Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E05: Contract

• Start Topic

Axe is forced to confront his past to secure his future; Chuck plots against Axe with the help of some old friends; Chuck and Wendy both try to move on but get forced together by an emergency; Wendy and Taylor embark on a new venture.

Original air date 2020.05.31

Don't recall previous mentions of Axe's abusive father.  Vaguely recall his mother.  But that's why Yonkers triggered him, bad memories?

Axe doesn't seem like the type to dwell on negative things, or let them hold him back.

Yet rather than confront his old man, he hires henchmen to smash the car his mother gave him and watch from a distance?

So much for not letting anyone have power over him, though he did yell at his mother, threatening to cut her off.

I guess the other part of this episode about his father is Chuck Sr. with the renal failure.  Chuck is going to have to give him a kidney and then probably give up BDSM because of it.

After having Cat land on his lap, willing to play along with his "modalities."

Wendy finally kissed the fake Jackson Pollock who spends more time moussing up his hair than painting.

Taylor thinks Wendy is top half of one percent.  So they give her almost half of the new firm with the name Carbon in it, because they want to decarbonize the world?  

Why is Axe okay with this?  Wendy works for him but now she will have a big chunk of Taylor's fund within a hedge fund?  Seems like it would take a lot of her time and focus away from him.

Bobby is foiled at another attempt to get a bank.  All he accomplished was to ruin another bank, get Chuck punched in the face by Bryan Connerty, who didn't have a word of dialog, and get Jackie Connerty and Sacker laid.

• Love 1

There was some good humor in this episode, I had a couple of good laughs at some of the things the characters said.

However, I feel like they should have called this episode The Naked Time or The Naked Now, those being Star Trek episodes where everyone on the ship gets horny simultaneously.

Cat sees the bruise on Chuck's face and it seems like she is teasing him but she's also a little insecure about the idea that he might have gone to see a domme before their date (which she explicitly defined as a date). I thought she was an expert on this subject. What kind of domme straight up punches you in the face? (Having said that, I am not going to Google it because I'm sure there could be results.) Also, when she suggested they go over to Chuck's place I thought it was going to be because that's where Wendy's BDSM gear is (I don't think she took it with her when she left although it would be kind of comical if Tanner's first intimate encounter with Wendy consisted of her dropping her overcoat to reveal that outfit underneath) but they decided to go vanilla instead and it looked like Chuck was enjoying the moment. I wonder how Cat is going to feel about Chuck asking her to wear Wendy's gear... or is she going to say "no thanks, I've got my own?" In any case, she challenged Chuck as to whether his kink was ongoing (in terms of seeing a domme) and he didn't really deny it.

Oh Connerty brothers, how I have missed you. Bryan, you might want to watch out for a guy named Wilson Fisk while serving your stint. He will definitely want to recruit you although you might have to change your name.

I don't quite buy Sacker falling for the other Connerty brother, it's a little too much of the "girls love bad boys" cliche. Sacker has ambitions and this dude is not going to help her with any of them.

Chuck's plan is a little weird too. Steal the ring from whomever had it and then break into the bank regulator's office and plant it in her safe? Sure, she was happy to see it there but about five seconds later she should have been all "dude, what the fuck?"

I missed something in the Yonkers plot. Bobby skips dinner and some local reporter hears about it. Bobby tries to make nice with Semeon by losing a game of pool to him and leaving him a wad of cash in exchange for his silence. Bobby gets told off in exchange but the kid is true to his word. Bobby then buys the house and they part as buddies. I must have missed something here.

The bank "heist" with the Axe Cap crew was hilarious, especially with the one trader making his cuddle noises. I feel like Dollar Bill would be recognizable but I'm not sure if he's actually been established as a minor celebrity.

• Love 1

The banking subplot didn't really pay off in story but definitely did in humor. Ben Kim continues to be hilarious though why he is Bobby's personal errand boy? Is that part of that promotion he got?

I kind of love Connerty now. But seriously, Sacher, his brother? I'm not into banging your way through the family tree.

I wasn't into the painter. He was SO intense. I get that Wendy was nervous because it was her first date in a while, but even she seemed taken aback at times. That black dress she wore with the zipper up the back was killer.

I found it odd the way Chuck said the kids were with the babysitter at Wendy's. It was a yes or no question. I wonder if he's going to make problems. I don't think he actually wants the kids full time, but he could use custody as leverage.

That's one thing I appreciate about this show- the babysitter is an integral part of these people's lives, and that is not hidden or glossed over. I remember a time or two when it was shown that the babysitter was taking over after the kids were asleep. That reads very true to  me for busy professional parents who are involved in their kids' lives but have other priorities too.

Wags as a squeaky clean CEO candidate? The hell?

I'm not a big fan of Senior but he is adorable with that baby. That moment when he collapsed and she crawled over to look at him was my suspense moment for the episode. I don't want him to die for her sake but I also don't care about his health problems. Though wow Chuck, way to be an ass. It's not Wendy's fault that he doesn't pay attention to his phone, not to mention the judginess towards the painter when his own date was standing right there. He and father just reek of entitlement all the time.

5 hours ago, scrb said:

Don't recall previous mentions of Axe's abusive father.  Vaguely recall his mother.  But that's why Yonkers triggered him, bad memories?

Axe doesn't seem like the type to dwell on negative things, or let them hold him back.

Yet rather than confront his old man, he hires henchmen to smash the car his mother gave him and watch from a distance?

So much for not letting anyone have power over him, though he did yell at his mother, threatening to cut her off.

Maybe it was his father's actual reappearance that threw him off? He seemed to think his father was fully out of the picture. Though just a guess from the description, I'm thinking Bobby saw him plenty in the early days of his fortune.

His threat to cut off his mother was not a fine moment, but his father seemed to bring a more child-like side out. Sitting curled up in his old room looking for comfort, threatening his mother, screwing with his father from a distance- those are not the actions of a mature man. That's a kid hiding which has potential, especially since he's letting Wendy see right into the middle of it.

5 hours ago, dwmarch said:

Cat sees the bruise on Chuck's face and it seems like she is teasing him but she's also a little insecure about the idea that he might have gone to see a domme before their date (which she explicitly defined as a date). I thought she was an expert on this subject. What kind of domme straight up punches you in the face? (Having said that, I am not going to Google it because I'm sure there could be results.) Also, when she suggested they go over to Chuck's place I thought it was going to be because that's where Wendy's BDSM gear is (I don't think she took it with her when she left although it would be kind of comical if Tanner's first intimate encounter with Wendy consisted of her dropping her overcoat to reveal that outfit underneath) but they decided to go vanilla instead and it looked like Chuck was enjoying the moment. I wonder how Cat is going to feel about Chuck asking her to wear Wendy's gear... or is she going to say "no thanks, I've got my own?" In any case, she challenged Chuck as to whether his kink was ongoing (in terms of seeing a domme) and he didn't really deny it.

