Type keyword(s) to search

Thrive Without Janelle: The Accountability Group

• Start Topic

On 12/9/2020 at 8:05 AM, deirdra said:

And the "300 calories" is for the average person running X distance over Y time.  Actual metabolisms vary and some expend fewer calories to run the same distance.  Eating sugary treats will increase insulin, the fat-storage hormone, wiping out the insulin depletion caused by the exercise.

Yeah, it was a generalization and I should have noted it as such. Of course there were some with super fast metabolisms who could eat whatever they wanted, but it was rare. And we covered nutrition for athletes, but people still wanted their cookies afterward (their run, their fitness, their choice but then they came asking why they were gaining weight) 🤷‍♀️

• Love 5
29 minutes ago, Pickleinthemiddle said:

I don't always check this board every day, but glad to know you are getting better.

5 hours ago, crazycatlady58 said:

I glad you are getting better. Take care.

Thank you both!

• Love 3
3 hours ago, xwordfanatik said:

You encourage me to keep up my indoor bike riding, @Gramto6!  This cold weather gives me achy joints, and I try to get my workout in every day, just like you're doing.  Now I understand why so many older people move south.  

Tell me about it! I'm in MT and daytime temps are around freezing. I have bad knees and the cold really does make them ache. Tat is another reason why most of my walking is done inside my house. I could never move South though because I really can't stand heat and humidity.

• Love 4

For those people using myfitnesspal tracker, I've found that while it worked great losing weight, once I was under the goal weight, I had a little issue.  I've said before maintenance was difficult for me.  After about six weeks of maintenance and watching, I've concluded that at weights above 125 pounds, it's fairly accurate for losing.  If I set it on sedentary and then put in the exercise that I did, I lost at the rate expected or a little faster than indicated.  However, the lower the weight I became, the less accurate the system became especially in trying to maintain the weight.  I've figured out now that to compensate, I need to stay about 50 calories a day below what the tracker indicates after it adds in exercise calories.  It's been fun watching it flip around as I get near the calorie goal and jump from losing to gaining in the five week indicator.  

• Useful 3
  • Love 2

Six weeks and I'm still holding at 2.5 pounds under goal weight - pretty much right where I want to be.  I'm wanting sweets as a reward so I'm having to deal with that and still figuring out a more exact calorie allowance, but I think it's the longest I've held steady during the entire weight loss journey.

• Love 10

You're putting us all to shame, @Gramto6😉

It's that time again. Does anyone have any resolutions, weight-related or otherwise, that they would like to share?

I personally will be continuing to work on my weight, in the hopes of better overall health that will benefit my energy and immune system in particular. My goal is 25 lbs and I'm committing to checking in here.

Happy NYE, everyone!

• Love 7

I checked this morning and in one year I'm down 14 pounds.  I'm still three pounds below goal weight. No holiday weight gain.  I may go wild and decide to go one pound lower.  I've gone from BMI declared overweight (what pushed me to do something) to just above the midrange of healthy BMI so I'm happy about that. Now I'd like to firm up some of the not so firm spots.

Last night I decided I would do the Royal Canadian Air Force XBX program again.  It's OLD, but it's very defined and a nice gradual program to exercise all the muscle groups.  Helen Mirren uses it to keep fit.  If you look at the 5BX men's program it has a walking or running timed program to use also. 

The books are out of print, but you can download the pdfs and use that or print the particular pages of interest.  I print them so I can write on them.

• Love 8
6 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

I don't make New Year resolutions, they tend to be dropped soon.  

Ditto.  We have enough to be unhappy about without adding more pressure to do something that will just make us depressed if we drop it. 

• Love 7
9 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

Ditto.  We have enough to be unhappy about without adding more pressure to do something that will just make us depressed if we drop it. 

I guess I'm seeing things from a different angle, especially this year. There are so many big things that we cannot control - the pandemic of course, the economy, politics - that it feels empowering to focus on the things that I can impact for the better. And yes, failure sucks, but it's almost like all the bad stuff is extra motivation.

We all have to do what's emotionally healthy for us and to each their own, of course.  Just expressing a different point of view. 

• Love 7
On 12/31/2020 at 11:45 AM, LilWharveyGal said:

You're putting us all to shame, @Gramto6😉

It's that time again. Does anyone have any resolutions, weight-related or otherwise, that they would like to share?

I personally will be continuing to work on my weight, in the hopes of better overall health that will benefit my energy and immune system in particular. My goal is 25 lbs and I'm committing to checking in here.

Happy NYE, everyone!

Not me, if I have a goal or behavior that needs tackling I will not wait for the New Year but just go for it when I see it's a problem. That way, I get a head start :). Not to be a bitter pill, but I find New Year resolutions to be a mainly result of marketing pressure and $$$. Advertisers want people to eat all fall/winter and afterwards spend their hard earned (and harder to come by nowadays) money on fitness and gym memberships. All advertising BS. 

Same old same old here. I did get an Apple watch that tracks not just my running but so many other things (like O2 levels and HR) and I love it, but worry I will obsess over it. Hubby got it for me somewhat reluctantly, worrying over my past bouts with anorexia. But the watch does SO many things!

Happy New Year all and hopefully, this year will be a better one. I have high hopes but keeping my head down!

• Love 7

6,290 steps yesterday. 

6,300 steps actually. I looked at the app after I posted and it had updated the number. It does that sometimes don't know why.

Edited by Gramto6
correction
  • Love 8

I am down five pounds since the beginning of October when I started using the MyFitnessPal app.  I would love to drop 10 more.  So here comes the dangerous pattern that I have repeated approximately 168 times since I was 19 years old...I see progress, I slack off, I gain the weight right back, I get mad at myself, etc. etc. ad infinitum.  So I guess my goal is to finally break that pattern.  And I get what you mean about things being out of control and wanting to control the things you can - this is something I can control.  It would be incredibly easy to eat all the comfort foods in this time of crisis and darkness (and heaven knows that's what I crave) but then feel awful as a result, which I know is exactly what will happen.  I am cautiously optimistic. 🙂

Edited by laurakaye
  • Useful 1
  • Love 11