Type keyword(s) to search

Alone: Preview and After Alone Discussion

SassyCat
  • Start Topic

I am liking all these contestants too. Also am sad for Correy that he had that bad luck with his knee. He would have gone far, I'm sure. 

Amos sure seems like a real contender to win this. He seems like he could do 100 days in awful conditions judging by his past life experiences. 

The after show where they showed contestants talking about the show. The guy in the top left corner of the two rows of talking heads. He sure looked mad and disgusted. I don't remember his name, but I'm wondering if he was someone who was forced to tap because  the medical team insisted he had to. He didn't look too happy.

• Love 5
21 hours ago, SassyCat said:

The after show where they showed contestants talking about the show. The guy in the top left corner of the two rows of talking heads. He sure looked mad and disgusted.

Roland.  I thought the same thing, he looked seriously irritated.  Last week someone posted that they didn't want to watch the aftershow because they were afraid something would somehow give away the winner.  Seems safe to say Roland doesn't win.  His rock house was seriously impressive, but he probably burned too many calories building it.  He was going like he was in a strongman competition.

There were two guys who said things that made me think "Well, he's not winning".  Amos was one of them, he was talking about missing his family.  And I can't remember who the other guy was (Correy I think?), he said he was there to see what lesson the land which teach him.  Gives a built in excuse to lose:  "I learned my lesson, I got what I came her for, no reason to stay any longer.  But he had to leave anyway, because of his knee.

• Love 3

See. this is why I need to stop watching the after show. I also was noticing their moods, and which ones' cheeks still look sunken. And which one was kind of bundled up, so as to perhaps disguise weight loss. I don't want to be spoiled and it's going to make me crazy!

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
21 minutes ago, TVbitch said:

See. this is why I need to stop watching the after show. I also was noticing their moods, and which ones' cheeks still look sunken. 

Ah, I hadn't thought of that angle about the cheeks.  Colby (the host) said they were talking about events from about two months ago, so anyone who spent some serious time there could be still be showing some signs of weight loss.  My DVR records the interviews as part of the regular show so I will be watching it.  But I'd probably be watching it anyway.

• Love 2
51 minutes ago, rmontro said:

Colby (the host) said they were talking about events from about two months ago, so anyone who spent some serious time there could be still be showing some signs of weight loss.

Yes, and then Correy said he'd been going to physical therapy for his knee for seven months (if I heard him right).  I ended up confused.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, mlp said:

Yes, and then Correy said he'd been going to physical therapy for his knee for seven months (if I heard him right).  I ended up confused.

Hmm, I think he did say that.  Very odd.  If the contest started seven months ago and finished two months ago, that's five months it was supposedly going on.  That's well more than 100 days.  Unless there were a few stragglers hanging on after 100 days and they decided to let them fight it out, and it went on for about 150 days.  

I could see them doing that rather than paying multiple contestants a million.  But more likely Colby's sense of time is a little off.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, ChristmasJones said:

I think I am going to stop reading here till the season is over. I'm going to watch each episode, but not the after-show segments. 

I made the mistake when Carleigh was on her second adventure on Alone by looking her up on Instagram when the season started.  She didn't have the usual weight loss one would expect with just having been on this show, so I had a bad feeling it didn't work out well for her - and unfortunately she went out quickly with the fish hook incident.   Avoid all social media by these people if you don't want to be spoiled!!  Sometimes it's just a photo that gives it away.  😉  

• Love 1

This is your place to discuss interviews with Contestants conducted by Colby at the end of the show and any previews. I'll pin a mod note in the thread topic to let people to know that all discussion of these issues should occur here. 

• Love 4
On 6/20/2020 at 7:32 PM, rmontro said:

Hmm, I think he did say that.  Very odd.  If the contest started seven months ago and finished two months ago, that's five months it was supposedly going on.  That's well more than 100 days.  Unless there were a few stragglers hanging on after 100 days and they decided to let them fight it out, and it went on for about 150 days.  

I could see them doing that rather than paying multiple contestants a million.  But more likely Colby's sense of time is a little off.

That would be weird if more than one were left at 100 days and they decided to let them stay longer to fight it out.  They'd have to tell them that there were others still hanging on with them and they've never done that before.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Yeah No said:

That would be weird if more than one were left at 100 days and they decided to let them stay longer to fight it out.