I wonder if this story line is a chance for the writers to show a BDSM relationship from the formation? I remember it was said earlier that Wendy went through a camp(?) to learn the basics. I'm more on board with Cat and Chuck this week than last but I still don't see what Cat sees in Chuck. A new love interest this fast just screams convenience though considering I didn't blink at Wendy/Tanner, maybe that's just my lack of interest in Chuck talking.

5 hours ago, scrb said:

Taylor thinks Wendy is top half of one percent.  So they give her almost half of the new firm with the name Carbon in it, because they want to decarbonize the world?  

Why is Axe okay with this?  Wendy works for him but now she will have a big chunk of Taylor's fund within a hedge fund?  Seems like it would take a lot of her time and focus away from him.

It seems Taylor can be a bit rash to prove a point. They seem to really hold Wendy up so maybe they think she's the ally they needed both in business and to mitigate the Axe threat. They may think he won't come after them with Wendy holding such a substantial stake. I like Wendy so that doesn't bother me, but I think they are expecting too much asking Lauren and Mafee to be okay with it.

I wish we'd seen a bit of Axe's reaction. As the session at the beginning showed, this will definitely affect Wendy's focus and time with the traders. Though maybe as long as she has time for him and is happy there, he doesn't care.

Axe seems exactly the sort to carry the scars and pain of childhood abuse.  All prince had to do was reference what a shitty upbringing axe had and axe nearly ruined his whole plans.  Just a mention from prince made him unable to attend the dinner.  

I remember axe's father being a POS, but I thought he was just absent.  

I'm surprised enlightened therapist Wendy didn't encourage axe to face his father head on.  If axe could legally have the car crushed, he could have legally had it repo'd and faced his father with the tow truck there.  

I like sacklers new love interest.  I always thought the brother was the more attractive of the two and he has a bit of charm to him.  

I thought this episode was better, but I still get annoyed that the show is painting Wendy as a mastermind when she seems barely competent.  

I think Lauren is much smarter and she is onto something.  Not sure why Taylor is getting sucked into the Wendy charm again.  She found a new quant person who is a good fit.....do you give a recruiter 40% because they found a good candidate?  

• Love 5
(edited)
6 hours ago, dwmarch said:

There was some good humor in this episode, I had a couple of good laughs at some of the things the characters said.

However, I feel like they should have called this episode The Naked Time or The Naked Now, those being Star Trek episodes where everyone on the ship gets horny simultaneously.

Oh Connerty brothers, how I have missed you. Bryan, you might want to watch out for a guy named Wilson Fisk while serving your stint. He will definitely want to recruit you although you might have to change your name.

I don't quite buy Sacker falling for the other Connerty brother, it's a little too much of the "girls love bad boys" cliche. Sacker has ambitions and this dude is not going to help her with any of them.

Chuck's plan is a little weird too. Steal the ring from whomever had it and then break into the bank regulator's office and plant it in her safe? Sure, she was happy to see it there but about five seconds later she should have been all "dude, what the fuck?"

I missed something in the Yonkers plot. Bobby skips dinner and some local reporter hears about it. Bobby tries to make nice with Semeon by losing a game of pool to him and leaving him a wad of cash in exchange for his silence. Bobby gets told off in exchange but the kid is true to his word. Bobby then buys the house and they part as buddies. I must have missed something here.

The bank "heist" with the Axe Cap crew was hilarious, especially with the one trader making his cuddle noises. I feel like Dollar Bill would be recognizable but I'm not sure if he's actually been established as a minor celebrity.

With the kid, I think the point was that he wasn't going to be bought off with $500. 

He was ready to follow "contract" and do the right thing by the neighborhood and not talk.  

I think axe understood that the kid took his money, but he didn't feel bound to "contract" at all because axe had "breached" first.  But he still kept his mouth shut because he felt it was the right thing to do.

I think axe was grateful and probably felt a bit like a shit after the kid told him off and decided to reward the kid and his family with a debt free house in Scarsdale. 

I totally thought Chuck and Carla (?) were talking about something different when they reference penetrative sex

Edited by RealReality
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, scrb said:

I guess the other part of this episode about his father is Chuck Sr. with the renal failure.  Chuck is going to have to give him a kidney and then probably give up BDSM because of it.

After having Cat land on his lap, willing to play along with his "modalities."

Wendy finally kissed the fake Jackson Pollock who spends more time moussing up his hair than painting.

Bobby is foiled at another attempt to get a bank.  All he accomplished was to ruin another bank, get Chuck punched in the face by Bryan Connerty, who didn't have a word of dialog, and get Jackie Connerty and Sacker laid.

I don't blame Bobby for his reaction to his mother.  

That is his money, and if he has made it clear he doesn't want it to be used to support his abusive father that's just fine.  If she doesn't want to respect that boundary, she can go out and work for a living. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, RealReality said:

That is his money, and if he has made it clear he doesn't want it to be used to support his abusive father that's just fine.  If she doesn't want to respect that boundary, she can go out and work for a living. 

That was disgusting but he is disgusting so no surprise.  Why isn’t she independently wealthy by now anyway.   Does he trickle money in to control her?  

And the bank thing was stupid as usual.   A video of two cases where no one knows their credit history caused a run on the bank?  So stupid.  I know it’s TV but can they at least try and make the stories plausible?  

• Love 1

Why did Axe stand up the Semeon kid for dinner?  I mean, other than having a plot point so that Axe could overcome something.  It seemed out of character on Axe’s part. 

Wendy is in a session with that awkward fat trader (I don’t know all their names) and just leaves in the middle because she has an interview?  Isn’t that really poor time management on Wendy’s part?  I thought she needed to be there to maximize efficiency on the floor.  Wendy wasn’t even needed at the meeting either.  Nothing was gained except “Women use tampons.  Let’s triangulate that.”  

Ok so, Connerty’s brother was looking at Bulgattis, so Chuck thinks he has something to exchange for invading yet another safe?  What exactly is the name of the crime for looking at Bulgattis, specter of grand theft?  This is so lame.  Were they implying that if the brother were to steal a Bulgatti in the future, they would let it slide?  That seems a little...unorthodox.  

How did they get a camera into the bank at that angle to prove discriminatory lending?  Did they use that old man who seems to be able to do every fucking thing under the sun, the one who spied on Taylor’s algorithms last season, to set up the cameras?  And was every other facet of the pseudo applicants’ credit history the same, except for their sexual orientation?  That seems like something hard to finesse.  

I didn’t think it tracked for Connerty to punch Chuck in the face.  They had been warring all last season after Connerty switched alliances and Chuck pulled out the win.  I thought there was sort of a grudging respect there.  I think the punch for just for drama. 

