Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E08: ... pissed off everyone I know

• Start Topic

While the specifics weren't foreseeable, Fabiola, you were just asking for something like that to happen by buying/wearing a white suit.

• LOL 2
  • Love 4

This was a good one. I can understand her friends being so mad at her, trauma doesn't give you a pass forever.

I think the show wants us to ship her with Ben in the typical romcom manner, but I like Paxton. Also, how cute was that heart miniskirt outfit she modeled? I would have so worn that when I was younger.

• Love 7
7 minutes ago, festivus said:

I can understand her friends being so mad at her, trauma doesn't give you a pass forever.

I like that Fab called Devi out on that specifically.

8 minutes ago, festivus said:

Also, how cute was that heart miniskirt outfit she modeled? I would have so worn that when I was younger.

I know! No wonder Devi wanted to keep it.

• Love 6
(edited)
On 5/1/2020 at 12:33 AM, SeanC said:

While the specifics weren't foreseeable, Fabiola, you were just asking for something like that to happen by buying/wearing a white suit.

Right? I mean girl, really? A white suit to an unchaperoned high school party? I guess I can chalk it up to their never doing things like going to high school parties before. 

On 5/1/2020 at 10:10 AM, festivus said:

I think the show wants us to ship her with Ben in the typical romcom manner, but I like Paxton.

I like Paxton too and I like that the show avoided the cliche of making him a complete popular asshole/douche. Let's face it, Paxton has more than enough reason to think Devi's a nutjob and to avoid her if he so chose to.

But he's been nice and kind to her a lot of times - bringing her to the hospital after she got bitten and staying with her until her mom got there (which btw, gave us the hilarious moment between him and her mom), not exposing her being a liar about their hooking up and in this episode, helping her out of the pool and driving her home. 

I definitely think the kiss was probably a pity, "I feel bad for you" kiss but I guess his heart was in the right place. As I said in another thread, I don't ship Devi with either Paxton or Ben because in my opinion, Devi doesn't need a boyfriend, as her therapist noted, and instead she needs to stop running away from her grief and deal with it. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 7

The fight was brutal.  There are no winners; only hurt feelings and sadness.  I get why they are mad at her, and I get why she is acting in the way she is.  It just sucks. 

The ongoing gag of the See's chocolate gift continues to make me smile.  It was cute that Devi brought one for Ben.  Their cringy scene in the (bomb ass!) home theater was great.  

Meanwhile, I like that Paxton isn't willing to let her continually suffer humiliation alone.  He can be a bit aloof and a bit of "I'm so cool" jerk, but for the most part, he seems like a nice guy. 

• Love 5
On 5/1/2020 at 12:33 AM, SeanC said:

I'm choosing to see that scene as a reference to the Can't Buy Me Love scene where Amanda is idiotic enough to wear a thousand dollar white suede dress to a high school party. Anyway, raise your hand if you were shocked that Ben tried to kiss Devi. *Crickets*

• Love 4

And THAT is why you dont wear white to a wild teen party.

God Bens parents suck so hard, leaving him on his sixteenth birthday, and with that whole "if you dont want us to go..."crap. No wonder he tried a move on Devi, one of the only people who has actually shown him any real positive attention. 

That fight was seriously cruel, in the way that only fights with people who you know really well can be. No one really wins or loses, everyone just leaves sad. I get why Devi is acting the way that she is after everything she went through, but being traumatized doesent give her a free pass to treat her friends like crap, and they shouldn't have to just take it forever. 

I suspect that Devi and Ben will end up together, but I do like Paxton. He can be a bit careless and has some Too Cool For School tendencies when they are at school, but he does seem like a nice guy who really does like Devi. 

"...she has her good days..." 

• Love 7
34 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

God Bens parents suck so hard, leaving him on his sixteenth birthday, and with that whole "if you dont want us to go..."crap.

Ben’s parents were impossible caricatures to me, but the worst part was that they thought it was okay for their teen son to have an unsupervised party in their home of many rooms. Again: Not realistic. 

37 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

I suspect that Devi and Ben will end up together, but I do like Paxton. He can be a bit careless and has some Too Cool For School tendencies when they are at school, but he does seem like a nice guy who really does like Devi. 

If they make Paxton gay, then Devi can have both. 

On 5/11/2020 at 12:23 AM, TrininisaScorp said:

The fight was brutal.  There are no winners; only hurt feelings and sadness.  I get why they are mad at her, and I get why she is acting in the way she is.  It just sucks. 

I agree.  I am going to post something that happened on the season three finale of On My Block behind spoiler tags just in case some haven't seen it.

Spoiler

In On My Block, the friends go through A LOT of very heavy stuff together, really cementing their friendship.  On the season 3 finale of the show, the main character Monse goes off to a boarding school on the east coast.  Before she leaves with her dad, her friends give her a framed photograph of all of them.  I think Monse tells them that she'll put it right by her bed in her new school.  They drive away.  Then it's two years later.  Monse is in her new school, sitting on the bed with her new friends/roommates, they look like they're watching a movie.  The camera pans to her dresser, you see photographs of Monse and her new friends, a photograph of Monse and her dad and then you see the photograph of Monse and her friends from the neighborhood pushed ALL the way back, so you can barely see it.  In life, things happen and friendships and people change.  It does suck but it is what it is. 

• Love 1
(edited)
19 hours ago, Neurochick said:

I agree.  I am going to post something that happened on the season three finale of On My Block behind spoiler tags just in case some haven't seen it.

