Type keyword(s) to search

Season One: I can see your episode commentary!

• Start Topic

Since there's no individual episode thread yet, here's one for the whole season, as I have a feeling there's not going to be pages and pages of discussion for each episode.

Episode one was tonight, with guest "helpers" Nick Lachey, Kelly Osbourne, Adrienne Houghton, Arsenio Hall, and Cheryl Hines. 

From the start, I was not fooled by the Golfer, the Rock Climber, or the Mathlete. 

When the contestant's first pick in the first round was a good singer but the contestant continued on in the game, I was really confused on how the game actually worked. I thought there would be five bad singers and only one good singer, so one bad guess would end the contestant's game. Then I was confused again after round five, as I figured at most there would be two good singers so obviously the one left singing with Nick would be a bad singer. I just hope that they switch up the number of good singers in each episode's group, to keep things interesting for the home audience.

Overall I enjoyed it, and will watch the season!

Edited by dvr devotee
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, dvr devotee said:

Since there's no individual episode thread yet, here's one for the whole season, as I have a feeling there's not going to be pages and pages of discussion for each episode.

Episode one was tonight, with guest "helpers" Nick Lachey, Kelly Osbourne, Adrienne Houghton, Arsenio Hall, and Cheryl Hines. 

From the start, I was not fooled by the Golfer, the Rock Climber, or the Mathlete. 

When the contestant's first pick in the first round was a good singer but the contestant continued on in the game, I was really confused on how the game actually worked. I thought there would be five bad singers and only one good singer, so one bad guess would end the contestant's game. Then I was confused again after round five, as I figured at most there would be two good singers so obviously the one left singing with Nick would be a bad singer. I just hope that they switch up the number of good singers in each episode's group, to keep things interesting for the home audience.

Overall I enjoyed it, and will watch the season!

I watched it because I like Ken. It's kind of a silly show. I think they are using the old Millionaire set. I thought the Stylist would have a bad voice because he looked like stereotypical R&B singer so I thought he was a decoy. I guess each week the number of good singers will vary. I did get a good laugh at hearing the bad singers. I watch again but don't know if I'm in for the long run.

I found it very enjoyable, although I think the panel is useless.  There's too many of them and of course all of them are going to have different opinions.  The contestant isn't going to get any help from them this way.  

I can't stand Adrienne Bailon.  I hated her as the Flamingo on "The Masked Singer" because I thought she was very desperate and trying too hard.  I feel the same way about her here... she is trying too hard.  I mean, that outfit with her "look at me" fake breasts busting out at the seams.  The way she sang to show everyone that "YESH I AM SINGER".

I do like Nick Lachey and Kelly Osbourne.  Not sure why Cheryl Hines is on this show and Arsenio Hall, hey man, haven't seen you in like two decades!

Are the judges going to rotate throughout the season?  I thought I saw Joel McHale in the previews.

I don't understand why this show and Masked Singer are bothering to pretend that there is a studio audience.  I'm not exactly sure how this worked, whether this is entirely old footage or whether they had some crew members singing along in just a small section of the audience and taped them.  Because at least some of the footage is old and from Masked Singer.  At around the 30 minute mark, there's a little blonde guy that gapes his mouth open with an OMG expression.  We've seen him at least twice, I believe this exact shot was used twice, not exactly sure when, but I remember seeing it twice and commenting on it.  There's also an Asian woman with a high ponytail who does a similar OMG expression (one was during Patti LaBelle's performance in Season 2, and another in Season 3) that I recognised before as appearing in the audience multiple times... let's see if she shows up on this show haha.

Edit:  On rewatch, YES, High Ponytailed Asian Woman was indeed on the show, doing her OMG look at around 39 minutes.  Too funny.  I'm sure Masked Singer has plenty of audience shots at this point, they really could have found new ones.

I was curious if the panel was going to remain the same, and unfortunately, next week, the only carryovers are Adrienne Bailon (Houghton) and Cheryl Hines.  Jordan Sparks is the headliner next week and will sing the duet.

