Type keyword(s) to search

Swimming: Aquaman, Eat Your Heart Out!

• Start Topic

I had a wee crush on Thorpe back when he debuted at the Sydney Olympics in 2000. Great body like most swimmers, Ok face (much better than Phelps) and he usually seemed nice in interviews. I haven't really kept up with him over the years, but that's cool that he came out.

Maybe Phelps will admit to being a stoner and Lochte is an arse.

• Love 1

I had a wee crush on Thorpe back when he debuted at the Sydney Olympics in 2000. Great body like most swimmers, Ok face (much better than Phelps) and he usually seemed nice in interviews. I haven't really kept up with him over the years, but that's cool that he came out.

Maybe Phelps will admit to being a stoner and Lochte is an arse.

And that water is wet and ice is cold.

• Love 1

Not a huge surprise.  That rumor has been out there for years; it's just taken a long time for Thorpe to get over his own denial, and speculation is that it was a contributing factor to why he was in inpatient rehab for depression and drug & alcohol problems earlier this year. Summary here for those who can't get the Australian broadcast:

http://www.swimvortex.com/the-bigger-issues-on-ian-thorpe-health-happiness-depression-loneliness-more/

Hope he can go forward and find peace in his life.

• Love 2

So Phelps is arrested for a second DUI, and has entered rehab. Court date in November. USA Swimming has served him a six month suspension (though he can still train at NBAC) and he was withdrawn from the Worlds team (apparently by mutual agreement with USA Swimming). Since Worlds is the last big international competition before Rio, does this effectively kill his come back? Or could he still potentially swim at Nationals and get a spot to swim at the Trials?

I am wondering that if Michael completes treatment, pays his fines/serves jail time/does community service, and serves his suspension, if USA Swimming might potentially reinstate him for Worlds pending good behavior? Especially since it looks like they agreed upon the withdrawal, perhaps they are hedging their bets that he'll get back on the straight and narrow after all this passes.

There are lot of divided opinions about this but, no matter how good a swimmer he is and how much USA Swimming "needs" him to be seen, with a second DUI, I think this seems like a pretty fair punishment (in addition to whatever jail time/community service/fines he will have). He clearly has difficulty making sound decisions on occasion-- at least three that we know about. I love Phelps as a swimmer but I really hope he gets his head on straight with rehab/treatment, as his lapses in judgement seem to result in some pretty terrible "mistakes" and he doesn't seem to have learned his lesson.

USA Swimming is deep enough that it's not too unusual for one of the big names to botch the annual international A squad/national team selection meet and miss qualifying for Worlds/Olympics/Pan Pacs and then successfully come back the following year just fine. The issue tends to be if you're at the level where you can final at the big international meets but don't quite have the sponsorship deals coming in- getting named to the US National Team (which is different than getting named to an Olympic or World Championships team, though there's usually about a 90% overlap between those two lists) gets you about a $38K a year stipend plus full health insurance and some additional endorsement deals from USA Swimming if you've got a Top 12-16 (it varies every year) World ranking in at least one event.

So if you're on the fringes, national team status can make the difference of whether you can afford to train another year. But for someone like Phelps, even if he had a massive bad luck streak while gambling, he still doesn't need the national team money.

Phelps' withdrawl means that Tim Phillips gets added to the 2015 World Championships squad in the 100 fly, and his other slots look like they roll down to swimmers already selected to the WC team. Not sure how the National Team spots shake out.

I don't see USA Swimming reinstating Phelps, and suspect that there was an agreement made in conference call among Chuck Wiegus, Bob

Bowman, Phelps, and USAS' legal counsel.

Phelps has already met time standards for the 2016 USA Olympic Trials- Qualifying period started on July 30, 2014, and both summer nationals and Pan Pacs were after that date. So he's qualified for Trials in the 100 free, 100 back, 100 fly, and 200 IM. (Don't remember if he's got a 200 free time from Pan Pacs, and those results aren't nicely up on Omega Timing's web site.)

Edited by selkie

In swimming news: Phelps might possibly be reinstated for Worlds. Can't say I'm totally surprised, though nothing has been announced yet and I also wouldn't be surprised if he still missed it.

In sad news, French gold medalist Camille Muffat was killed in a helicopter crash in Argentina. So sad-- I remember when she won her gold medal in London. Apparently Alain Bernard was also supposed to be in one of the two helicopters that crashed, but was placed in another due to weight restriction.

Edited by catray

Camille was always described as a quiet, shy sort. Reports from her boyfriend are that she was very happy during filming, and people might have really seen her coming out of her shell during the show.

