Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E08: Hide and Seek

AIRING JUN 14 /20

Lewis confronts Townsend in his office; Tiago interrogates Adelaide; Rio begs Mateo to forget his old family and embrace her and the Pachucos; Peter visits Linda at the asylum, only to find her ready for war.

It finally became a little clearer what Elsa wants with Herr Doktor. He’s not just the head of the Bund, but also seems to be its one dissenting voice against Hitler. Not to mention, he’s also a member of the Krupp family, weapons manufacturers. Elsa may pretend to be surprised by that, but I think the demon knew it all along.

Department of Meta Humor:  Peter arguing in favor of logic over emotion (in the Bund scene)... to New Spock.

I especially enjoyed the scene at the end where, instead of firing Maria as Elsa is pushing for, he gives her a raise and then tells Elsa “you wanted Peter Krupp, you’ve got him”. Funny how the meek little “damsel in distress” has moved in and acts like the boss of the household, but perhaps the worm has turned.

OTOH, it looks like his wife is not so easily beaten. Sounds like she comes from a rich and influential family — perhaps he should have considered that before throwing her in rehab and moving Elsa in. And apparently the kids aren’t leverage.

After the initial focus on the tea kettle on the stove, I was afraid the house was going to burn down or somehow scalding water would land on one of the Craft kids. And then disappointed that Frank’s nasty little stunt didn’t kill him so we wouldn’t have to look at his creepy face ever again.

Am I the only one disappointed we didn’t get to see how Josefina’s hair turned out?

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

Dr. Craft has nothing to do with Krupp weapons. He had his Tony Stark epiphany, but Obadiah is happy to keep the factories running.  If Elsa had spent more time with Herman, she would have convinced him to eliminate Craft.

Now Magda / Alex is playing Lewis...unless he already knows...

54 minutes ago, CarpeFelis said:

Am I the only one disappointed we didn’t get to see how Josefina’s hair turned out?

I guess we'll see next week that it's the same color as Molly's.

Thrilled to have Patti LuPone singing Stardust!!!!

• Love 3
40 minutes ago, paigow said:

Now Magda / Alex is playing Lewis...unless he already knows...

I don’t think Lewis knows anything. He hasn’t indicated he believes in the supernatural and Alex spoke Yiddish, “proof” she is Jewish. Lewis, having lost two of his friends would be open to finding more Jewish people to help him. 

59 minutes ago, CarpeFelis said:

I especially enjoyed the scene at the end where, instead of firing Maria as Elsa is pushing for, he gives her a raise and then tells Elsa “you wanted Peter Krupp, you’ve got him”. Funny how the meek little “damsel in distress” has moved in and acts like the boss of the household, but perhaps the worm has turned.

OTOH, it looks like his wife is not so easily beaten. Sounds like she comes from a rich and influential family — perhaps he should have considered that before throwing her in rehab and moving Elsa in. And apparently the kids aren’t leverage.

Magda is only a demon, and she forgets that the “Capt Save a Ho” side that she was able to use to manipulate Craft, also comes with the “Capt Save a Wounded Bird” side that wants to help people, nurture and protect others, his work as a pediatrician, his kindness to Maria are a part of that side of him that couldn’t stand to see a poor abused woman suffer any more (just without his penis getting in the way part). Also because Dr Craft wants to be a “good guy”, he couldn't have just offered his wife a settlement and ask for the divorce/custody of the kids, he had to demonstrate that she was unfit and a failure as a woman/mother to look good to society. 

I too want to see Josefina’s new hair! I thought she was going to emulate sister molly until she said she wanted it red. 

Very interesting (but not surprising) that Kurt was fine with the extermination of his community “places like this don’t exist in Berlin, not any more.”, so long as they kept him, because they could use him for his talents. So now we know where the rich white gay people party. 

• Love 3

I can't believe Maria took that deal.  "$5 per week more to deal with Satan?  Bye."

4 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

I don’t think Lewis knows anything

Possibly not, but he's the kind of detective that doesn't take people at face value.  Even if she wants to team up with him, in the back of his mind is the feeling that she's no friend.

"My roommate is from Bakersfield.  He husband has a dairy.  She misses her cows."  Hee.

That ending sure surprised me.  Lewis sure came back strong, pumping fire right back at the bandit.