Too bad, I really liked Nick Lachey.  He's still great and I liked how excited he was for the contestant when the Stylist was revealed as a good singer.  Why isn't he making music anymore?  Even if 98 Degrees is kaput, he could still do his own thing.

Edited by blackwing
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

The $50k prize potential is a red herring. It was impossible to get for the first two episodes. 

First episode was split 3v3 for good vs bad. 2nd episode was 2v4 with only two good singers. Since you only get money for elimating bad singers ep 1 max was $30k and ep 2 was $40k. 

That said it is still a fun show. Glad the bad singers really act it up upon reveal. 

I agree with above that the panel is mostly useless at least for guessing. 

I thought the first episode was fantastic, but I found the second episode to be a letdown.  The contestant from the first episode was very likeable and I really wanted her to win the money.  This contestant was boring and I found myself not caring.  The singers were so obvious, I picked out the two that could sing right away. 

The panel except for Jay Pharoah was boring.  Most of all, Jordin Sparks was awful.  I disliked her on American Idol and I don't think she's gotten any better.  It figured that she would sing her own boring song and it was just as boring as I remembered.

Especially after the upbeat and lively performance of "Get Ready" by Nick Lachey.  They should have kept him as the permanent duet partner.

It was still enjoyable, but not as good as the first.  One of the highlights for me, believe it or not, was actually seeing High Ponytailed Asian Woman in the audience YET AGAIN.  She should start asking for royalties from these shows.

On 10/2/2020 at 11:34 PM, blackwing said:

I thought the first episode was fantastic, but I found the second episode to be a letdown.  The contestant from the first episode was very likeable and I really wanted her to win the money.  This contestant was boring and I found myself not caring.  The singers were so obvious, I picked out the two that could sing right away. 

The panel except for Jay Pharoah was boring.  Most of all, Jordin Sparks was awful.  I disliked her on American Idol and I don't think she's gotten any better.  It figured that she would sing her own boring song and it was just as boring as I remembered.

Especially after the upbeat and lively performance of "Get Ready" by Nick Lachey.  They should have kept him as the permanent duet partner.

It was still enjoyable, but not as good as the first.  One of the highlights for me, believe it or not, was actually seeing High Ponytailed Asian Woman in the audience YET AGAIN.  She should start asking for royalties from these shows.

The audience is not there. It is a virtual compilation from other shows.

On 10/10/2020 at 7:28 PM, retired watcher said:

The audience is not there. It is a virtual compilation from other shows.

Blackwing is very aware; see their previous post. 

Edited by lambertman

I really like this show, more fun than Masked Singer. I try to figure out who is the bad singer; sometimes I'm right, sometimes not. It was interesting to have Nicole sing last night. She's always on shows as some kind of judge but this is the first time she's performed. Hey, who knew, she really CAN sing. (Disclaimer: Have never seen/heard Pussycat Dolls.)

I thought Bee Girl would bee a good singer, so I was fooled. I was glad the contestant went home with money. She needs it to buy more revealing dresses to help secure her wanna-bee acting/reality career. Sorry for the snark, but that dress ... really?

The panel of "experts" is pretty much a waste of time, which they need to fill out the hour. I think some are producers or somehow connected with the show, and that's okay. Still, this is one of my fav shows at the moment. It's good fun, something I can use more of these days. Bring on next week!

10 hours ago, roughing it said:

Not me.  They're bad enough to listen to without having them scream it to me.

I agree, I think they purposely sound extra bad and I'm sure they are doing it on purpose to really clearly indicate that they are not a good singer.

I don't know why they all thought Biker was a good singer... when she tapped on her thigh in the studio, it looked really bad.

I had no idea who the two men on the panel were.  Like, never even heard their names before.  I enjoy Ken Jeong so much more on this show than "Masked Singer".  Mostly because on MS he makes it all about him, while on this show I find him very likeable.

