Type keyword(s) to search

• Start Topic

Abishola takes her relationship with Bob to the next level when she invites him into an intimate part of her life: church. Also, Kemi fights with Ogechi to be Chukwuemeka's favorite.

Airdate: 03/09/2020

Sorry to be off topic so early in the thread, but can anyone help? In the preview for next week,

Spoiler

does anyone recognize the ex? She is very familiar but I just can’t place her. 

53 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

Sorry to be off topic so early in the thread, but can anyone help? In the preview for next week,

Reveal spoiler

does anyone recognize the ex? She is very familiar but I just can’t place her. 

Spoiler

Nicole Sullivan she was on MadTv, King of Queens, & Black-ish amongst a myriad of other things.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Dele cracked me up both with his interactions with his mother and at the church with Bob. 

Kemi and Ogechi also amused me. I can definitely see why Ogechi dislikes Kemi after their interactions in this episode. 

• Love 5

Kemi giving a hard time to Ogechi was so hilarious. I envy her confidence. And she is always so pretty when we see her outside of her Hospital scrubs. She might become my second favorite character after Olu-Tunde's amazing combo.

I did not like how condescending Bob was at the dinner table when Abishola invited him to church, and it also felt a little out of character. He seems to read social clues better on other occasions but he just said too many of the wrong things there for no reason.

• Love 8
4 minutes ago, Harvey said:

Kemi giving a hard time to Ogechi was so hilarious. I envy her confidence. And she is always so pretty when we see her outside of her Hospital scrubs. She might become my second favorite character after Olu-Tunde's amazing combo.

I did not like how condescending Bob was at the dinner table when Abishola invited him to church, and it also felt a little out of character. He seems to read social clues better on other occasions but he just said too many of the wrong things there for no reason.

That was a fast escalation from I never really thought about church/God to anti on Bob's part. they had the earlier episode mention of faith along with the celibacy episode he should have had something ready even if not expecting an invitation at that moment.

Kemi making all around her uncomfortable talking about her sexual exploits before services began was a trip.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
9 minutes ago, Harvey said:

Exactly. The writers completely changed Bob's character to justify the plot's machinations. He was so uncharacteristically tone-deaf about the religion situation that the discussion became unbelievable. I also find it hard to believe that a serious discussion about religion hadn't come up before now, especially since it's such a big part of Abishola's family's life.

Still, the reactions of Abishola's son to Bob's (ridiculously uncharacteristic) predicament were hilarious.

Which brings up: Shouldn't Bob be more involved with her son at this point of their relationship?

• Love 4
45 minutes ago, rasalas said:

Which brings up: Shouldn't Bob be more involved with her son at this point of their relationship?

Dele went to Bob when he had a problem (if I recall I think it was when he wanted to be a dancer not a doctor). Abishola did not respond well.  It's hard to know how long they've been "dating," so it's hard to know if Dele should be around Bob more or not.  A lot of single parents wait a long time before introducing kids to the new boyfriend/girlfriend. 

• Love 5

I thought this episode was really funny. Fish out of water Bob in church was great. 

Kemi is a jewel. More Kemi and Vernie. Less Abishola. 

Abishola's son was awesome. 

Bob is an all star, but he could do better than sour puss Abishola.

What does he see in her?

Have we ever seen her happy? Or even pleasant? 

I would miss Tunde more if I was Bob and broke up with Abishola. 

• Love 2
43 minutes ago, Tosia said:

I thought this episode was really funny.

This was funniest to me too, but humor is largely a matter of being able to relate to the experiences being made fun of. I have spent a lot of time in churches like Abishola's, but I also have a lot of anti-religious family members, both of Jewish and Christian backgrounds.  

26 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

Abishola's son was awesome.

It seemed like he really had a chance to shine in this episode.  And a lot of in parts where he didn't have a line of dialog.

Travis Wolfe Jr./Dele seems to be a fantastic young actor. I hope he survives the stresses of growing up on screen and continues to do good work.

Have we ever seen her happy?

I'm pretty sure that Abishola's outward reserve is supposed to be typical of her social peers back in Nigeria, because her aunt and uncle can be a bit guarded too. Likewise, Kemi and her boyfriend's mother were saying a lot of veiled things to each other.
I am just finishing up a children's book illustration job that requires depicting emotions. I had to push back a bit when the author didn't understand the expression on the face of an Asian child and wanted me to make changes that would have obliterated the child's identity.
Likewise, Abishola does not seem like a "sour puss" to me as many here have perceived. To me her range of emotions are displayed within a different scale, just like different cultures have different musical scales within which their songs are composed.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 7

I liked Bob's line about the Lions and what kind of a God would punish people for that long. Of course, I'm from Michigan, so I know what he means.

