Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E22: DadWare, Tough Apparel, Potty Safe, Lord von Schmitt

• Start Topic

A modern version of a fading men's fashion trend; a far-out textiles brand; a clothing design which helps to comfortably bring dads and their babies closer together; a solution to one of childhood's messiest milestones.

The Dadware guy had an interesting idea, but I don't see it being a bonanza.    Not getting a deal wasn't a big surprise.  

Potty Safe, I have no idea if this is a great idea or not, but I'm sick of people coming on the show and crying about their sacrifices that they made to get their product available.    They simply don't have the sales to justify a shark getting involved with them.   Lori will be a great partner, and if anyone can get this product out there, Lori can. 

The tie and sock guys were interesting, and had a cute product.   If the ties are non-fade, then they might be a great investment for men who have to wear them all of the time.    Robert will be a good partner for the company.  

The crochet clothes and accessories didn't appeal to me at all.    I'm not surprised that the man didn't get a deal.   I don't see his product as the next big thing.  

They just said that there is a Wednesday episode, and next Friday is the Season Finale. 

Like Skylar (Lord Schmidt) said,  the crocheted designs would be super popular at places like Coachella and Pride events. I look forward to the day when we can have those events again.

• Love 4

We didn't ever use a separate potty seat to train our kids- we got a step and the kid insert for the big toilet.... Not that it's going to work for everybody, but the whole carrying around a dish of pee/poop didn't appeal so we avoided it completely. If you think your kid is going to be the carry around their pee kind, you could skip the separate potty seat and problem is solved. 

The crochet guy was hilarious, but i figure on shark tank more for the publicity, but it bothers me less in his case, because it didn't seem like some shrewd business move, just a guy wanting to share the crochet. 

Skin to skin is great, but I don't know if a special shirt is all that necessary... take your shirt off! It's fine!! 

Didn't care about the tie guys... but I don't watch this show all that closely anymore 😛 What's the product, do I care? No, okay fast forward...

• Love 3
13 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Lori will be a great partner, and if anyone can get this product out there, Lori can. 

Her Squatty Potty WAS a worthwhile idea but you don't need to replace them, so the initial idea has already worn off.  It's pretty strategic to find more products in the same line.

• Love 2
20 minutes ago, AuntieDiane6 said:

Her Squatty Potty WAS a worthwhile idea but you don't need to replace them, so the initial idea has already worn off.  It's pretty strategic to find more products in the same line.

Well, I was surprised Squatty Potty was not mentioned in the first five minutes.

The crochet clothes were a ridiculous fit for Shark Tank.  But amusing to watch.  It's true that they have a million donated crochet afghans in thrift stores.  Someone's granny spent months on each, and they end up on the bargain bin.

I got a good laugh with the crochet guy, and his groovy friends.  I thought he would have been loud and over the top, so I'm glad he was funny and restrained.   It was worth it to see the various sharks strutting their stuff, although I could have done without the crocheted thong.  Loved the name, Lord Von Schmitt.

Hated the potty parents.  They could have the best product out there that would improve my life, and I wouldn't buy anything from them.  So emotional, ugh.  They were lucky Lori took pity, she really is the perfect shark.  I'm surprised the Squatty folks don't already have some kind of kiddie component.

Liked the tie guys, they seemed smart and practical.  A lot of guys really do still wear ties, especially young guys looking for jobs.  Although I would think that  with all the people working from home now, who probably don't even get out of their jammies, who knows.  I think they can extend their clothes beyond ties and socks., everybody really does still wear socks and I think there is always a market for inexpensive, long lasting clothes. 

I think there was more of a market for the baby shirt guy than the sharks realized.  There are still a lot of babies being born, and I can see this as being a component of a new baby gift set.  There are  (sadly) many guys, really, who should keep their shirt on but can still get some skin on skin time with their babies (or puppies).

3 hours ago, bilgistic said:

I watched the episode on Hulu and they cut whatever the dad and potty segments were. I didn't know about them until reading about them here.

You didn't miss anything. 3/4 of this episode was my pet peeve of Snark Tank: parents who have a stupid idea yet think they have revolutionized child-rearing. This season has had more of that than ever before. I think I'm ready for the season to end.

