Type keyword(s) to search

The Brokenwood Mysteries - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I really miss Breen. Chalmers is fine, but Breen helped the semi-comedic tone of the show in a way that Chalmers doesn't.

(I think they've written Chalmers similarly to how they wrote Breen, archly sarcastic lines and all, but it's not coming off.)

• Like 5

FWIW, I've noticed a pattern in the episodes I like vs. the ones I don't like as much. The ones I like are fairly serious, leavened with touches of humor. The ones I don't like are the ones that deal in broad humor featuring "loony, eccentric" suspects and persons of interest. 

An example of a recent episode I really liked was the one with the real estate lady whose deceased father owned a house in a beach community, with a legacy at stake. Serious, with real stakes from the beginning. (It helped that the murder victim was a sympathetic character.) "Lunacy" was kept well under control, without sacrificing the touches of humor that give the show personality.

Just finished Season 9, Episode 1.  I have just one question.

When actors are in a show that is really dreadful, do they know it while they're acting?

Perhaps we should ask the folks in this episode.

Yeah.  It was dreadful.

So happy to see Brokenwood back. Nice to see some familiar faces: the Mayor, Dennis Buchanan, Roger and the pastor and, of course, Trudy. I still miss Mrs. Marlowe. 

I really enjoyed this episode and laughed out loud numerous times. 

• Like 3

Glad to have Brokenwood back! I enjoyed the episode--loved seeing Gina hanging out with Mike and Kristen at the theater (so glad she's no longer moping over Mike and unfriendly towards the rest of the team--Gina's change in attitude makes her a happier, brighter person and I love to see it, since I love the character).

Kristen hating musicals was funny, especially as she teared up in the end during the guilty person's singing confession.

The play was too funny, the songs were dreadful (but the singing was good, and who knew Frodo could dance?!?!)

Edited by kimaken
grammar correction
  • Like 6

I was so happy it's back!! And really enjoyed the show. Though the ending was sad. The victim totally deserved to die but the killer sadly ruined her life for nothing!! If Ralph and Trudy can get out so early for pretty vicious and selfish killings, then this girl should be able to for killing a sleazy guy who attacked her (and probably others!).

I was hoping Mike wasn't going to get married tho. It's ok if he doesn't want to, show!!

I loved seeing all the returns but I still miss Jared. 

• Like 4
  • Applause 1

Forgot to add:

I liked Chalmers more in this episode than previously. Gina seemed much calmer and more fun (Twister!) than in earlier episodes when she was moping over Mike. I hope that does not start up again if Mike and Beth(?) have called it off. 

• Like 7

I liked this episode, but I am disappointed that we didn’t get to see how they were going to tie in America’s national anthem to a history of Brokenwood.  

Frodo is quite a dancer for a guy who limps because he shot himself in the foot.

If Ralph only served seven years for his totally indefensible murder, Vickie should be out in about a day and a half.

• Like 5
10 hours ago, Mittengirl said:

I liked this episode, but I am disappointed that we didn’t get to see how they were going to tie in America’s national anthem to a history of Brokenwood

I thought they found out he was writing the script/songs for a musical set in America with --wood as part of the name of whatever American town he wanted?

• Like 3

Saw the final episode of S8 last night. I just have to vent. It was everything I hate about this show. That silly, unserious pair from the mortuary...the idiot volunteer firefolks...they all went together to make a very unserious, and therefore unhumorous episode. Humor arises from reality, not spuriousness. Hoping for more of the Brokenwood I like in S9.

• Like 1

The season opener was fairly good - I have seen some (very) local theater that was not really all that much better, lol. The murder weapon/method was a little too contrived - if he had been standing just an inch or two off, all it would have done is clonked him on the head (which, really, if it had fallen from high enough might have done the job anyway). Might have been enough just to drop a single heavy fixture rather than trying to go to unlikely electrocution.

Love that Kristen, who has no love life of her own, is getting actively nosy/defensive about everyone else's. And that Gina invited Kristen to the theater, completely separate from anything to do with Mike. Missy and Trudi (Trudy?) are two similar strong-willed, independent women and I hope we see more of them, although I still don't understand, given what she was (twice) convicted of, Trudi is free.

I suspect Mike's not-really-quite-ex will play a role this season.

On 4/13/2023 at 9:06 AM, dgpolo said:

I thought they found out he was writing the script/songs for a musical set in America with --wood as part of the name of whatever American town he wanted?

Which, was funny, given "Captain Cook's" role. Unless you are talking about a setting in Hawaii (where Captain Cook was killed on his third visit for annoying the heck out of the islanders yet again), kind of hard to work Captain Cook into a US production, just the way the Statue of Liberty doesn't really work in an NZ production.

• Like 1

I'm sure the musical was meant to be deliberately awful, but aside from getting to see Frodo dance I was really wishing the opening would have been cut in half timewise.   It kind of reminded me of sitcoms staging a musical episode so the regulars get a chance to sing and dance for a change.

