Type keyword(s) to search

Rory’s life

• Start Topic

I for one am never a fan of reboots when it comes to classic shows or movies, but after rewatching Gilmore girls, and The reboot, for the 5th time the idea keeps running around my brain and I wanted to share it with others who may or may not have the same idea in my brain.

At the end of Gilmore Girls a year in a life Rory tells Lorelai that she is pregnant and then it leaves us with a cliffhanger. I know the writers said that the story is never really over it just depends on timing and everything and that’s completely understand because you never want to ruin a classic show...

Now— with that being said, my idea would be Rory learning to be a mom with both lorelai and her grandmas help. She ends up settling down in stars hollow, but still has the dream of becoming a writer so she struggles to have the career she’s been chasing and being a mom. Obviously there’s room for improvement with my idea, but I wanted to opened up a conversation with other people to see if they have the same idea or even better ideas!

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 6/23/2020 at 9:38 PM, Itsjojobabes said:

I for one am never a fan of reboots when it comes to classic shows or movies, but after rewatching Gilmore girls, and The reboot, for the 5th time the idea keeps running around my brain and I wanted to share it with others who may or may not have the same idea in my brain.

At the end of Gilmore Girls a year in a life Rory tells Lorelai that she is pregnant and then it leaves us with a cliffhanger. I know the writers said that the story is never really over it just depends on timing and everything and that’s completely understand because you never want to ruin a classic show...

Now— with that being said, my idea would be Rory learning to be a mom with both lorelai and her grandmas help. She ends up settling down in stars hollow, but still has the dream of becoming a writer so she struggles to have the career she’s been chasing and being a mom. Obviously there’s room for improvement with my idea, but I wanted to opened up a conversation with other people to see if they have the same idea or even better ideas!

I think she ends up letting Lorelai and Luke raise her kid while she goes off chasing her undefined dreams. She eventually grows the fuck up, comes back to Star's Hollow and writes a book called The Gilmore Girls.

• Love 5
15 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I think she ends up letting Lorelai and Luke raise her kid while she goes off chasing her undefined dreams. She eventually grows the fuck up, comes back to Star's Hollow and writes a book called The Gilmore Girls.

And chasing married men, don’t forget those!

Poor Jess.  If he wants to get with Rory all he needs to do is get engaged to someone else.

• LOL 4
  • Love 4

I think it's clear the baby is Logan's. I think she tells him and he breaks things off with Odette to be with Rory. This causes the Huntzbergers to be even less thrilled with her than that were when they first met her. She struggles with the fact that she is raising her daughter (because there is no way she wouldn't have a girl) in the life her mother ran from. Both Lorelei and Emily would be very involved, each with their own parenting style, causing humorous drama. I also think that ASP actually never intended to have Rory turn out as a successful journalist so I see Rory going back to the DAR or something similar where she plans functions and slowly becomes a "lady who lunches". She mentally struggles with this as she has always heard that she needs to work hard and be Christiane Amanpour. This causes issues with her and Logan as she begrudges him his success.

• Love 2
21 minutes ago, BlancheDevoreaux said:

I think it's clear the baby is Logan's. I think she tells him and he breaks things off with Odette to be with Rory. This causes the Huntzbergers to be even less thrilled with her than that were when they first met her. She struggles with the fact that she is raising her daughter (because there is no way she wouldn't have a girl) in the life her mother ran from. Both Lorelei and Emily would be very involved, each with their own parenting style, causing humorous drama. I also think that ASP actually never intended to have Rory turn out as a successful journalist so I see Rory going back to the DAR or something similar where she plans functions and slowly becomes a "lady who lunches". She mentally struggles with this as she has always heard that she needs to work hard and be Christiane Amanpour. This causes issues with her and Logan as she begrudges him his success.

And then he cheats on her and she gains thirty pounds every three months.

• LOL 8
On 7/9/2020 at 10:14 PM, BlancheDevoreaux said:

Added Gilmore drama if, being out of the loop and all, it turns out that the day Rory calls to tell Logan about the baby is the eve of his wedding to Odette, causing him to dump her pretty much at the altar - cue much Huntzberger sturm und drang.