By the way, in the fake audience footage, I once again saw Little Blonde Guy, at about the 50 minute mark.  However, unless I wasn't paying attention, I failed to see High Ponytailed Asian Woman.

I don't hate the execution of this show for the most part, since I've been quite amused when people get fooled, but I really AM finding the artificial audience insulting.  Tonight they even had Pat Monahan admit this was filmed during Pandemic times (despite the celebs actually sitting pretty close to each other) but they intercut it with shots of the "audience" nodding along with the celebs' points, cheering or jeering after each decision, etc.  I literally flipped the screen the bird at one point after a sequence of that.  Worst of all is the literal CGI-ing, where they're digitally inserting the audience in the reverse shots behind the panelists.  Even Masked Singer isn't going THAT far, right?  They're doing their version of this just with camera cuts, I think.

On 10/29/2020 at 3:05 AM, Kromm said:

Even Masked Singer isn't going THAT far, right?  They're doing their version of this just with camera cuts, I think.

Singer's had a few CGI crowd shots too. Notably a couple of weeks ago they showed "people" basically standing behind the judges' panel, and they added a crowd around the stage on the season premiere.

1 hour ago, Suzysite said:

The knight's voice was so good I rewound just to hear him sing again.    But really, the show is pretty stacked. I mean 4 out of the 6 were good singers.  It's hard to not win.

I am thinking that the producers are playing some mental games. When you have already revealed 3 good singers and 2 bad, you are probably thinking that the last would be bad too. They are hoping the player will chicken out and take the relatively lower $20k payout. It almost worked too. She gambled and won her $100k. 

So far we have had 3v3, 2v4, and 4v2. I wonder if the show will ever try 5 good or bad singers or if will just be those three combinations. 

• Love 2

Finally caught up with this episode, and I loved seeing Sahyli win at the end.  I was worried for her when she eliminated three good singers to start and was pleasantly surprised that this episode had 4 out of 6 good singers.  Considering one of the previous episodes only had 2.  So great that she was willing to risk it all and I was very happy for her that she got the money.  I loved seeing Shannon's exuberance when she won in the first episode, but Sahyli's win was even more touching.

Yvette Nicole Brown was a great panelist.  Loved her "Are you single?  Cause she missed a date." to the Chef.

I continue to find Adrienne Bailon Houghton the most irritating panelist... she always wants everyone to know how great of a singer she herself is.  And she seems to be always WRONG on the singers.

On 10/29/2020 at 2:05 AM, Kromm said:

I don't hate the execution of this show for the most part, since I've been quite amused when people get fooled, but I really AM finding the artificial audience insulting.  Tonight they even had Pat Monahan admit this was filmed during Pandemic times (despite the celebs actually sitting pretty close to each other) but they intercut it with shots of the "audience" nodding along with the celebs' points, cheering or jeering after each decision, etc.  I literally flipped the screen the bird at one point after a sequence of that.  Worst of all is the literal CGI-ing, where they're digitally inserting the audience in the reverse shots behind the panelists.  Even Masked Singer isn't going THAT far, right?  They're doing their version of this just with camera cuts, I think.

I agree that the two rows of CGI audience behind the panelists is awful.  And the audience shots are clearly from other programs or taped earlier.  I believe they do have a disclaimer in the credits indicating this (Masked Singer also has a disclaimer).  I don't think I noticed Little Blonde Guy or High Ponytailed Asian Woman in this episode this time though.

The whole issue of virtual audiences is prevalent in many shows now.  Dancing With the Stars with the oohs and aahs and cheers and groans.  Even NFL and NHL games with crowd cheering.  Not sure if the crowd noises are piped into the arenas (so the players actually hear it) or if it's just added at the studio.  Can you imagine being some junior staffer on the production teams at these sports events and your job has devolved into pushing the cheering button and adjusting the volume up and down?

The panelists look like they are sitting right next to each other, but in overhead shots, you can tell that their chairs are arranged in a zigzag fashion, 3 in front, 2 in back, and they do look like they are probably 6 feet apart.