Why were they doing a “jewelry repo” again?  So the woman who grants new bank charters will delay/deny Axe?  Why does Chuck care if Axe has a bank?  Wouldn’t it make Axe more of a sitting duck for Chuck if Axe had a bank in New York?

I don’t know what is the point of the resident artist.  He’s very boring to me.  Oh my God, he’s enamored by Wendy!  Who didn’t see that coming?

I like Taylor and Wendy both so much better when they’re at war.  The mutual Wendy admiration dialogue isn’t appealing.  

There’s no way Wendy and Chuck’s partners, respectively, would be in the hospital room with Chuck Sr.  They’re not even significant others.  What the hell?

So Axe & Co ruined the community bank, rendering themselves the best candidates to open a local bank.  If the community bank was FDIC insured, there wouldn’t be too many customers wanting their money back, but not enough money in the coffers, contrary to what the journalist reported.  

I don’t care about Axe’s parents.  Why would we start caring about their dysfunctional relationship at this stage of the game?

That was painfully boring.  

• Love 3
21 minutes ago, LibertarianSlut said:

Why did Axe stand up the Semeon kid for dinner?  I mean, other than having a plot point so that Axe could overcome something.  It seemed out of character on Axe’s part. 

Wendy is in a session with that awkward fat trader (I don’t know all their names) and just leaves in the middle because she has an interview?  Isn’t that really poor time management on Wendy’s part?  I thought she needed to be there to maximize efficiency on the floor.  Wendy wasn’t even needed at the meeting either.  Nothing was gained except “Women use tampons.  Let’s triangulate that.”  

Ok so, Connerty’s brother was looking at Bulgattis, so Chuck thinks he has something to exchange for invading yet another safe?  What exactly is the name of the crime for looking at Bulgattis, specter of grand theft?  This is so lame.  Were they implying that if the brother were to steal a Bulgatti in the future, they would let it slide?  That seems a little...unorthodox.  

How did they get a camera into the bank at that angle to prove discriminatory lending?  Did they use that old man who seems to be able to do every fucking thing under the sun, the one who spied on Taylor’s algorithms last season, to set up the cameras?  And was every other facet of the pseudo applicants’ credit history the same, except for their sexual orientation?  That seems like something hard to finesse.  

I didn’t think it tracked for Connerty to punch Chuck in the face.  They had been warring all last season after Connerty switched alliances and Chuck pulled out the win.  I thought there was sort of a grudging respect there.  I think the punch for just for drama. 

Why were they doing a “jewelry repo” again?  So the woman who grants new bank charters will delay/deny Axe?  Why does Chuck care if Axe has a bank?  Wouldn’t it make Axe more of a sitting duck for Chuck if Axe had a bank in New York?

I don’t know what is the point of the resident artist.  He’s very boring to me.  Oh my God, he’s enamored by Wendy!  Who didn’t see that coming?

I like Taylor and Wendy both so much better when they’re at war.  The mutual Wendy admiration dialogue isn’t appealing.  

There’s no way Wendy and Chuck’s partners, respectively, would be in the hospital room with Chuck Sr.  They’re not even significant others.  What the hell?

So Axe & Co ruined the community bank, rendering themselves the best candidates to open a local bank.  If the community bank was FDIC insured, there wouldn’t be too many customers wanting their money back, but not enough money in the coffers, contrary to what the journalist reported.  

I don’t care about Axe’s parents.  Why would we start caring about their dysfunctional relationship at this stage of the game?

That was painfully boring.  

Wendy walking out on the trader also kinda seemed like bad form for a therapist.  She was checking her phone while this guy was telling her problems.  It was so dismissive that I'd be put off. 

The theory was that axe stood the kid up for dinner because prince got all up in his head about being the poor kid.  A modified version of this plot plays out in a number of 80s classics.  

It's generally the "you're not good enough to be here!" ....be it nerds, poor kids and girls who wear glasses.  Of course, nerds always win. 

I find it hard to believe axe really wants a bank if his "squeaky clean" CEO is wags.  

Spyros would have been a much better pick. He has a history at the treasury department, he will do anything to please axe, he is more familiar with banking and he already has the monopoly banker hat!  Unless he left treasury in disgrace (I can't remember) he seems like a far better choice than wags.  

And wags wants to do this why?  Doesn't he get his life force from being axe's gal Friday? 

Spyros recorded the stuff on his cell phone but he must have the bomb ass iPhone because that footage was flawless! 

Agree the connerty stuff didn't make sense.  I'm pretty disappointed that connerty didn't actually have something.  

It's just like axe's horrible speech at the school.... gratuitous I guess and not integral to anything.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

They’re also making Wendy’s speech patterns sound more like Axe.  They also showed that she was no longer satisfied being the cheerleader for the analysts to help them make more money.  She wants to be one of them.  I hope she falls on her face. 

• Love 6

I don't think they will though.  They probably think she's one of the best characters on the show.

Koppelman boasted that NBA players wanted to get with Maggie Siff.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, RealReality said:

If axe could legally have the car crushed, he could have legally had it repo'd and faced his father with the tow truck there.  

I don't think legality came into play here at all; Axe has enough money to have things like car crushing taken care of whenever and wherever he wants.

10 hours ago, Lemons said:

That was disgusting but he is disgusting so no surprise.  Why isn’t she independently wealthy by now anyway.   Does he trickle money in to control her?  

He acted toward his mother exactly the way his father did, and since he's not stupid he must realize it. And mom still hasn't learned to stand up for herself. I'd say it would be a good idea for her to sell the house and leave town, but knowing Bobby, the house probably isn't even in her name because he needs to be in control of everyone.

I liked Tanner's original 3 paintings, but these new ones are crap.

• Love 4
(edited)
15 hours ago, RealReality said:

Bobby is exactly like his father.  His father controlled her with his fists.  He’s controlling her with his money and threats. Also rewind back to the time Bobby thought Lara was gone and replay his voice message he left for her.  Absolutely agree she shouldn’t accept any more money from Axe.  But since she stayed with his father, chances are she will also stay under Bobby’s thumb because she doesn’t feel she has a choice.  Also Bobby wasn’t  just threatening to pull financial support. But that doesn’t make Bobby any less of manipulative abuser than his father.  Abusers think that that way. I’m sure his father said the same crap, my wife my house if she can’t respect my boundaries than she can find a new situation.  

Edited by dmc
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Broderbits said:

I don't think legality came into play here at all; Axe has enough money to have things like car crushing taken care of whenever and wherever he wants.

He acted toward his mother exactly the way his father did, and since he's not stupid he must realize it. And mom still hasn't learned to stand up for herself. I'd say it would be a good idea for her to sell the house and leave town, but knowing Bobby, the house probably isn't even in her name because he needs to be in control of everyone.

Axe's mother could also just work and do whatever common folk without a billionaire son do to survive.  