• Love 2
(edited)

Elsa and Frank have failed to 🎼🎵 solve a problem like Maria 🎸

Did Maria get a free box of wooden coyotes when she bought all those candles? Hopefully, she has enough for the entire population of L.A.

Edited by paigow
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

I can't believe Maria took that deal.  "$5 per week more to deal with Satan?  Bye."

She doesn’t want to run away she wants to fight the demon. I think she’s intrigal to defeating Magda somehow. Tiago was touched by Santa Muerte but he doesn’t believe in any of this..... I’m intrigued how it will play out. 

3 hours ago, paigow said:

Elsa and Frank have failed to 🎼🎵 solve a problem like Maria 🎸

Did Maria get a free box of wooden coyotes when she bought all those candles? Hopefully, she has enough for the entire population of L.A.

We could only hope!

(edited)

I did not see the first series of Penny Dreadful. Will this season end on a big cliffhanger? Or will they resolve some or all of the story?

Edited by edhopper
(edited)

Thrilled to have Patti LuPone singing Stardust!!!!

She sure has been busy lately. She was in the mini-series Hollywood this year too. 

Will this season end on a big cliffhanger? Or will they resolve some or all of the story?

At this point, with only 2 episodes left, I'm guessing we'll be left with a cliff-hanger. Which is all the more frustrating without knowing when production will be able to restart. There's just been so much story build-up I can't see any of it being resolved by the season finale. 

He hasn’t indicated he believes in the supernatural and Alex spoke Yiddish, “proof” she is Jewish.

Were they speaking Yiddish? It just sounded like German to me.

Edited by iMonrey

@iMonrey it was Yiddish.

Lewis is a sharp guy who might otherwise know something is up with Alex, but part of Magda’s power is being able to exploit what’s inside of people. Lewis is VENGEFUL (rightfully so) and wants to see people pay for the murder of his cousin (and other Jewish people). An episode ago he was going to shoot the Nazi’s in the alley, not talk of a trial or justice or law and order. He WANTS to believe Alex is on his side, and Magda (as Alex) can play on his very understandable desire for revenge. 

• Love 2

I think Natalie Dormer is doing fantastic work in this, but her Alex voice is a source of constant amusement to me. It is the epitome of what a Brit thinks Americans sound like: they go extra hard in pronouncing the hard "r's" in their words. But she does a much better job with Rio. I wish I knew what Germans think of her Elsa accent.

• Love 1
(edited)

I think the accent is on purpose - by the demon, not the actor. She stands weird too. I think she's trying to not be from anywhere so no one could look too much into her. 

I'm glad the good doctor's wife is as poor an actress here as she was on Covert Affairs. Sounded like she was reading the lines off a card. 

Lewis is too smart to be taken in by Alex for me. Plus he has the coyote Maria gave him. That's got to come into play. As we have seen it had an affect on the 'boy'. 

I'm still bored by Mateo. Not by Molly's mom though! Her scene with Tiago was killer. 

I loved the scene with the high end gay bar. 

I'm also way past sick and tired that Tiago doesn't know about the sister. 

I'm surprised the doctor is putting his foot down with Elsa and not being led around by the nose. 

Edited by DoctorAtomic
  • Love 4
44 minutes ago, paigow said:

Why would Vice raid them? All the cops should be paid off by now.

Appearances. More kickbacks. Political shifts (for example you want your rival gone and you know they or a loved one will be in the bar- leverage). 

• Love 2

Patti LuPone is always great to see, even in just a cameo! 

I think Magda/Elsa is playing the wrong card here, Dr. Peter fell for sweet damsel in distress Elsa, not asshole lady of the house Lady Macbeth Elsa. She seemed to underestimate him, expecting him to just be led around by the dick, when instead he actually put his foot down on not firing Maria and not backing down from his anti Hitler stance. He wants to be the good guy, and thats not what Elsa/Magda wants or needs. So thats why Magda is so intent on getting with Peter, he is not only the leader of the bunt, but also the main dissenting voice on Hitler, and maybe even more importantly, his family are big deal weapons manufacturers, even if he wants nothing to do with it. 

I think that Maria will be the key to defeating Magda. While Tiego might be the chosen one or something, Maria is the one who believes, and has already told Magda to suck it every time she shows up to bride or frighten her. Hopefully she first defeats that creepy ass demon kid before he can hurt the kids. Hold onto that coyote kids!

