Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E01: From The Ashes

Ok, so this was a great season premiere. So many things happened and there was only one very negative thing for me. So, I'll just start with the negative.

Sheidheda's back. He was the worst part of last season and I guarantee you that I will be complaining about him for all of this season. What a pointless, uninteresting, and completely annoying villain that this show has ever had. The Madi stuff was not interesting last season because I loathe the Flame stuff carrying over to this new planet. And now we have Sheidheda as a secondary villain and it's just completely unnecessary. I knew he'd show back up, but....goddamn, it's going to be annoying to watch. 

I like JR Bourne, and didn't like Russell, but I would have much rather the end be Clarke taking out his mind drive and having him try to survive on his own without it...or something. But honestly, all they need to do is take out his damn mind drive. Why isn't this the first thing they're doing as punishment? 

But yeah, my issue with Sheidheda is that he's a villain from another planet. We moved planets so we should have new villains tied to THIS world. I don't want Sheidheda and I don't care. And now, guarantee that Jordan and his band of Adjustment Protocol Cult Members will follow Sheidheda because they will all likely only follow a dictator who gets them to believe that he's a God. 

However...this is my ONLY gripe with the episode because everything else was well done.

Raven! She gets to be funny again! And she gets to be light-hearted and not judgy like she's been for two full seasons. Now, I know she's always been judgmental, but she also never use to be passive aggressive and moody like she's been since the time jump (besides the romancing Shaw scenes in season 5 and 6x01). Chill Raven is great and I love that she's getting along with Clarke.

I really liked seeing the Madi/Clarke scene. They barely interacted last season, and I'm glad that it looks like Madi gets to have some fun as a kid. And now she has a pet dog! Hi, Picasso!

And Indra! We get more Indra! Last season, we really only had one episode with her, but it looks like we'll get plenty of Indra this season. Same with Gaia, who now has to find a new purpose outside of the Flame...well, until she learns about Sheidheda.

I forgot Murphy/Emori are still known as Daniel and Kaylee Prime and I guess they'll continue to play that role? Even though Clarke had that whole speech of burning Russell/Sheidheda at the end. 

And it looks like Murphy is still suffering the consequences for his actions from last season. Ultimately, I know he made bad choices but I hope this season is less of Blame Murphy, because that gets old.

Now, for the other stuff outside of Sanctum. We finally meet Hope! I really liked the Hope/Gabriel/Echo team-up. We saw hallucination Roan! And we saw a glimpse into Hope's childhood with...Auntie Octavia? Did I hear that right? Adorable. 

And Bellamy is captured by whoever the invisible guys in suits are. And they all are in the Anomaly now? 

I am super interested in this season. It's such a shame that it's the final season.

• Love 6

1. Gotta love that Bob Morley finally got second billing, only to get dragged off the episode and vanish completely. 

(Also, the shots of the Bellamy prop getting dragged through the woods were legit hilarious. And mildly sad - I know the CW shows all film on the cheap, but The 100 typically tries to at least look a bit better than this.)

2. Echo agrees to team up with two people she barely knows and has no reason to trust to jump into a green thingy. I feel like there's a reason she usually takes the soldier/spy role. 

3. What are we calling the armored people in the green thingy? Armored people in green thingy? That takes a long time to type.

4. I see Jordan did not get any less annoying or more intelligent during the hiatus. Seriously, kid, you're the son of two of the more intelligent, savvy and pragmatic characters on the show. Did you inherit none of their genes?

5. I complained about this last year, so I'll keep complaining now: where are the factories producing all of this stuff, or did the Primes just remember to take appliances along on their space journey? Yeah, that house and the furniture could have been built by hand/hand tools - it wasn't too far off from some 18th century houses - but, uh, where did they get the shingles?

6. Also, minor point, but when exactly did Raven learn to bake perfect dinner rolls? Up on the Ark? (The first round through, not the second round when they were living on Monty's algae.) In Becca's lab?

7. On another minor point, ouch with that outfit they chose for Madi this episode. Ouch ouch. 

8. Count me in as another not really thrilled to see the return of Sheidheda. We have rival religious groups, annoyed hardcore criminals, armored people in the green thingy, and Murphy. This seems like quite enough, and frankly, we've now had several seasons of Becca and the Chips and the Commanders. Let's focus on the armored people in the green thingy.

9. I am so going to hate typing out armored people in the green thingy. I need a name for these people in the next episode.

10. On the other hand, Raven is cheerful again, Emori got to have a moment of glee about living in a castle, Clarke is willing to kill again, Murphy is still with us, and Echo gets to have her own adventure. So not all bad. 