Axe shouldnt be forced to financially support his abusive father.  If his mom wants to do that, she can do it with her own money.  I don't think axe was abusive at all. 

That's a great way for her to stand up for herself. Be financially independent and then do what you want with your money.  

I was 100% on axe's side there. 

If he had the power to crush the car, he had the power to do it in front of his dad's face.  Towing a car normally requires some paperwork whether it's to crush it or just repo it. 

• Love 1
(edited)
9 minutes ago, dmc said:

Bobby is exactly like his father.  His father controlled her with his fists.  He’s controlling her with his money and threats. Also rewind back to the time Bobby thought Lara was gone and replay his voice message he left for her.  Absolutely agree she shouldn’t accept any more money from Axe.  But since she stayed with his father, chances are she will also stay under Bobby’s thumb because she doesn’t feel she has a choice.  Also Bobby wasn’t  just threatening to pull financial support. But that doesn’t make Bobby any less of manipulative abuser than his father.  Abusers think that that way. I’m sure his father said the same crap, my wife my house if she can’t respect my boundaries than she can find a new situation.  

I don't subscribe to the theory that refusing to fund your abusive father second hand is the same as beating your wife.  Those things are absolutely incongruent to me.  

She doesn't feel she has a choice, the world of work is completely closed to her?  If she is this incapable than she should follow the rules, I suppose.  

Axe doesn't appear to have limited her spending in any other way.  She just cannot use his money to fund his abuser.  He is supposed to be okay with his abuser living off his money?  Why should he be okay with that?  

How is that one rule in any way the same as someone beating their wife?  

And yeah, I think it's apples and oranges.  If I can't follow a couple simple and basic work rules they will tell me I can find another situation.  It's not abusive.  She has other options if she wants to support the man who beat her and her son. 

But axe shouldn't be placed on the same level for not wanting to financially support his abuser.  

Edited by RealReality
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Broderbits said:

Just said the same, he is a chip off the old block.  

Just now, RealReality said:

I don't subscribe to the theory that refusing to fund your abusive father second hand is the same as beating your wife.  Those things are absolutely incongruent to me.  

She doesn't feel she has a choice, the world of work is completely closed to her?  If she is this incapable than she should follow the rules, I suppose.  

Axe doesn't appear to have limited her spending in any other way.  She just cannot use his money to fund his abuser.  He is supposed to be okay with his abuser living off his money?  Why should he be okay with that?  

How is that one rule in any way the same as someone beating their wife?  

When you give an adult $$$ you don’t get a say in how they use it, nor do you get to follow them around like a psycho monitoring their movements.  I agreed she should get a job.  She does need to be independent.  Abusive men are about control, the control doesn’t always start with hitting them.  It starts like this.  How many times have people tried to leave Bobby and he’s taken everything from them.  How about last season when someone tried to leave his fund and ruined their business?  He’s the same, his love and support are as long as he’s controlling you.  You have to be  doing what he wants you to be doing or he pulls it. I would walk away and did so with my own dad.  But as much as people like him threaten to leave you alone , as soon as you tell them to eff off they still keep trying to control you they just choose another method.  

• Love 1
(edited)
9 minutes ago, dmc said:

When you give an adult $$$ you don’t get a say in how they use it, nor do you get to follow them around like a psycho monitoring their movements.  I agreed she should get a job.  She does need to be independent.  Abusive men are about control, the control doesn’t always start with hitting them.  It starts like this.  How many times have people tried to leave Bobby and he’s taken everything from them.  How about last season when someone tried to leave his fund and ruined their business?  He’s the same, his love and support are as long as he’s controlling you.  You have to be  doing what he wants you to be doing or he pulls it. I would walk away and did so with my own dad.  But as much as people like him threaten to leave you alone , as soon as you tell them to eff off they still keep trying to control you they just choose another method.  

Yeah, actually you do get a say if you're giving an adult money.  And you can stop giving them money at any time.  You can also make a gift conditional.  

Axe is under no obligation to give his mother a red cent.  So he is absolutely able to condition it an attach strings.  

And so far the only condition is "don't use my money to financially support my abusive father"

How that is the same as wife beating is a mystery to me.  Because to me those things are not even remotely the same.  

I don't see that as abusive at all.  He hasn't stopped her from getting a job, he hasn't forbade her working, he has not done anything to make her dependent on him other than give her money and fund her lifestyle. 

But suddenly when a condition of that is that she can't use his money to support a man who terrorized and abused him his entire youth, he is abusive?  I don't see it.

Edited by RealReality
  • Love 3
(edited)
10 minutes ago, RealReality said:

Yeah, actually you do get a say if you're giving an adult money.  And you can stop giving them money at any time.  You can also make a gift conditional.  

Axe is under no obligation to give his mother a red cent.  So he is absolutely able to condition it an attach strings.  

And so far the only condition is "don't use my money to financially support my abusive father"

How that is the same as wife beating is a mystery to me.  Because to me those things are not even remotely the same.  

I don't see that as abusive at all.  He hasn't stopped her from getting a job, he hasn't forbade her working, he has not done anything to make her dependent on him other than give her money and find her lifestyle. 

But suddenly when a condition of that is that she can't use his money to support a man who terrorized and abused him his entire youth, he is abusive?  I don't see it.  

No, you don’t.  He wanted to give his mother financial support.  At the point where he gives her money, it’s hers.  The strings of control on the $$$, make him just like his father.  She absolutely should turn it down.  But he also should know what giving someone something actually means. No one seems to remember the show from season one but this woman was a single mother supporting him for years as a waitress in a diner for years.  Everybody is so sure she gave up her job to live off his being a billionaire but my bet is he actually made that offer to her and as usual when he makes anyone an offer that means as long as you are doing what he wants.  I don’t mean he’s forcing her to take the $$$.  However women who have lived under abusive conditions usually have a difficult time breaking the pattern.  I absolutely also don’t think he just meant financially I think he meant emotionally as well he meant he would be done with her period.  Most mothers would have hard time with that.  

Edited by dmc
  • Love 3
(edited)
18 minutes ago, dmc said:

No, you don’t.  He wanted to give his mother financial support.  At the point where he gives her money, it’s hers.  The strings of control on the $$$, make him just like his father.  She absolutely should turn it down.  But he also should know what giving someone something actually means. No one seems to remember the show from season one but this woman was a single mother supporting him for years as a waitress in a diner for years.  Everybody is so sure she gave up her job to live off his being a billionaire but my bet is he actually made that offer to her and as usual when he makes anyone an offer thar means as long as you are doing what he wants.  I don’t mean he’s forcing her to take the $$$.  However women who have lived under abusive conditions usually have a difficult time breaking the pattern.  I absolutely also don’t think he just meant financially I think he meant emotionally as well he meant he would be done with her period.  Most mothers would have hard time with that.  

