Type keyword(s) to search

Build Me Up - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Interior designer Orlando Soria renovates homes for clients going through a major life change. From an empty nester looking to revamp to a recent divorcee taking in his mom, Orlando helps each client transition into the next chapter of their lives.

• Love 1

The guesthouse is really nice but not a fan of the tile in the bathroom floor, the bedroom does not look that bad but the ugly sink tile should have came out but too bad they do not have the money to do it

(edited)

Agree.  He did not show his best work here at all. He should do better even when on a budget.  The second episode was better but was still lacking some oh his usual punch.

Edited by alexa
  • Love 1
(edited)

In the garage apartment why didn’t he give that poor lady a sitting area?  There could have been a small couch at the end of the bed!  Perhaps if he had spent a little less on the bathroom in the garage he could have replaced the vanity in the son’s bath - or maybe done away with that desk area. 

I also felt the host preened and posed for the camera a LOT, which was totally annoying.  I don't know who proclaimed this the "NEW HIT SHOW" (especially since it hadn't aired at that point) but I hope it gets better.

Edited by RoxiP
  • Love 1

There doesn't seem to be much difference between this premise and Unspouse My House. Both of the subjects were recently divorced. Same show, different title? Maybe HGTV thought Unspouse My House was too negative or something.

Anyway, I really like what Orlando is able to do with very little money. He sort of disproves a lot of what the other renovation shows say because he manages to do a lot with less money. He'll do three or four rooms with the same money another flip/remodel show uses on just one.

the living room is nice but the floral wall paper and the painting in the bedroom is awful

I totally agree about the wallpaper (and wallpaper in general) but the home owner really wanted it. He's good about giving them what they ask for. I remember in Unspouse he did some guy's living room in sea green and I thought it was hideous but the home owner asked for it and loved it.

I also felt the host preened and posed for the camera a LOT, which was totally annoying. 

He's actually toned it down a little since Unspouse (believe it or not). I agree he could take it down a few more notches. But when he's talking to the home owner and not to the camera he's much more genuine.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, iMonrey said:

There doesn't seem to be much difference between this premise and Unspouse My House. Both of the subjects were recently divorced. Same show, different title? Maybe HGTV thought Unspouse My House was too negative or something.

Anyway, I really like what Orlando is able to do with very little money. He sort of disproves a lot of what the other renovation shows say because he manages to do a lot with less money. He'll do three or four rooms with the same money another flip/remodel show uses on just one.

I totally agree about the wallpaper (and wallpaper in general) but the home owner really wanted it. He's good about giving them what they ask for. I remember in Unspouse he did some guy's living room in sea green and I thought it was hideous but the home owner asked for it and loved it.

He's actually toned it down a little since Unspouse (believe it or not). I agree he could take it down a few more notches. But when he's talking to the home owner and not to the camera he's much more genuine.

That is true, got to make the homeowners happy 

13 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Normally I agree he does a lot with less money, but these episodes for me were sorely lacking.  The first one, was as if he just moved some furniture into an existing house with very little design/color/or anything interesting.  I kept looking at her living room and was just like, this is a designer's work?  He is very capable of working with homeowners and coming up with good design--I just felt like he didn't do much in this space.  

15 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I agree. If I could pick an HGTV designer to remodel my house, I'd pick Orlando. He listens to the homeowners and does his best to fulfill their wishes.

• Love 3
On 7/22/2020 at 7:53 PM, RoxiP said:

In the garage apartment why didn’t he give that poor lady a sitting area?  There could have been a small couch at the end of the bed!  Perhaps if he had spent a little less on the bathroom in the garage he could have replaced the vanity in the son’s bath - or maybe done away with that desk area. 

I also felt the host preened and posed for the camera a LOT, which was totally annoying.  I don't know who proclaimed this the "NEW HIT SHOW" (especially since it hadn't aired at that point) but I hope it gets better.

That’s how I felt about him first couple of his previous show but he settled down and I found him very likable.   I had too many DVRd programs so just now watching the first episode. 
thanks JTMacc99 for starting this forum 

I've never seen him on any other shows so I'm going to continue watching (besides, what the heck else do I have to do?), but I'm also going to trust you all that he gets better with time.  I'm just not a fan of overly-frenetic energy and cuteness so hopefully he will grow on me.