• Love 2
On 5/9/2020 at 12:32 AM, roctavia said:

We didn't ever use a separate potty seat to train our kids- we got a step and the kid insert for the big toilet.... Not that it's going to work for everybody, but the whole carrying around a dish of pee/poop didn't appeal so we avoided it completely. If you think your kid is going to be the carry around their pee kind, you could skip the separate potty seat and problem is solved.

Honestly, I don't get it.  It never occurred to me to have anything else for precisely these reasons.  If you introduce the snap-into-the-big-toilet-seat as the option for them, then that's what they know, and what they'll learn on.  Why on earth would you give them an option to dump and spill stuff everywhere?  Daymond's daughter was toilet trained at 14 months?  Wow, my sons were just starting to walk at that age.  Toilet training came much later and was rather painful...

"Where did you go to school?" and that starts the waterworks?  So tired of the crying entrepreneurs.

Crochet guy was never going to get a deal, but Mark has a good point about going more for one of a kind pieces as opposed to mass market.

The tie company has potential, as long as the ties look decent close up.  Cheap ties usually look like cheap ties.  Hopefully Daymond can help blow up the company.

The dad/baby shirt.  This is such a tiny, niche market thing.  I really don't think you need this.  You could just wear a zip-up hoody or take off your shirt.  You don't need to buy a special $40 shirt.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, aemom said:

Daymond's daughter was toilet trained at 14 months?  Wow, my sons were just starting to walk at that age.  Toilet training came much later and was rather painful...

Americans start training much later than almost all other cultures and also make it into a much bigger deal than it needs to be. I also highly doubt that other cultures feel the need to spend a lot of money on special equipment to get the task done. After all, once upon a time it was accomplished with nothing more than a chamber pot and an outhouse. Children haven't gotten stupider since then, but their parents sure have. There are parents who will buy five different types of potty chairs thinking they have to experiment to find out which one each kid likes the best. Then they wonder why the kid is confused because they aren't doing something consistent from the start. Then there are the people who actually move on to hiring consultants. Somehow, they think if your aren't spending a lot of money on it, you're not doing it right when it is really the exact opposite. If you're too stupid to be able to potty train your kids without nothing more than a little advise from your pediatrician, then you probably shouldn't have had children to begin with. It is a natural process and shouldn't take anywhere near the time and financial investments Americans make to accomplish it. Their product will probably become a huge seller just because people are too stupid to realize they don't need to spend money on it. They already had Robert convinced he had to go out and buy two immediately for his kids. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

Best toilet training story I ever heard was in an old Dear Abby letter.   Kid was almost four and refused to be trained.  Family planned a trip to Disney and told the kids that diapers weren’t allowed in Disney, so she’d have to stay home with a sitter while the rest of the family went on vacation.   She practically trained herself in less than a week.  

• Useful 1
  • LOL 6
  • Love 4

Had a dear friend whose daughter woke up at 14 months dry, never did a thing and she tortured all of us. Had a kid 2 years later who didn’t train until close to 4. Not something anyone should brag about , every child is different .

• Love 4

Can't believe Laurie was so moved by the potty woman that she gave her a "pity" deal. I mean, from what I could tell, the woman was not crying over her own sacrifices, but because her parents had sacrificed so much to send her to college. Then she becomes an accountant with a good job, then leaves that career and mortgages the house for an unproven concept that all 5 of the sharks rejected. 

It's her parents that should be crying! I doubt anything comes of it. 

• Love 8

I was the most amused that the sharks assumed the Tough Tie guys were a couple ("and how long have you guys been together?")

Kevin was right, that there's no demand for a child-proof potty seat. It's one thing for a kid to point to the potty seat, it's another to ... pick up the bowl?! My kids never did that. Classic solution in search of a problem.

• Love 5
On 5/8/2020 at 9:06 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

Potty Safe, I have no idea if this is a great idea or not, but I'm sick of people coming on the show and crying about their sacrifices that they made to get their product available.    They simply don't have the sales to justify a shark getting involved with them.   Lori will be a great partner, and if anyone can get this product out there, Lori can. 

The way she teared up as soon as she said "college" I thought for sure the sob story was going to be that she had to quit school, not that her parents sacrificed  to put her through school!

I'm so tired of the moms who put on the waterworks.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 5