Type keyword(s) to search

Thrive Without Janelle: The Accountability Group

• Start Topic

On 10/31/2020 at 8:18 AM, ehall1052 said:

I also have to gluten free, dairy free, egg free, legume free due to allergies (eczema and inflammation). Coconut milk works for me. And it doesn’t have a strong coconut taste. The coconut yogurt is pretty good and so is the coconut “ice cream”. My favorite brand is “So Delicious”.  But I really miss cheese.  However breaking out head to toe in eczema is worse. And my arthritis pain has subsided. 

Legume free would be terrible. I rely on legumes for protein and fiber. I miss cheese, too. Follow Your Heart "cheese" makes a decent "gouda" that melts well, so that serves as a decent substitute. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

8 miles run yesterday after a rest day. Dropping weight even though I don't really need to (because I can't eat anything normal and am scared of many foods now). Thinking about becoming strict vegan for inflammatory reasons since I've been mostly plant based anyways, it's just one more step. 

But, fish. I love baked fish, especially cod, salmon and trout! I *really* don't want to give up fish. 

• Love 5

Same old same old, running and stretching and gearing up for "running season" in the desert (winter, when it's cool). 

But there's this--I have to apologize in advance to some of you who may love it, but I'm about to throw shade at Thanksgiving. I loathe Thanksgiving. I dislike the food, the pretense, the people stuffing their faces (and then complaining they ate too much--which they then do all they way through the New Year).  And if turkey is so good, why do people only eat it once or twice a year? I don't ruin it for family/friends and keep my thoughts to myself, but it's the same routine every year. Aunt-so-and-so keeps going back to the kitchen grabbing cookies while telling her son he can't have them (he's in sports and she's obese yet micro-manages his diet, go figure), everyone then goes on a 20 minute walk and thinks that is burning off the 3,000 calories they ate (yeah, no). 

We aren't traveling this year due to Covid and I am relieved, but all the hubbub leading up to thanksgiving is annoying.  Yeah, we know. A holiday is coming up. Stop over-marketing it to us. 

• Love 5

2.5 pounds below goal weight this morning.  I think it's time to try to level off here.  I'm good at gaining, so so at losing, but up until now not so good at staying one weight unless it's15 pounds too much.  

Edited by Absolom
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, suomi said:

Slacking again. You need to decide whether or not you want to succeed. Otherwise, you're just wasting our time. 

Geeze give me a break, I'm 71 and some days my knees just don't cooperate...I must have at east 20 years on Janelle...what is she doing each day??

I know you are kidding..I do what I can each day and am proud of whatever it is...

• Love 7

Nah, you go grrrl, you know I'm kidding with you and you have every right to be proud.

I'm a year younger and I doubt that I make it to 562 steps a day. I bought a step counter on a whim last year but decided against opening the package because, hey, I can still count with my fingers. Can't hardly walk, can still count. "If I'd known I was gonna live this long I'da taken better care of myself."

• LOL 2
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, suomi said:

Nah, you go grrrl, you know I'm kidding with you and you have every right to be proud.

I'm a year younger and I doubt that I make it to 562 steps a day. I bought a step counter on a whim last year but decided against opening the package because, hey, I can still count with my fingers. Can't hardly walk, can still count. "If I'd known I was gonna live this long I'da taken better care of myself."

You and me both girl!  I ran long distance track in high school, cross country track in college and then nationally competitive gymnastics, went to the nationals in 1970 in Utah. After that more 10k's than I can count and several half marathons. My late DH was a hiker/backpacker and we hiked/backed all over the country going out for days/weeks at a time. I guess in the end it all abused my body and now I pay for it.  At this point i am glad I can still walk and not fall too many times a year.

• Love 5
7 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

You and me both girl!  I ran long distance track in high school, cross country track in college and then nationally competitive gymnastics, went to the nationals in 1970 in Utah. After that more 10k's than I can count and several half marathons. My late DH was a hiker/backpacker and we hiked/backed all over the country going out for days/weeks at a time. I guess in the end it all abused my body and now I pay for it.  At this point i am glad I can still walk and not fall too many times a year.