(edited)

Is anyone entering the $5,000 giveaway? I just entered, I am not expecting to win but I would be shocked if I win, the only thing I won in my life is a $20 gift card to Walmart 😂

Orlando did a very good job tonight except I hate the title on the wall in the kitchen, it reminds me of that outdated tile sink in the bathroom from last week

Edited by DVDFreaker
  • Love 1

I have only seen a couple of these but I kind of like the show.  It is not a flip; there is no major construction; no "happy couple" hosting; no children of hosts.  He is pleasant and listens to the homeowners.  And the shows are only 1/2 hour.  

But tonight's show...over $5,000 for that kitchen window?  !!!   All I could think of when he opened it (have to admit the way to open it was great) was bugs flying in.  And painting the kitchen cabinets; finding out that the holes for the new knobs were in the wrong place; and then having to repaint them after patching the holes?  Did I hear that correctly.   

I'll take it.

• Love 1

The episodes last night were better than the first night.  Seems back to the unspouse my house quality, as I usually liked most of the rooms in that version of his show.  I am not sure if the lady on the second episode just doesn't show her enthusiasm well, but she didn't seem to sincerely like the rooms as much as she was trying to say she did.  

• Love 1

Why is HGTV airing these backwards? Episode #4 aired at 9:00 and Episode #3 aired at 9:30. It was the same last week with #2 and #1.

Anyhow . . .

I agree, alexa, Tamara didn't seem to like the color her bedroom was painted. She described it as "unexpected and interesting." Not exactly a glowing review. But I thought Orlando did a great job with all her rooms and even managed to give her the french doors she asked for. The bathroom was spectacular with all those Spanish arches and colorful tiles. Ingrate.

I didn't really like Eileen's kitchen in the first episode. Painted cabinets always look cheap to me and the square tile backsplash was ugly too. But I thought the rest of the house looked fantastic, and so was the patio. And she was genuinely moved by the picture wall. I liked her much better than Tamara and her relationship with her son was sweet.

• Love 1

I thought that window was a waste of a lot of money that could have been spent on something else, but the homeowner seemed pleased.  The son's room looked much better (and much larger) after the redo, and thank goodness they got rid of that step-up in her bedroom - that might be a hazard after one too many on a Sunday Funday!

I did think the homeowner on the second house was a little flat, but then that might just be her demeanor.  It didn't look like she had a whole lot of friends so who knows!

• Love 2

I am disappointed that Orlando has become a mainly white wall designer.  She says she likes blue and teal, and he even said to her, why aren’t there any traces of that.  And then he does the kitchen and living room in white with gray furniture?  He used to be more colorful..  

• Love 1

Oof, that was a sad one. I may have missed it, but I don't think they ever said what her budget was. Taking down all those walls couldn't have been cheap. I bet she got life insurance money for the project.

• Love 1

I liked that he didn’t go overboard with the blue...just touches on the pendant lights, and the pictures in the bedroom.  And the courtyard had the teal half wall.  I thought it looked light, bright and happy, which was just what she needed.  The backsplash tiles were gorgeous, and different from every other backsplash (which are starting to all look alike).  She deserved a beautiful home after what must have been 8 years of agony.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Oof, that was a sad one. I may have missed it, but I don't think they ever said what her budget was. Taking down all those walls couldn't have been cheap. I bet she got life insurance money for the project.

I think it was 100k

5 hours ago, MartyQui said:

I liked that he didn’t go overboard with the blue...just touches on the pendant lights, and the pictures in the bedroom.  And the courtyard had the teal half wall.  I thought it looked light, bright and happy, which was just what she needed.  The backsplash tiles were gorgeous, and different from every other backsplash (which are starting to all look alike).  She deserved a beautiful home after what must have been 8 years of agony.

I didn’t expect tons of blue, but most of the rooms were gray and white with very little color at all.  I am kind of over the white wall phenomenon, not that I was ever into it.  The rooms were nice, it is just he has done a lot of white lately.  I felt like him using the color outside was his way to avoid color inside.  