There's clearly a lot of sharing between this show and Masked Singer.  We have had Ken Jeong, Adrienne Bailon and Nicole Scherzinger migrating over here from MS.  Tomorrow's singer is Donny Osmond.  I wonder if this means that the other musical guests on this show might be a future contestant on Masked Singer.  Nick Lachey, Jordin Sparks, and Pat Monahan have all been mentioned as guesses before in various seasons.

• Love 1

I'm a terrible person, because I've loved every episode where they guess wrong.  This last one where the only way the contestant got ANYTHING right was via probability near the end (after 3 wrong guesses in a row) was a slam dunk for me.  In fact, it amused, and I suppose also horrified me at the same time, that he went with the last left, the Ghost Hunter, as a good singer, because I was dead certain that even just via likely probability at THAT point, with 3 good singers and 2 bad ones revealed,, the show would tend to err towards a 3/3 split and betting on him to be good was a horrible idea.

Edited by Kromm

The previous episode had also eliminated 3 good singers and ended up with a 4/2 split to win the money. I thought that last one (the waiter I think?) was a better bet than this one. I can see why people who only had $20k would go for it, though.

On 11/5/2020 at 5:34 PM, Kromm said:

I'm a terrible person, because I've loved every episode where they guess wrong.  This last one where the only way the contestant got ANYTHING right was via probability near the end (after 3 wrong guesses in a row) was a slam dunk for me.  In fact, it amused, and I suppose also horrified me at the same time, that he went with the last left, the Ghost Hunter, as a good singer, because I was dead certain that even just via likely probability at THAT point, with 3 good singers and 2 bad ones revealed,, the show would tend to err towards a 3/3 split and betting on him to be good was a horrible idea.

On 11/9/2020 at 2:32 AM, redpencil said:

The previous episode had also eliminated 3 good singers and ended up with a 4/2 split to win the money. I thought that last one (the waiter I think?) was a better bet than this one. I can see why people who only had $20k would go for it, though.

The episode prior to this last one (Sahyli, Indian (?) woman), the final singer was the chef.  The waiter was in a different episode (I think), they looked at his phone and i believe he ended up being a bad singer.

This latest episode with Ross, something about him rubbed me the wrong way.  He seemed arrogant and slick and I was annoyed with the way he kept talking about his foundation.  People only have foundations if they have money to begin with.  I don’t think this show should only be for people who really need the money, but I was a lot more invested in seeing people like Shannon from week 1 or Sahyli from the prior week who seemed like they really needed the money.

I agree with Kromm that I was actually amused that the first three singers were good singers.  Just looking at the way they moved, Choir Director, Librarian and Pop Princess, I figured they could sing.  

I’m still disliking Adrienne Bailon a lot and I noticed that she is really bad at this game.  I think she got almost every single one wrong this time.  Except maybe the Ghost Hunter.  If I were a contestant, whatever she says, I would choose the opposite.  She thinks she is such an expert because she considers herself a great singer herself and I find it really irritating whenever she talks about how someone’s throat or mouth or lips didn’t move the way a real singer’s would.  

Also, I noticed Bob Saget was a panelist on this show and also a contestant on Masked Singer. Really hoping this means Nick Lachey will be on the next MS season.

1 hour ago, blackwing said:

I’m still disliking Adrienne Bailon a lot

Yeah, she kind of comes off as The Poor Man's Leah Remini to me.  I mean a lot of their backgrounds are different, but there's a basic similarity there too.  The loud, opinionated New York stereotype you drag out for show X or Y.   

I'm really bothered that they couldn't be bothered to buy a few different suits for Ken Jeong. He's been in the same purplish-red suit every episode, yet Cheryl Hines and Adrienne Houghton, who I think have also been in every episode (I missed the one two weeks ago) have different outfits each episode. It would be one thing if they'd just put him in a black suit, but the fact that it's such a different color makes it SO obvious. I'm pretty sure the outfit is the same right down to the pocket square.