• Love 6

The 100 is back for the final time (well, there is apparently a spin-off that is being talked about)!  As usual, I'm extra thankful for the Previously recap, because I really don't remember everything due to all of the long waits.

No surprise, everything is a pretty big mess, thanks to all of the factions (Children of Gabriel, the Primes, the convicts from the spaceship) being at each others throats, due to their conflicting motivations.  It's never easy, is it?  One of the many reasons why I don't think Clarke deserves half of the hate she gets from some of the other characters, because most of the time it's impressive that things aren't even worse after she has to deal with shitshow after shitshow.  At least she had a break this episode, since Murphy was getting the brunt of it, but I'm sure something will end up happening eventually, because it wouldn't be The 100 if people weren't pissed at Clarke.

And now it seems like Russell Prime is actual dead and the Sheidheda has taken over his body?  Oh, boy!

Murphy and Emori having to continue to be Daniel and Kaylee Prime should be fun.  Although, since they're suppose to be siblings, they're going to have to hide all of the flirting and sexual banter, heh.

Indra continues to be the best.  Adina Porter is a treasure.

Meanwhile, Bellamy gets kidnapped by some kind of invisible soldiers and is taken into the void, so Echo, Gabriel, and Future Hope go in after him.  Hmm...

Agree that it was nice seeing a lighter, happier Raven.  Maybe this will last for a few episodes!  Or even the entire season!!

Cool seeing Hallucination Ronan.

Opening credits update: with Paige Turco gone, Bob Morley gets second-billed status now (along with everyone else getting bumped up, naturally), and the new names go to JR Bourne (Russell), Chuku Modu (Gabriel), and Shelby Flannery (Hope.)  I'm sure a lot of negotiation and name recognition go into these decisions, but I still wonder if mainstays like Jarod Joseph (Miller) and Luisa d'Oliveria are thinking "Man, what do we have to do to get a damn spot?!" 

Curious to see how this will all wrap up (and who might be getting set-up for the possible spin-off.)

• Love 4
15 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

As usual, I'm extra thankful for the Previously recap, because I really don't remember everything due to all of the long waits.

Lol.  My husband and I both had those same thoughts.  Wait, what happened in the season finale?  We know there are plenty of details we don't remember.

• Love 1

I enjoyed the episode quite a bit.  I was so grateful that each of the factions seemed to have their own style of dress.  That made it much easier for me to follow what was happening.  So many new faces!

I was hoping for more time devoted to the anomaly.  That's the part I'm most interested in.  Sure, I'd like to see what happens in Sanctum, but that part is really the same as the grounders and the mountain men.  It's several factions with "The 100" playing the peacekeepers.

What the heck is the anomaly?!?  That's the story I'm really interested in.

• Love 3

So our intrepid heroes decide to try and lead a more peaceful and free Sanctuary...and within about a day they manage to start setting things on fire. Well, that is certainly on brand...

I kid, this is all going to be really freaking hard, trying to get these disparate people who all have reasons to hate each other to all come together to form some kind of society, and it seems like they are really making an effort here. Welcome back The 100! Its really bizarre to think that this is our last run, it feels like this show has been around for ages, even when I stopped watching for a bit and then when I picked it up again, I hope that maybe our heroes can finally catch a few freaking breaks. 

I thought this was a good start to the season, even if I am not thrilled to see Sheidheda back again (I thought that we left Earth to get new villains and new characters?!) and being all evil and vague, I think they are setting up a lot of interesting ideas for this season. Its still so surreal to me seeing everyone just hanging out in some normal farmhouse, it feels two this show just got smashed into a drama set in some modern day small town.

I am so happy that Raven has chilled out a bit, and that she has finally moved past being pissed off at Clarke, and in general everyone has stopped with the "Ugh Clarke is the worst" ridiculousness. I guess now everyone is going to be mad at Murphy for the next few days before someone else gets passed the blame stick. Really, nobody on this show should be throwing stones at this point, if everyone got snippy with everyone had did horrible things, nobody would ever get anything done. I know that Murphy made a lot of bad choices last season after his near neath experience, but hopefully he will finally get his act together consistently this season after everything with Abby. 

Indra is back in the game and I could not be more happy. Also dont worry Gaia, I guess your day job isn't done quite yet!

Maddi/Clarke scenes were nice, it was really great seeing them smiling and Maddi getting some kid time. She even gets a dog! 

So now future Hope is here...for about a second, because she, Gabe, and Echo ran after Bellamy, but was grabbed and dragged into the swirly mystery light. Poor Bellamy, its always something. This is one of the few shows where I am almost glad that the show is over just because I want the characters to finally get to take a very long rest. 