• Love 1

I'm just not feeling this show for whatever reason although the designer seems nice enough. Last night's episode was so sad; I felt awful for the wife and her two daughters.  However, that wig was so distracting. I just couldn't stop staring. I had a feeling that she was Orthodox and later on my feeling was confirmed.  Was Orlando really having his toenails painted during the pedicure?  Oh my!  I think I'm just really tired of all these renovation shows. 

1 minute ago, ECM1231 said:

I'm just not feeling this show for whatever reason although the designer seems nice enough. Last night's episode was so sad; I felt awful for the wife and her two daughters.  However, that wig was so distracting. I just couldn't stop staring. I had a feeling that she was Orthodox and later on my feeling was confirmed.  Was Orlando really having his toenails painted during the pedicure?  Oh my!  I think I'm just really tired of all these renovation shows. 

If you are tired of them, it is time to stop watching and do something that is worth your time 

3 minutes ago, DVDFreaker said:

If you are tired of them, it is time to stop watching and do something that is worth your time 

This is the place to express opinions.  I am sure they know they can stop watching if they want to.  I think this type of comment is common in these forums at one point or another.  It is easy to watch things that you don’t love and should just quit watching.

• Love 2
Just now, alexa said:

This is the place to express opinions.  I am sure they know they can stop watching if they want to.  I think this type of comment is common in these forums at one point or another.  It is easy to watch things that you don’t love and should just quit watching.

You are right 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, ECM1231 said:

I watched this on demand this afternoon and I was so distracted by the wig!  Especially when she had it braided.  Then I saw the mezuzah and I understood.  
Was this the season finale?  It was an hour long as opposed to the other episodes.  Maybe they had to stop filming because of Covid?

I did like the end result.

During the remodel, they were talking about how she could now host "her village" - the people  that helped her through her loss.  I feel sad that Covid must be preventing her and her daughters from sharing their new space.

Edited by kirklandia
  • Love 1

Was this the season finale?  It was an hour long as opposed to the other episodes.  Maybe they had to stop filming because of Covid?

I guess not, since there's a new one listed for tonight, although it's been bumped to 11:00 ET. Not a great sign. New episodes of Home Town have taken its former slot.

It does seem like this last episode was when everything started shutting down, but they don't necessarily air these in order.

Edited by iMonrey
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I guess not, since there's a new one listed for tonight, although it's been bumped to 11:00 ET. Not a great sign. New episodes of Home Town have taken its former slot.

It does seem like this last episode was when everything started shutting down, but they don't necessarily air these in order.

They have moved all of their new shows to 11.  They do this all of the time...create a new show and then move it to 11.  So annoying.

• Love 1

He was never this one note before.  Both of the designs last night...guess what...lots of white and earth tones.  Shocking.  The whole season has been mostly white.  Okay, I am out.  ( yes he did a random rooms in color but his tendency and preference is white)

Well he has to give the home owners what they want, and neutral colors, gray and white are the style now. It's a vicious cycle - it's the style because HGTV shows keep telling people it's the style and they feed into it. He did give the 2nd home owner a "grape juice" bedroom though.

The one thing I didn't like about the 2nd kitchen was putting the microwave under the island counter. You'd have to bend down or kneel down every time you put something in and took something out. (For that matter I have never understood the trend of putting it over the range, either. Lots of people are too short to reach up that high.)

• Love 1
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

Well he has to give the home owners what they want, and neutral colors, gray and white are the style now. It's a vicious cycle - it's the style because HGTV shows keep telling people it's the style and they feed into it. He did give the 2nd home owner a "grape juice" bedroom though.

The one thing I didn't like about the 2nd kitchen was putting the microwave under the island counter. You'd have to bend down or kneel down every time you put something in and took something out. (For that matter I have never understood the trend of putting it over the range, either. Lots of people are too short to reach up that high.)

I agree that they follow trends, but I don't think most of the homeowners asked for white.  In fact more than one of them asked for certain colors and each time he said something like I will put that color in the accessories or something like that--alluding that he had no interest in wall color.  And in some the homeowners alluded to wanting the color on the wall, and he just went forward with whitish walls and plain accessories.  It was so odd.  Anyway, I think that is his thing right now...he didn't used to be that way, and in fact he is very late to the game.  The all white came in years ago, and is kind of going a out again...more color is popping up.  