Awwwww. It's so hard for athletes to not be able to do what we once could.

Similar for me, minus gymnastics (they told me I was "too tall" for the sport when I expressed interest). Anyway, I've been running since I was 12--give or take months off for back surgery and blown out knees. I was once considered sub-elite and was pretty fast, placing in many 5ks and half marathons.  Then, age 40 happened. Injuries came on faster and recovery time was longer. Of course, I "punished" the injuries and feelings of unwellness by working harder, because that's the time I came from--"What, something hurts? Do you have a bone sticking out? WORK HARDER." Yeah, because that's efficient and productive. This isn't airborne school, coach. 

Fast forward to today--much more careful. I have a marathon in May in Green Bay, WI. Distances like this are touchy because it's not like just whipping out a 10k when you don't feel good. As much as I love running, it has started to hurt me and in order to do it better and healthier--I need to do it less--not more, to get the most out of it. THat's hard in a world where I feel guilt for taking rest days and we all have watches and dives telling us how much we're moving. It doesn't matter that I went 12 miles yesterday, the thing is mad because I only went 3 today, etc. It's difficult. Some days, I walk to give my body a break because I want to run as long as I can. 

Edited by TurtlePower
Stupid ass autocorrect
  • Love 7
16 minutes ago, Gramto6 said:

8,587 steps yesterday. Just ran out of steam...

Hey, at least you started. It's been pouring the past 2 days and I haven't had the motivation to take my walks. Must do better tomorrow.

With the holidays coming up, does anyone have tips for coping (either health/weight-wise or otherwise) to share? Just speaking for myself, having fewer events and gatherings certainly means I have fewer opportunities for overindulging, which is a plus, but the isolation and inability to participate in the usual traditions are severely getting me down. And, like the title says, I want to thrive!

• Love 4

I found using a fitness tracking app worked wonders for me.  I also try to shop with my goals in mind.  If I don't bring it home, I can't consume it.  It's really been simple things like that for me.  This week I'm trying a new watch and it buzzes for me to drink.  I may float away!!

• Love 5

There is truth in the adage that laughter is the best medicine. Smother yourself regularly in whatever makes you laugh. 

Music. Not sentimental choices that will cause or add to melancholy but choices that you can blast and surround yourself with while cooking, cleaning, doing laundry, whatever. Sing and dance along, especially if you can't sing or dance. 

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, suomi said:

There is truth in the adage that laughter is the best medicine. Smother yourself regularly in whatever makes you laugh. 

One of my go-to shows is called Just for Laughs: Gags filmed in Canada.  One of the US stations (CW in my area) runs them as well.  There is no dialog at all, just all kinds of bizarre gags where they fool the public,  I never fail to get a laugh out of a few of them.  They are so creative on what they do!

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
26 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

One of my go-to shows is called Just for Laughs: Gags filmed in Canada.  One of the US stations (CW in my area) runs them as well.  There is no dialog at all, just all kinds of bizarre gags where they fool the public,  I never fail to get a laugh out of a few of them.  They are so creative on what they do!

Along the same lines as Just for Laughs is Impractical Jokers, they never fail to produce a few skits each episode that have me truly LOL.🤣

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, Absolom said:

I found using a fitness tracking app worked wonders for me.  I also try to shop with my goals in mind.  If I don't bring it home, I can't consume it.  It's really been simple things like that for me.  This week I'm trying a new watch and it buzzes for me to drink.  I may float away!!

That is my basic strategy too. I use a step app on my phone and try to get at least 1000 steps each hour, try being the operative word...but mostly I do.

The Holiday season is definitely going to be different this year and maybe even next year. I missed my yearly Summer trip to CA to visit kids and grands and that made me sad, but it just wasn't safe.  I somehow really don't feel like celebrating anything. Cases of Covid here in MT are skyrocketing, I find myself having near panic attacks the few times a month I go out to grocery shop. 