The show's contestants really were  A-list of French sport outside of soccer. Cyclist Jeanne Luongo and figure skater Phillippe Candalero were also part of the cast that wasn't on the helicopters.

I absolutely love swimming and have been in the water since I was a baby. I currently am finishing up my Senior Year of High School on our Swim Team and I also swim for a local Swim Club. During the Summer I am a Lifeguard and now work at the Swim Club teaching little kids how to swim Part Time. Swimming is so great for exercise as well as I train and work on my swim strokes and stamina 6 days a week.

• Love 2
On 2/20/2017 at 3:46 PM, Splishy Splashy said:

I absolutely love swimming and have been in the water since I was a baby. I currently am finishing up my Senior Year of High School on our Swim Team and I also swim for a local Swim Club. During the Summer I am a Lifeguard and now work at the Swim Club teaching little kids how to swim Part Time. Swimming is so great for exercise as well as I train and work on my swim strokes and stamina 6 days a week.

It sounds as though we may see you in Tokyo in 2020, or maybe at the Olympics in 2024.  Is that one of your life goals?  :)

• Love 1

This is somewhat off topic, but still wanted (had) to share... My family runs a non-profit with a mission of increasing awareness of SIDS and educating families about safe sleep (Charlie's Kids Foundation, named after my nephew Charlie who died at 3 weeks from SIDS). As part of our education component, we distribute a children's board book we created called Sleep Baby Safe and Snug. We distribute them in 48 states through hospitals, departments of health, pediatricians and community based organizations. 

Well, color me surprised last night when I saw Ryan Lochte reading it aloud to his new baby Caiden in a video posted to his instagram! ACK! I admit to always thinking he's a tool (vandalizing a gas station?? REALLY??), but right here he has made me a fan for life. :-)

(as a former butterflyer with the shoulders to prove it, I have long chosen Phelps over Lochte... Looks like I will have to root on both now!)

"Sleep sleep my son."

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, betsyboo said:

This is somewhat off topic, but still wanted (had) to share... My family runs a non-profit with a mission of increasing awareness of SIDS and educating families about safe sleep (Charlie's Kids Foundation, named after my nephew Charlie who died at 3 weeks from SIDS). As part of our education component, we distribute a children's board book we created called Sleep Baby Safe and Snug. We distribute them in 48 states through hospitals, departments of health, pediatricians and community based organizations. 

Well, color me surprised last night when I saw Ryan Lochte reading it aloud to his new baby Caiden in a video posted to his instagram! ACK! I admit to always thinking he's a tool (vandalizing a gas station?? REALLY??), but right here he has made me a fan for life. :-)

(as a former butterflyer with the shoulders to prove it, I have long chosen Phelps over Lochte... Looks like I will have to root on both now!)

"Sleep sleep my son."

I think fatherhood is going to do for Ryan what it did for Bode Miller.  Bode really grew up and matured after his daughter was born, and I can see Ryan undergoing the same type of transformation as he raises Caiden.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, legaleagle53 said:

I think fatherhood is going to do for Ryan what it did for Bode Miller.  Bode really grew up and matured after his daughter was born, and I can see Ryan undergoing the same type of transformation as he raises Caiden.

fingers crossed! it's certainly worked for Michael.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, healthnut said:

Anyone been watching the World Championships this year?

I've been following the Canadian women's team, as we're a year out from Tokyo.

• Love 1
On 7/27/2019 at 2:19 PM, healthnut said:

Anyone been watching the World Championships this year?

Oh yeah. Love it!

Simone Manuel and Caeleb Dressel were dominant as expected. It’s such a shame that Katie Ledecky was sick — glad she was able to come back and gut out the 800. Regan Smith sure seemed to come out of nowhere (to me, anyway) to destroy the backstroke records. Kathleen Baker REALLY has her work cut out for her to get back on top in the U.S. after her pneumonia and broken rib. 

The U.S. didn’t seem to do quite as well in relays as usual, though they absolutely crushed a few.

• Love 2

There's been a good amount of buzz about Regan Smith over on Swim Swam and such- she's been a very impressive age grouper since her 12& under days, a 2017 World Championship finalist at age 15, and the official world junior record holder in the 200 back. (Though granted the official junior records don't include a lot of really good swims from before there was such a designated youth category) But even her biggest fans didn't see that 2:03 coming. 

Like Katie Ledecky in 2012, it's a case of an athlete who is seen as having a huge upside down the road but is probably arriving somewhat ahead of expected schedule. 