And then when he did do color in these last two episodes, he picked colors that weren't the best imo.  

I didn't see that about the microwave...strange.  I often wonder why they work so hard to hide all appliances...the smaller ones that are less used, makes sense, but otherwise just let people use them.  

At any rate, I removed it from my dvr.   I liked the first version of his show much better...something changed this time around for me.  

My son is in process of getting some kitchen living room work done and all three contractors suggested that under counter microwave that’s in a drawer. and darn thing costs 1500 by itself.   They’re not interested in it at all. They also want similar wall taken out and if load bearing 5,000 more. 
The 50,000 for mother and little daughter really got a lot accomplished. Loved everything and a big change on that blue tile fireplace. I like that he explains what color does in the small room and why the lighter color works. 
The only thing I’ve dislike that he’s done In all episodes was some green orange? wall paper in a dining room. Couldn’t live with that but she loved it. 
When the woman said her favorite color was teal he told her he wouldn’t paint that but pick it up in accents. The living areas were a tone of aqua with similar tiles in kitchen. 
hgtv isn’t responsible for trendY  colors it’s much more complicated than that. 
There was a time beige was the neutral (for years ) also known as brokers beige because it’s palatable for resale. . I personally have not crossed a  entry door when I saw royal blue on carpets and walls.  I also sat in a former bosses house that had teal carpets drapes and furniture.  Nightmare. 
I won’t watch David Brownstad any longer someone I used to like , but he he used one too many faux white deer heads and his own splash paintings for me. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

Last night's episode was an improvement. In a move I found inspiring, he got the divorcee to purge the crap out of her place. Lots of these shows remove tons of stuff from messy homes, but my sense here was that it didn't end up in a rented storage locker somewhere. 

And while it wasn't my taste, the bathroom was at least something I don't see on most of the other shows. And it seemed to suit her well. Plus her boys looked pretty happy with their rooms. 

I'm a shower person, don't get the attraction of those giant dumpster baths. But be happy.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, buttersister said:

Last night's episode was an improvement. In a move I found inspiring, he got the divorcee to purge the crap out of her place. Lots of these shows remove tons of stuff from messy homes, but my sense here was that it didn't end up in a rented storage locker somewhere. 

And while it wasn't my taste, the bathroom was at least something I don't see on most of the other shows. And it seemed to suit her well. Plus her boys looked pretty happy with their rooms. 

I'm a shower person, don't get the attraction of those giant dumpster baths. But be happy.

I didn't watch it all but I actually added it back to the dvr because it looked like a better episode than some of the others.  

• Love 1

I stayed up and watched the second episode, with the fluorescent yellow kitchen cabinets.  I would have never picked that in a million years, but the homeowner seemed to like them.  But she ran a daycare out of her home and they appear to have removed a back door.  I wonder if she could get into trouble for that?  It had an exit sign like those found in commercial buildings and removing it may have been a code violation.

• Love 2

Regarding the yellow kitchen house...how in the world did he do all that work for $50,000? My mother had her bathroom redone (by Bathfitters, so a one day deal, plus a new vanity and toilet (that my BILs installed)),and it was $6000.  It just makes no sense.

I am pretty sure the daycare woman episode is from Unspouse my House. If so it would make sense that he used so much color.  He used to use more color than he does now.  I feel like it looks familiar.  Yep, just saw Deanna mentioned in the Unspouse my  House thread.  

Edited by alexa
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, alexa said:

I am pretty sure the daycare woman episode is from Unspouse my House. If so it would make sense that he used so much color.  He used to use more color than he does now.  I feel like it looks familiar.  Yep, just saw Deanna mentioned in the Unspouse my  House thread.  

Yes it was. I talked this show up to my son because he’s in the process of getting bids and plans from contractors  to knock a wall and redoing kitchen and we’re in California.  He got the news that knocking a wall down if not load bearing it was going to be $50,00 ( if load bearing another 5,000 and it would be half type wall ) and they don’t supply appliances or  CABINETS!  So what he’s able to do doesn’t make sense. I understand these shows you don’t keep the furniture but they do indicate laborsomething is amiss.  Other show long ago when they got in a bind the designers would say I called in a favor etc.  The yellow kitchen redo he did say he got floor sample appliances. 