We'd have to know what exactly the contestants agreed to when they signed on.  The promo says whoever goes 100 days wins the money.  I would think the game would stop and a winner would be declared as soon as someone reached that point.  However, we don't know what happens if two or more contestants are still in it at the 100 day mark.  Do they keep on until one person is left or do they split the money?  I would think they'd have to award everyone still active the same prize if they fulfill the criterion but we don't know what the small print says.  I'm sure the producers thought about all the possibilities before contracts were signed.

• Love 2
21 minutes ago, mlp said:

The promo says whoever goes 100 days wins the money.  

From the History Channel website:

ALONE is the most intense survival series on television. This season’s participants will face the biggest twist in series history—a 100-day challenge for 1 million dollars. The rules are simple, survive 100 days and win 1 million dollars. Over 6 seasons, no one has ever lasted this long. Achieving this goal will be a struggle, especially when the survivalists have to endure the intense conditions and aggressive predators of the Arctic.

My reading of this is that all who last 100 days will get a million dollars.  But that may not be what the fine print says.

• Useful 3
2 hours ago, AZChristian said:

Achieving this goal will be a struggle, especially when the survivalists have to endure the intense conditions and aggressive predators of the Arctic.

They're counting on everybody tapping out long before the 100 days are up.  Wouldn't it be awesome if at least 2 people made it that long?  That might be quite the kerfuffle with the producers!  Hopefully they have a plan B in case that happens.  I think it will be pretty impressive though if even1 person makes it that long in those conditions.  It looks brutal!

• Love 3
23 hours ago, AZChristian said:

From the History Channel website:

ALONE is the most intense survival series on television. This season’s participants will face the biggest twist in series history—a 100-day challenge for 1 million dollars. The rules are simple, survive 100 days and win 1 million dollars. Over 6 seasons, no one has ever lasted this long. Achieving this goal will be a struggle, especially when the survivalists have to endure the intense conditions and aggressive predators of the Arctic.

My reading of this is that all who last 100 days will get a million dollars.  But that may not be what the fine print says.

20 hours ago, ChitChat said:

They're counting on everybody tapping out long before the 100 days are up.  Wouldn't it be awesome if at least 2 people made it that long?  That might be quite the kerfuffle with the producers!  Hopefully they have a plan B in case that happens.  I think it will be pretty impressive though if even1 person makes it that long in those conditions.  It looks brutal!

One of the biggest psychological challenges of alone is that you have no idea how long you have to last. It could be a couple of weeks to a year.

100 days will be very hard but knowing that is the number you need to get to for a million dollars does help.

• Love 4

Hey all, this thread should be used for any of the Colby interviews and preview. The overall change to the format is free to be discussed in the Episode thread or the Alone in the Media thread. 

Thanks!

I am enjoying watching the aftershow and seeing some of the uncut scenes. Roland once again looked extremely pissed and his body language with his arms crossed said more than his actual words.  Wonder what this could mean?

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, lizajane said:

Roland once again looked extremely pissed and his body language with his arms crossed said more than his actual words.  Wonder what this could mean?

I'm thinking either it's just his personality, or else medical took him out and he resents it.  Did you notice also after Colby praised Amos' underwear food cache idea, that Roland said he pulls ideas like that out of his behind every day?  Seems awfully defensive to me.

• Love 7
43 minutes ago, rmontro said:

I'm thinking either it's just his personality, or else medical took him out and he resents it.  Did you notice also after Colby praised Amos' underwear food cache idea, that Roland said he pulls ideas like that out of his behind every day?  Seems awfully defensive to me.

Yeah. But he couldn't think of any of them right now.  LOL.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
10 hours ago, rmontro said:

Maybe he got pulled or tapped out on Day 99. That would hurt.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, humbleopinion said:

Roland's flat affect makes it hard to read his tone....For all we know he and Amos are buddies and he is zinging him.....har har.

Roland seems to be more grim on the after show than in the wilderness.  He has an edge to him either way, but maybe he puts up some walls when he gets around people.  

• Love 3
(edited)
2 hours ago, rmontro said:

Roland seems to be more grim on the after show than in the wilderness.  He has an edge to him either way, but maybe he puts up some walls when he gets around people.  