I am a solitary person, hermit if you will, so the staying home doesn't really bother me all that much, it is more the "when will this all end?-will it end?" oppressiveness of the whole problem. Fear of getting sick, fear of the people that don't take things seriously and will infect so many others. I'm trying to keep positive.... 

48 minutes ago, suomi said:

Music. Not sentimental choices that will cause or add to melancholy but choices that you can blast and surround yourself with while cooking, cleaning, doing laundry, whatever. Sing and dance along, especially if you can't sing or dance. 

So true! I've been watching the Retro TV channels for any comedy. Loving Frasier reruns!

• Love 6
15 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

8,587 steps yesterday. Just ran out of steam...

Same thing happened to me yesterday. I got 3 miles in and and upset tummy sent me running home, then it was over and I just stayed home until it was time to go to work. 

14 hours ago, LilWharveyGal said:

Hey, at least you started. It's been pouring the past 2 days and I haven't had the motivation to take my walks. Must do better tomorrow.

With the holidays coming up, does anyone have tips for coping (either health/weight-wise or otherwise) to share? Just speaking for myself, having fewer events and gatherings certainly means I have fewer opportunities for overindulging, which is a plus, but the isolation and inability to participate in the usual traditions are severely getting me down. And, like the title says, I want to thrive!

Running/hiking is meditative and helps me. We aren't going anywhere this year obviously, but any time I'd get stressed or overwhelmed, out the door I went. I partly blame my autism on becoming overwhelmed with people, but after a while I just wanted to go and run and be alone. I much prefer small gatherings of one family at a time, not...........EVERYONE. 

As far as food, can't help much. I cannot eat most of what people make so I'm always off to the side with the brussels sprouts or similar dish. For that, I'm grateful during the holiday season. Even if I wanted the pie or stuffing, I cannot have them or face severe consequences. And admittedly I dislike turkey, that stupid terrible green bean casserole, pumpkin pie (slimy), how people put marshmallow on sweet potatoes (aren't they sweet enough already?), etc. I think last year it was sushi for thanksgiving. 🤣

• Love 5
7 hours ago, TurtlePower said:

how people put marshmallow on sweet potatoes (aren't they sweet enough already?)

Exactly, adding sugar to them is just yucky!

Ah, the green bean casserole - one of my sister-in-law's "specialties." I got sick to my stomach after the last two Thanksgiving meals.

If not for Covid, I'd be quite content celebrating on my own. Several years back, I chose to stay home and I made cranberry sauce (with less than 1/3 the added sugar from the recipe), zucchini, sweet potatoes and chicken instead of turkey. It was a lovely and restful day, just me and my cat. 

With Covid, shopping and cooking have been a daily/weekly challenge, as I'm not used to preparing so many meals at home. It's a lot of schlepping, and we've had mice so cooking is not too fun.

I must admit, I've never eaten green bean casserole, or those stupid yams with marshmallows.  Why take perfectly good vegetables and dump cream of crap soup or way too sweet marshmallows on them?  No thanks.  Plain green beans are one of my favorite vegetables.

I do like turkey and mashed potatoes (minus any cream cheese or anything else other than lactose-free milk and salt) so I'll make those and I don't like stuffing or gravy, but Mr. X does, so I'll make those in small quantities.  I make a relish tray with celery, carrots, and olives, and a pumpkin pie with gluten free crust, Splenda, and coconut milk.  That's about it, other than opening a can of cranberry sauce.  A small turkey will give us leftovers for days.  

It makes me sad to think that many are going to ignore the large gathering warnings and risk getting and giving Covid.

• Love 2

Also not into the green bean casserole or the sweet potato and marshmallow.... yikes! I'm diabetic and that would send me into ketoacidosis! I have a duck leg/thigh in the freezer that will be my meat. Garlic and broccoli stir fried for veggie, and I will cheat a little and have a smashed small yukon potato with butter and a dab of sour cream. Not really into sweets, maybe a few thawed frozen berries with some heavy whipping cream for dessert.

Living alone, far from family this is really not a different Thanksgiving...but I think of all the people that have lost family members and it makes the "Holiday" sadder to me.

• Love 6