Type keyword(s) to search

Alone: Preview and After Alone Discussion

SassyCat
  • Start Topic

24 minutes ago, rmontro said:

The main thing that irritates me is that we never got to find out what would have happened if there were more than one person who got to 100 days.

They never did spell that out so we know for sure but it seems to me that anyone who made it 100 days would have earned a million.  Otherwise, the premise announced at the beginning of every episode would be false.  From what I've read, this show costs several small fortunes to produce so the promised payout may not seem as huge to the producers and may be worth the risk.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, mlp said:

They never did spell that out so we know for sure but it seems to me that anyone who made it 100 days would have earned a million.  Otherwise, the premise announced at the beginning of every episode would be false.  From what I've read, this show costs several small fortunes to produce so the promised payout may not seem as huge to the producers and may be worth the risk.

I also wonder if they get it one lump sum or stretched out over 20 years or something like that.  It probably wouldn't matter much with Roland, because it sounds like he's just going to keep it stashed away.  Getting it in installments would help you out with taxes, but you lose out on interest if you're looking to invest it.

• Love 2

Wow, I'm actually surprised that I was onto something upthread when I wondered if Roland and Callie were the final two because they looked a little thinner than the others on this show.  Plus there was the way he complimented her in one of the episodes - he showed her a lot of respect.

I think Roland is sincere about spending more time with family BEFORE he runs away for a year, LOL.

• Love 4

none of them know more than a typical boy scout. They all insist upon wasting 1-2 weeks of prime foraging season on a leaky, not worth a hoot debris shelter, and have a fire inside to choke them. 🙂 What you want is to take the 12x12 tarp as 1/4clear material and  3/4 of it reflectorized material.  Then you can set it up as a Kochanski super-shelter in an hour. With a raised bed, hot rocks under the bed and a Siberian fire lay 'aiming" its projected heat at the clear, vertical wall of the tarp lean-to, you can raise the outside temp by  70F degrees inside of the tarp shelter.  The ideal winter shelter is the igloo. You can make one in one day, and it will raise the outside temps by 50F degrees, with just your body-heat, if you keep it small.  You dont want or need your shelter's interior to be 70F degrees, folks.  40F is plenty, given all of the debris you can get, a raised wooden bed that you can make in a couple of hours,  and all of the warm clotihng that they are allowed to take.  You can get the supershelter to 90F in the first few weeks, if ,say, you want to make some clay pottery. They should be making lots of netting out of the rope hammock and the 20x20 tarp, making a pontoon outrigger raft and using it to seine a baited portion of the shore-line, catching 30+ lbs of fish a day for a month. They are dumb to not move camp to a big kill. Thats just 2 hours, with the meat exposed to predators at one end of the move.  gut it, leave the head and legs with the guts, put the meat and fat up into a tree, trot to base camp in  few minutes (can't be more than 2.4 miles away) and haul the camp to the kill. Then, haul everything to where you can use a 400 lb boulder for the door of your ice-quonset hut for the meat.  All you have to do is pile snow on it, wet down the snow, let it freeze, repeat and have it be just 10m from your igloo. Set baited treblehooks and junglewhips all around the cache for predators, and be ready to emerge and arrow them when you hear noises.

Hunting with just one arrow is the mark of a fool.  Then, why not trot 20 minutes back to base camp, get more arrows, trot back and end the ox's misery?  Why let it suffer for 5 hours, like some complete A-hole? we have enough anti-hunters out there, without adding fuel to their fire!  There's no point in watching over the critter, since you can't stop it from getting outside of your 2.4 mile diameter circle of alloted land and then you can't have the meat. The way to take big critters is bait active game trails with salted , shredded cambium and salted fish guts/heads. That way, bears, wolves, moose, ox, whatever will start using the "salt source". When you see signs of such use, set a junglewhip there, with barbed stakes to wire-cable the critter to 200 lbs of drag log. The stakes should be triangular in cross section, bladed, serrated, fire-hardened, to maximize blood loss. the drag log makes them easy to follow and they are going to lay down within 100m and bleed out, probably within 50m.

Edited by batesj
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1

not a chance.  That cheapskate outfit would just have you split the million with any who made it that far.  However, this means that 3-4th place will now pay off pretty well, which is a much better deal than before.

Here's what they should have used for a shelter until the ground started to freeze hard.