But you do get a say.  He admitted that the car thing was over but if she did it again he would stop funding her.  This is fine and perfectly acceptable.  

Had he stopped all money the second he found out that would have been fine too.  She very clearly knew it would be a problem.  

She isn't owed his money and he can place conditions on it. 

So far he has placed one condition on the money. That it can't be used to support a man who terrorized him for years. 

I'm sure axe offered to support her.  Of course, that's his mother.  She always knew it would be a problem for axe if she spent that money on his dad, which is why she lied.  And she, as a human adult, is free to walk away from that support at any time.  As a human adult she is free to get a job.  If she doesn't like the conditions of the money she is under no obligation to take it.  

But may find it hard to be financially independent, or break the cycle, but that doesn't mean that taking axe's money isn't a choice and a decision. 

But because he doesn't want to financially support a horrible man who made his life hell, he is abusive?  I cannot agree with that. 

Axe has placed no other conditions on that money. 

I don't doubt that axe meant he would be out of his mother's life if she continued and I also don't see that as abusive. 

It would turn axe's world upside down to have to see his father abuse his mother again and to have to relive that cycle.  Why shouldn't he protect his own sanity and mental health?  Axe clearly struggles with his past even when his dad isn't actively in the picture.  But he is supposed to just accept his mother getting back with the same man who terrorized them for years?  The man who caused him so much pain?  

Edited by RealReality
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, RealReality said:

But you do get a say.  He admitted that the car thing was over but if she did it again he would stop funding her.  This is fine and perfectly acceptable.  

Had he stopped all money the second he found out that would have been fine too.  She very clearly knew it would be a problem.  

She isn't owed his money and he can place conditions on it. 

So far he has placed one condition on the money. That it can't be used to support a man who terrorized him for years. 

I'm sure axe offered to support her.  Of course, that's his mother.  She always knew it would be a problem for axe if she spent that money on his dad, which is why she lied.  And she, as a human adult, is free to walk away from that support at any time.  As a human adult she is free to get a job.  If she doesn't like the conditions of the money she is under no obligation to take it.  

But because he doesn't want to financially support a horrible man who made his life hell, he is abusive?  I cannot agree with that. 

Axe has placed no other conditions on that money. 

I don't doubt that axe meant he would be out of his mother's life if she continued and I also don't see that as abusive. 

It would turn axe's world upside down to have to see his father abuse his mother again and to have to relive that cycle.  Why shouldn't he protect his own sanity and mental health?  Axe clearly struggles with his past even when his dad isn't actively in the picture.  But he is supposed to just accept his mother getting back with the same man who terrorized them for years?  The man who caused him so much pain?  

I agree she isn’t owed money which is why if he doesn’t feel comfortable giving to her,  he shouldn’t.  But at the point where he gives it to her,  it’s hers.  His issues with his dad are his issues.  He shouldn’t have any control over who she sees or what she does.  Axe absolutely meant he was done with her if she didn’t do what he wanted him to.  Axe has the control issues of an abuser and not just with his mom.  I’m sure he feels he’s different too because he’s not actually hitting her.  We both agree she’s better off working and being independent.  We can disagree on the other part.  But I’m sure a lot of people who have dealt with people like this will recognize the similarities.  

• Love 3
Just now, dmc said:

I agree she isn’t owed money which is why if he doesn’t feel comfortable giving to her,  he shouldn’t.  But at the point where he gives it to her,  it’s hers.  His issues with his dad are his issues.  He shouldn’t have any control over who she sees or what she does.  Axe absolutely meant he was done with her if she didn’t do what he wanted him to.  Axe has the control issues of an abuser and not just with his mom.  I’m sure he feels he’s different too because he’s not actually hitting her.  We both agree she’s better off working and being independent.  We can disagree on the other part.  But I’m sure a lot of people who have dealt with people like this will recognize the similarities.  

And he has now made it crystal clear that he will not feel comfortable giving her money if she is funneling it to his father.   He could have just cut her off cold turkey, but he let her know he wouldn't be comfortable with giving her future money under those conditions.  

Yep, his issues with his dad are his own.  But bringing him back into her life means his mother brings those same childhood issues back to Bobby. 

Because I think bobby knows that it won't just be a car if he lets nature take its course.  That's why he told Simeon to watch out for his own father. 

Bobby knows it's a matter of time before the old man is back in the house and his mother starts walking into doors.  And then it's going to affect Bobby.  I don't at all blame him for making the decision to completely cut that cancer of a man out of his life, even if some healthy tissue has to go with it too.

He has been clear that he cannot control who she sees.  But as with every decision, there will be a consequence. One that is clearly spelled out and likely  done out of a desire to protect himself.   

Yeah, I guess both axe and I think that asking someone not to use your money to fund someone who terrorized them isn't the same as abuse or wife beating. 

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, RealReality said:

And he has now made it crystal clear that he will not feel comfortable giving her money if she is funneling it to his father.   He could have just cut her off cold turkey, but he let her know he wouldn't be comfortable with giving her future money under those conditions.  

Yep, his issues with his dad are his own.  But bringing him back into her life means his mother brings those same childhood issues back to Bobby. 

Because I think bobby knows that it won't just be a car if he lets nature take its course.  That's why he told Simeon to watch out for his own father. 

Bobby knows it's a matter of time before the old man is back in the house and his mother starts walking into doors.  And then it's going to affect Bobby.  I don't at all blame him for making the decision to completely cut that cancer of a man out of his life, even if some healthy tissue has to go with it too.

He has been clear that he cannot control who she sees.  But as with every decision, there will be a consequence. One that is clearly spelled out and likely  done out of a desire to protect himself.   

Yeah, I guess both axe and I think that asking someone not to use your money to fund someone who terrorized them isn't the same as abuse or wife beating. 

“He has been clear that he cannot control who she sees.  But as with every decision, there will be a consequence.“ 

Who is he, her dad? He could have just cut her off cold turkey. Yeah he’s so decent he gave her a warning first.  

Bobby doesn’t know anything, just because she felt sorry for his father and gave his dad “HER” car doesn’t mean they are getting back together.  It means she’s a decent person.  He’s the person who still has residual issues.  He needs to be in therapy and with somebody other than Wendy.  He’s spiraling this season.  His dumb competition with Mike Prince to him stalking his dad to his threatening his mom is just another sign.  Wait till he finds out Wendy’s with somebody else.  Then he will be pulling the reigns there too. 

• Love 2
1 minute ago, dmc said:

“He has been clear that he cannot control who she sees.  But as with every decision, there will be a consequence.“ 

Who is he, her dad? He could have just cut her off cold turkey. Yeah he’s so decent he gave her a warning first.  