But I kinda like the idea that instead of joining Logan's world over Lorelai's, Rory would not immediately get back together with Logan just because of the baby, but that she would instead settle down in Star's Hollow, running the local paper while raising the child alone with Lorelai and Luke's help (if she really put her mind to it there's a lot she could do with that rag), while Logan would prove himself not to be Christopher#2 after all by moving himself and his business to Hartford in order to play an active part in the child's life and prove his commitment. Then maybe over time they might get back together and find a way to blend their two worlds, rather than having to choose one or the other. That's the future I'd like to see - unlikely though it might be!

• Love 4

Honestly, I think everyone hopes the kid will be Logan's and he will take care of it, but in my mind they totally set up Logan to become Christopher and Jess to become Luke. Rory raises the kid on her own because Logan is still abroad most of the time. Maybe he stays with Odette*, maybe he doesn't. But Jess shows up, and little by little, he becomes a father figure to the kid.

I actually like Logan before the revival so this is not coming from a hatred for him. I just think that if they were to do a new season, they would kind of "reboot" the story with Rory, but with early childhood, basically all we missed for Rory.

*worst French name btw, and I should know, I'm French. Literally never met an Odette. And if I did, she would be over 90yo.

• Love 6
15 hours ago, marineg said:

Honestly, I think everyone hopes the kid will be Logan's and he will take care of it, but in my mind they totally set up Logan to become Christopher and Jess to become Luke. Rory raises the kid on her own because Logan is still abroad most of the time. Maybe he stays with Odette*, maybe he doesn't. But Jess shows up, and little by little, he becomes a father figure to the kid.

I actually like Logan before the revival so this is not coming from a hatred for him. I just think that if they were to do a new season, they would kind of "reboot" the story with Rory, but with early childhood, basically all we missed for Rory.

*worst French name btw, and I should know, I'm French. Literally never met an Odette. And if I did, she would be over 90yo.

I can totally see this.

• Love 1
On 7/18/2020 at 8:38 PM, marineg said:

Isn't Jared Padalecki's daughter named Odette?  Was she born yet when this was on?

I think she'll get an abortion, regret it, and then blame everyone else for her decision.

• Useful 1

The theory I subscribe to is the one where Rory's book is successful and she leaves her kid in Stars Hollow for Lorelai and Luke to raise while she goes on tour, consults on the movie, writes spinoff stories based on her life, etc. I think her conversation with Chris is twofold: 1) the obvious part where she's debating on her next step with regard to Logan and the pregnancy (ranging from telling him at all to insisting he be an active parent), and 2) the less obvious, more subjective, part where Rory could be debating on how much she will be a part of her kid's life. After all, Chris was barely around when she was growing up and she turned out great (from the perspective of the people on the show). I'm cynical enough where Rory is concerned that I can see her leaving her kid with Lorelai in the misguided attempt to ensure that he/she will also turn out great. And Lorelai would be pissed but ultimately go along with it out of a desire to ensure that the grandbaby is happy and healthy while not wanting to alienate Rory.

I think we're supposed to see Rory following in Lorelai's footsteps in a positive way but her characterization by the end was such that I can definitely see her leaving the kid at the Crap Shack and being a parent like Chris.

• Love 5
5 hours ago, scarynikki12 said:

The theory I subscribe to is the one where Rory's book is successful and she leaves her kid in Stars Hollow for Lorelai and Luke to raise while she goes on tour, consults on the movie, writes spinoff stories based on her life, etc. I think her conversation with Chris is twofold: 1) the obvious part where she's debating on her next step with regard to Logan and the pregnancy (ranging from telling him at all to insisting he be an active parent), and 2) the less obvious, more subjective, part where Rory could be debating on how much she will be a part of her kid's life. After all, Chris was barely around when she was growing up and she turned out great (from the perspective of the people on the show). I'm cynical enough where Rory is concerned that I can see her leaving her kid with Lorelai in the misguided attempt to ensure that he/she will also turn out great. And Lorelai would be pissed but ultimately go along with it out of a desire to ensure that the grandbaby is happy and healthy while not wanting to alienate Rory.

