Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E05: The Best Laid Plans

Aww, I was so sure it was the doctor who was rushing Maura to sign the death certificate and not Days Of Our Lives Brady Black.

Definitely want Maura to date the Prof -- could be good for her to have a personal life outside the Rizzolis. (Remember her parents?  Yikes!)

I like the substory about Frost's chair.  That felt real to me.

• Love 1

Sorry but Jane ended up apologizing to Angela was bullshit! She wasn't disrespectful or wrong .. Angela was being overbearing .. like she is, always!

The first episode of this season was good. Since then I've been the kinda bored. Meh.

• Love 2

The Frost chair made my eyes leak, too.

I've just started following this forum, so pardon if it's been done to death, but.... am I the only one that really doesn't want Rizzoli to have a baby?  I am so afraid the show would turn towards a whole lot of clumsy, inept baby scenes that have been done ad nauseum in sitcoms.

I just prefer the crime and banter.

• Love 3

Sorry but Jane ended up apologizing to Angela was bullshit! She wasn't disrespectful or wrong .. Angela was being overbearing .. like she is, always!

The first episode of this season was good. Since then I've been the kinda bored. Meh.

I was appalled that Angela went to Jane's ob-gyn appointment "for Jane."  I cheered Jane on when she called her mother out  for being "invasive."  But then, in the cafe for all to hear, Angela made a long, cold indictment of her daughter's emotional boundaries.  And then, this being TV land, they made up.  But I will remember Angela's controlling behavior.  

Quick thought on Angela's trip to the Ob-GYN:

I kind of hope it's manipulation.  If Baby Rizzoli is going to happen, Jane needs to go to those appointments.  She's over 35; so while she looks amazing, she is still high risk.  Perhaps Angela going will cause her to say "Fine, I'll go, but you have to stay in the waiting room/ car/ Starbucks down the street."  Probably not it, though.

(edited)

am I the only one that really doesn't want Rizzoli to have a baby?  I am so afraid the show would turn towards a whole lot of clumsy, inept baby scenes that have been done ad nauseum in sitcoms.

I just prefer the crime and banter.

I agree completely zilla (may I call you zilla?).  If she can't even be arsed to go the her OB/GYN appt., what is she going to do when the kid has all the usual illness's, appointments, school functions, etc?  I guess it will be o.k. for Angela to "interfere" then.

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Love 1

Yep Peach :-) zilla is fine.  I just for the life of me can't figure out why the writers need the baby.  There is so much more to be done with Maura and the brothers, plus  I always side-eye any mature woman that "accidentally" gets knocked up.

Back in the old days of the website "Jump The Shark" - everyone knew bringing in a baby would cause a show to go bad - i.e. "Mad About You".

• Love 2

Yep Peach :-) zilla is fine.  I just for the life of me can't figure out why the writers need the baby.  There is so much more to be done with Maura and the brothers, plus  I always side-eye any mature woman that "accidentally" gets knocked up.

Back in the old days of the website "Jump The Shark" - everyone knew bringing in a baby would cause a show to go bad - i.e. "Mad About You".

Blame the baby on Janet Tamaro.  It was her cliffhanger for season 4.  I assume Jan Nash felt she had to keep the pregnancy going for awhile, since Frost's death was such a painful beginning to season 5.  A miscarriage is coming, I hope and believe.

• Love 1
(edited)

Yes, Angela overstepped her boundaries. However, so did Maura. Exactly which chief medical examiner in real life would blow off showing up at the first lecture in a course she's teaching without notice, without calling at all,.... so that she could attend a friends ob/gyn appointment without being asked to do so? Maura is a very responsible person, she's not going to do that.

Furthermore, Jane should already be taking folic acid and pre-natal vitamins.... that would have happened when she called her ob/gyn for an appointment. Furthermore, Maura Encyclopedia would have already told her so, and be watching her swallow the pills. if she can't be bothered to do that, can't be bothered to go to the appointment, then maybe she needs her Mom manipulating her into going and treating her growing fetus with a little more care. Jane's attitude toward this pregnancy is closer to Lydia's than a responsible adult. .

Edited by mythoughtis

I am loving this season (except for the absence of Lee Thompson Young) because the cases make sense and the interactions between the characters feel real.

Even though I want Jane and Maura to get together because they shouldn't just be LLBFF's I actually like the new guy that Maura met in this episode. It will be interesting to see Maura outside of the precinct and her house.

I don't think Maura overstepped at all. I think Maura was nervous about teaching and she was using taking Jane to her doctor as an excuse to get out of it.

I wish there was less and less of Angela. And it bugs me that Cavanaugh is not there without any explanation. I get it that maybe the actor is not available, but why not just recast him? 

Someone had mentioned animals are expensive but why not have Angela appear less and squeeze in Bass and Joe Friday? I don't need to see Angela every episode. 

They had the budget before and they should have the budget still unless both Sasha and Angie asked for big raises which we have not heard of.

• Love 1

A miscarriage is coming, I hope and believe.

I sort of hope not.  As stupid as this baby plot is, I think a miscarriage story would be worse, beyond giving Angie Harmon some good material to play.

I also kind of wish that they'd at least raised the issue of Jane getting an abortion.  I don't think she would, but at least acknowledging it would have been nice.