Pretty much the typical World Championships meet- some really awesome performances as well as the usual controversy and trainwreck moments. 

• Love 4

Regan Smith was definitely a highlight, I’m surprised she didn’t make the team on the 100m though considering she killed the relay. 

Simone was fantastic in her individual events and Lily and Caleb were amazing all around. This mixed medley relay is going to be nuts to watch next summer. 

I guess we don’t have any real standouts in the IM events right now. 

Poor Katie. At least she’s got tons of experience to rely on, she’ll be fine next year and that loss in the 400m will probably light an even greater fire, but she’s definitely going to have a full plate. 

Wish the best for Nathan Adrian and his cancer fight. 

• Love 1
7 hours ago, healthnut said:

Regan Smith was definitely a highlight, I’m surprised she didn’t make the team on the 100m though considering she killed the relay. 

USA Swimming did that stupid thing again when it selected its international teams for 2019 based on 2018 results, and Smith was third best in the event based on last year's times so didn't get an individual swim. We also didn't have the pre-WC world leader in the women's 200 breast in 2019- Annie Lazor- because of that selection process. And Ella Eastin, who would have been a finalist in the 400 IM based on early 2018 performances but missed selection in the event because she got mono right before 2018 summer nationals. 

• Useful 1
(edited)

And if anyone wants another datapoint on why it's a bad idea to pick your 2019 team in 2018, Ryan Held just went 47.43 in the 100 free prelims. This is a new US Open record (fastest swim by an athlete of any nationality on US soil) and is faster than the bronze medal time at Worlds. 

Regan Smith is the top qualifier in the 200 butterfly, and it's going to be interesting to see her progress. We're in between generational talents right now in that event (2019 World champion Boglarka Karpas was nearly a second slower than Mary Meagher's 2:05.9 at Brown Deer in 1981) and while the Olympic final will be faster, anyone who can go a 2:06 remains a medal contender in the race

This is a selection meet for the broader (not for a specific international event) US National and US Junior National teams and a top 8 or top 16 world ranking coming out of this meet can mean a bigger paycheck from USA Swimming for 2020. 

Edited by selkie
(edited)

I have been watching the swimming Olympic trials on NBC the last several nights. I am one of those people that the swimmers were talking about that only become interested in the sport in Olympic years. I hope there are more educated followers who are reading this thread and can answer a question. On Tuesday night, at the end of the broadcast, while Mike Tirico was doing an interview about the track & field trials (WTF?), in the background, it looked like one swimmer was in the pool doing a distance swim with the crowd cheering so loud, it almost drowned out the interview. Can anyone tell me what was going on (since obviously NBC didn't care)? Maybe @selkie?

Edited by Good Queen Jane

I am only guessing but at most big meets there are "time trials".  For a fee, you can have the opportunity to attempt a swim that meets a qualifying time.  So for instance, if someone has been injured and hasn't yet had the opportunity to swim a certain event to meet the Olympic qualifying time, they can pay the entrance fee and try to gain entry into the field.  The disadvantage is you are swimming against yourself instead of using your competition to pace you.

I see it a lot in the age group swimmers when they are trying to make a National cut or something.

(edited)

Thank you so much, @Bewitched. Based on your information, I was able to find this, which reported that Jake Mitchell qualified for the Olympic team in the 400 freestyle through a time trial on Tuesday night, which would explain why the crowd was cheering so loud. However, this leads to another question, are the USA men not competitive in the 400 freestyle since only one swimmer had made the Olympic qualifying time?

Edited by Good Queen Jane
3 hours ago, Good Queen Jane said:

Thank you so much, @Bewitched. Based on your information, I was able to find this, which reported that Jake Mitchell qualified for the Olympic team in the 400 freestyle through a time trial on Tuesday night, which would explain why the crowd was cheering so loud. However, this leads to another question, are the USA men not competitive in the 400 freestyle since only one swimmer had made the Olympic qualifying time?

It’s not a strong discipline for the US for whatever reason.  The US men haven’t gotten a gold in that event since 1984. 

I've been watching the try-outs as well. Swimming is one of those sports (along with diving) that I only follow in the olympics. I am enjoying watch it a lot. However I had a weird mandela effect where I could have sworn Michael Phelps swam the 1500 and was so far a head of everyone else (I remember him being like a half a pool at least ahead and it lasting a really long time). Then of course he wins. But apparently this isn't possible as the event was just added for 2021 olympics. So it had to be another event like a 800? But I can't find the clip of him being so far ahead. Does anyone else remember this?