Bobby doesn’t know anything, just because she felt sorry for his father and gave his dad “HER” car doesn’t mean they are getting back together.  It means she’s a decent person.  He’s the person who still has residual issues.  He needs to be in therapy and with somebody other than Wendy.  He’s spiraling this season.  His dumb competition with Mike Prince to him stalking his dad to his threatening his mom is just another sign.  Wait till he finds out Wendy’s with somebody else.  Then he will be pulling the reigns there too. 

No, he is another adult human with the right to protect his mental well-being.  She can make her choice because she is a human adult. And then as an equally adult human bobby can make his own choice.  His mother knows in advance what that will be. 

As you said, if bobby was uncomfortable giving his mother money, he can stop at anytime.  So yeah, all things considered, setting out the ONE clear guideline that she not use his money to subsidize the man who made his life scary and miserable, was reasonable.  Under that one condition he won't feel comfortable giving her money. 

If the cycle is hard to break than bobby knows the score.  Mom will take him back and he will reek havoc.  If the cycle of abuse is hard to leave and therefore you cannot expect women to resist than axe knows how powerless his mother is once she starts back up with his father.  

There is nothing decent about using your child's money to subsidize someone who abused your child.  

I take no issue with a man who doesn't want to fund  someone who scared him, terrorized him and made his life a living hell.  I take no issue with cutting that person out like a cancer so as to hold onto your own sanity.  I take no issue with that.  

It's not about being comfortable giving money to his mother because she might give some to the father.

It's more about bullying, which he enjoys, as we've seen when he bullied the headmaster and in other instances during the run of the series.

From season 1, he revels in saying "what good is having fuck you money if you can't say fuck you" or something like that.

He enjoys punching down, including even his own, elderly mother.

But he still can't confront his father.

There's a reason he doesn't go after someone who has a lot more money than him, because he doesn't punch up.

• Love 6
16 hours ago, LibertarianSlut said:

Axe's thought of going inside that house brought back the memories of his mother being abused by his father and it freaked him out.  He couldn't do it.

It seemed inconsistent with his comfort outside the home while playing basketball with the kid.  He spoke fondly of the home during that scene.

• Love 2
17 hours ago, RealReality said:

I find it hard to believe axe really wants a bank if his "squeaky clean" CEO is wags.  

100% agreed. I mean what the what? If that is your best option you are doomed.

Sacher with Connerty's brother? Should have went with first reaction " That would be a no" This is going down a bad road for her.

Wendy and Painter dude...adults over 40 don't ask to hang? I was like seriously? Trying too hard to be edgy . Cool edgy people just are they don't try to be.

Taylor is playing chess with Wendy. Just not sure what  endgame is. I do not believe they trust Wendy that much...not yet anyway.

Axe is just totally unlikeable. He does have the right to set boundaries with his mother. He doesn't have the right to speak to her the way he did. 

I actually do buy Chuck and Kat..it works

• Love 3
18 hours ago, LibertarianSlut said:

His point appears to be a love interest for Wendy that's about as different from Chuck as possible. While Chuck's new love interest is strikingly similar to Wendy in many ways. Take from that what you will. The new foursome at Sr.'s bedside was amusing, though Sr.'s entitlement (hospital wing > new kidney) was hard to take.

I found this one of the more coherent episodes in a while. It posited a credible (new) backstory for how Axe came to be. I'm no "Wendy," but it seems easy to imagine how Axe's dysfunctional childhood molded him into the person he became. And who would have thought that the Chuck, Jr./Sr. relationship would be the more "functional" one.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, RealReality said:

No, he is another adult human with the right to protect his mental well-being.  She can make her choice because she is a human adult. And then as an equally adult human bobby can make his own choice.  His mother knows in advance what that will be. 

As you said, if bobby was uncomfortable giving his mother money, he can stop at anytime.  So yeah, all things considered, setting out the ONE clear guideline that she not use his money to subsidize the man who made his life scary and miserable, was reasonable.  Under that one condition he won't feel comfortable giving her money. 

If the cycle is hard to break than bobby knows the score.  Mom will take him back and he will reek havoc.  If the cycle of abuse is hard to leave and therefore you cannot expect women to resist than axe knows how powerless his mother is once she starts back up with his father.  

There is nothing decent about using your child's money to subsidize someone who abused your child.  

I take no issue with a man who doesn't want to fund  someone who scared him, terrorized him and made his life a living hell.  I take no issue with cutting that person out like a cancer so as to hold onto your own sanity.  I take no issue with that.  

Then don't give people things which is an option.  You are right, he doesn't have to give her anything.  But at the point that you do, its theirs to do as they see fit.  But he's just as controlling as his dad.  

• Love 1
6 hours ago, scrb said:

It's not about being comfortable giving money to his mother because she might give some to the father.

It's more about bullying, which he enjoys, as we've seen when he bullied the headmaster and in other instances during the run of the series.

From season 1, he revels in saying "what good is having fuck you money if you can't say fuck you" or something like that.

He enjoys punching down, including even his own, elderly mother.

But he still can't confront his father.

There's a reason he doesn't go after someone who has a lot more money than him, because he doesn't punch up.

Axe enjoys bullying.  He wasn't bullying his mother.  He didn't yell at her.  He calmly told her that he wouldn't be giving her money or gifts if she chose to fund his father with his money.  

If he was being a bully he would have had a set of rules by which to control her.  He would have had a set of rules that had developed over the years.   But he gave her ONE rule, she cannot fund his abusive father.  Which she knew was wrong.  

But this one rule makes him a controlling abuser?  I don't see it at all.  

Axe bullied the headmaster, true.  But Axe tried to tangle with everyone, no matter their size.  Prince is on his level and he has tried going after him. That short guy was a billionaire and axe fucked with him.  I can't think of how many people are above axe's level....bill gates?  

Yeah, he cannot face his father and that makes his mother's betrayal that much worse. He is so deeply hurt by his childhood and she blithely takes his money and hands it over to a man who spent years abusing them.  

And the car is only what he knows about.  Apparently his mom and dad have been talking long enough for her to get his entire pathetic sob story. And she feels so "sorry" for him, which he is fine milking into a new car, so I could see it being more than that.  But, axe didn't dive any deeper. 

(edited)
27 minutes ago, dmc said:

Then don't give people things which is an option.  You are right, he doesn't have to give her anything.  But at the point that you do, its theirs to do as they see fit.  But he's just as controlling as his dad.  

It is an option not to give her things. 

Axe will be exercising that option should she choose to give his father anymore money.  

You can give someone a conditional gift and people do it all the time. 

Grandparents will give kids money, but it can only be used for their education.  People gift the down payment for a first house, but you have to use it for the house.  

Axe isn't asking for his money back, he isn't asking her to refund the money for the car. 

But from here on in, she has one condition on the receipt of the money.  If she doesn't like the rule, she can refuse the money.  