ETA: okay, so I went scrolling through the previous episodes and it turns out Adrienne and Cheryl both wore the same outfits during 2/4 and 1/3/6. 5 was a different outfit for both. But that doesn't change the fact that even Ken's pocket square has been the same through every SINGLE episode.

Edited by dvr devotee
I stand *slightly* corrected

This is the second $#&ing episode where they actually TALK about quarantine/the virus and cut to a fake audience reaction.  It's INFURIATING and I don't get it.  Either pretend they're real, or don't. Half and half is insulting.  

• Love 2

This show is mostly a ball of fluff and silly fun, which is welcome in these hard times. The final guesses and ending results of each episode are way more emotional than I expected though

I initially checked into this show out of curiosity and boredom and have now morphed in to enjoying it. It took me awhile to figure it out and find it hilarious you guys are Where's Waldo'ing the fake audience. Thanks for the additional layer to this show! I kind of like the fake audience - gives me a semblance of normalcy - never gave it much thought. Now that you guys brought this up, I too will start looking for Little Blonde Guy and High Ponytailed Asian Woman. Fun!

. . . stilll think the name I Can See Your voice is weird, sounds like a sappy Lifetime movie

Edited by itsadryheat

Tonight's episode was actually the pilot, filmed in March before the shutdown. Apparently there was a lot of time between filming the pilot and the remaining episodes. Most of the changes made a lot of sense in considering social distancing, but you know what didn't change? Ken's freaking suit. And Adrienne and Cheryl were also wearing the same outfits they wore in earlier (aired) episodes. Maybe rather than upgrading the giant "lock it in" button and flashing pedestal to a touchscreen, they should have given that money to wardrobe for a few more outfits.

I am really never getting over this.

Except for the final duet, it also weirdly seemed to me like all of the good singers were still lip syncing during their reveal.

Edited by dvr devotee
  • Love 1

I was wondering why in this episode, the final $ was doubled if she got it right, when in the other eps the contestant could go for the $100,000 final?  Also for this final, the contestant got to choose whether the last singer standing was good or bad.  In previous eps, the final singer had to be a "good" singer.  

Yeah it was really obvious that this episode was filmed pre-COVID, even without them saying so in the credits.  Apart from the differences in prize money and game structure, I think there was a real audience.  At least the first three rows which included the contestant’s fiancé.

The panelists all sat next to each other instead of staggered.  Ken hugged people.  

They obviously didn’t like the format and wanted to air the “real” show to get people interested before burning off this episode, but it was just weird.

Joel McHale is great.

And I’m sorry, but “music superstar” and “incredible” Adrienne Houghton?  No.  I greatly dislike her.  And the tennis champ was a much much better singer than her.  So were Goth Queen and Wedding Singer.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
22 hours ago, dvr devotee said:

Except for the final duet, it also weirdly seemed to me like all of the good singers were still lip syncing during their reveal.

I thought the same thing. Audio sync was strange even during the duet where we noticed it more. 

I don't think they ever got the prize structure right. They should stick with the hundred thousand for final round but keep the pilot rules of only losing half if wrong. They could also keep round 5 at 20k since the number of rounds you can win really depends on the good vs bad number. 

The pilot was a lot looser with the panel. Much more verbal interaction with the contestant. 

On 11/19/2020 at 9:21 PM, blackwing said:

Yeah it was really obvious that this episode was filmed pre-COVID, even without them saying so in the credits.  Apart from the differences in prize money and game structure, I think there was a real audience.  At least the first three rows which included the contestant’s fiancé.

Yeah. Although it was really weird that the other audience members had very different lighting.  That likely just was because he was the one who had to be seen and had some kind of spotlight on him, but it sure looked weird. 

However they also had audience shots from alternate angles.  THAT was the true tip off it was a real audience. Also, the audience tittered at times. With the fake audience they weren't that subtle. The sound editors either created a full laugh or none at all. 

Also, of course, the celeb seating was totally different. 

The alternate rules/sequence was interesting. 

