Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E11: This Is Not a Drill

(edited)

Should have been named "The Conspiracy of all Conspiracies"

The mayor should start wearing a dress because he has no balls.

The deceased African American man's body was planted, or the M.E. is giving a false report.

It also seemed like that investigation was more like a "kangaroo court" than an ethics hearing.

Edited by preeya
  • Love 6
(edited)

A couple of stray thoughts: Maybe it was an acting choice, but I found it odd that Tommy got so flustered when the guy lied. First of all, she didn’t seem prepared for the hearing which she had to know it was damned important and, thus, not to be taken lightly. Was she so naive to think that she would waltz in and tell her story and because it was the truth she would be believed? Doesn’t she know people are gunning for her?

Which leads to my next observation: Why in the world did she meet with the narcotics cop on her own? Why did she not have one of her many minions sitting in with them? Again, naive and dumb.

One more quick observation: Why, oh why, is she still talking to her lover? Does she NOT want her job?

Edited by SamBeckett
  • Useful 1
  • Love 7
28 minutes ago, SamBeckett said:

One more quick observation: Why, oh why, is she still talking to her lover? Does she NOT want her job?

IMO, I think the lover may have also been coerced and is part of the conspiracy.

• Love 5
15 hours ago, LisaM said:

I don't love giant conspiracies and I hope that Cooper does the right thing. 

I hope he does. Which is to become police Chief. He has the experience and credibility and would be a much better Chief that a transplanted New Yorker who was hired for political reasons. He deserves to be Chief and should let nothing stand out n his way.

• Love 1

I suppose I'll be attacked for this, but I don't see why Tommy was hired in the first place. I know they probably don't want to make her a superwoman, but I don't see anything that would warrant going tot he mat for her What, exactly, is her claim to fame?

(edited)
2 hours ago, The Ringo Kidd said:

I hope he does. Which is to become police Chief. He has the experience and credibility and would be a much better Chief that a transplanted New Yorker who was hired for political reasons. He deserves to be Chief and should let nothing stand out n his way.

This↑ might not be totally correct.

It seems he (Cooper) is or will be a pawn for the nefarious three that "offered" him the job.

Cooper is in a lose lose situation. It will be interesting to see how Tommy digs herself out of this mess {and you know she will}.

Edited by preeya
  • Love 4
(edited)

Near the end the camera showed Cooper looking intently (longingly? wistfully?) at the Chief’s empty office, which has to be Chekhov’s Gaze. 

Edited by shapeshifter
Stupid autocorrect
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
57 minutes ago, preeya said:

This↑ might not be totally correct.

It seems he (Cooper) is or will be a pawn for the nefarious three that "offered" him the job.

Cooper is in a lose lose situation. It will be interesting to see how Tommy digs herself out of this mess {and you know she will}.

How does he lose if he becomes Chief?

He deserves it and would be a much better Chief then the fumbling Carmela.

7 hours ago, SamBeckett said:

A couple of stray thoughts: Maybe it was an acting choice, but I found it odd that Tommy got so flustered when the guy lied. First of all, she didn’t seem prepared for the hearing which she had to know it was damned important and, thus, not to be taken lightly. Was she so naive to think that she would waltz in and tell her story and because it was the truth she would be believed? Doesn’t she know people are gunning for her?

Which leads to my next observation: Why in the world did she meet with the narcotics cop on her own? Why did she not have one of her many minions sitting in with them? Again, naive and dumb.

All of this!  I was screaming at the TV when she had the meeting with the narcotics cop - bring a witness or record this or SOMETHING!  I knew her "trust" was gonna bite her in the ass.   And maybe Cooper would have been a better choice for Chief, but if Tommy loses this job there isn't going to be a TV show, correct?  So my bet (because Cooper isn't a White Guy), is that he is going to do the right thing and help bring down the conspiracy.  On one hand, as much as he would probably want to be Chief, what is the quote? "Uneasy lies the head that wears the crown".  And he probably knows damn well that once the conspiracy gets what they want (Tommy out), they could throw him under the bus as well (and probably will).  

• Useful 2
  • Love 9
2 hours ago, The Ringo Kidd said:

How does he lose if he becomes Chief?

He deserves it and would be a much better Chief then the fumbling Carmela.

He'll be "owned" by the three conspirators that made him the offer he couldn't/didn't refuse.

Just like the mayor has "no balls" in dealing with his "friend" the deep pockets realtor.

• Love 6

I don’t think he would be owned by anyone once he gets the job. He is a cop in LA who knows where the bodies are buried. Tommy is a babe on the woods in comparison. Once he gets in power he can get enough dirt on the others to maintain his position.

Sort of what Ray Kelly did in NY. The opposite of what Bratton did in LA.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, The Ringo Kidd said:

I don’t think he would be owned by anyone once he gets the job. He is a cop in LA who knows where the bodies are buried. Tommy is a babe on the woods in comparison. Once he gets in power he can get enough dirt on the others to maintain his position.

Sort of what Ray Kelly did in NY. The opposite of what Bratton did in LA.

The name of the show is "Tommy" not "Cooper." You don't actually think she's history at this point?

Too many loose ends and lies for this to be her demise.

• LOL 1
  • Love 6

I don't have any doubt that Tommy will retain the job because otherwise there is no show. For me, the question is whether Cooper turns the tables on the 3 kingmakers and stays on the show or is taken down with them. It will also be interesting to see where the Mayor lands since he is fearful of the wealthy developer. Does he switch to Tommy's defense in order to free himself from the developer? 