They can also fold the 10x10 tarp in half, tie the edges, stuff the 5x10 with  12" of dry grass and have a nice blanket. Lay on a 2 ft high pile of debris and pull the blanket over you, and   you'll be fine until the ground freezes.  Make an 18" high box of poles, 8x5 ft. Take a  few hours, done at your leisure. Also make a triangular pole frame .  4x4x7 ft. When the single thickness tent is no longer warm enough., fill the box with debris, and center the pole frame on it.  Fold the 20x20 tarp in half, and stuff 15ft of one end with 6" of dry grass. Drape the stuffed end of the tarp over the little pole frame. Use cracks in the pole box to guy out the bottom edges of the tarp.  Guy out the top ends, too. Lay poles on each side and across the un-stuffed foot end of the tarp, and pile debris between the poles and the shelter, sealing those bottom edges.   The unstuffed end of the tarp is left draped on the ground,  used for storage. Tie poles to the sides and bottom of the head-end's "door flap", so that you can prop it up with 1-2 poles.  Stuff the 5x10 blanket into the shelter. Unstuff 2 ft of one end of it, and fold it back under your feet. At that point, youlll have 18" of compressed dry grass all around you when you get under the blanket.. Stuff debris between all layers of your clothing.  Size the clothing to allow this, while wearing all of it at once. ditto the 6 pairs of wool socks.  Cut up your 12x12 reflective tarp, using it and the duct tape to swiftly make an anorak, booties, mittens, leggings and breechclout.  When you go into your little sleeping shelter, move the anorak down around your thighs. You're allowed to take  5 layers of clothing for your legs, and 7 for your torso.  Stuff the backpack with debris and have it under the blanket, where it can go around your feet and lower legs, wearing all 6 pairs of socks and the booties. With the anorak and leggings and grass in between them,  you'll  sleep fine without any external heat source, down to -20F. I was unable to test it at lower temps. but if need be, you can have hot rocks in ashes-lined pits under your debris-bed.

On 8/22/2020 at 12:31 AM, humbleopinion said:

Take the lump sum, be done with the teevee people and disappear.....

agreed. To hell with the IRS and SS people, too, who'd take half of it.

On 8/21/2020 at 1:50 PM, rmontro said:

I also wonder if they get it one lump sum or stretched out over 20 years or something like that.  It probably wouldn't matter much with Roland, because it sounds like he's just going to keep it stashed away.  Getting it in installments would help you out with taxes, but you lose out on interest if you're looking to invest it.

it's lump sum. Fowler's got a yt vid about the IRS immediately getting in his face and wanting 30% of it, and SS wanting 12% and the state got a piece of it, too. He ended up with half, and then his wife ran off with the kids and took half of it, too.

We KNOW that they are not allowed to cut up the 10x10 tarp and nobody ever HAS cut up the 20x20, in spite of the obvious need to do so.  Therefore you must bring the 12x12 tarp and it should be a reflective tarp. Barry had one custom made. It's more versatile/useful by far than the  sleeping bag.  you dont need the ferrood, either, if you know the 5 easy ways to make fire without it.  Bow drill sucks.!   The bow, axe, saw, belt knife, paracord, and gillnet are all inferior picks. to the Cold steel shovel, modified to have 8" of saw edge, the modified Crunch tool, the slingbow, the 3 lb block of salt, the cotton rope hammock, the snarewire,, the big roll of duct tape,   Take the fishing kit as a big sewing needle, bent into the shape of a hook and  24 of the largest single hooks allowed. Cut them in half, reshape their ends, and use the fishline to bind them into treblehooks. Set them as trotlines. The only pick everyone else takes  that I agree with is the cookpot and ASAP, you need to make  3 of the baked clay  1 gallon pots, with lids, and 50 clayballs for use on small game with the slingbow.

You need to make the pontoon outrigger raft from (as of yet) un-needed clothing, make the three  100m each long chumlines, with a tarp/tape bait bag and a float tied to the lines every 5m. You need the tarp to make clothing, make food storage bags, make a dry bag for tinder, make a lean-to reflector for a fire on stilts out in the lake, to attract fish at night,before your middle of the night "run" with the seine.  You can make 4 baited net traps and a seine out of the hammock.

use the raft and the seine to "chivvy" the fish into the baited net traps, then close the gate on each one.  After you've got them all, use a small seine, dip net, spear to bank your catch, roll up the seine, open the gates again. rebait as needed. Fish are dumb, more will be back the next 7 hours.

Edited by batesj
4 minutes ago, batesj said:

agreed. To hell with the IRS and SS people, too, who'd take half of it.

it's lump sum. Fowler's got a yt vid about the IRS immediately getting in his face and wanting 30% of it, and SS wanting 12% and the state got a piece of it, too. He ended up with half, and then his wife ran off with the kids and took half of it, too.

Guess all that time "alone" wasn't good for the marriage...

• LOL 3
2 hours ago, batesj said:

He ended up with half, and then his wife ran off with the kids and took half of it, too.

I would say that's a surprise, but it's not.  Hope he has something left to show for it.

A reminder to folks, there is an ignore feature that you can use if you find a posters posts offensive. Please report posts that you find offensive and do not engage in the conversation.

Instructions for ignoring a user:

1) Hover your cursor over the users name.

2) Click the ignore user option

• Love 1

I wonder if going on this show (particularly for people who stay out a long time) has bad repercussions for people's marriages?

The last winner was Alone on the show and seemed like a loner in real life as well. 

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, qtpye said:

I wonder if going on this show (particularly for people who stay out a long time) has bad repercussions for people's marriages?

The last winner was Alone on the show and seemed like a loner in real life as well. 

I would guess that people who really like living solo and can do well on a show like Alone might have certain character traits that make it harder for them to maintain a marriage, regardless of gender. There have been contestants who are clearly strongly attached to others but plenty have discussed lives that feel almost nomadic and solitary. There is nothing wrong with that but I would imagine that that personality type would not be the easiest to be married to. I would say most of the people we have seen seem to have pretty stable families.

• Love 4