One rule that frankly, she shouldn't even have to have spelled out to her, because in what universe do you hand your child's money to their abuser?   

That condition is not abusive, it's not even particularly controlling.   

Edited by RealReality
  • Love 1
31 minutes ago, RealReality said:

Axe enjoys bullying.  He wasn't bullying his mother.  He didn't yell at her.  He calmly told her that he wouldn't be giving her money or gifts if she chose to fund his father with his money.  

I might have to re-watch but my recollection was that his tone was menacing... .certainly not the way I would speak to my parents...or my spouse or child. I didn't see calm. I saw seething and definitely aggressively   communicating his demands. There is a way to have this conversation. This is your mother not some adversary. With Axe everything is a nail.. the problem is eventually someone will have a bigger hammer.

• Love 6

I think Axe and his parents are a little more complicated then the show was willing to be.   Axe has always tried to take care of his mom because that is what he has always done and his father knew that and used that. But Axe was self aware enough to realize that mom would never really be free of dad unless he put his foot down.  He he provides for dad it wouldn’t be long before mom and dad were living together again and dad was loving off Axe’s some permanently.   So Axe put his foot down with mom which might have been cruel but it was also understandable.   My money or him.   Make a choice.   I am not taking care of him ever so if you go back to him I am not taking care of you either.    It is cruel but it is ever so Axe.  

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, rhygirl720 said:

I might have to re-watch but my recollection was that his tone was menacing... .certainly not the way I would speak to my parents...or my spouse or child. I didn't see calm. I saw seething and definitely aggressively   communicating his demands. There is a way to have this conversation. This is your mother not some adversary. With Axe everything is a nail.. the problem is eventually someone will have a bigger hammer.

He was a lot calmer than I would have been if I learned that my own mother was taking my money to subsidize my abusive father.  That conversation would not be pretty.   

And one thing I noticed was that the abusive father got the brand new Lexus while his mother got an old 4runner. 

What a shitty thing to do.  She clearly had the money to buy an additional car, but instead she took a gift that her son directly gave her and handed it over to his abuser.  

She could have bought the old four runner for the dad, but instead she directly gave him something her child gave her because he wanted to see his mother living well and driving a nice car.  

What a slap in the face.  

But axe is supposed to adopt a happy tone about this?  I'd be seething too, and there isn't anything wrong, IMO about being super mad about that.  In spite of seething, he didn't fly off the handle, he didn't yell at her, I don't remember him being physically menacing, he said he loved her, that the car thing was over but that if she gave money to his father axe wasn't giving her money anymore and there was an implication that he would be out of her life as well.   

I can't take issue with any of that.  He is under no obligation to fund his abusive father either directly or indirectly.  He is justified in fully cutting his father out and his mother too if she wants to bring him back into her life.  He has every right to be seething mad that he even has to have a discussion with his own mkther about not subsidizing his abuser with his money.  

That his mother literally took a gift bought for her and directly handed it to his abusive father.  What a thing to do to your own child.  

• Love 2
10 hours ago, RealReality said:

I don't see that as abusive at all.  He hasn't stopped her from getting a job, he hasn't forbade her working, he has not done anything to make her dependent on him other than give her money and fund her lifestyle. 

Only a controlling person gives family members money with strings attached.  

His mother is an older woman with no skills.  There’s no way she could earn a living wage. Plus Axe would never allow his mother to get a low paying job.  Imagine the newspapers getting pictures of Axe’s mother working the cash register at the local supermarket?  

• Love 3
14 minutes ago, Lemons said:

Plus Axe would never allow his mother to get a low paying job.  Imagine the newspapers getting pictures of Axe’s mother working the cash register at the local supermarket?

Absolutely correct! He would never chance being crucified in the press that way. I think the money he gives his mother does more for him than her, and whatever love he feels for her is tempered by the loathing he feels about her "weakness". And that sets up more inner conflict, because if she had left his father his childhood might have been easier but would he have become Axe the Money-making Machine? He might have turned out to be more sensitive to human emotions, which in his business is probably not a good thing. Remember how he treated the original pizza guy and his last big relationship (Nina Arianda) - Axe and his money in control all the way, and screw what other people want.

• Love 2
39 minutes ago, Lemons said:

Only a controlling person gives family members money with strings attached.  

His mother is an older woman with no skills.  There’s no way she could earn a living wage. Plus Axe would never allow his mother to get a low paying job.  Imagine the newspapers getting pictures of Axe’s mother working the cash register at the local supermarket?  

Now he won't "let her" work a low paying job.  If he cuts her off from money, which he is going to do than she would have to do just that.  She has worked as a waitress.  And I think more people would be sympathetic if the story was spun how it is.  He is refusing to fund an abuser.  Period.  

So grandparents are controlling when they give their grandchildren money but it can only be used for college?  If they won't allow the child to use it for drugs they are controlling?  If a parent hands over money to help a child with the down payment of a house and they give it to them just for that purpose they are controlling and abusive?  That doesn't make any sense to me.  

29 minutes ago, scrb said:

Pretty sure he yelled at his mother.

Nothing calm about the way he confronted her.

I don't remember yelling. 

• Love 1
15 minutes ago, Broderbits said:

Absolutely correct! He would never chance being crucified in the press that way. I think the money he gives his mother does more for him than her, and whatever love he feels for her is tempered by the loathing he feels about her "weakness". And that sets up more inner conflict, because if she had left his father his childhood might have been easier but would he have become Axe the Money-making Machine? He might have turned out to be more sensitive to human emotions, which in his business is probably not a good thing. Remember how he treated the original pizza guy and his last big relationship (Nina Arianda) - Axe and his money in  all the way, and screw what other people want.

Axe has been able to successfully kill stories in the past.  And unless a journalist is told, they have no real way of knowing that she refused axe's money to be independent or that she didn't take a job because she likes working.  

The only person who would tell a journalist that is her.  If axe isn't worried about his Gordon gecko speech getting out he isn't worried about the optics of his mom working as a waitress.  

Cutting his mother off has a reason that would be justifiable and could be spun.  She was using his money to fund his abuser.  I know that would certainly put the story in a different light.  And complaining that your rich son isn't supporting you supposes an entitlement that I think certain people could find presumptuous. 

• Love 1

okay so...let me just say I would personally not ever speak to anyone the way Axe speaks to well everyone...let alone my mother .  Axe doing it is certainly within his character. This episode dealt a lot with emotional intelligence.  Axe clearly has little and needs Wendy and this makes me understand their relationship better. The season has slowly revealed Axe's weaknesses.  

Their is a vast divide between happy tone and seething with anger...find the middle . Not everything needs or can be brow beaten to submission. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, scrb said:

Pretty sure he yelled at his mother.

Nothing calm about the way he confronted her.