I was wondering about that too.  Mr. Yeah No and I are both noticing that there are definitely fewer social skills among this group as opposed to former seasons, and it's obvious on this after show.  Well, you figure if you're the type that's THAT comfortable living out in the wilderness for potentially 100 days you might not be the most sociable type of person either.  I'm figuring that when the stakes were lower they could select some people based more on their appealing personalities than skills, but in this situation they have to favor skills (including the ability to go the distance) over personality.  

Edited by Yeah No
  • Useful 2
  • Love 3

I think some of it might be that Roland might not be comfortable on camera. I get that sounds stupid but there is a difference between a video journal and a tv show. I can see all of the contestants seeing the fIlming as a cool journal of their outdoor adventure and not filming a tv show. The more formal interview after the show airs would feel different.

Roland isn’t the most charismatic in his videos either, it could just be that he is a naturally intense or low effect guy.

• Love 2

Roland seemed very defensive to me. I think the show is already hinting that he either taps out or gets pulled due to weight loss/starvation. The little chevron indicated he burned 500 calories an hour building that shelter, and in the after show, we got a clip of him complaining about how bad his spot was for resources. Then he made an reference to drawing a bad bull in one of his comments, as if his lackluster performance thus far is due to a bad spot rather than his own mistakes. In other words, he’s already making excuses, and when Colby asked him what ingenuity Roland showed while out there, Roland didn’t have an example. Instead, he immediately got defensive and claimed he thought up ideas all the time. I bet he tapped out, and he will be unwilling to accept any responsibility for his own mistakes. To be fair, I haven’t liked him from the second he showed up on my screen, so I maybe judging him a bit harshly.  

• Useful 2
  • Love 4

Roland’s hair also didn’t like him, it’s long gone. He seems over it all. So he either has a great poker face, or he hates the world.

I loved Colby on Survivor, but he’s annoying me here, interviews are weird and his teeth are too freaking white. 😬

• LOL 4
15 hours ago, dbell1 said:

Roland’s hair also didn’t like him, it’s long gone. He seems over it all. So he either has a great poker face, or he hates the world.

I loved Colby on Survivor, but he’s annoying me here, interviews are weird and his teeth are too freaking white. 😬

It's like that Friends episode when Ross' teeth are abnormally white...you have to advert your eyes or your corneas will get burned.

Roland is a total chuckle buddy in his self released videos...Alone Zoom he has his game face on....

• LOL 1

I appreciated the discussion of all the equipment and cameras they have to cart around.  It gave me a better understanding of the mechanics involved in what we see and also of the difficulties they deal with in addition to surviving in the wild.  Obviously, they know what they'll have to contend with and agree to do it but I'm sure that doesn't make it any easier.  

• Love 2
16 minutes ago, mlp said:

I appreciated the discussion of all the equipment and cameras they have to cart around.  It gave me a better understanding of the mechanics involved in what we see and also of the difficulties they deal with in addition to surviving in the wild.  Obviously, they know what they'll have to contend with and agree to do it but I'm sure that doesn't make it any easier.  

Honestly, I don't see what they have to carry as much more than I see on tourists on cruise ship shore excursions.  Honestly, the women all carry huge purses, and the guys have cameras (some of which are HUGE) around their necks.  At least they have a backpack on Alone!!!  And on Alone, they're not as old as many of the cruise ship passengers.  And people from ships are weighed down with even MORE stuff on the way back to the ship.

LOL.

• Love 1
36 minutes ago, mlp said:

I appreciated the discussion of all the equipment and cameras they have to cart around.  It gave me a better understanding of the mechanics involved in what we see and also of the difficulties they deal with in addition to surviving in the wild. 

I think I would tap out just from having to lug all that stuff around.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

Roland finally perked up on this show when discussing the mystery of the musk ox.  So I'm guessing that he bagged it.

In fact, I wonder now, maybe his attitude hasn't been surly so much as perhaps an air of superiority?  Maybe he's the winner?  I think this is probably an unlikely explanation and that he's just surly.  But it's a possibility.  "That's right, I won, I'm better than these guys".

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, rmontro said:

Roland finally perked up on this show when discussing the mystery of the musk ox.  So I'm guessing that he bagged it.

