Type keyword(s) to search

Van Der Valk - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I thought it was much more interesting than the first two-parter.  Much better use of the characters. 

What surprised me, though, is that both Piet and Lucienne have Lena in their phone contacts.   

• Like 2
36 minutes ago, alias1 said:

What surprised me, though, is that both Piet and Lucienne have Lena in their phone contacts.

I think Lena and Lucienne were friendly before Lena screwed over Piet. And it seems as if they are still friendly enough that Lucienne will give messages from Lena to Piet if she's in the mood.

And Lucienne and Piet both probably don't clean their contact list that often, lol.

• Like 2

I cannot abide the new female cop! OMG! Afraid of going to the home of a murderer in a WPP situation. Stares stupefied at people. Totally incompetent at interviewing on-scene witnesses. Always wears a befuddled expression. Get rid of this totally unfit for service dame! 

New guy is fair to middling. He'll do. 

As in many police series, the coroner is the much-needed comic relief. 

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
2 hours ago, LennieBriscoe said:

I cannot abide the new female cop! OMG! Afraid of going to the home of a murderer in a WPP situation. Stares stupefied at people. Totally incompetent at interviewing on-scene witnesses. Always wears a befuddled expression. Get rid of this totally unfit for service dame! 

Isn’t the new female cop just transferred from Traffic? I can believe that in this type of police work, she’s still in the learning curve.

• Like 9

This was a good story arc.  I'm okay with the two new cops; I think the female new cop is still getting her feet wet and isn't quite sure how to act in certain situations.  Guess that is part of the learning curve on working murder investigations.   And I totally love the coroner (does anybody not?).

That scene when Lena comes into the bar and even though she's told it's not a good time to talk to Piet, still attempts to, while he is surrounded by his co-workers (including his boss) was cringe worthy.  I kept thinking "and this woman is a DOCTOR?"  and do the writers think this is going to endear the viewers to the character?    Lena comes across as a total flake who seems to have emotional problems, so somebody will think that this is the person who will bring "happiness" to the brooding hero of the show.   In the immortal words of Moonunit Zappa  - Gag me with a spoon! 

• Like 5
  • LOL 3
9 minutes ago, 12catcrazy said:

And I totally love the coroner (does anybody not?).

I don't find him especially funny, tbh. He lightens thing, but I also think the sardonic pathologist is a cliché. No more than the lead cop with a tragic backstory, but a cliché nonetheless.

• Like 4
6 hours ago, 12catcrazy said:

That scene when Lena comes into the bar and even though she's told it's not a good time to talk to Piet, still attempts to, while he is surrounded by his co-workers (including his boss) was cringe worthy.  I kept thinking "and this woman is a DOCTOR?"  and do the writers think this is going to endear the viewers to the character?

That was utterly cringe-worthy. Read the room, lady. He said it wasn't a good time to talk, sitting there deep in conversation with his co-workers, what makes you think that you should stay and try to convince  him to like you again.

I don't understand the love for the pathologist. He's okay but I find the new lady cop more interesting. She's one of those people trapped by their brains.

I missed part of the middle of the episode -- did we get an explanation why as 12 year old kid would burn down the house of his two friends with them in it?

• Like 3
  • LOL 1
7 hours ago, 12catcrazy said:

That scene when Lena comes into the bar and even though she's told it's not a good time to talk to Piet, still attempts to, while he is surrounded by his co-workers (including his boss) was cringe worthy. 

What was the point of that scene? It made Lena look really pathetic and also quite stupid. And Piet isn't such a prize that he's worth all of this.

51 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

I missed part of the middle of the episode -- did we get an explanation why as 12 year old kid would burn down the house of his two friends with them in it?

No. I guess we're supposed to think he was always deeply disturbed.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

Is the same actress playing Lena this season as in the prior ones? She seems different to me. Agree with the above posters - the scene where Lena barges in was cringeworthy. 

I liked this 2-parter better than the first one. 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, LisaM said:

Is the same actress playing Lena this season as in the prior ones? She seems different to me

I've only just started watching, but I saw the scene in the hospital where they met. I recognized her immediately, and I'm notoriously bad at recognizing people so I think she's the same. But maybe I just can't tell the difference between blonde women :) 

• Like 1
  • LOL 2

S3.E3 ∙ Magic in Amsterdam

The fatal stabbing of a psychiatrist during the ritual summoning of a demon pulls Piet and his team deep into the esoteric world of Ritual Magic, where mystical beliefs conceal a wealth of hidden rivalries and dark secrets.

I enjoyed this past episode and have to say that I have no clue who the killer is (though can guess who it isn't).  

Lena had like a 30 second walk on and I really dislike this woman - there is something about her that just rubs me the wrong way.   I haven't seen the actress in anything else so don't know if it's her or just how the character is being written.  But at this point, I wish she'd become a victim and just disappear already. 

• Like 1
On 10/4/2023 at 4:19 PM, 12catcrazy said:

I enjoyed this past episode and have to say that I have no clue who the killer is (though can guess who it isn't).  

Lena had like a 30 second walk on and I really dislike this woman - there is something about her that just rubs me the wrong way.   I haven't seen the actress in anything else so don't know if it's her or just how the character is being written.  But at this point, I wish she'd become a victim and just disappear already. 