Tiegos scene with Molly's mom was great, that lady is one smooth operator. I really hope that Tiego and Josephina can talk soon, they have a lot to discuss. 

So now Magda is trying to get her hooks into Lewis as well, playing into his desire to stop the Nazis and his anger and grief over his friends and his cousin in Europe, even coming up with a similar "lost family back in Europe" backstory for herself. Lewis is a smart guy, so I think that he could figure out that she is lying to him, but not so much that she is actually some kind of evil chaos demon.

• Love 4

OK, this is somewhat off-topic, but is Amy Madigan's skin really that wrinkled and sere in real life?  I haven't seen her in anything lately, but she's only two years older than I am, and she looks scary!

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, Roxie said:

OK, this is somewhat off-topic, but is Amy Madigan's skin really that wrinkled and sere in real life?

Maybe the make up crew for Thanos got hired...

• LOL 3
8 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

So thats why Magda is so intent on getting with Peter, he is not only the leader of the bunt, but also the main dissenting voice on Hitler, and maybe even more importantly, his family are big deal weapons manufacturers, even if he wants nothing to do with it. 

It would have been much easier to make younger, sexier Herman kill Peter. Also, the remaining Krupps in Germany will die if they refuse to work for Hitler, so Peter is irrelevant to that issue. 

On 6/15/2020 at 7:09 AM, Scarlett45 said:

She doesn’t want to run away she wants to fight the demon. I think she’s intrigal to defeating Magda somehow. Tiago was touched by Santa Muerte but he doesn’t believe in any of this..... I’m intrigued how it will play out. 

I think she also wants to protect the kids, especially the little one.

The little Frank actor is creepy as hell.  Good job kid!

8 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

I think Magda/Elsa is playing the wrong card here, Dr. Peter fell for sweet damsel in distress Elsa, not asshole lady of the house Lady Macbeth Elsa.

It does seem like she would have been more successful with some sort of long game of Maria being mean to her or talking about the wife to disrespect her or something.  But whether its part of her plan or just show pacing, action needed to happen faster I guess.

• Love 5

Tatiana Maslany on Orphan Black was the greatest actor I have ever seen on a TV show. Natalie Dormer is the closest thing to that in regards to playing multiple characters...actually 4 (Magda, Elsa, Alex and Rio). I think Tatiana played 7 or 8 in OB. I think Natalie is excellent here on this show (I never saw Game of Thrones so this is the first I have seen her). 

I remember Amy Madigan, who plays Molly's mother, in the excellent film Streets of Fire in the early 80's. She has been married to actor Ed Harris for decades.

14 hours ago, TexasGal said:

I think she also wants to protect the kids, especially the little one.

The little Frank actor is creepy as hell.  Good job kid!

It does seem like she would have been more successful with some sort of long game of Maria being mean to her or talking about the wife to disrespect her or something.  But whether its part of her plan or just show pacing, action needed to happen faster I guess.

The little Frank actor is also from the short lived sitcom, The Kids Are Alright.

(edited)
10 hours ago, BigDfromLA said:

(I never saw Game of Thrones so this is the first I have seen her).

She's better here. She didn't actually have too much to do in GOT in comparison. I'd actually rank here, Tudors, GOT for her roles. 

I think Maslany would kill her on the multiple roles skill though.

Edited by DoctorAtomic
  • Love 2
On 6/15/2020 at 5:24 AM, CarpeFelis said:

Department of Meta Humor:  Peter arguing in favor of logic over emotion (in the Bund scene)... to New Spock.

There is another, older, interesting connection: Ethan Peck grandfather (Gregory Peck) played a journalist who poses as a Jew to research an exposé on the widespread distrust and dislike of Jews in the 1947 movie Gentleman's Agreement.

• Love 1
On 6/17/2020 at 3:03 AM, BigDfromLA said:

I remember Amy Madigan, who plays Molly's mother, in the excellent film Streets of Fire in the early 80's. She has been married to actor Ed Harris for decades.

She was also Kevin Costner's wife in "Field of Dreams."

• Love 1

Some more meta, although a bit of a stretch: One of Piper Perabo's (Mrs. Craft) first movies was "Coyote Ugly."  A coyote theme?

I continue to find it odd to have the scenes of native German speakers (at the Bund meeting, and with Peter and Elsa) conversing in English.

Edited by J-Man