In fact, I wonder now, maybe his attitude hasn't been surly so much as perhaps an air of superiority?  Maybe he's the winner?  I think this is probably an unlikely explanation and that he's just surly.  But it's a possibility.  "That's right, I won, I'm better than these guys".

Perhaps one of the reasons he could win Alone is because he is just honestly not that likable of a person and is just used to being well...alone.

• LOL 1
7 hours ago, rmontro said:

I'm with @humbleopinion on this that he has resting bitch/prick face, which accounts for the surly/superior look, LOL.

• Love 1
On 7/10/2020 at 3:12 PM, rmontro said:

After this latest episode I'm convinced that you're right that his demeanor is an air of superiority.  The other contestants have to be in awe of what he did with that musk ox.  He must be sitting there thinking he's better than any of them.  I'm not sure that means he won, though, but it would make perfect sense if he did.

• Love 3
(edited)

Mark...Room Rater 5/10 For your awesome display of weaponry..

Roland almost cracked a smile but you could tell he was happy showcasing his skills.

He gave the camera a double fisted raised arm pump.
Alone is the epitome of the reality shows, so he was especially jazzed to bring down big game in such a dramatic fashion.

Edited by humbleopinion
  • Love 1

I felt so bad for the squirrel who got his cache of mushrooms stolen! Callie looked like they just pulled her from the brush 5 minutes ago. Girl is not happy.

I have zero problem with Roland's face/demeanor on the aftershow and don't really think it necessarily means anything about his personality. I will not even activate the video on Zoom chats with my group of friends, because I know I will look like a bitchy sourpuss who HATES being there and can't wait for it to end ...mainly because I HATE being there and can't wait for it to end! Maybe Roland does too. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, TVbitch said:

I felt so bad for the squirrel who got his cache of mushrooms stolen!

I felt bad for the squirrel too  That was probably going to last it all winter.  That's the disadvantage to being lower down on the food chain, I guess. 

If Roland does win, he almost seems like a ringer.  They made several references to his doing this for a living.  They've had contestants on with similar jobs before, but Roland's skill set seems very well suited for this.  

• Love 2
1 hour ago, rmontro said:

If Roland does win, he almost seems like a ringer.  They made several references to his doing this for a living.  They've had contestants on with similar jobs before, but Roland's skill set seems very well suited for this.  

I've pondered the idea that this season they wanted hardcore professionals like Roland to make the show more interesting.  And perhaps the only way to entice people at his level was to lure them in with the 100 day/$1M challenge.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Haven't a bunch of them mentioned that they do this for a living or live this lifestyle? I am pretty thrilled that they found a group of people who really know what they are doing. It is a refreshing change and leads to a more compelling show. 

• Love 5
(edited)

When Colby was talking to one of the girls and Mark about Karma and they were both waxing rhapsodic about it, I was like, oh I hope he also asks Roland, cuz his answer will be hilarious! : D

Edited by TVbitch
  • LOL 1

I'm thinking how can Roland NOT win?! 

That puss he wears in the after show with the resting bitch face must really be ego posturing,  if he did win.

He's got a years supply of meat with that musk ox in that impenetrable meat stash locker he so artfully crafted. Great work Roland!

• Love 3
1 hour ago, SassyCat said:

I'm thinking how can Roland NOT win?! 

Yeah, he was actually doing a double fist pump at the end of the interview.  He looks like the winner, unless they're trying to swerve us.  The only real hope for a challenger is if Kielyn can get a moose.

• Love 2
28 minutes ago, rmontro said:

Yeah, he was actually doing a double fist pump at the end of the interview.  He looks like the winner, unless they're trying to swerve us.  

I'm beginning to think he went the distance.  I'm also thinking that maybe the producers told him not so much resting prick face, because he seemed a bit more animated and interested the last couple after shows.  Of course, they could be just messing with us.  he did say that wasn't enough meat for 100 days, but he said it would get him close.

Does Kielyn look like she's in a hotel room or is it just me? 