Reveal spoiler

In On My Block, the friends go through A LOT of very heavy stuff together, really cementing their friendship.  On the season 3 finale of the show, the main character Monse goes off to a boarding school on the east coast.  Before she leaves with her dad, her friends give her a framed photograph of all of them.  I think Monse tells them that she'll put it right by her bed in her new school.  They drive away.  Then it's two years later.  Monse is in her new school, sitting on the bed with her new friends/roommates, they look like they're watching a movie.  The camera pans to her dresser, you see photographs of Monse and her new friends, a photograph of Monse and her dad and then you see the photograph of Monse and her friends from the neighborhood pushed ALL the way back, so you can barely see it.  In life, things happen and friendships and people change.  It does suck but it is what it is. 

As a fan of both shows, I TOTALLY agree.   I remember thinking in high school that those would be my ppl forever; some of us don't really talk and the rest are acquaintances.  I'm now way friendly with other ppl in high school that weren't part of my immediate clique. You just don't know what is going to bond you together (my best friends are my grad school friends b/c we were forged by the fiery hell that is grad school), what tears you apart, and even more normal, IMO, what slowly drifts you apart until there isn't anything there.   The show does such a nice job of showing that slow push and pull. 

Edited by TrininisaScorp
  • Love 1
On 5/2/2020 at 12:18 PM, truthaboutluv said:

Right? I mean girl, really? A white suit to an unchaperoned high school party? I guess I can chalk it up to their never doing things like going to high school parties before. 

On 5/12/2020 at 1:11 AM, methodwriter85 said:

I'm choosing to see that scene as a reference to the Can't Buy Me Love scene where Amanda is idiotic enough to wear a thousand dollar white suede dress to a high school party. Anyway, raise your hand if you were shocked that Ben tried to kiss Devi. *Crickets*

I'm right there with you on the Can't Buy Me Love reference...as well as the Sixteen Candles reference, when Ben went in for another kiss after Devi said, "It's OK."  

"I meant it's OK that it happened ONCE, not that you should do it AGAIN!!"  ~Samantha Baker, after The Geek tries to smooch her the second time

• Love 4

I really like Paxton’s sister. She’s nice and talented and ambitious and I feel like we haven’t seen a character with Down’s syndrome like her before.

“I left a funeral to be by your side after Nick Jonas married an Indian woman that wasn’t you.” Bwahahaha.

”The only person who gets hurt at parties is you!” It’s funny ‘cause it’s true.

On 5/17/2020 at 4:19 PM, tennisgurl said:

"...she has her good days..." 

Trent’s grandma was a sad, dark turn on a show about a girl who had psychosomatic paralysis after her father’s death. Also, I love the side characters. 

I’m amused by Ben’s misinterpretation of “it’s cool.” I do appreciate that Devi really didn’t seem too annoyed by it, but that wasn’t falling for someone who she’s only recently started being nice to.

I love Paxton. He seems like a good guy and a better brother. I ship it.

• Love 5
(edited)

It drives me crazy when people are vague with their texts or messages. My mom does that and I keep telling her not to just say, "Can you call me back right away?" Not everything is an emergency so don't make me think it's urgent when it isn't! And Paxton doesn't know one other girl at school who could come over? You know, like Zoe of the bouncing boobs video? Oh, right, none of them know about his sister because she's a secret.

I totally cracked up when Devi was doing all of the ANTM poses and hands. I liked that Paxton's sister made cute but believable outfits (like they weren't so out there that it would seem ridiculous that a high school student made them).

Ben's birthday cake was horrifying. Even worse was that his parents left him alone on his sixteenth birthday.

Wow, Eleanor was true to her word. Once she decided not to be an actress, she dressed, as Devi said, like a sad librarian.

It's always interesting to see how people perceive things differently. Devi sees Kamala as perfect but goody goody, so finding out that she snuck Steve into the house was what made her finally respect her, which cracked me up. Now she finds her cousin much more interesting!

I can't blame Fab and Eleanor for being mad at Devi. She has lied to them, yelled at them, not noticed when they needed her, meddled in their personal lives, and ditched them when she knew that they needed her. Yes, she is acting out because she hasn't dealt with losing her dad, but as Fabiola pointed out, that doesn't give her a free pass to be a crappy friend over and over. She keeps choosing not to prioritize their friendship and then she expects them to be there for her.

Likewise, I understand why her therapist suggested that maybe Devi needs to see someone else but of course Devi interpreted it as getting dumped instead of someone genuinely trying to help her.

I don't know what to make of Paxton kissing Devi. He has gone back and forth between being nice and somewhat aloof. I think he has been far kinder to her than he had to be in multiple situations (he took her to the hospital, he didn't tell anyone that she lied about having sex with him, and he helped her out of the pool instead of just standing there letting her be embarrassed), but I don't know if he really likes her as more than a girl he knows.

I didn't like the McEnroe narration in the earlier episodes, but hearing him refer to Devi as a sexual conquistador cracked me up.

On 5/11/2020 at 10:11 PM, methodwriter85 said:

I'm choosing to see that scene as a reference to the Can't Buy Me Love scene where Amanda is idiotic enough to wear a thousand dollar white suede dress to a high school party.

On 5/19/2020 at 11:03 AM, Lovecat said:

I'm right there with you on the Can't Buy Me Love reference...as well as the Sixteen Candles reference, when Ben went in for another kiss after Devi said, "It's OK."  

"I meant it's OK that it happened ONCE, not that you should do it AGAIN!!"  ~Samantha Baker, after The Geek tries to smooch her the second time

Yes, I thought of both those movies too while I was watching this episode!

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 5