Type keyword(s) to search

S15.E12: Results Show 1

• Start Topic

Matt Franco's act was strangely not tight.  To my eyes, if he were being judged in his competition year, Simon would have criticized his patter and not really understanding for too long what the "magic" really was.  The King of Spades trick was actually clumsily done.  He's still dang talented.  

No real surprise evictions.  I think the order of reveal was actually the voting order.  Archie may get to the Finale, but it won't be on talent.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Lonesome Rhodes said:

Matt Franco's act was strangely not tight.  To my eyes, if he were being judged in his competition year, Simon would have criticized his patter and not really understanding for too long what the "magic" really was.  The King of Spades trick was actually clumsily done.  He's still dang talented.  

Agreed on all counts. Slow setup with no real "wow" factor. The judges were really trying to sell their amazement and kind of failed imo. 

• Love 1
25 minutes ago, Superclam said:

Agreed on all counts. Slow setup with no real "wow" factor. The judges were really trying to sell their amazement and kind of failed imo. 

Thought it was just me. Also, at the end,  Kelly took her cards out of the box and apologized.i don’t know if that caused any problem with the outcome.  He seemed to shrug it off.  The banter was really annoying. 

• Love 1

Judging by what I've read about Matt Franco's magic trick, I guess I'm not that all observant. I thought the trick he performed was awesome! I don't know how he did it, but that's just me.

I actually liked Kodi Lee's performance also. I thought this was the best he's sounded...ever! Still, I don't think he should've won. Sympathy votes got him the win. And I think America is ok with that.

Disappointing vote of the night goes to Archie Williams. I figured he would go through but disappointing that his backstory will win over other talented contestants.

Surprise vote of the night goes to Double Dragons over Feng E. I had a feeling DDs might have a chance but not at the expense of Feng E. Feng E had a great performance and Sophia should've judged it accordingly. She didn't vote for him because she doesn't like the ukulele.    

• Love 1

No real surprises. The one oddball was the chubby girls over the uke kid, who was far, far more talented and entertaining. The girls  basically do a drag queen show every time, except they are actual heterosexual fat girls. Not seeing the point. However, I expected the choice to go to them over the kid from Taiwan because I can’t imagine the annoyance on dealing with the kid over there for AGT.

There barely 5 acts that were worth sending through, yikes. Innocence Project guy’s story wins the day. Just put him in the Finals so we don’t have to hear the judges pretend he’s a great singer too. The little girl has a great voice but I hated her song choice. Same with Shaquira.

Michael Yo must have a bunch of favors in his pocket in the business. He is absolutely horrible. He’s not remotely funny at all, and some of those stupid comments like “men can’t do that‘’  have been repeated since the 60s. Bad delivery, stage presence, horrible sob story. He was worse than the pigs and the contortionist doing the same move over and over.

Even Mat Franco wasn’t  very good. Very weak show. And the acts for next week look worse!

Not a Kelly Clarkson fan, but she actually offered some insightful, useful analysis and observations in her comments. Very odd for an AGT Judge. Heidi looks like she had a bit of refresh job done. She looked great.

Feel better Simon.

• Love 3

I wasn't shocked at all; the various saves also seem to reduce the shock value of an exit.

I feel for Annalise Nock, though maybe the problem is that the wheel of death looks almost like a really nice piece county fair ride.  Obviously, it IS dangerous, but that danger didn't translate well to my TV (it's more impressive live).

This year favors a singer or a stage magician, because those acts translate to different venues well.  The dancing kids were almost overshadowed by their scenery.  I hope the performing pigs get a happy life.

• Love 2

I haven't watched this show in ages but last night I did.  Never again.  The 'acts' started with pigs performing.  Then somebody crazy on a guitar and then a singer that made my ears hurt.  I was done.  Whatever Kelly Clarkson could think of to say to all of them kiddo's to her.

If America has talent it certainly wasn't on the stage last evening or whenever it was taped.  Ugggg.