• Love 2

Maybe they told Roland not to give away that he won, and he has been overdoing that directive with the stone face. I do not think Joel appreciated Roland's matter of factly saying he knew an elevated meat cache would not work. : D

I totally relate to Joel struggling with being home. When I do a month alone at our forest cabin, re-entering the city is like that scene in clockwork orange (or Lost!) where they prop the person's eyelids open and bombard them with sound and images and shit. Just the noises inside my condo feel so instrusive! When the landscapers come it is like a full on attack! I have to wear ear plugs and blue blockers. I think most people are in a state of passive over-stimulation which may be why there is such a problem with anxiety disorders and such. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
13 hours ago, TVbitch said:

Maybe they told Roland not to give away that he won, and he has been overdoing that directive with the stone face.

It makes me wonder when these Colby interviews were done.  Are they done every week?  Were they all done in one day a week after the contest ended?  They act like they've seen the edited versions of the shows, which would suggest they are more recent.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, rmontro said:

It makes me wonder when these Colby interviews were done.  Are they done every week?  Were they all done in one day a week after the contest ended?  They act like they've seen the edited versions of the shows, which would suggest they are more recent.

The rooms seem to be different with the different interviews so I think they are done at different time periods. While each contestant knows what they did, they don't necessarily know what happened to the other contestants so it could be that they send them the episode a bit in advance of the airing and then complete the interviews. 

Have they told us if there could be more than one winner? Roland appears to be in great shape but we are just nearing the halfway point. There is a lot that could go wrong still. If another contestant gets a big kill or keeps up the steady small kills, they could go the 100 days as well. I suspect that they have not clarified on what happens if there are two or more 100 day survivors only because there are none or there is only one. 

Joel's comment about struggling is something that you hear from Survivor players every season. In some ways it is worse for them because they are coming out of a game where you are looking over your shoulder the entire time so you have the quiet, camping lifestyle and all the brings plus a duplicitous game that leads to trust issues. 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, ProfCrash said:

The rooms seem to be different with the different interviews so I think they are done at different time periods. While each contestant knows what they did, they don't necessarily know what happened to the other contestants so it could be that they send them the episode a bit in advance of the airing and then complete the interviews. 

Have they told us if there could be more than one winner? Roland appears to be in great shape but we are just nearing the halfway point. There is a lot that could go wrong still. If another contestant gets a big kill or keeps up the steady small kills, they could go the 100 days as well. I suspect that they have not clarified on what happens if there are two or more 100 day survivors only because there are none or there is only one. 

Joel's comment about struggling is something that you hear from Survivor players every season. In some ways it is worse for them because they are coming out of a game where you are looking over your shoulder the entire time so you have the quiet, camping lifestyle and all the brings plus a duplicitous game that leads to trust issues. 

it really is crazy how out there, all you want is to be with your loved ones and then when you get to civilization...all you want is to be alone.

I think some of these people will make a great living on Social Media and other places as survival experts, particularly if they came off well on the show.  Joel is good looking and personable...he could be the next Colby☺️🤭

When Roland said his musk ox kill might not be enough for 100 days, I was wondering how the hell would anyone else have a chance since no on has near as much meat as he does, as of now.

Of course, in the arctic, fat is much more important than meat. Too much lean meat can actually kill you.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, ProfCrash said:

I just assumed they were doing it rather recently and had them all online due to social distancing.  😄

• Love 1
On 7/17/2020 at 11:59 AM, TVbitch said:

I felt so bad for the squirrel who got his cache of mushrooms stolen! Callie looked like they just pulled her from the brush 5 minutes ago. Girl is not happy.

I have zero problem with Roland's face/demeanor on the aftershow and don't really think it necessarily means anything about his personality. I will not even activate the video on Zoom chats with my group of friends, because I know I will look like a bitchy sourpuss who HATES being there and can't wait for it to end ...mainly because I HATE being there and can't wait for it to end! Maybe Roland does too. 

Same. I don’t dislike him. I’m not sure I like him, he’s a little weird, but he’s not mean. He knows what he’s doing, he’s proving himself to be incredibly competent, his hut is solid, the meat locker is brilliant, and he schlepped almost an entire musk-ox back to his camp. He’d be a perfectly worthy winner.

• Love 5

Roland has a website and the videos he posts there show more personality than his Alone group Zoom appearances in which he is as stony as the dudes on Mt. Rushmore.

The Zoom has to be scripted and edited so no one spills the beans, so to speak.

• Love 1