I think we're supposed to see Rory following in Lorelai's footsteps in a positive way but her characterization by the end was such that I can definitely see her leaving the kid at the Crap Shack and being a parent like Chris.

High School Rory I'd say no or at least stay at the Crap Shack and raise her kid with the help of Luke and Lorelai. Sadly Yale and Revival Rory I could see doing just that either sneaking out of the hospital after giving birth or Lorelai waking up at the Crap Shack to find Rory gone, a note and the baby left behind. They've really shown us nothing to suggest Rory from season four on growing up and raising a kid and instead showing is someone who takes zero responsibility for anything in her life. Someone who could grow up or even hard working. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, andromeda331 said:

Sadly Yale and Revival Rory I could see doing just that either sneaking out of the hospital after giving birth or Lorelai waking up at the Crap Shack to find Rory gone, a note and the baby left behind.

My thought was that she’d write her book during the pregnancy, it gets released after baby is born, Rory does like the revival and goes back and forth between Stars Hollow and various promotional events with L/L taking care of baby, and eventually just stays away except for select holidays. 

• Love 4

I like the idea, but I can't really see it, it feels too dramatic for ASP and Gilmore Girls. The tone of the show is much lighter, and although I definitely think that Rory is capable of it, ASP has too high an opinion of Rory to make her a bad mom.

Plus, they couldn't do a show without Rory, and watching Rory being praised left and right at her book tour would be boring. She gets enough praise for not doing anything praise-worthy from her family.

• Love 1
54 minutes ago, marineg said:

ASP has too high an opinion of Rory

I thought that too the first 10 or so times I watched the show, but somewhere along the line I've come to feel that ASP was always setting Rory up to be a failure.

• Love 2

1 minute ago, chessiegal said:

I've come to feel that ASP was always setting Rory up to be a failure.

But was she really a failure though? I mean in the real world, yes. But in GG? I don't think so.

She was portrayed as smart, pretty, witty, popular, lovable, etc. She was loved by a whole town, had 3 serious boyfriends before finishing college, was valedictorian in high school, got accepted into the best US universities, graduated from Yale, was the editor of an Ivy League newspaper, participate in panels and school and town activities, (almost) always had good grades, (supposed) to have grown up poor and overcome her challenges(.... sure....), graduated college on time even though she missed a semester, got a job right out of college following an electoral campaign, etc. 

Obviously, there are a lot of things that happen between these events and she displays personality traits that leave me to believe this girl would not have succeeded half as much in the real world, as she did in the show. But even then, ASP made sure that everything Rory attempted/wanted, she succeeded at, even when it fell on her lap. [I'm not including the revival here...]

• Love 2

At the end of the series, Rory was in a good place. But ASP didn't write season 7. I feel with the revival that ASP got to put Rory where she wanted her to be at the end of the series, but she didn't get a chance since she got her nose out joint and walked away.

• Love 3

I just rewatched Fall from the revival and Rory realizes she's pregnant within a month of the last time she slept with Logan. So, depending on when he hears the news (assuming he even does) he may not do the math and realize the kid is his. And I think we're definitely supposed to see history repeating itself with Rory=Lorelai and Logan=Chris rather than assume that the Wookie or possibly Paul have a claim to paternity.

It also occurs to me that Rory has an out that I don't think Logan would challenge her on if she truly intends to raise the kid herself: Paris. All she has to say is that she went to Paris for artificial insemination after her final night with Logan and, based on how he was in the revival, he would probably accept it and move on. Knowing Rory that may be the story she tells most people as it prevents everyone from pitying her and sounds like she was taking control of her life rather than not using birth control. I would bet Lorelai, Luke, Lane, and maybe Jess (if he's truly meant to be the Luke) would be in the know but that may be it. Emily had chilled out in the revival so I don't think she'd try to convince Rory to force Logan to marry her but I can't see her agreeing to keep her mouth shut about it either. Lorelai and Luke, whatever their thoughts on Logan knowing, would stay out of it and let Rory decide what to do.

• Love 3

I really, really think it's clear that Rory is done with Logan by the end of "Fall".  