9 minutes ago, blueray said:

I've been watching the try-outs as well. Swimming is one of those sports (along with diving) that I only follow in the olympics. I am enjoying watch it a lot. However I had a weird mandela effect where I could have sworn Michael Phelps swam the 1500 and was so far a head of everyone else (I remember him being like a half a pool at least ahead and it lasting a really long time). Then of course he wins. But apparently this isn't possible as the event was just added for 2021 olympics. So it had to be another event like a 800? But I can't find the clip of him being so far ahead. Does anyone else remember this?

I, too, only watch swimming and diving in the Olympics, so I watch the trials.  You weren't imagining things, the 1500 was already there for the men, but they just added it for the women for the 2021 Olympics. 

• Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, blueray said:

Michael Phelps didn't swim distance events. His longest events were 200 meters. 

eta He might have done the 400 IM, not sure about that one. 

Edited by emmawoodhouse
  • Useful 1
3 hours ago, blueray said:

Ladecky had a race like that in Rio.  She finished 11 seconds ahead of the next swimmer in the 800.  It was a little bit like Secretariat when there was no other competitor in the close up shot and they kept panning farther and farther out to find someone else.

I was excited to read that they are going to do mixed relay races in Tokyo, I think in the 100 freestyle and 100 medley. I think it would be fun to watch a relay with both men and women competing together. When did they start doing those? I understand they will also be doing mixed relays in track too.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

Hooray for Simone Manuel and Nathan Adrian for making their respective finals tomorrow night.

Am I the only one who doesn't care one way or another about last night being Ryan Lochte's final swim?  He was a great swimmer, but I've always thought he was kind of a jerk, and his shenanigans in Rio really reinforced that.  

I'm rooting for Anna Lazor to medal, big time. 

• Love 3

Ah, RyRy. He became my Olympics boyfriend in 2008. Lol My impression was he was just kind of dopey and immature but otherwise pretty harmless. I still don’t really understand what made him concoct that story in Rio. He wasn’t having a great Olympics, I just think he lost his mind. And even though he’s cleaned up his image with marriage and kids and was hoping for a redemption story, that mess in Rio will always be the lasting impression most people have of him.

I really hope Simone Manuel and Nathan Adrian pull through tomorrow. And even if they make it, it seems like there are a whole lot of new faces on this year‘s team.

• Love 2
(edited)

I didn't even know that he didn't make it. But I can't say I'm surprised as he barely made the finals to begin with. I also got the impression that he was a jerk after the stuff in Rio. Apparently he had another scandal in 2018 involving IV's. I wasn't sure what that was about but the article I just read regarding Friday's race mentioned it. I think Michael Phelps had the right idea got out on top and retire with dignity. Ryan won't get his redemption at least in the pool but he can outside of it. 

Edited by blueray
  • Love 3
25 minutes ago, Crashcourse said:

I don't remember the woman's name who would do the stupid dance before the swim, but I'm glad she didn't make the team so I don't have to watch her anymore.

I kind of agree. I feel like if she had then the announcers would have kept mentioning it. And then she would have became a meme. Maybe that's what she is hoping for. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Crashcourse said:

I don't remember the woman's name who would do the stupid dance before the swim, but I'm glad she didn't make the team so I don't have to watch her anymore.

OMG. It would be one thing if she just sort of looked natural, but she’s just so exaggerated and kooky. Ugh.

Lochte’s problem in 2018 was that he took some sort of vitamin infusion that contained a banned substance. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, blueray said:

I kind of agree. I feel like if she had then the announcers would have kept mentioning it. And then she would have became a meme. Maybe that's what she is hoping for. 

Yes, she's already on Tik Tok.  

I’m so glad Simone pulled through and qualified for the 50. Those who are more up on swimming camps, is she out of contention for the 4x100 relay or can they still select her? Phelps always swam in it and I’m pretty sure he didn’t swim the 100 at trials. 

• Love 1

Great display of sportsmanship from Nathan Adrian.  He saw he didn't make the team, yet congratulated the winners with a genuine smile and good wishes.  I sure wish he would have made it to Tokyo!

• Love 5
On 6/20/2021 at 12:57 PM, tanyak said:

Lochte’s problem in 2018 was that he took some sort of vitamin infusion that contained a banned substance. 

USADA confirmed that no banned substances were involved - it was the infusion itself that was unapproved. USA He needed a special exemption to get an IV of more than 100ml. Lochte still violated an anti-doping rule and was suspended for a time.

On the subject of doping, though, there's this: China’s Sun Yang Barred From Swimming for Four Years .

• Love 1