Murphy and Emori having to play act as Daniel and Kaylee should be fun, even if them being Primes is probably going to put them into more danger than usual, especially Murphy can only barley be bothered to stay in character, he is so depressed. And now they dont even get the palace! 

• Love 4

I was waiting for Clarke to show up. I knew her pacifist happy face would not last. Clarke's a fighter and I wish she had ended Russell so Sheidheda would be gone just as he came back. Because I'm not interested in his drama again. Which we will be stuck with because he has a bunch of cult worshipers that will follow him.  

I liked seeing Clarke and Madi scenes, those were missing last season. I'm also glad Raven's over her Clarke sucks attitude. No one wants to make any choices then gets mad when Clarke is forced to make one. It's not always the right one but no one else ever seems to step up. 

I also appreciate that they all have on their style. So I can tell the groups apart. There is so many now. I wonder how long Murphy and Emori will have to pretend to be primes? Probably not long with Sheiheda. 

So Echo's part of team anomaly with Diyoza's grown daughter. So far she seems less annoying than Monty's kid. 

I'm waiting for this show to end for the backstage drama to come out because this show seems to have a lot of it. 

Ugh... Can we dump all the Sanctum stuff (especial Sheidhada) and just hang out with Anomalykru all season?? That's far more interesting and not just a retread of what we've seen before.... does the anomaly lead to some other place/time that still has humans? Sound like there is a big bad in there also that sent Hope to kill Octavia... 

• Love 4
12 hours ago, roctavia said:

Ugh... Can we dump all the Sanctum stuff (especial Sheidhada) and just hang out with Anomalykru all season?? That's far more interesting and not just a retread of what we've seen before.... does the anomaly lead to some other place/time that still has humans? Sound like there is a big bad in there also that sent Hope to kill Octavia... 

Anomalykru -- I like that.

• Love 5

Am I remembering the Season 6 finale wrong?  (Which is definitely possbile.)  I thought Clark was with Bellamy & Octavia when the anomaly brought Hope.

5 hours ago, Ziggy said:

Am I remembering the Season 6 finale wrong?  (Which is definitely possbile.)  I thought Clark was with Bellamy & Octavia when the anomaly brought Hope.

Clark was back in Sanctum.

Gabriel, Bellamy, Octavia and Echo were in Gabriel's tent, examining the ancient artifact in the underground chamber.

• Love 2
(edited)

I never remember what happened the previous season. I think this would be a good series to watch over again without the long breaks. 

I pretty much agree with everyone. Sheidhada: boo, anomaly: yay

I don't know if the characters will come together at some point but if this stays as two storylines I guess my Bellarke heart is not getting what it wants. 

This has been said many times over the years by a lot of us, but bears repeating, how did Murphy get to be one of my favorite characters? He better make it out of this alive! And happy!

Edited by Samwise979
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, Samwise979 said:

I never remember what happened the previous season. I think this would be a good series to watch over again without the long breaks.

Right?!?  I'll read someone say, "This is just like in Season 4 when ... " and I'll be thinking to myself, "Season 4, what happened in Season 4?"

• Love 4

Forget about seasons, I don't know who half these people are. I know Clarke and Murphy and there's that guy who was Monty's kid and the woman with the flipper hand and Echo who everyone hates for some reason. Otherwise, there's too many guys with extremely tidy beards I can't remember.

What are the current odds the "anomaly" is a time machine that can send them back right before the apocalypse and Clarke can finally sacrifice herself stopping Alie from ending the world?

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, ketose said:

What are the current odds the "anomaly" is a time machine that can send them back right before the apocalypse and Clarke can finally sacrifice herself stopping Alie from ending the world?

On 5/20/2020 at 7:07 PM, thuganomics85 said:

Curious to see how this will all wrap up (and who might be getting set-up for the possible spin-off.)

It's my understanding that the potential spin-off is a prequel and takes place soon after the events that made Earth uninhabitable.  So I don't think anyone from the parent show will go to the spin-off, at least not without some element of travel back into time or possibly an actor playing a character's ancestor who looks just like them, haha.

I think it would be funny if everyone left at Sanctum across all tribes/groups/krus went through the anomaly and came back out 100 years old.  Then they can just sit against tree trunks, tired and not very mobile, in peace that has only come about due to their old age and "the 100" years on their bodies.  Old Murphy yells at some animal, "Get off my lawn!" THE END.

Also, Jordan is so incredibly useless.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
(edited)
8 hours ago, ketose said:

As far as potential spoilers go, anomaly is not a time machine.

Read at your own risk:

Spoiler

It's a portal that's used for travel to other planets, and since those planets are close to a singularity, time runs differently on all of them.

