

1 hour ago, henrysmom said:

LOL about how you watch. I'm not surprised Jamie will come done on one side or the other. Which honestly its wrong for someone in her spot to do so. Yet she had sided right of the bat with Ashley last season as well. As ctbabe said questioned David as she had on the whole stupid texting thing. Never once questioning Ashley (as far as I know) on her coldness during the whole show. 

1 hour ago, ctbabe said:

I think they show them the episode and the friends give their opinion. 

Ok so if that is the case its really something to take with a grain of salt on what is said by friends. What a joke it is if that is how it is being done. 

• Love 2

I didn't watch Unfiltered last year but I find it interesting that the cast appeared on Unfiltered that season--I think I'm reading the comments above correctly.  The three episodes I've watched this season only show friends/family.  Maybe they'll pull the cast in later?

I do like Nick's mother more on Unfiltered than I have on the show.   She was every bad mother-in-law joke come to life on the show, but on Unfiltered she seems not only normal but supportive of both Nick and Sonia.

52 minutes ago, henrysmom said:

I didn't watch Unfiltered last year but I find it interesting that the cast appeared on Unfiltered that season--I think I'm reading the comments above correctly.  The three episodes I've watched this season only show friends/family.  Maybe they'll pull the cast in later?

I do like Nick's mother more on Unfiltered than I have on the show.   She was every bad mother-in-law joke come to life on the show, but on Unfiltered she seems not only normal but supportive of both Nick and Sonia.

Heather was in NY a week ago and she met up with Cortney. I am hoping they were able to film her unfiltered episode then. I am assuming thats why they ve been delaying the cast interviews. 

• Love 2
24 minutes ago, ctbabe said:

Heather was in NY a week ago and she met up with Cortney. I am hoping they were able to film her unfiltered episode then. I am assuming thats why they ve been delaying the cast interviews. 

Jamie would not have missed a promo opportunity so I doubt she filmed with Heather or it would be all over her social media. I think working was a convenient excuse for Heather not to film, that does not explain the lack of friends and family appearing.

• Love 2

It would be cool to see older people do this show BUT....

No creepster old farts that think they're 20, 

AND,

No women with so much plastic surgery that they look like aliens.

AND,

No huge age differences between the couples.  Cuz that's just icky.

Then I might watch it.

Edited by Paddywagon
  • Love 6

Since the Derek and Heather pairing has come up so much, it got me thinking.  First off, I do not see those two as a promising match at all and, for that matter, don't find either one of them very attractive, physically or otherwise.  As we've seen from past seasons of this show, the sheer number of applicants sometimes leads to the chosen few being picked for reasons other than suitability.  With that in mind, I wondered if Derek is related to Dr. Pepper Schwartz or to one of her ex-husbands (not sure if Schwartz is her maiden name or the name of one of her two ex-husbands).  I am aware, of course, that Schwartz is not exactly a rare or unusual surname.   ---apologies to the moderators if this question has already come up on the forum.

• Love 1

I've been okay with these Unfiltered things so far, but omg, tonight Jamie was unbearable. She did have that laugh-a-minute thing going on. Huge, open-mouth, head-thrown-back, loud laughing. And her over the top, wide-eyed enthusiasm is just so ridiculous. Ugh. Still, it's interesting to hear some background info from the participants and their friends and family.

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, BunnySlippers said:

I've been okay with these Unfiltered things so far, but omg, tonight Jamie was unbearable. She did have that laugh-a-minute thing going on. Huge, open-mouth, head-thrown-back, loud laughing. And her over the top, wide-eyed enthusiasm is just so ridiculous. Ugh. Still, it's interesting to hear some background info from the participants and their friends and family.

Yeah, she's a bit much. She needs to relax a little bit like it is a normal conversation. Right not she comes off as overly animated and trying too hard to be chipper.