Apparently, the new “lighter outlook” VDV will include blondie. He might regret “not her, my boat” statement in future, though. Good ending and again, the coroner has all the best scenes…much better season.

I hope they don't kill her off, Piet is already too much on the broody side he will be unbearable if she gets offed.  Let them discover what is clear to the rest of us that they have nothing in common and part amicably.

Like everybody else I love the coroner he is such a hoot.  And keep the dog he is adorable.

• Like 5
  • LOL 1

As soon as Lena showed up at the boat I said, "Have some pride woman."

While I'm glad she didn't get killed off, she needs to make fewer appearances next season or yes, they need to break up and let it go.

Still don't understand what the whole point of Lucienne's past had to do with anything but I supposed you could wrap it up into the conclusion of the case but what a round-a-bout way to get there.

• Like 4
43 minutes ago, milkyaqua said:

Except Piet never completely breaks up with her. I hate this.

37 minutes ago, howiveaddict said:

Unsatisfactory ending.

I agree. I don't think any of the solutions to the crimes this season have been worthwhile.

• Like 3
  • LOL 1

Every time we saw Mila, her eyes were open.  If she couldn't blink, wouldn't her eyes become dry and painful?  Maybe the nurse gave her eyedrops.  I have heard of unconscious patients who couldn't blink having their eyelids gently taped shut.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

I didn't love the third series centered on magic. Never quite understood what Lucienne's past had to do with solving the mystery other than the reference to siblings. Love the coroner and I also like the female boss. Not a fan of Piet and Lena. 

• Like 2
20 hours ago, magdalene said:

hope they don't kill her off, Piet is already too much on the broody side he will be unbearable if she gets offed. 

Isn't the reason that he is broody is because an earlier girlfriend was killed?

I don't understand what is attractive about her other than the physical. Maybe she's on the show to make the other 3 women look better.

• Like 2

To me it feels like the show is trying to have it both ways. Piet is attracted to Lena so we know he's not a complete block of ice, but he pushes her away because she lied to him earlier. (Neve mind she's not engaged anymore).

I don't think it works at all. Piet looks like an asshole for stringing her along, and Lena looks pathetic for letting him. Neither character is well-served by this.

• Like 3
4 hours ago, statsgirl said:

I don't understand what is attractive about her other than the physical.

Grins, well the physical counts for a lot with males. I don't  get it either, her character is so under-written - why her?

I was thinking it could be simply as a British show filming in Amsterdam they may have to hire local talent in a prominent speaking role.

• Like 3
On 10/9/2023 at 10:53 PM, Driad said:

Every time we saw Mila, her eyes were open.  If she couldn't blink, wouldn't her eyes become dry and painful?  Maybe the nurse gave her eyedrops.  I have heard of unconscious patients who couldn't blink having their eyelids gently taped shut.

I think we were not supposed to care about the back stories, just to recognize that the psychic used guesses as a manipulative device to shake people up.

17 hours ago, magdalene said:

I was thinking it could be simply as a British show filming in Amsterdam they may have to hire local talent in a prominent speaking role.

I have no problem with the actress being on the show in a somewhat prominent role; she's attractive and does a good job with what she's given.

My problem is with how the character is written -- the "I'm engaged" that came out of nowhere was bad enough last season. But this season they're writing her as too needy, seeking Piet out even when he's involved in a work group meeting when he doesn't respond to her calls and getting his co-worker involved too.

Maybe she was supposed to leave at the end of last season but they liked her and decided to keep her around. I wish that they would write her as less of a train wreck though.

• Like 4
5 hours ago, statsgirl said:

But this season they're writing her as too needy, seeking Piet out even when he's involved in a work group meeting when he doesn't respond to her calls and getting his co-worker involved too.

This in combination with how they have written the senior female detective this season on Professor T makes my teeth grind.

• Like 2
On 9/25/2023 at 8:14 AM, LennieBriscoe said:

I think the show would be better if it simply had Piet, Lucienne, the coroner and their boss--plus the dog.  The two new characters add nothing to the show.

On 10/9/2023 at 7:36 PM, milkyaqua said:

While I'm glad she didn't get killed off, she needs to make fewer appearances next season or yes, they need to break up and let it go.

Were we supposed to be charmed at their "witty" banter when they were being held hostage?  They're about to die and she's telling him to say please before she'll call anyone for help?

I also don't get why the cops are sometimes are at their office and sometimes they cops gather at the local watering hole to discuss their cases though I do love it when the coroner is immediately handed a drink, no matter what time of day it is and the half-drunk customer who adds his two cents in usually makes me laugh.

• Like 2

I just started watching (from the beginning) Endeavor on PBS, and "Lucienne" shows up in episode 3 (I think) series 1 and is so instantly recognizable with those cheekbones. I highly recommend it BTW.

On 12/7/2023 at 11:54 PM, dleighg said:

I just started watching (from the beginning) Endeavor on PBS, and "Lucienne" shows up in episode 3 (I think) series 1 and is so instantly recognizable with those cheekbones. I highly recommend it BTW.

Maimie McCoy was a series regular in the BBC's The Musketeers (seasons one and two, at least, she was on maternity leave through most of season three, although does appear in a few episodes), and was excellent in the role. Well worth watching.

• Like 1