Thanksgiving episode... I would have taken Cruise Ship Singer to the end.  She had the look and the moves.  Saying that she would love to have sung with Ella Fitzgerald, that to me was a big clue.  A bad singer who was trying to fake it would have said something more contemporary.

Rick Springfield... I realize we are about 8 episodes in, but is he the best that they could have gotten?  An aging and washed up singer who despite a supposedly lengthy shelf life has had his entire career defined by one single song?  I thought he sounded his age.

• Love 3
On 11/27/2020 at 11:08 PM, blackwing said:

Rick Springfield... I realize we are about 8 episodes in, but is he the best that they could have gotten?  An aging and washed up singer who despite a supposedly lengthy shelf life has had his entire career defined by one single song?  I thought he sounded his age.

Half those singers probably had to be told who he even was.  Since all of them have to be coached on the final song, I'm sure they had to be prepped on the song too, since even the ones who had heard of it certainly didn't stand a chance of knowing more than the chorus.

I will say that given that this show had the same rules as the last episode that seemed to be the Pilot episode, and had pre-pandemic celeb seating, maybe the show underwent a purposeful rework once they were forced into pandemic mode.  Perhaps that included less lame singing guests. 

Rick is still a decent guitar player at least.  Even if that's the only song he probably plays 90% of the time.

I laughed when they said they thought the drummer was a singer based on how he held his mic.   Have they never seen a drummer who was actually drumming.  They hold their drum sticks and the mic is on a stand.  

So this latest episode (Monday 12/7) had four bad singers and only two good singers.  Not very good odds.  But I was certain that the Lifeguard and the Accountant were good singers.  I wasn't sure on the Drummer.  But the Vegas Showgirl was clearly a bad singer.  A drag queen Demi Lovato impersonator?  Seemed too crazy to think that he could sing too. 

For whatever reason, after the contestant eliminated the accountant, I found myself really rooting against him.  So I was chuckling when the drummer was bad.

When the drummer started singing and was revealed as bad, we were treated to the same favourite producer's audience shot of.... yep, you guessed it, Little Blonde Guy, AGAIN!  Same exact clip, doing his patented gape mouthed OMG expression.

Season finale is tomorrow, Wednesday 12/9.

For Wednesday's show, I was happy to see the contestant win 100k for the season finale. The final mystery singer was supposed to remain stoic (at least based on how the mystery singers act before they perform) while Katharine McPhee started the song, but she was bopping along from the start. It's so fun and heartwarming in the end when a contestant wins big or doesn't lose the money they've earned so far

• Love 3

I figured this contestant was going to win the $100,000... they clearly messed with the order they aired the episodes since they stuck the actual first episode (Adrienne Bailon as singer) in the middle.  So I knew they wouldn’t end the episode on a sour note with the guy losing his money.

For some reason I found it easier to identify the good and bad singers this episode.  The only one I missed was the Dance Instructor.  Thought for sure she could sing.  Joel McHale I noticed got every single one right.

Katherine McPhee was disappointing, that was a poor choice of final song, she was practically just talking.

My favourite episode and contestant was still the one we saw first.  And Nick Lachey was the best guest performer.  I’m hoping he will be on Masked Singer next season.

• Love 1
16 hours ago, blackwing said:

I figured this contestant was going to win the $100,000... they clearly messed with the order they aired the episodes since they stuck the actual first episode (Adrienne Bailon as singer) in the middle.  So I knew they wouldn’t end the episode on a sour note with the guy losing his money.

They did more than that.  They front loaded all of the later episodes, with the different rules/money progression and social distancing/only a transparently fake audience, then aired the pilot without those things, then seemed to air the REST of the pre-Pandemic episodes in order as filmed.  It made for weird viewing. 

On 12/10/2020 at 6:05 PM, marketdoctor said:

I liked how the last contestant ran the table on the singers; he eliminated all the bad ones first.

I hope it gets another season.  Happy holidays, everyone!

I agree.  Fun little show and I like how the “celebrity “ panel all get so into the guessing.