• Love 2
14 minutes ago, StayingAfterSunday said:

Since the Derek and Heather pairing has come up so much, it got me thinking.  First off, I do not see those two as a promising match at all and, for that matter, don't find either one of them very attractive, physically or otherwise.  As we've seen from past seasons of this show, the sheer number of applicants sometimes leads to the chosen few being picked for reasons other than suitability.  With that in mind, I wondered if Derek is related to Dr. Pepper Schwartz or to one of her ex-husbands (not sure if Schwartz is her maiden name or the name of one of her two ex-husbands).  I am aware, of course, that Schwartz is not exactly a rare or unusual surname.   ---apologies to the moderators if this question has already come up on the forum.

I think they are both physically attractive, but I agree, they don't seem like a good match at all. You're not the only one who wondered if Derek was related to Dr. Pepper, I did too.

I really wonder how some of the contestants get past the screening. If we as viewers can see red flags right off the bat, why don't the experts see them? All I can figure, is that they must think it makes for good TV. I also have to wonder how many people would agree to do this if they weren't being filmed for a show. Do you think many would want to do it just for the experience and possible chance to find a mate if there was no show involved? 

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Lola16 said:

Is the book Sonja has under her pillow The 5 Love Languages by Gary Chapman?

I think so.  And I think they have both read it.  Maybe multiple times. lol

Judging by this tweet, I am very convinced Nick and Sonia are still together (plus, Nick is still friends with Sonia's brother and family on FB) --> 

• Love 5

the name of one of her two ex-husbands

So Dr. Pepper has been divorced twice?  I believe the pastor is married.  What about the third expert-Rachel?

Not that you necessarily have to be happily married to be a relationship expert, but it might help.

• Love 1

Babies do not meld themselves to people they don't trust and like.

Nick passes the baby test with flying colors.

Nick and niece have done this before and it warms my unfeeling, snarky heart.

Edited by humbleopinion
smore nonsense
  • Love 15

Aw, that pic of Nick and Sonia's niece is really sweet.   I swore I wouldn't watch this season after season 3 was just so annoyingly bad but have to admit, they (Sonia & Nick) have pulled me and I want to see their story unfold. 

And I feel like she is one of the two "real" people that have been cast on this show (Jason from season #1 is the other).  Not sure about Nick yet but am willing to give him a chance.

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, CindyBee said:

Aw, that pic of Nick and Sonia's niece is really sweet.   I swore I wouldn't watch this season after season 3 was just so annoyingly bad but have to admit, they (Sonia & Nick) have pulled me and I want to see their story unfold. 

And I feel like she is one of the two "real" people that have been cast on this show (Jason from season #1 is the other).  Not sure about Nick yet but am willing to give him a chance.

I'm sucked in too. I was Done after last season as well. But are we ever really done? I mean most of us have been here since the beginning. LOL!

• Love 4
31 minutes ago, henrysmom said:

So Dr. Pepper has been divorced twice?  I believe the pastor is married.  What about the third expert-Rachel?

Not that you necessarily have to be happily married to be a relationship expert, but it might help.

While I get what you are saying, I think it's easier to teach and guide people on relationship and psychological techniques then it is to actually practice it in Dr. Peppers real life. However, what actual mental health provider would agree to be on this show soooo her judgement may not be the best.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, WichitaStateShock said:

While I get what you are saying, I think it's easier to teach and guide people on relationship and psychological techniques then it is to actually practice it in Dr. Peppers real life. However, what actual mental health provider would agree to be on this show soooo her judgement may not be the best.

I still like her better than Dr. C and Dr. Logan - they were awful. These matches are better than what Dr. C could ever muster. I think it's fair to say we know how Derek and Heather end. The other two look promising. Looking for dirt on Tom and Lilian 

• Love 1

That picture is adorable!  I was kind of blase about Nick and Sonia but they are now my favorite couple.  I am really rooting for them.  They both seem to want this so bad--I hope they succeed.

