Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E07: Stand-Up Smackdown

• Start Topic

What kind of fuckery was Kennedy's lipsync? She was told to throw it.  Kennedy not doing a death drop??!! It looks like they took a corset and strapped that shower curtain onto her right before she went on stage, so all she could do was promenade around. Cracker looked like a Preteen ice skater.  Terrible!

This season blows compared to last regular season.  At least there is a lot of sisterhood and none of that throwing out the person whose on top--although it seems the producers were hoping to get that result by messing with the format 

• Love 4
53 minutes ago, WhineandCheez said:

At least there is a lot of sisterhood and none of that throwing out the person whose on top--although it seems the producers were hoping to get that result by messing with the format 

I thought they were actually trying to defuse responsibility a bit so nobody would pull a Ben de la Creme (& I loved Ben de la Creme & completely sympathized with her decision - it showed what a rotten format it was). 

Someone else suggested Cracker was influenced by producers not to boot out a strong competitor, but I think she was just trying to create a little false drama they could use by suggesting she might vote out Shea even though she was never going to do that (Alexis might have, & I think it was why she got booted a round early, but Cracker would be constrained both by a sense that it wasn't fair & that it would cause a backlash and make any resulting win sort of empty. When the strongest competitors get axed prematurely I basically don't feel like the winner was really a winner, just the last one standing, & I couldn't see her as more than that unless she somehow actually beats Jujube & Shea in the finale..) I mean, I'm sure it crossed her mind, as it would any of theirs, but I doubt she entertained the option for any length of time. It just doesn't feel in character to me.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I agree. My first name is not as common as Jennifer was in the 80s, but there's a pop culture reference that just about everyone associates with my name so it's not unusual when I meet someone new that I get that particular pop culture reference yelled at me.

There are a lot of things that aren't super annoying the first 9542387513232 times you hear them, but get pretty old after a while (especially when other people think they're being OH SO CLEVER when they make these references). When I get that pop culture reference yelled at me, I have to try not to roll my eyes and say, "Yeah, I've never heard that before."

... Yo ... Adrienne? 

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
(edited)
16 hours ago, Lois Sandborne said:

... Yo ... Adrienne? 

Roxanna - you have NO IDEA how many times I've heard "Roxanne"  by The Policy...heavy sigh...at least it's a legit song.

Edited by RoxiP
  • Love 5
(edited)
6 hours ago, Just Carol said:

Jane Krakowski got her start as a dancer.  See this movie. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dance_with_Me_(1998_film)

(And she did a series of commercials for orange juice drink.)

I can remember for the longest time i mixed her up with Kristin Chenoweth, and when i got that right it switched to the mom on Malcom in the Middle.  Not by appearance but their names i think are similar.  Course i couldnt tell you what it is right now

Edited by ForumLou
Got it, Jane Kaczmarek (Malcolm's mom)
4 hours ago, ForumLou said:

I can remember for the longest time i mixed her up with Kristin Chenoweth, and when i got that right it switched to the mom on Malcom in the Middle.  Not by appearance but their names i think are similar.  Course i couldnt tell you what it is right now

🎶 You say Krakowski, I say Kaczmarek

Let's call the whole thing off 🎶

• LOL 2

I actually have a soft spot for Cracker.  She definitely deserves to be in the final three.  That said, her lip syncs are always lackluster.  It always feels like she's biding her time and building up to something...that never actually transpires.  

As others have said, Juju has really emerged as the bright light of this season.  I'd watch any spin-off, baking challenge, or cat rescue show featuring her.  I just love both Juju and Shea.  

• Love 8

i think Shea's issues with season 9 go a lot deeper than bitterness about rose petal jokes. She made it clear in her intro that before that lip sync, she thought she had the season in the bag. And she keeps talking about it like she was screwed out of something that she was entitled to.

Speaking of entitlement...there's Blair. She really seemed to think that she was owed a spot in the final 3, without having any basis for it. (At least Shea could say she had the most wins in S9 - Blair's never had any!)

Blair's energy was very weird throughout the season. It seemed like she created a narrative in her head that she's the best, and she ran with it because without that delusion, she couldn't stand to look in the mirror.

And speaking of the mirror, the way she's distorted her appearance concerns me. Whatever she's done to her lips to make them duck-like was totally unnecessary. She was probably the most feminine-looking queen in the history of the show to begin with! Then there's the substantial weight loss from her season.

Some rape survivors end up distorting their appearance so that they won't look in the mirror and see the person who was raped. I hope that's not the case with her.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
24 minutes ago, Blakeston said:

Some rape survivors end up distorting their appearance so that they won't look in the mirror and see the person who was raped. I hope that's not the case with her.

I was wondering about early (first year?) sobriety - sometimes people get on an extreme exercise kick or temporarily get a bit control-freakish about diet for a while. 

• Love 1

Check your local PBS listings. Great Performances, showing 9pm Friday in my area, is presenting She Loves Me co-starring Jane Krakowski. This is the same story that has also been adapted as The Shop around the Corner and You've Got Mail.

The show? Yeah, hasn't been terribly exciting this time. There's more suspense wondering why Ru deleted all her social media.

• Love 2

Maybe I'm biased because I really like Shea, but I'm just not getting the "I deserved to win in my season and feel I was deeply screwed" vibe from her.  Yes, it does appear that she anticipated winning (And perhaps deservedly.  While I adore Sasha's Judith-Butler-loving ass, based on how the season unfolded I thought Shea had it in the bag, too!), but it's more that she's deeply mournful about losing, and she connects the loss to other traumatic events that occurred in her life around the same time.  She doesn't seem to ever be suggesting that Sasha didn't deserve the win or anything.  But I'm just basing this on the show; I don't follow any of them on social media.  

Also, on a shallow note, I realize it's likely just makeup but her skin is so buttery-smooth in her talking heads!    

• Love 7
On 7/18/2020 at 7:52 AM, bobbyjoe said:

What was up with Ru’s phone call at the end?  And I don’t mean what was it about for next week, I mean why was that done so awkwardly?  It felt like Ru just suddenly ended the phone call and the queens were like “uh, oh, okay, is this where we dance at the end” rather than a fun soap opera “to be continued, duh, duh, duh.”  Again I swear All Stars seems like it should be the easiest things to get right, but they consistently get even a lot of the little things wrong.

I do like the final three though, and at least they got to do interesting looks on the runway this time:  JuJuBees would have been one of my favorites on any season, and everybody had fun shoes.  Favorite judge’s line tonight:  “the heels have eyes”!

Listening to the Drag Her podcast this week with one of the producer/writers, a few things suddenly made sense. Apparently all season Ru had a different phone each week to "call" the Lip Sync Assassin, and it didn't make the air. She also said that the music cut out during this week's lip sync and they had to start over, which may have changed the energy of the performances. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
On 7/23/2020 at 1:34 AM, swanpride said:

Okay..that would make the phone less random.

Still a sh... song for a lip sync.

See and I think the right queen could totally kill that song.  It's not a prance, dance, do tricks song. It's a feel it and emote song.  Something like Juju's Black Velvet lip sync. Stand still and show emotion during verses,  move more during the chorus. Then again I LOOOOVE this song so I'm biased.

• Love 3