I can see saying that to a child who is misusing money given to them, but not your parent.  It was no less abusive than he is to everyone else he meets.  

54 minutes ago, RealReality said:

Now he won't "let her" work a low paying job.  If he cuts her off from money, which he is going to do than she would have to do just that.  She has worked as a waitress.  And I think more people would be sympathetic if the story was spun how it is.  He is refusing to fund an abuser.  Period.  

So grandparents are controlling when they give their grandchildren money but it can only be used for college?  If they won't allow the child to use it for drugs they are controlling?  If a parent hands over money to help a child with the down payment of a house and they give it to them just for that purpose they are controlling and abusive?  That doesn't make any sense to me.  

I don't remember yelling. 

If grandparents want to pay for college they would write the checks directly to the college.  If a child has a known drug problem, that’s different. Same with a house.  Ask to see the Purchase and Sale agreement.  Those two examples are very specific and not the same.  I’ve given and received money as an adult, large amounts, and never asked to verify where the funds went.  That’s controlling. Especially your own mother.  But he’s a real piece of shit, so no surprise.  

• Love 1
2 hours ago, RealReality said:

He was a lot calmer than I would have been if I learned that my own mother was taking my money to subsidize my abusive father.  That conversation would not be pretty.   

And one thing I noticed was that the abusive father got the brand new Lexus while his mother got an old 4runner. 

What a shitty thing to do.  She clearly had the money to buy an additional car, but instead she took a gift that her son directly gave her and handed it over to his abuser.  

She could have bought the old four runner for the dad, but instead she directly gave him something her child gave her because he wanted to see his mother living well and driving a nice car.  

What a slap in the face.  

But axe is supposed to adopt a happy tone about this?  I'd be seething too, and there isn't anything wrong, IMO about being super mad about that.  In spite of seething, he didn't fly off the handle, he didn't yell at her, I don't remember him being physically menacing, he said he loved her, that the car thing was over but that if she gave money to his father axe wasn't giving her money anymore and there was an implication that he would be out of her life as well.   

I can't take issue with any of that.  He is under no obligation to fund his abusive father either directly or indirectly.  He is justified in fully cutting his father out and his mother too if she wants to bring him back into her life.  He has every right to be seething mad that he even has to have a discussion with his own mkther about not subsidizing his abuser with his money.  

That his mother literally took a gift bought for her and directly handed it to his abusive father.  What a thing to do to your own child.  

My wife (who only watches the show if she's in the room and decides to look up from her phone or magazine) and I pretty much said the same thing. "Why didn't she keep the Lexus, and give HIM the Honda Pilot?".

That would've made more sense.  But then again, that wouldn't have triggered Axe's curiosity.

Don't forget, that is one HUGE house his mother lives in.  I'm pretty sure Axe funded that as well.  Not only would she lose his financial support, but she'd lose that house as well.  She wouldn't be able to keep up with the taxes by waiting tables or cashiering at a local store.  That is of course assuming the house is in HER name.

One question:  Does anyone else find it weird that Axe always knocks on the door of his mother's house?  Most kids would just have a key and walk right in.

• Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, Lemons said:

If grandparents want to pay for college they would write the checks directly to the college.  If a child has a known drug problem, that’s different. Same with a house.  Ask to see the Purchase and Sale agreement.  Those two examples are very specific and not the same.  I’ve given and received money as an adult, large amounts, and never asked to verify where the funds went.  That’s controlling. Especially your own mother.  But he’s a real piece of shit, so no surprise.  

Okay, so then not all conditions placed on money is abusive and controlling.  

My dad paid for me to go to college, which included money for housing, books, tuition and spending money.  That money was conditioned on me attending college.  I didn't get my lifestyle funded if I decided that I just wanted to leave.  In that case, I had to pay my way.  

The money was conditioned and I didn't and still don't think if it as abusive and controlling.  I don't think conditions are per se abusive control.  Axe put a condition on his money.  ONE condition.  And it's not where the money is going but rather where its not going.  He didn't ask her to submit bills to him, he just said that if she used his money to support a man who terrorized and abused him he was no longer giving her any money.  

And that condition makes Axe the asshole?  He was supposed to be okay with that?  IMO, his mother is more the asshole for making him have to say it.  

Edited by RealReality
(edited)
58 minutes ago, Sycophant4Lease said:

My wife (who only watches the show if she's in the room and decides to look up from her phone or magazine) and I pretty much said the same thing. "Why didn't she keep the Lexus, and give HIM the Honda Pilot?".

That would've made more sense.  But then again, that wouldn't have triggered Axe's curiosity.

Don't forget, that is one HUGE house his mother lives in.  I'm pretty sure Axe funded that as well.  Not only would she lose his financial support, but she'd lose that house as well.  She wouldn't be able to keep up with the taxes by waiting tables or cashiering at a local store.  That is of course assuming the house is in HER name.

One question:  Does anyone else find it weird that Axe always knocks on the door of his mother's house?  Most kids would just have a key and walk right in.

I think I have a key to my parents house but i still knock.  Also, my dad is vigilant about using a chain.  I've walked in when their garage is open.

I think the dad likely manipulatively talked his way into the new car and was perfectly happy to let his ex wife take the older vehicle.  Because an old car wasn't enough, he had to see just how far he could push, how much he could get, where the boundaries are.  And apparently there are none because he ended up with her brand new car.    

Edited by RealReality
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, RealReality said:

Okay, so then not all conditions placed on money is abusive and controlling.  

My dad paid for me to go to college, which included money for housing, books, tuition and spending money.  That money was conditioned on me attending college.  I didn't get my lifestyle funded if I decided that I just wanted to leave.  In that case, I had to pay my way.  

The money was conditioned and I didn't and still don't think if it as abusive and controlling.  I don't think conditions are per se abusive control.  Axe put a condition on his money.  ONE condition.  And it's not where the money is going but rather where its not going.  He didn't ask her to submit bills to him, he just said that if she used his money to support a man who terrorized and abused him he was no longer giving her any money.  

And that condition makes Axe the asshole?  He was supposed to be okay with that?  IMO, his mother is more the asshole for making him have to say it.  

That’s not similar at all and you were the “child”.  You don’t treat your elderly mother like that even when she makes shitty decisions. He had other ways to run his father out of town, they make the character almost god like. 

3 hours ago, rhygirl720 said:

okay so...let me just say I would personally not ever speak to anyone the way Axe speaks to well everyone...let alone my mother .  Axe doing it is certainly within his character. This episode dealt a lot with emotional intelligence.  Axe clearly has little and needs Wendy and this makes me understand their relationship better. The season has slowly revealed Axe's weaknesses.  

Their is a vast divide between happy tone and seething with anger...find the middle . Not everything needs or can be brow beaten to submission. 

And at the same time revealing this weakness they still show him as being in control of anyone he wants.  

• Love 1