• Love 1

I didn't watch the show even though I had the word of the A.A. counselor that turning it on wouldn't qualify as a relapse, due to no mortal man being able to tolerate it without suds. I did read people saying how bad Michael Yo was, so I watched his performance and it was terrible. When people just say the obvious, I don't see how it counts as comedy. Despite his last name not being 2 "Yo"s, you'd better hope when you throw the tickets to his show in the garbage that they don't immediately come back to you. Speaking of shit comedy, I read on Cnet yesterday that some incredibly unfunny woman from TikTok who does nothing but lipsync to Trump audio clips is getting her own Netflix show. Her name is Sarah Cooper if you want to (attempt to) watch a video - better watch it on an old computer monitor or TV so you're not too upset when you inevitably punch a hole in it. When something is so bad, that you start to look at comediennes like Vicki Barbolak in a positive light, you know you've struck brown gold.

The other performance I watched was Kodi Lee's, which in my mind only lasted a few seconds due to the minimal shots of his milfy Mother. Unless the video title being named "Finneas" means he's added Alzheimer's to his list of diagnoses and forgets what his own name is, I don't see why anyone should give him a pass for coming back to do a cover. I'm assuming he has some original material if he was doing gigs after AGT, at least that's what I remember. It'd be like if I were about to go on stage and Terry said "and now here to recite Preacher Lawson's set from the semi-finals", which I would probably have to be in a coma to be deemed acceptable.

Maybe I'll watch the rest of the performances, but from all the other posts, it doesn't sound worth the effort.

Edited by InternetToughGuy
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, Superclam said:

I saw this today:

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/double-trouble-first-live-results-show-of-agt-season-ends-with-a-shocker-023352576.html

Arguments could be made for ukulele boy, but I don't know if I'd call it a "shocker." 

I think if you are talking about talent and quality, and actually being judged rather than the results of a suspicious voting system, it was a shocker. That kid was waaaaay better.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, SG11 said:

I think if you are talking about talent and quality, and actually being judged rather than the results of a suspicious voting system, it was a shocker. That kid was waaaaay better.

Eh, I didn't really like him, but that's a matter of opinion. I think we can both agree that neither of those acts was going to win or even make it to the finals. 

Like someone alluded to above, I wouldn't be surprised if the inconvenience of having a contestant stuck in Taiwan "swayed" the judges vote. 

• Love 2
18 minutes ago, Superclam said:

Eh, I didn't really like him, but that's a matter of opinion. I think we can both agree that neither of those acts was going to win or even make it to the finals. 

Like someone alluded to above, I wouldn't be surprised if the inconvenience of having a contestant stuck in Taiwan "swayed" the judges vote. 

Lol, that was me too. I thought the kid was far better and the judges reacted strongly to him, but then I still felt that the judges would just pick the kitschy chubby girls because the Taiwan issue was too much trouble.

Last night was the last straw... all non-US judges, contestants full of non US people... and last night a contestant not even performing in the US. America’s Got Talent all right.

Pretty awful season.

• Love 3
19 hours ago, rr2911 said:

Judging by what I've read about Matt Franco's magic trick, I guess I'm not that all observant. I thought the trick he performed was awesome! I don't know how he did it, but that's just me.

I actually liked Kodi Lee's performance also. I thought this was the best he's sounded...ever! Still, I don't think he should've won. Sympathy votes got him the win. And I think America is ok with that.

Disappointing vote of the night goes to Archie Williams. I figured he would go through but disappointing that his backstory will win over other talented contestants.

Surprise vote of the night goes to Double Dragons over Feng E. I had a feeling DDs might have a chance but not at the expense of Feng E. Feng E had a great performance and Sophia should've judged it accordingly. She didn't vote for him because she doesn't like the ukulele.    

I think Sofia voted for Double Dragons because they're all Latinas.  I think they gave off a warmer feeling than Feng E. who was only seen by video.  Their talent isn't any better than a kid who can riff "Smoke On The Water" on an electric instrument.