Not sure why they thought the Statue of Liberty was a good idea either though it made sense as the thing that finally drove Missy away.

I really liked Missy in her first appearance in the otherwise awful cowgirl themed episode, and was hoping they could bring her back for more scenes with Chalmers.  Then when I thought she might be the killer I was really annoyed.  Fortunately she wasn't so I hope she comes back.

Great to see Dennis Buchanan again.  His twisted legal logic always makes me laugh.

I could have done without Ralph coming back, though, he makes my skin crawl.

I miss Mrs. Marlowe and Jarod too.

• Like 2

The 2nd episode of Brokenwood seems to have found it's footing, and I enjoyed it much more than the first one that aired last week.  This one had lots of plot twists, and held my interest more than the first one.  I noticed in last week's episode and this 2nd one that the music is a bit different.  Not as "country" as in past seasons.  I miss the music by the singer whose songs were featured in last season. 

• Like 1

While I like the way Brokenwood has been bringing back characters (particularly this season) sometimes I can't remember who they are or what the back story is. I thought they did a good job helping me remember who Jools was. This IS the 9th season, and my memory for a character who was in the series 7 - or however many - years ago is not that good.

So at this point we have:

The pastor/preacher

His boyfriend

Dennis the lawyer. Liked the way, first episode, he kept coming up with more and more far-fetched explanations of his client's innocence and then just gave up.

Trudy (I forget, what happened to her brother?)

Missy

Frodo (of course)

Jools

I think we've seen the pharmacist as well?

It would be nice to have Miss Marlow back, maybe just as a cameo.

• Like 4
2 hours ago, WildPlum said:

While I like the way Brokenwood has been bringing back characters (particularly this season) sometimes I can't remember who they are or what the back story is. I thought they did a good job helping me remember who Jools was. This IS the 9th season, and my memory for a character who was in the series 7 - or however many - years ago is not that good.

So at this point we have:

The pastor/preacher

His boyfriend

Dennis the lawyer. Liked the way, first episode, he kept coming up with more and more far-fetched explanations of his client's innocence and then just gave up.

Trudy (I forget, what happened to her brother?)

Missy

Frodo (of course)

Jools

I think we've seen the pharmacist as well?

It would be nice to have Miss Marlow back, maybe just as a cameo.

Yes - the pharmacist is also the mayor. 

• Like 1

I have a question about the second show.  So apparently Gaia wasn't really Gaia?  And her own mother couldn't figure that out? And Mike et al. didn't even question in passing then that maybe the mom might be part of the scam? Not saying she was, just odd that it didn't come up.

Or did I miss something?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, roseha said:

Or did I miss something?

Yes, you missed something. LOL  Gaia/Zara was the real Gaia/Zara. The death notice was applied for but not filed, so Tumaka could "prove" to Jonty he had killed Gaia (instead of having an affair & creating a child with her)

Ginny found the note in the motel room about the "Wadsworth Party" - not knowing it was a job, she thought Gaia was partying with the Wadsworths while begging her mom for help & money. 

• Like 2
On 4/18/2023 at 9:04 AM, laredhead said:

The 2nd episode of Brokenwood seems to have found it's footing, and I enjoyed it much more than the first one that aired last week. 

Yup, definitely agree with this. This episode was actually pretty interesting and it was kinda cool to see some of the old characters show up again. It's funny with shows like this how often people get caught up in a murder plots. Like wouldn't you think, it's time to move! 

I only just started to watch the show and I'm already doing a rewatch, so I'm glad to have a new season.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, WildPlum said:

So Mike just ... drops the the prosecution of the "nuns"? Yeah, no, not even here in Oregon, where pot is legal, does that fly.

Well, considering murder only got Ralph St. John (Rafe Sinjin) seven years, I can believe a bunch of abused women would only get a few months, or only probation, for selling pot and donating the proceeds to charity.  Plea bargain down to just growing pot, express remorse, throw in some community service and you walk in one door of the jail and out the other on the same day.

Does Mike still have his vineyard?  It doesn’t seem like we have seen it in a while.

• Like 3

This episode really took an unexpected turn midway through with the revelation that the order really did not exist. 

Interesting to see a glimpse into Kristen's past. I liked seeing Todd Taylor show up and was particularly glad to see that Beth is back. 

Gina's comment about the nun's dress cracked me up. 

• Like 2
12 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Just watched the latest ep... I'm glad Hercules found his real mom.  LOL.

Yes, but kudos to Frodo for trying to do right by Hercules! Loved Chalmers besting those bratty kids by using handcuffs on their bike tires, too.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1

I loved Chalmers getting the boys! What little punks they were. I'm so glad Frodo is appearing all the time but dang, he's like a murder magnet. No matter where he goes, he ends up around the murder lol. Poor guy!!