• Love 1

Ha, awhile back I'm in a pro stone and tile place discovering the veined quartz countertop that's now ubiquitous. The consultant gave me a tour of possibilities and echoed the complaint the contractor had entertained me with: Those remodel TV shows have prices and timelines that are a joke. Except not funny because they had clients who didn't understand why things cost so much/took so long.

• Love 1

Those Jetta tubs can be pretty relaxing though. Not a bath person either but if you have sore muscles they can be heavenly.

What's strange is that he put in French doors right behind the tub. It didn't look like there would be room to open them unless they swung outward, and they didn't show what was outside the doors either.

The kids' rooms looked nice and so did the renovated garage area. 

I am pretty sure the daycare woman episode is from Unspouse my House.

She was. So it seems like this is basically the same show with a different title. It's the same concept and format so I wonder why they changed the name. Maybe they thought "Unspouse My House" was too negative or something. I recall the subject coming up when that show first aired, a lot of viewers came into it thinking there would be a lot of ex-spouse bashing going on but were surprised at how positive it was. 

59 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Those Jetta tubs can be pretty relaxing though. Not a bath person either but if you have sore muscles they can be heavenly.

What's strange is that he put in French doors right behind the tub. It didn't look like there would be room to open them unless they swung outward, and they didn't show what was outside the doors either.

The kids' rooms looked nice and so did the renovated garage area. 

She was. So it seems like this is basically the same show with a different title. It's the same concept and format so I wonder why they changed the name. Maybe they thought "Unspouse My House" was too negative or something. I recall the subject coming up when that show first aired, a lot of viewers came into it thinking there would be a lot of ex-spouse bashing going on but were surprised at how positive it was. 

We did mostly know it was the same show with a different name.  What I didn't expect is that they would have what they call a new episode, but is really from the old show.  lol.  And it was striking difference for me.  I had taken it off of the dvr because I have found the new rendition to be very bland (as I have said too much already above), and then put it back on the dvr because he had some variety in these latest episodes.  It made me realize I wasn't imagining things.  I really did like the show on its first run better. 

I think it is almost done regardless...it moved to 11pm quickly, and recently they even added an extra hour of House Hunters to be put in the shows original spot.  HGTV is not kind to the designers of the new shows they add--they bury the episodes.  

44 minutes ago, alexa said:

We did mostly know it was the same show with a different name.  What I didn't expect is that they would have what they call a new episode, but is really from the old show.  lol.  And it was striking difference for me.  I had taken it off of the dvr because I have found the new rendition to be very bland (as I have said too much already above), and then put it back on the dvr because he had some variety in these latest episodes.  It made me realize I wasn't imagining things.  I really did like the show on its first run better. 

I like Orlando and was happy to see him back. That daycare show is one that I'd seen before on his previous Unspouse My House show and I remember thinking when I first saw if that the half bath was a good idea. However, I wondered even then if there was another door to the back yard. It didn't look like there was one in the kitchen and it would be a nuisance not to have a door to the yard. 

• Love 1

As far as costs go- we redid our fairly large kitchen 6 years ago.  We kept the existing footprint but got new cabinets, granite countertops , a sink,  tile backsplash, new pantry door,  plus a cooktop and hood, which we had vented outside, because the existing one just had a filter.  Also a good quality RO system for drinking water.  We kept our existing tile floors and other appliances which were fairly new. The cabinets are mid-range price, the granite was a bit pricier.  Total came to $30K- materials and labour.  We picked our own materials and hired the contractors ourselves.  

So all that work for 50K? I am guessing HGTV gets deep discounts, plus there must be some compensation for appearing on the show.

• Love 2

I had taken it off of the dvr because I have found the new rendition to be very bland (as I have said too much already above), and then put it back on the dvr because he had some variety in these latest episodes. 

You have to wonder how much of this is dictated by HGTV. I can easily imagine their main sponsors (Home Depot and Lowes) discouraging wild designs and unusual colors because it would be less likely to encourage people to remodel and renovate. That's basically the whole point of these shows, to make everyone want to redo their homes. 

• Love 1