Maura told Jane that her new professor "friend" made her excited about having sex...

But somehow, could Maura ever engage in an activity that involved being nekkid and sweaty and messy (what with all those bodily fluids and all...)? 

She'd likely have to figure out a way to "do it" in a cute outfit with fabulous shoes.   And no mess!

I,too, hope the pregnancy storyline ends soon. In the R & I books (in case anyone here hasn't read them), Rizzoli is married to an FBI agent and they do have a child (daughter) (and Maura is hopelessly in love with a priest). But in the books there's no sexual tension/attraction between the two women; just as deep and important a friendship, but no "push-pull" pings on a reader's gaydar.  I think the wonderful natural chemistry that the two actors enjoy--as well as the purposeful teasing of the large lesbian fan base -- prompted the writers to come up with this s/l. Gotta make sure that these two are/remain straight (wink, wink)

I also kind of wish that they'd at least raised the issue of Jane getting an abortion.  I don't think she would, but at least acknowledging it would have been nice.

Such is the state of American television - characters find themselves unintentionally pregnant (because, apparently, either TV contraception has a higher failure rate than its real-life counterpart, or TV characters are pretty lax about using it) and don't spend so much as a minute considering the option to terminate.

Babies ruin just about every show, and would certainly ruin this one for me, so I'm hoping the new showrunner doesn't feel compelled to carry this storyline through.  The sooner we can dispatch with it and get back to the usual formula, the better. 

This episode was just okay, but that's always how I feel about the show, so it's enjoyable fun; I'm just watching for the friendship anyway.  Angela has become almost unbearably annoying, however. 

I like Jane and Maura's talk about the new guy; they always manage to have moments of girlishness that are just that - moments.  With too many women on television perpetually portrayed as adolescent twits in the face of a man, it's refreshing. 

• Love 1

I like how the show is still dealing with Frost's death--it's not just, bury him and then forget. Obviously the grief has real roots, but I'm glad the characters are still discussing missing Frost and how they're going to move forward. 

• Love 2

like how the show is still dealing with Frost's death--it's not just, bury him and then forget. Obviously the grief has real roots, but I'm glad the characters are still discussing missing Frost and how they're going to move forward

I agree.  They are doing a great job of using the little things (the chair, the coffee, the bobblehead) to show how normal people are affected over time when there is a death close to them.  It's seems very realistic.  I don't know if they are doing that because a real live human being died, not just a character, but it seems very normal.  

Count me amongst the group that does not want Jane to be pregnant. This just does not feel like the right kind of show for that.  I was glad she had broken up with her boyfriend but now she's tied to him forever. I am still holding out hope that Billy Burke's character comes back. I though he and AH had great chemisty,

I love, love, love Maura's new man.  She has needed a man in her life for a while now and I really hope they keep him around a while.  The two actors had a lot of chemistry.    It is odd how they just dropped the romance with Jane's brother though. I kind of liked them together too.

They are doing very well with the Frost storyline and my heart breaks every time they even mention him. I cannot imagine how hard it must be for the actors to portray something that is so real to them.

Agree, Anglela is just...ugh. She just needs to go away. 

I agree that it was super weird that Angela told Jane to take Folic Acid since she would have been doing that already.  I also thought it was weird that in the first episode of the season, Maura tells Jane not to drink coffee but she drinks the coffee Korsak gives her before he knows to give her decaf.  And if Maura was just telling her not to drink coffee, it must be, what, the day after the finale?  And yet Frankie's lip was healed and Tommy was in AA.  So timewise, where are we in Jane's pregnancy?

Like so many have said, I'm not sure a baby would work in this show, but I'm willing to give it a try.  It can't be worse than Angela's current behavior.  But, even that, I sort of understand.  Jane does NOT take care of herself.  Olives and ketchup for dinner?  Angela has wanted Jane to give her a grandkid, and like someone said, she's high risk, especially with her job.  She's trying to whack Jane across the head with a 2x4 and tell her to wake up and take this seriously.  Although, that said, it was creepy that she wants to be Jane's midwife.  Eww.

(edited)

Don't forget, Angela has a grandchild already (TJ).  According to TNT's half-hidden spoilers,

Jane will heroically lose the baby and I am glad of that.

Edited by stacey
Spoiler tag
  • Love 2
(edited)

And I most definitely have not forgotten TJ.  But Angela was still harping Jane about babies at Tommy's engagement party...

Edited by stacey
Spoiler tag

I cringed when Angela said that she wanted to be Jane's midwife. Doesn't she have a clue that midwifes especially those who work in hospitals are extremely educated women with a RN and a degree in midwifery? I hope that maybe she was thinking of a doula.

• Love 1

I cringed when Angela said that she wanted to be Jane's midwife. Doesn't she have a clue that midwifes especially those who work in hospitals are extremely educated women with a RN and a degree in midwifery? I hope that maybe she was thinking of a doula.

Best case scenario: Angela is just that uninformed--which fits the character.

Worst case scenario: The writers don't know any better.

• Love 1

Best case scenario: Angela is just that uninformed--which fits the character.

Worst case scenario: The writers don't know any better.

Most doulas are also highly educated and trained. (I am one) I also cringed!