• LOL 1

I'm glad Brett won the save, though I doubt he'll be the top winner.  I feel that it's already been slated to go to one of the singers but not including the singer/dancer act of Double Dragons.  Next week's lineup looks to be double the boredom of this week's results.  Personally I would rather sit through another Pork Chop Review performance than hear the female singers again.  Their song choices didn't grab me (okay, I've no clue who or what they sung) and I personally like Archie's quiet blues voice better, regardless of having Best Sob Story Evah.

Thank the kiddie dancing duo gods I never have to see Salsa Boy & Girl again.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, SG11 said:

Last night was the last straw... all non-US judges, contestants full of non US people... and last night a contestant not even performing in the US. America’s Got Talent all right.

I thought we were only allowed to be overjoyed at such things?

• LOL 1
2 hours ago, SG11 said:

Kelly Clarkson is from Texas.  Not sure how she was a non-US judge on this week's show.   I agree about the non US contestants.  

35 minutes ago, Babalooie said:

Kelly Clarkson is from Texas.  Not sure how she was a non-US judge on this week's show.   I agree about the non US contestants.  

That’s right. I was talking about the usual 4 judges, including Simon.

Its a pretty common observation that America’s Got Talent has no US judges.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, SG11 said:

Pretty awful season.

I don't think there were any American judges last season. .Although she's only a guest judge. Kelly is American.. 

Last season was the first one in a while to have American judges with Gabrielle and Julianne.    Other than them, there have only been 3 American judges:  Brandy, Hasselhoff and Stern.  Although as has been pointed out, Howie and Heidi are naturalized citizens.  

22 hours ago, InternetToughGuy said:

Speaking of shit comedy, I read on Cnet yesterday that some incredibly unfunny woman from TikTok who does nothing but lipsync to Trump audio clips is getting her own Netflix show. Her name is Sarah Cooper if you want to (attempt to) watch a video - better watch it on an old computer monitor or TV so you're not too upset when you inevitably punch a hole in it.

Sarah Cooper hosted Kimmel a couple night ago and was fun and funny. I enjoyed her very much, one of the best guests hosts he's had this summer. Obviously, YMMV. Or rather, YMDV.

• Love 3
23 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Sarah Cooper hosted Kimmel a couple night ago and was fun and funny. I enjoyed her very much, one of the best guests hosts he's had this summer. Obviously, YMMV. Or rather, YMDV.

Ah, I thought she was just some random nobody from TikTok. Either the article didn't explain much or I was suffering from seethe-induced tunnel vision 😌

• LOL 2
On 8/13/2020 at 7:24 PM, SG11 said:

LOL. If this is the basis for "last straw," you should have quit watching a decade ago.

Because I had no power Wednesday (derecho!), would someone be so kind as to list what acts went through, please? And thank you. (TM Captain Kangaroo)

• LOL 1
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

LOL. If this is the basis for "last straw," you should have quit watching a decade ago.

Because I had no power Wednesday (derecho!), would someone be so kind as to list what acts went through, please? And thank you. (TM Captain Kangaroo)

5 Acts Went Through

Archie Williams (singer)
Shaquira McGrath (singer)
Roberta Battaglia (singer & Sofia's GB)
Brett Loudermilk (sword swallower)
Double Dragon (singing duo)

Acts Eliminated

Bello & Annaliese Nock (daredevil duo)
Michael Yo (comedian)
Frenchie Babyy (contortionist)
Pork Chop Revue (pig act)
Simon & Maria (salsa duo)
Feng E (ukulele)

• Useful 1
On 8/14/2020 at 1:38 AM, Female83 said:

I don't think there were any American judges last season. .Although she's only a guest judge. Kelly is American.. 

I’m pretty sure I’m not going to reiterate this point any more.

On 8/15/2020 at 11:50 AM, saber5055 said:

I’m shocked at the level of misunderstanding of this point I made. I made a joke about after a season of 4 non US judges and a bunch of non US entrants, this year we had an entrant performing from another country. Ever since there’s been one post after another reminding me that there was a US judge for 1 day this season and that the last straw verbiage apparently was too strong an expression. Please disregard this post.

Edited by SG11