• Like 1
  • Applause 2

I really liked the vet episode.  Just the right mix of multiple suspects and comic relief with Frodo and his pet.  I particularly liked the scene where Chalmers was in the office and one person after the other gave him the exact same runaround.  I did kind of suspect the killer though as the show went on though I wasn't at first sure why.

Missy's been a great addition to the show I think.  The actress is funny and she gives Chalmers someone to relate to and trade quips with.

I wonder how long Mike's marital status will hang in the air.  When Beth said she didn't want to play footsie I didn't think she was talking about Hercules!

• Like 2
  • Applause 1

Sorry they ended the Beth and Mike arc, but I didn't expect he'd wind up married.

I wish Mike and Beth had discussed his work addiction, as Tabatha had with Beth.  Beth had seemed okay with Brokenwood and with Mike's job.  I'm sure that if the show had wanted them to remain a couple, they could have worked it out and they wouldn't have written the "they're moving back to Beth's hometown and so Mike will retire" scenario.  What was Mike going to do while Beth was at work?

• Like 3
12 hours ago, buckboard said:

Sorry they ended the Beth and Mike arc, but I didn't expect he'd wind up married.

I thought it was pretty mean what Tabatha was doing to avoid signing the divorce papers but in the end, she helped Mike prevent another divorce in his future. I don't think Mike would have been happy for long if he retired from police work. Even during the weekend getaway with Beth, Mike was trying to work out the case Sims and Chalmers were dealing with back in Brokenwood.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
28 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

OMG, Gina wants to move in with Sims into the new house. LOL.  Hey, borscht isn't THAT awful.

Didn't Gina just buy a house herself? From that lady lawyer? near the beach?

• Like 4

As we were watching the story of the man who died from a gunshot wound through the hotel wall, I said to hubby:  "This sounds familiar.  I think it's based on a true story."  (Yes, I am a true crime addict.)

Here it is . . .  including the reference to the steel-toed boots, although they fancied it up in Brokenwood and made them cowboy boots.

• Mind Blown 2
  • Useful 1

I had enjoyed the quirky Gina this season, but now that Mike and Beth are over, Gina is back to her obsession with Mike.  Gina had been working with the other officers at work and friendly outside work and had a professional relationship with Mike.  Now she's obsessing again, reluctant to work with Sims and Chalmers and intruding into Mike's life.  Some people think her obsession is charming, but I don't.

• Applause 6

I just finished the last couple of season 9 episodes last night, and I was really aggravated at Mike's passiveness with Tabatha in signing the divorce papers. Well, Tabatha's whole character I despised, but Mike putting up with that nonsense was ridiculous. I also think it was a dirty way to stop the wedding, to have Tabatha sabotage the whole thing - if Beth had figured it out herself that's one thing, but this way just made her seem like a fool.

I guess since I'm venting a bit I've also always hated how Gina treated Kristin / Breen / Chalmers. That behaviour is unacceptable, and Mike being all passive again should have put a stop to that information hoarding behaviour. If his other detectives ask questions or are around when he is not, they should absolutely be given the information they need.

I suppose I've lost my taste for "quirky behaviour" in TV shows that in real life would be a hard no and at minimum an HR reporting offense.

I know I should just let it go, it's only a TV show....😔

• Like 2
  • Applause 2

Sad that I've now seen all of the Brokenwood episodes for this season. I liked how Trudy played a major role in the finale. The mystery was just okay - I knew the killer in a few minutes - but I did like seeing the Team figure it out. 

Would have preferred that Beth and Mike stay together. Seeing Gina pining again is not a good look for a character who had seemed to turn the corner. 

I do like the banter between Chalmers and Sims. 

• Like 3

I agree, I really don't like how Gina is resorting back to unprofessional behavior towards everyone. Her lusting after Mike was harrassment and so inappropriate. And the way she treats the others in the course of doing their jobs was old when it started, let alone 9 seasons in! She should have been disciplined along time ago IMO.

I really disliked the episode with Mike trying to get the divorce papers signed. Tabitha was not entertaining or amusing, just bitchy. And the whole storyline with Mike and Beth being engaged was a huge waste of time. Why even write it? There was zero point to it. We know Mike was super into his job, he knew he was super into his job and he never seemed that into marrying Beth. It was annoying filler that went nowhere. 

And I hated the crime story. I'd found Fenella funny in the first episode she was in but she went dark FAST. That guy let her down super nicely. He wasn't a cheater. But everyone went psycho on him so easily and some innocent father & husband died. It was a super bleak and depressing story IMO. 3 lives ruined, one guy traumatized for life, another guy dead and his family permanently wounded. All because a girl can't take being gently let down. Between that and Mike's story, the whole episode was bleak. The only bright light was a few moments of levity with Kristen and Chalmers. 

And Kristen had better NOT let Gina brow beat her into moving in with her!! Don't be a doormat, Kristin!

• Like 1