Type keyword(s) to search

Build Me Up - General Discussion

• Start Topic

14 hours ago, Barlowe said:

https://orlandosoria.com/2022/01/10/a-covid-comedy-of-errors/

Its a long blog post but if you skim to the good parts, Orlando talks about the show being cancelled and his perspective on HGTV

Wow, that was interesting!  I was shocked at how little they paid per episode--I mean, that is just beyond crazy.  I knew all of the smaller shows that didn't run long, and were often cancelled quickly (as hgtv does this to all of their smaller shows in order to feature their well known shows), that the stars didn't make as much as some, but $5000 per episode for all of that work?  Not good HGTV.

2 hours ago, alexa said:

Wow, that was interesting!  I was shocked at how little they paid per episode--I mean, that is just beyond crazy.  I knew all of the smaller shows that didn't run long, and were often cancelled quickly (as hgtv does this to all of their smaller shows in order to feature their well known shows), that the stars didn't make as much as some, but $5000 per episode for all of that work?  Not good HGTV.

it was also interesting to read about how he’d spent years pitching and trying to sell the show. I remember hearing about the concept being based on his own experiences redecorating after an ex but I think that’s what really makes his disappointment sting most. It seems nowadays most of these new shows are influencers who get offers by HGTV to start a show without having to shop around an idea or have any design background or they’re like good bones where they have a small/starter business and can take the pay cut in the early days while HGTV gives them exposure to grow the business.

• Love 1