The thing that bugs me is that we are still getting a season 7 reboot.  I'm sorry, but what 30-something that is sexually active isn't on birth control...AND backing it up with condom use?  I mean...seriously, I'm married and I do not want anymore kids so I am making SURE it doesn't happen until DH gets the big V.  Rory isn't a kid.  This is a typical mistake when you are in your early 20's, but by the time you've lived some life you KNOW to use protection.  BC failure is rare especially when you have been using it for a while.  ALL of these type of shows act like it's so damn easy to have an oops pregnancy.  It happens, but lets be honest...this isn't the case with Rory.  She was being a dipshit.  Logan, man-whore of Connecticut, knows how to put on a rubber.  Grey's Anatomy was always pulling this crap with DOCTORS.  So effing annoying.  

So let's be real.  Rory, in the eyes of ASP, is 22.  All of this "failure" is to excuse the last 10 years.  She is absolutely pulling this crap on us...the circle of life.  Rory is Lorelai is Rory.  Rory is pregnant.  She has communication issues (great journalist) and won't tell Logan.  She will have the baby and great funny wit will ensue with Emily telling Logan and Mitchum, Lorelai freaking out about her "butting in", and Rory raising baby Rory...and flirting with Jess who moves back to Star's Hollow to write with Rory.  

I love the story.  I love GG so much, but ASP can't finish a story.  Seriously.  She's doing the whole "like mother like daughter" thing...which is absurd because Lorelai is just like her father.  Rory is Emily.  It's just sad that the amazing show that we all loved for the first 3-4 seasons is a pile of (to quote Emily in the best part of the whole series):  "BULLSHIT!"

P.S.  Dean was an ass in high school, Jess was an ass in high school, Logan was an ass forever, Chris was an ass in high school, Jason was an ass in high school....I wonder how ASP feels about high school boys?    Dean and Jess grew into nice young men.  Logan is still a cheating ass, and Rory is a douche.  

• Love 6

Rory publishes Gilmore Girls, the one book she has in her. The book develops a small cult following. Its devoted readers occasionally make a literary pilgrimage to Stars Hollow.  Lorelai sells the hardback edition in her inn's gift shop.

Rory teaches English and journalism at Chilton and lives with her daughter in Stars Hollow. She remains single, although there is a handsome Chilton history teacher who she finds to be annoyingly opinionated, and yet...

It's a good life.

• Love 3
On 7/22/2020 at 4:55 PM, scarynikki12 said:

Maybe a "like father like daughter" ending instead of the opposite.  I've always thought that Lorelai is more like Richard than Emily.  Business sense, witty...much more common sense.  

It'd be a very interesting twist to see Rory end up being a Christopher.  

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Meow25 said:

It'd be a very interesting twist to see Rory end up being a Christopher.  

She did.  Sleeping around, getting pregnant (just like dear old dad got 2 women pregnant), flitting around disregarding anyone's feelings (Odette/ Lorelai/Sherry/Luke) not caring who got hurt, not holding a job, living off inherited money.  LIke father, like daughter.

• Love 9

At this point I almost wish the show had just been The Gilmore Girl. Without Rory, Lorelai never would have had to go the her parents. There would be no Christopher, Max or Digger. It would just be the wacky antics of the Denizens of Star's Hollow. That may have been enough.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

I have mixed feelings on A Year In The Life - so in my head, I tend to treat is an "alternate ending." I know many fans dislike Season 7, but I loved the way David Rosenthal ended her story: Rory was single, on her own two feet, following the Obama campaign, and pursuing a career in digital media. Back in 2007, there was no doubt in my mind that Rory would go on to write for Politico or Huffington Post or any number of outlets. 

Rory's ending in A Year In The life isn't "bad" - it's just disappointing to me for a show that's supposed to be all about wish fulfillment. Although to be fair, it's not like Rory will ever have to struggle the way Lorelai did. Rory has the money Trix left her, Richard's trust fund, and a town full of Stars Hollow folks who would be willing to babysit at a moment's notice. Plus, it was already established that Lorelai wanted more kids (but was past childbearing age,) so I could see her happily jumping in 100% and helping out if Rory ever needed to travel to promote her book. 

Edited by vanillamountain
  • Love 5