Edited by CooperTV

I'm happy the show is back and curious to see how it ends, but I'm not really interested in either the evil commander OR the anomaly. I kind of wanted to see what happened if they all tried to live in a society and work out their conflicts, but fine.

I LOL'd at the part where Hope gives Echo a note and says, "This was in my arm."

Indra seemed weirdly quarrelsome to me, and then I was like, "After everything she's been through with these people, let her be cranky."

On 5/21/2020 at 6:25 PM, Sakura12 said:

I'm also glad Raven's over her Clarke sucks attitude. No one wants to make any choices then gets mad when Clarke is forced to make one. It's not always the right one but no one else ever seems to step up. 

I don't totally disagree, but this episode they also all agreed not to do anything to Russell, and then they left Clarke alone for five seconds and she decided to execute Russell and burn down the holy palace.

It kind of goes to Raven's point that Clarke keeps making rash decisions that the rest of the group has to live with -- and, in this case, it's not like she had no other choice.

• Love 1
52 minutes ago, SourK said:

I'm happy the show is back and curious to see how it ends, but I'm not really interested in either the evil commander OR the anomaly. I kind of wanted to see what happened if they all tried to live in a society and work out their conflicts, but fine.

I LOL'd at the part where Hope gives Echo a note and says, "This was in my arm."

Indra seemed weirdly quarrelsome to me, and then I was like, "After everything she's been through with these people, let her be cranky."

I don't totally disagree, but this episode they also all agreed not to do anything to Russell, and then they left Clarke alone for five seconds and she decided to execute Russell and burn down the holy palace.

It kind of goes to Raven's point that Clarke keeps making rash decisions that the rest of the group has to live with -- and, in this case, it's not like she had no other choice.

She had no other choice. Russell gave Clarke some of HER MOM's OLD CLOTHES. He must die!

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
On 5/21/2020 at 12:07 PM, thuganomics85 said:

Indra continues to be the best.  Adina Porter is a treasure.

I had this realisation during this episode that she's such an amazing actor with such gravitas but that we simply don't write parts for an actor like her in any other show. I don't know what her career will be like post-100 and that's super depressing. Not to make a negative statement on the other actors because many of them are quite good, but I think she's by far the best on the show right now. She is her character on a fundamental level.

On 5/21/2020 at 11:19 AM, Lady Calypso said:

my issue with Sheidheda is that he's a villain from another planet

But he wasn't even on the other planet. He was this weird annoying retcon that popped up last season when things were already ridiculously overcrowded. Oh Sheidheda? Yeah, he's something we've been worried about for DECADES. Never heard of him before? We just never mentioned him. These writers have one fatal flaw. They use contrived action as a lazy writing prop to keep momentum. Given a moment to reflect and make things real they instead ram a new point of conflict in. It's why the show is too busy and too convoluted.

19 hours ago, AudienceofOne said:

I had this realisation during this episode that she's such an amazing actor with such gravitas but that we simply don't write parts for an actor like her in any other show. I don't know what her career will be like post-100 and that's super depressing. Not to make a negative statement on the other actors because many of them are quite good, but I think she's by far the best on the show right now. She is her character on a fundamental level.

She was amazing in True Blood as well... 

• Love 1

She was amazing in True Blood as well... 

And absolutely owned American Horror Story: Roanaoke.

I am late to starting Season 7, and have a question that I'm hoping you guys can help remind me:  can you please jog my memory on how it came to be that Murphy and Emori became nightbloods and Primes without actually having to get Daniel & Kaylee's mind drives installed in their heads??

3 hours ago, Genius said:

And absolutely owned American Horror Story: Roanaoke.

I am late to starting Season 7, and have a question that I'm hoping you guys can help remind me:  can you please jog my memory on how it came to be that Murphy and Emori became nightbloods and Primes without actually having to get Daniel & Kaylee's mind drives installed in their heads??

I think Josephine as Clarke wanted Murphy to work for her and in return she'd give him immortality. And she also wanted to get rid of Daniel and Kaylee for some reason. So she erased the drives and gave those to Murphy who betrayed his friends to get the drives but later felt bad about it?

• Love 1
2 hours ago, CooperTV said:

I think Josephine as Clarke wanted Murphy to work for her and in return she'd give him immortality. And she also wanted to get rid of Daniel and Kaylee for some reason. So she erased the drives and gave those to Murphy who betrayed his friends to get the drives but later felt bad about it?

Pretty much. Josephine hated Kaylee (who had been her best friend) because Kaylee is the one who betrayed Josie and killed her in her last incarnation. So wiping her and Daniel's mind drives to give to Murphy was done in retribution.

Murphy went along with the plan willingly until he found out Clarke wasn't completely dead, that's when he started balking.

• Love 1