• Love 1
18 minutes ago, henrysmom said:

Not only divorced but she has written about her getting around (to put it nicely...could have used another word but dont want to offend anyone). http://www.seattlepi.com/ae/books/article/UW-sexologist-Pepper-Schwartz-bares-her-1244137.php

I don't find her to be someone that should be dishing out anything on relationships though. I felt she should have gone with the other ones. I am not seeing anything new really from these 2 new ones we have either. They are coming off like they are reading from the same script as the old ones. 

BTW, on the pictures being posted. I think because of how its been in past shows that it doesn't show either way how things can end. People thought Sam/Neil and Tres/Vanessa had stayed together at times because of postings and who they were all following on SM. Then later on the things started showing on the Tres/Vanessa part that it probably wasn't the case. I am not sure how it was with pictures posted before that for the shows since I didn't find this board until before the last season but if it was the same thing then we have no clue really. I can imagine the show pushes them as much as they can to try to put pictures out there and follow not only each other but family/friends on SM as well...at least for the season. LOL With some that wasn't going to happen no matter what they were probably told/pushed to do (Ashley and her camp). Then again I am just not feeling them either and I like Sonia. But maybe seeing the past stuff just makes me question things when it comes up like this. LOL I am hoping for at least one couple out of this but we shall see as the show goes on right? 

• Love 1

I am hoping for at least one couple out of this but we shall see as the show goes on right?

Call me overly optimistic but I'm hoping for 2 out of 3.  Which is way better than last year when I had only mild hopes for Vanessa and Tres, and that was as early as the wedding episode.  I can't believe we are four shows in and I'm actually this hopeful!

• Love 3

I think SM is pretty easy to tell early on. I was able to pin point jessica and Ryan D weren't together right away. It was pretty easy also with Sean and Davina - within a few episodes. Last year - it was clear that none of them made it by mid season - even though Tres and Vanessa stayed married. But most of us here - knew Tres wasn't ready to be a husband. My gut says that Sonia and Nick may very well be together. His answers are very telling from the Knot and that picture. I remain uncertain about Tom and Lilian and obviously we know that Derek and Heather don't make it.

I've only misread social media once--I thought Basement Ryan and Jaclyn were together but they ended up not being so.  The rest have been easy to tell though I have to admit, I sorta zoned out in season 3 and wasn't really paying attention to SM like I did in the past.

I don't have a feeling right now from SM except for the fact that it looks like Heather & Derek crashed and burned big time.   The other two I'm on the fence and feel like it could go either way.   

Question:  Which of the three men were recruited for the show?  I am pretty sure I remember reading an article where Tom said he was recruited off Facebook.  And I think one of the other men was recruited as well.  Does anybody know?

3 hours ago, henrysmom said:

Question:  Which of the three men were recruited for the show?  I am pretty sure I remember reading an article where Tom said he was recruited off Facebook.  And I think one of the other men was recruited as well.  Does anybody know?

With this season we know for sure Tom was off FB like you said since he has said so. We have no clue on the other 2 really I think. Last season, Tres was from something like Tinder of all things. Yet really I wouldn't be surprised if most the men are recruited for the show. I don't care what some say but doing it as they do is just wrong with telling them its for a dating show. They are not upfront on it at all. Which I can imagine is why so many walk out on them. 

• Love 1

Tres was from something like Tinder of all things.

Tinder?!?!   What a shock he couldn't make a marriage work then!

Seriously, I can see that they have to recruit men.  I'm actually a little shocked they get relatively normal women to apply voluntarily.  But the least they could do is to stick to dating websites instead of hook up spots.

Edited to add--I was looking at older articles on the show to try to find out if a second guy was recruited (I swear I saw something) and ran across this article, in which Derek says "He wants his entire marriage to be “like the honeymoon phase.”"

Oh Derek...be careful what you wish for!

http://www.theknotnews.com/married-at-first-sight-season-4-premiere-recap-11103

Edited by henrysmom
  • Love 2