19 hours ago, Tosia said:

Bob is an all star, but he could do better than sour puss Abishola.

What does he see in her?

Have we ever seen her happy? Or even pleasant? 

She is as joyless a character that's been on TV in a long time. I get that Bob's a lonely, middle-aged man, but damn. I get the stoic/flat-affect cultural thing, but she doesn't seem happy most of the time. Her aunt and uncle come from the same cultural background, but they have their jokes and funny interactions, which Abby isn't usually a part of.

Edited by Winston Wolfe
  • Love 3

Being fair to Abishola, she is an RN but seems to be support an aunt and uncle along with her son and her husband up and left for another woman. Despite her high profile position she rides a bus to work and probably had no other man show interest in her until Bob heard her singing. Only to have Chukwuemeka turn her off as an alternative.

• Love 9

I really liked that Bob and Abishola wound up on the park bench again and there was some sweet chemistry for a change. Reminded me of why I enjoyed the show so much in the beginning. Now, it's mostly Tunde and Olu that keep me interested.

• Love 5
On 3/10/2020 at 7:57 PM, Raja said:

Being fair to Abishola, she is an RN but seems to be support an aunt and uncle along with her son and her husband up and left for another woman. Despite her high profile position she rides a bus to work and probably had no other man show interest in her until Bob heard her singing. Only to have Chukwuemeka turn her off as an alternative.

Oh you think Abisola supports her aunt and uncle?  I don’t know if yes or no on that detail.  I have wondered how they’re able to pay for living in an apartment and other expenses.

Upon thinking over it, I don’t think so.  Abisola is a grown woman, so her mother doesn’t need to send money to her sister (A’s aunt)-A's name is long to type, ugh.  Ab probably puts in money for a share of the rent.

I find Ab a sourpuss, but it may be the reserve from her culture, so I’m not sure if I don’t like her or cut her slack.  Think over it more.

Kemi, shaking my head, trying to wrestle a mama’s boy from the mama.  Good luck.  Those women are awful.

On 3/12/2020 at 3:41 PM, eyesopen said:

Oh you think Abisola supports her aunt and uncle?  I don’t know if yes or no on that detail.  I have wondered how they’re able to pay for living in an apartment and other expenses.

Do we know how long they've been in this country?  Maybe they've been here a while and are collecting retirement income.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I wonder if Abishola's aunt and uncle would like Bob so much if he were a 'pool white man'?

I like their characters as they are entertaining and funny but I think they're chasing the 'bucks' here for Abishola and themselves. Remember in an earlier episode how impressed they were with his house and pictured themselves living there also? 

Abishola just isn't in to Bob and she has been forced in to spending time with him. Why Bob is still chasing her, I'll never know. They introduced yet another difference between them, that being her devotion to her religion and Bob growing up with really no religion. He can't relate to it as it appeared to me in the episode. Why then would they continue? 

• Love 1
On 3/10/2020 at 8:28 AM, Harvey said:

I did not like how condescending Bob was at the dinner table when Abishola invited him to church, and it also felt a little out of character.

The way I saw it, Bob was defensive more than anything else...he didn't really have any solid arguments, and he started flailing because he was uncomfortable. That was also why he went home and immediately started questioning his mother about why they hadn't been raised with religion.

On 3/12/2020 at 3:41 PM, eyesopen said:

Most likely Abishola pays some kind of rent, and toward the food and utilities she and her son use...so whatever they get with social security or what have you stretches further.

• Love 1
On 3/14/2020 at 4:57 AM, floridamom said:

I wonder if Abishola's aunt and uncle would like Bob so much if he were a 'pool white man'?

Probably not.

It’s clearly and crassly unromantic to look/like a man for his monetary value, but there is some value in that.  It’s just something that shouldn’t be mentioned, looking at people as potential serious life partners with good financial stability.  Saying it out look makes a person look greedy, a golddigger.

Of course, for me, I wouldn’t stay  with a rich guy if he has a dirt bag or other undesirable personality.  I’ve always had this fantasy of meeting and getting involved with a very rich celebrity and tell him don’t worry I’ll treat you normally and won’t run around on you and not get messed up in the head by your wealth.  (I hope on that last bit, lol)

• Love 1