Type keyword(s) to search

The Brokenwood Mysteries - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I found the second to last episode - I guess you could call it the "Tabitha" one - really disappointing.  If they wanted to indicate that Beth wasn't happy about Mike's obsession with his work, they could  have written it with her coming to that conclusion on her own, and not subjected everyone to an hour's worth of Tabitha and her inane delaying tactics.  On top of that the crime story was really dull, there wasn't a single interesting guest character and it was obvious from almost the start who were involved in  it.  The "how" was the only unique part but that didn't make up for the rest.  I was actually looking at the screen and couldn't believe it when there were over 40 minutes left to the show.

I did think the finale with the motorcycle gang was a much more interesting story with all the multiple characters involved.  I suspected the killer also though I was a little put out when it seemed that they were going to hang the whole murder on a very minor character.

The abrupt ending of the last one was interesting.  No cliff hanger or anything.   I wonder if they are planning a Season 10. I hope they are though I think this season was a little hit or miss.

• Like 3
(edited)
On 6/3/2023 at 9:35 PM, roseha said:

The abrupt ending of the last one was interesting.  No cliff hanger or anything.   I wonder if they are planning a Season 10. I hope they are though I think this season was a little hit or miss.

I was struck by the super-abruptness of that ending also. I conjectured it as an omen that there will be a Season 10. I mean, if you know it's the series finale, not just the season finale, don't you give the audience a little bit of closure before you cut them loose to wander the rest of the television universe forever?

As for Tabitha in the previous episode, I loathed her, of course. Thinking about it now, I'm realizing I loathed her because I've known people like her in real life that I also couldn't stand. And that, in its way, was a rare accomplishment for these writers--creating a character whose behavior resembled that of actual human beings. I don't wish there were other characters like her (God forbid), but I do wish the writers had been able to create other characters in whose reality I could believe for even a second. The show would have been better for it. Well, there's always Season 10.

Edited by Milburn Stone
  • Like 1
On 6/3/2023 at 7:35 PM, roseha said:

On 6/23/2023 at 5:28 AM, Milburn Stone said:

I was struck by the super-abruptness of that ending also. I conjectured it as an omen that there will be a Season 10. I mean, if you know it's the series finale, not just the season finale, don't you give the audience a little bit of closure before you cut them loose to wander the rest of the television universe forever?

I felt like I missed something at the end of the last episode of season. They said they knew who did it, and if they just had more time, they could prove it. Next thing we see, they are stopping the gang from leaving town, and that's the end. How (and when) did they prove who did it? I thought I'd missed something, but the credits were rolling...

I wished Mike had been the one to realize that he is married to his job, not realizing it by default. He could meet someone who gets that and is fine with that. Gina would be, but I don't want to see him with her.

I liked this season, as a whole. It was kind of calm but quirky. I also wish they would have had a little more faith in 

Spoiler

Trudy

instead of assuming the worst. She's been decent to them the past few seasons, so they could have returned the favor.

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, ForReal said:

I felt like I missed something at the end of the last episode of season. They said they knew who did it, and if they just had more time, they could prove it. Next thing we see, they are stopping the gang from leaving town, and that's the end. How (and when) did they prove who did it? I thought I'd missed something, but the credits were rolling...

I know. I went, how the hell are they charging

Spoiler

Mama Sass?!??

6 hours ago, Milburn Stone said:

I know. I went, how the hell are they charging

Hide contents

Mama Sass?!??

I mean, I knew it had to be that person, but it's like they skipped the step of the proof! They had the evidence, all they had to do was show how they linked it to the individual. It so feels like a scene was missing.

• Like 3

Thanks @Mittengirl, I just checked in to see if this show was coming back.  It's the only thing I watch on Acorn currently now that Vera has moved over to Britbox, so I will keep my subscription for the time being.

• Like 1

I really enjoyed the dino episode and was totally surprised by who the perp was.  I've been watching old Murder, She Wrote episodes and I've seen them so often, I know who the perp is as soon as they show up.  It was nice to be surprised by this one. 

But I don't remember Todd. Have we seen him before?  What did surprise me is that for such a small town, they have their own "geoscience department."

I did laugh out loud when Kristen handed the coffee to Rowena, who said it was just awful & Sims said, "We're trying new beans..."

• Like 6
5 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

But I don't remember Todd. Have we seen him before?

According to IMDB, he's been in five episodes. The first one was cinema episode.

• Mind Blown 1

I think Todd was in the “Brokenwood Musical” episode.  The boyfriend of the killer, I believe.  IIRC, she had knitted Todd a sweater out of the same yarn she used to kill the director who tried to rape her.

• Useful 2

Yes I think Todd goes back to the "steampunk" episode if I am remembering correctly.

This was a fun premise for a first episode of the season and I was glad that the killer wasn't obvious though I did wonder from the start why the eventual culprit wasn't being investigated more.  I do like that they do a good job of attention to detail, when Rowena mentioned going to school in Indiana and then her boyfriend mentioned it was Kentucky, it was caught immediately.  I was also glad they showed the murderer wiping off fingerprints from the professor's laptop, I was going to wonder why they hadn't checked that.

I did like the way the episode ended, with Frodo, Ray, Todd and the rest of the locals gloomily taking down all the dino publicity, and then the two old codgers sharing a beer.

Just a thought, I hope we see Missy again.  She and Chalmers have a fun rapport that brings out his sense of humor more.

Edited by roseha
added a sentence.
  • Like 1
  • Applause 1
18 hours ago, Mittengirl said:

I think Todd was in the “Brokenwood Musical” episode.  The boyfriend of the killer, I believe.  IIRC, she had knitted Todd a sweater out of the same yarn she used to kill the director who tried to rape her.

He was in that episode, but he wasn't the boyfriend. He was the one swooping in on a bald eagle (in the musical). I watched it yesterday.

9 hours ago, roseha said:

Yes I think Todd goes back to the "steampunk" episode if I am remembering correctly.

I thought so, too, but according to IMDB, he wasn't.

10 hours ago, roseha said:

Just a thought, I hope we see Missy again.

I thought they had an interesting dynamic. Todd was in the episode with the horses and dogs too, I think. The one that was ticking at my brain was the old codger with the dog, and when I watched the ep there was no info up yet on IMDb, but I thought he had been in the same ep (with the horses and dogs- and tortoise!) so I looked that one up and yep! he was in it.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, TeslaNewton said:

He was in that episode, but he wasn't the boyfriend. He was the one swooping in on a bald eagle (in the musical). I watched it yesterday.

I thought so, too, but according to IMDB, he wasn't.

Actually I think it was "Tomaty" who was in the steampunk episode.  If I am getting that right...I guess Todd came along later.

On 5/1/2024 at 10:18 PM, roseha said:

I did like the way the episode ended, with Frodo, Ray, Todd and the rest of the locals gloomily taking down all the dino publicity, and then the two old codgers sharing a beer.

one of the things I love about the show are all the recurring characters.  And Sims.

• Like 4
3 minutes ago, badgerwoman said:

one of the things I love about the show are all the recurring characters.  And Sims.

Yes, from the second time we see Frodo, I knew I was going to enjoy that community element. And Detective Sims has definitely grown on me over time. I loved her calling Chalmers “Alan Turing”.

• Like 1
  • Applause 2