• Love 6

It annoys me that they've written Tommy to be so naive. How the hell did she survive this long, with that kind of attitude? It's not like she's a rookie. And she's from NYC, right? Tell me they don't have politics in NYC....

It's embarrassing how they're making her so dim about this, even after she realizes she's being targeted.

I was also surprised that Blake went to The Mayor and showed all her cards. She's supposed to be more savvy than that.

• Love 10

What exact position does Tommy's assistant/driver hold in the LAPD?  It seemed rather authoritarian of him to just waltz up to a bunch of uniforms and demand to see what they were looking at on their phones.  He's certainly not their supervisor, as far as I know.  Admittedly, it was a crass cartoon, but it was the internet, not an inter-departmental memo or something.

Tommy should have come right back at the detective, demanding that he detail when and where the original conversation took place, and pin him down to details. It should be easy to get testimony from others in the office to contradict what he said.  I get that she was flustered, but, as pointed out above, she really ought to have a better head on her shoulders to be in a fishbowl job. 

Don't PD sketch artists generally use computer generated facial features now, so they can change and replace features to create the likeness?  Drawing seems to be old school.

• Love 3
17 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

Don't PD sketch artists generally use computer generated facial features now, so they can change and replace features to create the likeness?  Drawing seems to be old school.

They do both, but old fashioned paper an pencil is best if you're doing in on the downlow. I was surprised they let him take the picture he'd drawn though. 

• Love 1
On 5/1/2020 at 11:32 AM, SamBeckett said:

I suppose I'll be attacked for this, but I don't see why Tommy was hired in the first place. I know they probably don't want to make her a superwoman, but I don't see anything that would warrant going tot he mat for her What, exactly, is her claim to fame?

It was announced in the first scene of the series. Just as President Clinton decided that the Attorney General will be a woman in real life the Mayor after some sort of scandal with Corbin Bernsen decided that a woman would be Chief of Police. Along with a LAPD outsider as when Chief Williams replaced Chief gates following the  Rodney King riots

On 5/2/2020 at 1:07 AM, Dowel Jones said:

What exact position does Tommy's assistant/driver hold in the LAPD?  It seemed rather authoritarian of him to just waltz up to a bunch of uniforms and demand to see what they were looking at on their phones.  He's certainly not their supervisor, as far as I know.  Admittedly, it was a crass cartoon, but it was the internet, not an inter-departmental memo or something.

Way back in the day when Chief Parker took over the LADP in 1950 then Sergeant (on his way to Chief of Police) Darryl Gates was his driver. So the driver/bodyguard of the Chief became like a military General/Admiral's aide de camp. An officer being prepped for high command who often looked into things for the boss. So Diaz while just a detective and not actually in the chain of command moves around with everybody knowing that he is the Chief's eyes and ears in the field. And a word from him comes close to being an order from her.

• Love 5

I have to question the competency of this new tech officer that they have. Doesn't she know about the super-duper software that all the law enforcement agencies use that allows you to pull crystal clear images from any video cam no matter how blurry or distant the suspect is? Then all she needs to do is say "Let me run this through facial rec", push a button, and then ten seconds later you have the suspect identified. I see this technology used on all the other cop shows in existence so I know it must exist.

• LOL 10
4 minutes ago, Rambler said:

I have to question the competency of this new tech officer that they have. Doesn't she know about the super-duper software that all the law enforcement agencies use that allows you to pull crystal clear images from any video cam no matter how blurry or distant the suspect is? Then all she needs to do is say "Let me run this through facial rec", push a button, and then ten seconds later you have the suspect identified. I see this technology used on all the other cop shows in existence so I know it must exist.

THIS ↑.  The tech person on FBI is the best at this. Traffic cams that track people no matter where they are (even in rural areas where there is no traffic), instant license plate images and facial rec from any angle without blur. That said, Penelope on CM was the fastest typist in the world. She could process a query faster than any agent could give her the parameters and have a complete history of a perp within seconds.

The name of the show is "Tommy" not "Cooper." You don't actually think she's history at this point?

I am sorry to see "Tommy" go.  In spite of its flaws, it was both watchable and entertaining.

As I wrote weeks ago, I am a big Edie Falco fan.  She will find something else relatively soon.  And I will be one of the first ones to support it.intro-1570813789.thumb.jpg.9943f025b2f20829e42a3bbb952379ee.jpg

• Love 6
(edited)

This show is an interchangeable piece of Hollywood propaganda aimed at half of the country with the same tiresome “woke” plots that they recycle on most of the other police procedurals. You can see the same bullshit on Dick Wolf’s shows like the FBI or Chicago PD where the main crime problem is white supremacy and every businessman or clergyman is a criminal. This show steadily lost ratings and I believe it was the worst rated drama on the network.

There is a place for a show like this. Netflix on a limited run. They would have to up their game but they might have survived for a season or two.

Edited by The Ringo Kidd
  • Love 1
On 5/1/2020 at 7:08 PM, The Ringo Kidd said:

I don’t think he would be owned by anyone once he gets the job. He is a cop in LA who knows where the bodies are buried. 

...and the first body would be his.

He's the low man on the totem poll and a sudden newcomer to a secret subversive group. He will be nothing more than a puppet, and if all goes wrong, a patsy. And I suspect he knows that.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, mojito said:

...and the first body would be his.

He's the low man on the totem poll and a sudden newcomer to a secret subversive group. He will be nothing more than a puppet, and if all goes wrong, a patsy. And I suspect he knows that.

Too bad we'll never know.